It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to abolish political correctness?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Have you ever heard of a necessary evil?

If we stop allowing kids to feel that they have a right to be offended all the time over often petty things, then when they grow older, they'll be able to speak their minds ala 'free speech' and won't have anyone be offended by it.

PC culture won't exist because we will have eradicated it from the youth. No-one's offended, everyone's happy.

Forget Trump, I should run for president.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: ketsuko

You poor, poor victim ...

I'm sorry if you chose to assume that using an example based a discussion you were already having was "not addressing the main question."

I could have tried it using faith, and then you would have spent all that time yelling about Christian victimhood.

I did indeed address you point by explaining exactly why PC is a problem. Go back and see for yourself.

Yea, I already KNOW you think PC is a problem. This is why I'm accusing you of not bringing anything to the table. You just brought the same standard arguments against PC that anti-PC always bring. I've heard them all before. I want to know what you plan on DOING about it now.

What's the plan on DOING something about it? Hmmm, elect trump....

So what is Trump going to do? Say a bunch of obnoxious things? How is that going to make PC go away?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Exactly. People are more aware of what constitutes intolerance and they are willing to speak up about it. That's really all there is to it.

No. People are widening the definition of what intolerance is, and that is a serious problem. It takes away from the definition of true intolerance and further polarizes people.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: DBCowboy

So how is telling people they shouldnt be pc not dictating the message?

You are telling me I can't convey the message I want...

Nope. Place all the filters you want on what you say. I don't care.

But don't place YOUR filters on what I say.

Don't worry, you are free to make a fool out of yourself anytime you like.

Just don't get pissie when someone points it out....

And there has a to a point at which people just plain put a muzzle on it.

Should I have to feel ashamed or be bullied because I mention to a coworker that I brought a brown bag lunch?

In some place, someone might decide I was being racist. Don't I have a right to get "pissie" if someone decides to police my speech and bully me for saying brown bag?

Sorry, to me that just sounds like BS, hyperbole and playing the victim card.

Don't be bullied...punch em in the ****in nose.

Nope. Seattle.

"This issue came up in one of the departments and I thought I'd send it around as an fyi for your consideration," the memo reads. "We often use the expression 'brown bag' to designate a bring-your-own lunch time event. We also use the word 'citizens' as a synonym for 'residents.'

"Innocuous phrases, right?" it went on. "Mm, not so much for. For some people, the phrase 'brown bag' calls up ugly associations with use of the expression 'brown bag' to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event, a home, etc.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
People just ain't as slow to label a bigot for bigotry

Because they aren't thinking about it first.
edit on 15/12/2015 by IridiumFlareMadness because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones but Names Can Never Hurt Me.

But names do hurt people.
And thousands upon thousands of not millions have attempted or been successful in their own suicide because of it.

And a prime example of names hurting people is you claiming I want to "bully" racists.

You're as PC as those you lambaste, just the polar opposite in reason.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well see, that's the beauty of this whole thing...

Nobody is forcing any kind of filters on you. It's just an illusion made up in your own mind brought on by the minority of whiners out there standing on their soapboxes screaming for attention.

The rest of us don't actually give a damn if you open your mouth and get your ass whooped.

The whiners run deep on both sides of this trivial little first-world 'problem'.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21

Have you ever heard of a necessary evil?

Necessary evil? In the other thread you were lamenting all the laws in Europe that are considered necessary evils to prevent the next Hitler. Clearly you and I wouldn't agree on what is and isn't a necessary evil, so how about just not siding with evil to begin with?

If we stop allowing kids to feel that they have a right to be offended all the time over often petty things, then when they grow older, they'll be able to speak their minds ala 'free speech' and won't have anyone be offended by it.

Wait so we tell kids to shut up and take it in response to being offended and that is going to translate to them being willing to speak up later in life? How does that work exactly? I would think that in order to foster the usage of free speech later in life, we PROMOTE speaking up when you are concerned about something, not shut up.

PC culture won't exist because we will have eradicated it from the youth. No-one's offended, everyone's happy.

Forget Trump, I should run for president.

Your solution is absurd and unrealistic.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
PC is just the newest phrase to rouse the nubs that can't think for themselves. Before "PC" it was "Entitled".

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Exactly. People are more aware of what constitutes intolerance and they are willing to speak up about it. That's really all there is to it.

No. People are widening the definition of what intolerance is, and that is a serious problem. It takes away from the definition of true intolerance and further polarizes people.

Who cares what someone else thinks is or isn't intolerant?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Child suspended from school for saying "Merry Christmas"
Thats what we're talking about when we say "PC nut jobs"

That never happened.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It seems shade hypocritical not to worry about the person you don't like's feels.

Yes some are hypocritical.

Even in this thread to the extent where they want to legislate to indoctrinate children into getting used to being offended as if that's healthy for a young child.

I however don't care about the feelings of any and I'll happily upset people I disagree with on both sides.

It just so happens that I see more homophobia than piss poor PC behaviour like "racist Star Wars", so it's usually the homophobes who claim " I'm just being traditional way wah wah" I end up locking horns with.
edit on 15-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

You poor, poor victim ...

I'm sorry if you chose to assume that using an example based a discussion you were already having was "not addressing the main question."

I could have tried it using faith, and then you would have spent all that time yelling about Christian victimhood.

I did indeed address you point by explaining exactly why PC is a problem. Go back and see for yourself.

Yea, I already KNOW you think PC is a problem. This is why I'm accusing you of not bringing anything to the table. You just brought the same standard arguments against PC that anti-PC always bring. I've heard them all before. I want to know what you plan on DOING about it now.

What's the plan on DOING something about it? Hmmm, elect trump....

So what is Trump going to do? Say a bunch of obnoxious things? How is that going to make PC go away?

Yep....

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

So how is that going to make PC go away?

link   

They sure do, and that goes for the anti-PC people just as much as the PC people. Being called a racist doesn't kill or maim you right?

Nope but it can cost you a job these days just one mere suspicion alone. Remember the gal who sent an off color tweet before boarding a plane to fly to Africa? The tweet got picked up by the social media and her firm had fired her before she got off the flight and even had any kind of chance to explain anything.

That goes beyond the saying, even beyond broken bones. Now she has a mark on her resume that she's going to have explain to every single future employer. If I remember right the tweet itself was one that could be interpreted one of several ways even.

It's interesting that you talk about "feelings" when the anti-PC people complain about PC because their feelings are hurt that they keep getting called bigot or other variations of that word for the things they say.

I think for people like the young lady above. It's something quite a bit more than simply having hurt feelings.

Trying to change society outside of legislation to be nicer to each other is a futile effort?

PC is not changing society for the better. It has created a society of bullies. Think out way or we'll destroy you and everything you hold dear (notice I'm not talking about feelings anymore). Ever been to a PC anti-bullying seminar? From the perspective of an anti-social introvert, you are simply teaching a new style of socially approved bullying and calling it anti-bullying. PC is the same only it goes further and destroys.

If we were actually ONLY talking about feelings, it would be one thing.

If we were only talking about feelings, I wouldn't be complaining. I deal with this kind of crap every day not being terribly PC myself and taking crap for it regularly on places like here where I don't feel as much like I'm risking my livelihood and family like I would be if I spouted in the real world.
edit on 15-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: amicktd
A short sample.

A List of Politically Correct Terms Published by Otto Graf
A List of Politically Correct Terms:
A Criminal - unsavory character
A Crook - morally (ethically) challenged
Abortion - Near-Life Experience
Alcoholic - Anti-Sobriety Activist
Alive - temporarily metabolically able.
An Immigrant - a newcomer
Assassination - involuntary term limitation
Bald - comb-free
Bald - folically independent
Bald - follicularly challenged
Battle Fatigued - shellshocked
Blind - optically darker
Blind - photonically non-receptive
Blind - visually challenged
Body Odor - nondiscretionary fragrance
Broken Down Automobile - mechanically challenged
Broken Home - Dysfunctional Family
Bum - Displaced Homeowner
Bum - Homeless Person
Bum - Involuntarily Domiciled
Cannibalism - Intra-Species Dining
Censorship - Selective Speech
Cheating - Academic Dishonesty
China - Porcelain
Chronically Late - Temporarily Challenged
Clumsy - uniquely coordinated
Commercial Fisherman - Flipper Whipper
Computer Illiterate - Technologically Challenged
Corpse - Permanently Static Post-Human Mass
Corpse / Stiff - Metabolically Challenged
Corpse / Stiff - Terminally Inconvenienced
Cowardly - Challenge Challenged
Cowboys - bovine control officers
Crackpot - certified astrological consultant, certifiedcrystal therapist, or certified past-life regressionhypnotist
Crime Rate - street activity index
Dead - Actuarially Mature
Dead - biologically challenged
Dead - environmentally correct human
Dead - living impaired
Dead - metabolically challenged
Dead - persons living with entropy
Deaf - Visually Oriented
Delicatessen - Corpse Farm
Dirty Old Man - sexually focused chronologically giftedindividual
Dish Washer - utensil sanitizer
Dishonest - Ethically disoriented
Dorm - Residence Hall
Drooling Drunk Idiot - person on floor
Drowning - aquatically challenged
Drug Addict - Chemically Challenged
Drunk - spacially perplexed
Drunk / Junkie - in recovery

And yes, when being PC, you do sound like as verbally condescending as this sometimes.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Yea well the world is run by people like you and look where that is taking us.

Sometimes a different approach is needed, whose to say what approach is right or wrong. The PC culture according to you.

You ask how to abolish PC culture and call anything that anyone comes up with absurd.

I think people like you like the current status quo...gives them a bit of power where none should be...
edit on 15-12-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

There is no way to go back. The problem i see is not the overall PC culture but it being used when it shouldn't apply. Your example when people decide you are a racist for disagreeing, or a bigot for putting safety in front of religion. Even if in your heart and your speech you hold no ill will too a specific race or religion, you are considered racist or bigoted for just disagreeing on political theory or idea. Example, i think all people coming to this country should have a good screening process. Some how thinking that makes me a bigot, racist,and a scared coward. That is the PC that worries me.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0tPoliticians, Teachers, News Papers, TV personalities just simply start speaking the way people actually are talking. Do not fear being ridiculed for your own thoughts. Speak your mind it is that simple. If you hurt someones feelings and it truthful to bad for them. The truth will always be correct. Feelings should not enter into the conversations when it comes to speech.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
People just ain't as slow to label a bigot for bigotry

Because they aren't thinking about it first.

When I grew up my parents taught me to have good manners and to "think before you speak"...

Shame, the bigots were just taught bigotry.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join