It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to abolish political correctness?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The trend began with discontinuing offensive words and phrases, then moved on to symbols, and now to religious and political ideologies. PC has become very complicated these days. The important ones I adhere to because I want to. If I was getting to know someone who used the 'n' word, I would disassociate myself from that person as I would if I saw a confederate flag or a swastika on their lawn. I would also disassociate myself from someone who told me not to say "Christmas".

So I just suit myself, pick and choose, not wanting to offend anyone, while protecting myself from being offended.

edit on 12/15/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Calling illegal aliens "undocumented workers".

Don't forget calling Syrian infiltrators "refugees".

Don't you mean political asylum seekers?

or

Migrants

Or

People, just people, moving from hell hole to another.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
So you readily admit it was you playing PC police and not me?

Yep. The best way to deal with people who claim to know what's in the hearts of other people based on a faux pas is letting them taste their own medicine.

And by the way...

Oriental is defined as "of, from, or characteristic of Asia, especially East Asia", there is nothing derogatory about it.

Yeah, rugs and vases from the Orient, not PEOPLE.

edit on 15-12-2015 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific

originally posted by: Enochstask

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Calling illegal aliens "undocumented workers".

Don't forget calling Syrian infiltrators "refugees".

Don't you mean political asylum seekers?

or

Migrants

Or

People, just people, moving from hell hole to another.

All acceptable.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
The trend began with discontinuing offensive words and phrases, then moved on to symbols, and now to religious and political ideologies. PC has become very complicated these days. The important ones I adhere to because I want to. If I was getting to know someone who used the 'n' word, I would disassociate myself from that person as I would if I saw a confederate flag on their lawn. I would also disassociate myself from someone who told me not to say "Christmas".

So I just suit myself, pick and choose, not wanting to offend anyone, while protecting myself from being offended.

I have a friend who ticks most offensive boxes. He is a 63 year old Scotsman who as an impressionable youf, was taught perceptions which now are mainly considered unacceptable.

I shake my head and tut, and I object to his views, but I cannot change him. He is what he is.

I still love him, and hope to shine a little bit of light on his dark homo/xenophobic soul. He is aware of his language and his views are not accepted by everyone, but it is what he believes.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Yep.

So your first post was a lie.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Asian is not a Race, you were wrong.
Difference is I admitted I was wrong yesterday, even sharing a link that had all the Races of the Orient proving myself wrong, and you've made it today's mission to drag it up again.

Asian is not a Race.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

Exactly.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Asian is not a Race.

Take it up with the Census.

Link

I'm just the messenger. 'Asian' represents all the PEOPLE native to the places you were referring to.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Asian is an ethnicity.

Take it up with the dictionary.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

I would like to ask, what is wrong with being politically correct?
Also, this new phenomenon of everyone being a special snowflake or delicate flower has me baffled too.

Political correctness would seem to run along a spectrum. People can be placed along that spectrum; the most notable of which are the extremes.

The internet and social media have had significant role to play - hyper-connectivity facilitates seemily minor stories 'blowing-up' such that they are being discussed around the world within a matter of hours. (ATS is such a forum)

Anything to do with language will always be fluid & dynamic - the zeitgeist shifts and language and other aspects of culture reflect this fact.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Asian is an ethnicity.

Either way, at least it refers to people and doesn't liken them to rugs on which you stamp your feet.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Asian is an ethnicity.

the "Asian" race is actually Mongoloid

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yeah I thought that previously and my link proved that.
Too bad the thread was deleted.

Others decided that Asian was a Race when Asian is an ethnicity which covers plenty of different Races.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Definition:
Oriental;
Of, from, or characteristic of Asia, especially East Asia...

From.

It refers to peoples as well, not just rugs and vases.

And it's not "either way", read a dictionary and some examples of the word in a sentence.
Referring to people as Oriental is not derogatory and is factually applicable.

Back on topic now, hopefully.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

Yeah I thought that previously and my link proved that.
Too bad the thread was deleted.

Others decided that Asian was a Race when Asian is an ethnicity which covers plenty of different Races.

I am so entertained that you are hellbent on calling people -- human beings -- 'Orientals.' But you have the utmost respect for differentiating between the terms 'race' and 'ethnicity' because you are just so goshdarn committed to being precise about what you meant.

LOL. You meant Asian people are like rugs and vases. Objects.

edit on 15-12-2015 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The solution to being too pc will not be achieved with legislation just as being pc was not achieved with legislation in the first place.

If someone says something that you consider racist, bigoted, or xenophobic, you have a choice. As you said, you cant put the cat back in the bag. Your choice is to get on with your life or act like judge and jury, accuse and convict, then punish someone for saying something you don't like. They hurt someone's feelings so you are going to hurt theirs.

You say that you are exercising free speech and I am sure you don't expect reprisal for it. What about the free speech of the people you are persecuting? And that is exactly what it is. Persecution. Free speech applies to everyone, not just those with political beliefs similar to yours. Free speech means sometimes you are going to hear things you don't like. If your response is name calling and shaming I suggest you examine yourself before you start acting like judge and jury for others.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Whatever, bruv.

link   

AND

Of course you would speak for all Asians. The term is imperialist and patronizing to them. Good on you for just being up front about your feelings.

No doubt you enjoy other 'factual' derogatory terms for human beings, too.

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
[X][X][X]

The answer is: PC is merely a vapid generalist term used to refer to anything that a given speaker (often conservative) doesn't approve of ... i.e. referring to "PC" is actually very PC (Conservative version.)

No one has been punished by government for being "PC."

What other people do, how they react, is as much an expression of the general "freedom of speech" (not Constitutional) as when so many whine about PC-ness.

It's The Same Thing.

Yep. They complain about people being pressured with "PC" terms, then turn around and complain when people say:

1. "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"

2. "Terrorist" or "Wahabbi Extremist" instead of "Radical Islam"

3. "Black Lives Matter" instead of "All Lives Matter"

4. Anything that blames conservatives, Christian conservatives, or even mentions "gun control".

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

AND

Of course you would speak for all Asians. The term is imperialist and patronizing to them. Good on you for just being up front about your feelings.

No doubt you enjoy other 'factual' derogatory terms for human beings, too.

That's the only thing you've got right in this whole 2 day sequence, yes it is seen as derogatory.
Never knew that. So sue me.

Still applies.
dictionary.reference.com...

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join