It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Jay Nixon signs exec. order to send Missouri National Guard to Ferguson

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
From obs-onthemove,org

There are 52 police and only 5 are Black. That’s 6% Black representation.

Actually it's almost 10%. Someone should have stayed in junior high another year or two.

Their math is accurate. It would only be 10% if they rounded but rounding when it comes to percentages is generally frowned upon. It's acceptable to round 5.66% to 5.7% or 6% but it is never acceptable to round 5.66% to 10% in statistics as it creates a gross misrepresentation.

3 are black out of the 53 police officers in the Ferguson Police Department according to USA Today.
www.usatoday.com...

That's 3/53 = 0.0566 = 0.0566 * 100% = 5.66% rounded to 5.7% or 6%

I'm an accountant who aced college statistics and holds two degrees. Go ahead and check my math.
edit on 18/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: added specifics

edit on 18/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: probably should type out EVERY step to make sure what is done in calculating a simple statistic is very clear.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

IDC who told them to stand down, they are still being told to stand down.
Why is there no stand down orders on tear gassing protestors?
You all want to keep talking about how these criminals need to be stopped but the big dogs are telling the cops not to stop them. Whats the deal with that?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Protestors are being arrested live on CNN if they stop moving to protest. Peaceful protestors are outraged and say they are being treated like animals.

link   
a reply to: loam

I don't think so. This is relegated to these communities where they feel disenfranchised by the man. If they were really upset about black people being shot, places like Chicago and NY would be in flames right now. This weekend we have several shootings is both locations by the same group of people.

I don't fear this spreading beyond this city or these types of cities unless these thugs decide to move into the burbs and if that happens, you better believe that would end real quick.

Those places and people made up of Western Civilization don't loot and burn down their fellow citizens property. Make no mistake, These inner cities do not represent Western Civilization.

link   
a reply to: Taggart

Prove to me the protestors 'Started it'

Prove the police started it.

Prove that police firing tear gas justifies looting and rioting.

link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice
Problem was they used the wrong numbers and said 5 were black and 52 was the total number of officers. That's why their math looked wrong.

link   
a reply to: kruphix
Some people like to split hairs if it will help conform the situation to their opinion.

Things like: He didn`t technically rob the store he only stole some cigars
and: shoplifting isn`t really a crime
or: they weren`t really rioting and looting they just took some things from a store, nobody stopped them so it must have been ok to take them
blah,blah,blah

edit on 18-8-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

That is really what this has become about, isn't it? A disproportionate response. I hate it, but at this point it almost doesn't matter what actually happened, as it's rapidly becoming an us and them situation thanks to some incredibly heavy handed tactics. And now the military is involved, how's that for escalation? It's just insane.
edit on 18-8-2014 by Orwells Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
CNN also reporting that the NG will only be protecting the command center, the police remain in charge of the rest.

President to speak at 4 pm

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I don't think anyone thinks the looting is justified. I'm not completely sure what counts as rioting ABSENT looting, would that just be a rowdy protest?

Anyway my point is, how much looting/rioting, in your opinion, does it take to negate a protest? If one person broke one window in a protest comprising 1,000 people, should the protest end? What if even as many as 5% of protesters are breaking laws and committing acts of violence. Do the rest need to give it up? In this case, it would be all too easy to put an end to any protest.

I think a lot of people here are saying "Yes there's looting, yes there's violence, and that's not good, but the protest against police brutality should not be sidelined for that reason alone", and I agree with those people.

IF the looting stopped, that would be a good thing. A bit of rioting maybe is called for.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBlackTiger

If i could star you more for that one post, i would

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

There were articles about that 4 days ago .....

Funny how the big action started about that time.....

I thought this was a DHS/Obama operation from the start.

Progressives take every advantage possible.

Two Department of Justice “protest marshals” are in Ferguson, Mo., to help train people taking part in demonstrations over the fatal police shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

That’s according to Ferguson mayor James Knowles, who spoke with The Daily Caller Wednesday evening.

Two DOJ ‘Protest Marshals’ In Town

related (biased? or more accurate?) article...

As Obama and his administration of race baiting and pot stirring thugs continue to operate from behind the protection of the willingly ignorant mainstream media, it appears as though they’re settling in for the long haul. According to a recent report, Obama, in league with Holder and the DOJ, have sent over some “marshals,” to assist in Ferguson, by “coaching” protesters.

Obama Sends “Marshals” To “Coach” Protesters In Ferguson

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Livestream of Obama press conference will be carried on KMOV's site. Link:
at 3pm central time

ETA.
Grant Bissell @gbissellKSDK
Follow
#BREAKING MO Hwy Patrol to hold joint news conference with MO Nat'l Guard from #Ferguson command post within the next 30 mins

edit on 18-8-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

It doesn't work that way, if you want to say the protestors started it the last two nights, back up your claims.
Shouldn't be hard right? I mean there is footage from every angle.

link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost

That is really what this has become about, isn't it? A disproportionate response. I hate it, but at this point it almost doesn't matter what actually happened, as it's rapidly becoming an us and them situation thanks to some incredibly heavy handed tactics. And now the military is involved, how's that for escalation? It's just insane.

A disproportionate response? Did you see the photos of that community? They have burned and looted just about every business they could. Now they say the city cops used too much force. They bring in the State cops and they couldn't stop it because its politically incorrect to shoot looters.

Now they are going to force the National Guard and I hope they do start shooting these thug looters.

Tell us what you would do? Just let them loot and burn city after city?

link   

originally posted by: DancedWithWolves
CNN also reporting that the NG will only be protecting the command center, the police remain in charge of the rest.

President to speak at 4 pm ??

Can't wait for THAT propaganda script !!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlackTiger

I don't think anyone thinks the looting is justified. I'm not completely sure what counts as rioting ABSENT looting, would that just be a rowdy protest?

I don't know if there are official definitions for each. But to me, looting is them stealing from businesses in mass and rioting involves the destruction of the property.

Anyway my point is, how much looting/rioting, in your opinion, does it take to negate a protest? If one person broke one window in a protest comprising 1,000 people, should the protest end?

Yes, because if you don't stop it then...it gives the message that it is ok and it will continue to escalate.

If you are going to excuse one broken window...what else will you excuse? One bottle thrown? One Molotov thrown? One fire started? One shot fired? One assault? One store looted? One building set on fire?

How about two of any of the above? Three?

The correct answer is that you respond once ANYTHING happens that turns it from a peaceful organized protest into something else.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart

originally posted by: kruphix

It doesn't work that way, if you want to say the protestors started it the last two nights, back up your claims.
Shouldn't be hard right? I mean there is footage from every angle.

Same goes for you, so yes, it does work like that.

You, and others, have been saying the police started it....so prove it.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: DancedWithWolves

President to speak at 4 pm ??

Can't wait for THAT propaganda script !!

It's funny how Obama picks and chooses what crimes to "SPEAK" about.

edit on 8/18/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: truckdriver42

Oh please, don't be disingenuous. They trotted out the APC's and sniper rifles on day one, well before this devolved into what it's become. That was only a few days ago, or have you forgotten them sacking the county police in favour of the "kinder & gentler" Highway Patrol?

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join