It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Jay Nixon signs exec. order to send Missouri National Guard to Ferguson

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Following coordinated attacks on civilians and law enforcement, Governor Nixon signs executive order directing Missouri National Guard resources to Ferguson.
governor.mo.gov...

Exec. 14-09: governor.mo.gov...

abcnews.go.com...
www.nbcnews.com...

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JEREMIAH W. (JAY) NIXON, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, including section 41.480, RSMo, order and direct the Adjutant General of the State of Missouri, or his designee, to forthwith call and order into active service such portions of the organized militia as he deems necessary to aid the executive officials of Missouri, to protect life and property, and it is further ordered and directed that the Adjutant General or his designee, and through him, the commanding officer of any unit or other organization of such organized militia so called into active service take such action and employ such equipment as may be necessary in support of civilian authorities, and provide such assistance as may be authorized and directed by the Governor of this state.

The move also replaces Capt. Johnson of the Missouri State Highway Patrol with the Superintendent of the same patrol, Col. Ronald Replogle:

www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov...

The National Guard is being sent to Ferguson, MO. When was the last time this happened for a protest? Please don't say Kent State. Not sure how I feel about this at all.
edit on 18/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: bolded link titles

edit on 18/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: added press links

edit on 18/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: added Col. Replogle link

edit on Mon Aug 18 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed BB code

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice
Hurricane Katrina?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brainiac
a reply to: WhiteAlice
Hurricane Katrina?

Hurricane Katrina wasn't a protest unless it was actually Mother Nature addressing her grievances of us. lol

I'm really mixed on this as I know from a friend that there are a lot of outside elements in Ferguson now, some of which may want to provoke the situation. Still the last time I can think of where the National Guard was called in for a protest was Kent State.

The one other time has been the LA Riots in 1992 that ended once the California National Guard moved in but that was an outright riot and less protest. (Way more destruction than what's been seen in Ferguson).

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Wow... stunned.

It's about to get bad.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pharyax
Wow... stunned.

It's about to get bad.

Depends on the Missouri NG and that superintendent. I'm wondering if that guy is the guy that has been behind Johnson during a few press conferences, hovering behind his shoulder and whispering in his ear on occassion. Not sure about that. Could explain why Johnson looked so defeated and broken tonight. Maybe he knew what was coming.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I posted the following in another thread, but I guess this is the first one that will likely remain open...

If LA is a reasonable comparison, I think the end of the rioting is now near.

Larger daytime, but peaceful, protests will likely be organized by 'out of towners'.

We can also expect a jump in the number of arrests over the next few weeks, as civilian law enforcement returns their focus from crowd control to apprehension of criminal wrong-doers.

But the media circus and national debate about race relations (yes, once again) is only just getting started. Hold onto your seats.

I also expect *crickets* on any of the constitutional issues raised by the events of the last few nights. No one apparently really cares.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice
The National Guard is being sent to Ferguson, MO. When was the last time this happened for a protest? Please don't say Kent State. Not sure how I feel about this at all.

originally posted by: loam
I also expect *crickets* on any of the constitutional issues raised by the events of the last few nights. No one apparently really cares.

It's really hard to defend these people, given their actions....

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

I think it depends on where you're looking to figure if anyone cares. Actually had a pretty good conversation about Ferguson going on Facebook of all things today with several making some pretty astute comments and many concerns for what's been taking place along with the police militarization issues and more. Talked with some nieghbors about it as well.

As far as the right to protest issues, though, yes, probably crickets. We've not had a good track record in the US for treating protesters very well. Most of the time there's very little coverage and a whole lot of spin.

I question how much rioting has actually occurred in Ferguson. A few broken windows, one place burned? Compare that to the LA Riots where multiple fires were going for quite a while. Maybe it's a difference in definition of what is a riot but I think a whole lot more destruction than what's been seen. Then again, maybe that's because I remember seeing the LA Riots years ago. msnbcmedia2.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lipton

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

Which people? Those who have been peaceful protesting or the smaller portion that has been causing trouble. The former is far larger than the latter. If the former wasn't, we'd be seeing arrests of hundreds not handfuls.

+35 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

This is why I say no one largely cares.

Apparently, we are content with any infringement upon the public's constitutional rights, if it can be shown a few don't deserve them. Or put another way, our rights as citizens are contingent upon the behavior of others.

Under this standard, no constitutional protection is safe from removal.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Apparently, we are content with any infringement upon the public's constitutional rights, if it can be shown a few don't deserve them. Or put another way, our rights as citizens are contingent upon the behavior of others.

So very well put, Loam. Beautifully and simply well put indeed.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

I posted the following in another thread, but I guess this is the first one that will likely remain open...

If LA is a reasonable comparison, I think the end of the rioting is now near.

Larger daytime, but peaceful, protests will likely be organized by 'out of towners'.

We can also expect a jump in the number of arrests over the next few weeks, as civilian law enforcement returns their focus from crowd control to apprehension of criminal wrong-doers.

But the media circus and national debate about race relations (yes, once again) is only just getting started. Hold onto your seats.

I pray that peace can be restored and the guilty in this mess be brought to justice.
I think you will find the crickets on the constitutional issues because once the State of Emergency was declared, those rights were suspended until order can be restored. The only constitutional issue I could see would be to sue the governor for the declaration....but that's a stretch....
Don't get me wrong, it distresses me no end to see the press herded into pens and told to wait for further announcements. I was more shocked by seeing a cop point a gun at a person he knew to be media. That is truly frightening. While there are bad guys out there looting and pillaging, this cop is frightening the media into compliance.....somehow that makes no sense to me.
I have a great deal of admiration for those young folks out there letting us see what is actually happening. They are kicking MSM butt!
I've been in a few protests but have never been in one that was threatened by anything but a fire hose. And that was a gross over-reaction on the local PD's part. I simply can't imagine how I would feel if I saw that army rolling down the street at me.

It will be interesting to see if those arrested for looting have similar arrests in their history. I'm sure some sharp researcher can sniff those tidbits out. Along with a few more details about the people who were shot and the shooters as well. Were the individuals fighting over looted merch? More details on what sparked such a remarkable display would help me understand. If they have seen a pattern of organized vandalism, they must have specific targets in mind. If they use their extraordinary powers to seek out those who are instigating the mayhem, then peace will return I believe.

Sorry to ramble, just post-adrenalin musings, I suppose.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
As stated in the duplicate:

I'm not one to condone violence or encourage a violent uprising but....

Here we have a situation where instead of listening to a single word the people have said, they chose to double down and bring in more reinforcements. Perhaps its high time all the militias stepped up and provide a counterweight to this provocation.

Of course, something tells me that's exactly what they want.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Wow. National Guard!? How will they do it different or better? It's too much but I 'm at a loss as to what else can be done?

School canceled again today.
edit on 8/18/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I think it means media access will be even more restricted and the protesting will end during the evening hours. Even the looters and rioters will likely stay away....and the ones who don't will be dealt with very swiftly. Something about the old saying, "if a tree falls in a forest with no one around..." comes to mind.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

And, sadly, that seems perfectly reasonable...

It's always been said - when Martial Law actually did come to the U.S., we would welcome it.
It's like someone, somewhere is just checking off a list as we spiral into chaos.

As a country, we need to elevate our efforts toward peace not escalate the violence.

+39 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Funny...send the National Guard on our citizens...but don't send them to protect our borders.

# this country...# u Obama and Congress.
edit on Mon Aug 18 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Where have you been?

The 2nd amendment (which shall not be infringed) has been slowly eroded due to a few people in this country of 300 million......

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: HandyDandy

Case and point.

I've been railing about these things for years.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Chris King editorial director of St Louis American told CNN that Nixon's executive order for the Guard was written with "broad power and vague objectives."

He mentioned the outside groups, Chicago specifically. Said a woman complained to Nixon at a presser on Thursday about the outside elements but was dismissed.

King, who is white BTW, said that last night's protest was completely peaceful until police escalated it.
edit on 8/18/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join