It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Banning Menthol Cigarettes - Good Health Move or Government Overreach?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
Perhaps nicotine likes same cell receptors that certain diseases like and blocks them.

Preparing the ground anyone?

Oh yes, I heard that smokers were less affected by covid.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
I'm gonna point to the elephant in the room and say the problem is NOT menthol cigarettes, the problem is candy flavored disposable vape pens. The kids are using that stuff, a LOT of kids. And the government doesn't give a #. Let's talk about that.
Still parents responsibility ,not nanny government!

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Who told you cigarettes cause cancer, have you done due dilligence or are you just repeating an accepted meme, It is just hearesay promoted and funded by the same people who profit from other people's ignorance using their bought and paid for science.Look at a beach in the nineteen seventies, and count the amount of obese people not requiring insulin , and now look at the same beach.Follow the money as always. Then think, as the number of people stopping smoking goes down the number of lung cancer victims goes up. These are the facts. Natural tobacco in moderate amounts ever since it was generally introduced is medicine.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i h8te tobacco.
always have.

i dont get how this works, because people can still buy smokes. i figured all smokes were the same.

i tell everyone who stupidly started smokking.

1. smoke marrajuana instead.

or-
2. take nic0tine candy. you still get the druggs your body is adddicted to.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 10:33 PM
link   
There is pretty strong evidence that menthol cigarettes are worse than regular cigarettes. I did read the research when they tried to ban them before...

The combination of the menthol and nicotine in the smoke causes more lung damage from what I have read. Menthol counteracts nicotine but the result is a smoke containing more ammonia in it. Which can increase lung damage.

The cancer risk is not because of the nicotine, it has to do with a certain type of carbon molecule. The menthol also takes out the bite of the cigarette, so it might allow people to smoke more without the usual burn.

I smoke, but just about a pack a day and I only smoke about half of the cigarette and toss out the rest because of the harshness. If I don't drink methyl or ethyl containing compounds, I do not need the nicotine to counteract the chemistry. I am not giving up coffee, I rarely have a beer or mixed drink these days so usually only smoke when I drink coffee or have anything with caffeine in it.. If I have a cigarette, then I need coffee....it works both ways.

I would guess there are lots of others who have the same cravings to neutralize the chemistries. But since I drink the coffee with the cigarettes, the ammonia forms in the blood, with menthol cigarettes it is concentrated in the lung tissue.
edit on 4-4-2024 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 10:56 PM
link   
They need to ban cloves.
Those things are lung shredders.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 11:34 PM
link   
While it's true Smoking makes one smell very strongly of smoke the only time I became concerned about it was when I was in a bookstore cafe working inside (I smoked outside) and a beaufiul Elder Lady of Delicate Constitution came in and began coughing when she got in my radius.

I felt horrible.

Vaping was just too expensive and generated too much waste back then building coils and wicks and was more expensive and not as satisfying. My beloved e-grip srung a leak and it was impossible to clean up and the liquid grew mold in the battery casing.

So we went back to analog.

My husband hand rolls, where I am unable to.

I cut down when my stock runs low and smoke less.

We were not affected by Covid.

Cloves are a luxury and should be smoked sparingly, if you ask me.

I'd be willing to give vaping another shot but I'd need to price the disposabies.

Any idea how long they last for someone who chainsmokes under duress?
edit on 4/4/24 by GENERAL EYES because: unknown glitch, amended grammar

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I have some wild field mint (Mentha arvensis) that grows in the garden and I believe that is second only to peppermint in menthol content. Peppermint is a hybrid of spearmint and watermint and watermint grows around here too. Lots of mints in the Mentha family to choose from, you just need to extract the menthol and add it as a top flavor to the tobacco you purchase or grow yourself.

I have just started my tobacco, even though I quit smoking it. I have a still for extraction too, but I am pretty sure you could buy the extract and tobacco to make your own. Sounds like a niche opening up for a new cottage industry, just have to work around all those pesky regulations and tax codes and whatnot.

I wonder when they will go after chewing tobacco. We have wintergreen growing wild too, and chew wouldn't be hard to process.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesman023
Regular Smoke will be next.
Then who knows what after that.
Beer Liquor etc.

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: LSU2018
... mainly it was black people who smoked menthols.

Well .. it looks like it's hispanic and black people who smoke them because those are the groups that are against this ban. What I don't get is why ban menthols and not all cigarettes. They both cause cancer so why single out menthols and not go for the regular cigarettes too. This ban makes no sense to me.

They already tried with liquor in the 1920's - it was called Prohibition.

It stopped exactly no one from drinking but what it did do was spawn an entire class of criminal/gangster which caused far more problems than a few drunks.

If not for Prohibition, we would not have organized crime in the United States.

It literally gave birth to the Mafia here.

I would hope government learned their lesson with that, but institutional memory is short and full of holes. And if someone can see a political upside to banning liquor, you can bet they'll be all over it.

edit on 4/6/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vermilion

They need to ban cloves.
Those things are lung shredders.

Hell yes they are! I had forgotten about those things. I smoked them in the late nineties for about a month.
I went from running 2 miles a day to barely 3/4 of a mile a day in less than a month.
edit on 6-4-2024 by Myhandle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 10:20 AM
link   
over-reach by far....

in 1972 i woke from a 2 week coma caused by a car crash...minutes after waking, i craved a 'smoke' asked my wife for a menthol cigarette which i had detested before the accident/coma ordeal

and i continued 'menthols' until year 1997 when i quit smoking all together after a sudden brain hemorrhage struck me flat

i guess NDEs is a sure way to target the smoking habit

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I'd be willing to give vaping another shot but I'd need to price the disposabies.

Any idea how long they last for someone who chainsmokes under duress?

The disposables I use are $8usd and they don't last very long if you hit them a lot. It's hard not to when the "mango" flavor is so nice. I used to smoke cigs, pipes, cigars and chew, especially when working. Vape is much cleaner and definitely tastier.

posted on Apr, 28 2024 @ 02:30 AM
link   
BUT WAIT .....

81% of black smokers, smoke menthols.
So now the BIden administration has decided not to ban menthols.
Guess they don't want to lose the black vote with this being an election year.

Biden Won't Ban Menthol Cigarettes Due to Potential Backlash From Black Voters

NY Times - Biden Delays Ban on Menthol Cigarettes
edit on 4/28/2024 by FlyersFan because: spelling

posted on Apr, 29 2024 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I miss the days when you could go into a real tobacconist shop, and browse all the boutique brands which they had on sale. It was mostly organic tobacco stored in earthenware jars with the makers name on them. Some great pipe tobacco.From all over the world the different soils made for different strengths and flavours. The place smelt like heaven. Then like just about everything else big corporations started to take over ,and turned most of the product to crap. This was back in the day when nobody was supposed to have a brass razoo, and one guys wage could support a family pay a mortguage and not have to pay over 80 dollars for thirty grams of rolling tobacco.

posted on Apr, 29 2024 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: annonentity

Grow your own? It's easy!

posted on Apr, 29 2024 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I do in fact growing was not the problem , I have been working on the processing,and the cutting on and off for a few years., in fact I have just come in from the workshop where I am making an old fashioned cutting machine ,I made a smaller version that worked well, but it had to be loaded a bit too often. I have a Burley which grows full size in a liter of soil under a shade cloth. So the whole process except for the processing and cutting can be done , in or by the small greenhouse,when the leaves are ready I hang them in hands in the greenhouse apex.At the moment the difference between the bought and home grown is that the home grown is totally organic and far superior, it lasts a couple of years in a tight jar. I have given a few jars away for a bit of feedback just to make sure that i am not fooling myself, the only real feedback is that it is stronger than the bought stuff. But you have to know what you are doing the processing has definiatly got a few tricks, and cutting it into shag as fine as the rolling blends gave me the biggest headache.

posted on Apr, 29 2024 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Government overreach. Just give the people what they want. I hope all the menthol cigarette smokers who voted for Biden are happy now, you all did it to urself 🤪

posted on Apr, 29 2024 @ 11:13 PM
link   

BUT WAIT .....

This is so weird to hear this Stat because every black friend or coworker I know doesn't smoke menthol

posted on Apr, 30 2024 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMisguidedAngel

BUT WAIT .....

This is so weird to hear this Stat because every black friend or coworker I know doesn't smoke menthol

I have the direct opposite experience.

Almost all smoke Newport. Many smoke off brand menthols since they're much cheaper.

For instance here in NY a pack of Newport or any other major brand is $13-$14.

The off brand menthols like Seneca are $5 a pack.

Huge difference.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join