It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Video Games Are Good

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This thread is about video games and to put across the perspective that video games are good for mankind.

Video games are is a topic that many people have been negative towards in the past saying things like they dumb people down or send them into maniac mass murderers but in reality this is not the case.

How many gamers do you know?

Are they crazy axe wielding maniacs? or crazy in any other way?

I do admit that video games can turn some people into sloths but would they not be sloths without the games, I am sure people like that will find any way they can to be lazy. In reality video games have many uses and are educational improving your body in many ways and tests are proof of this:

Rochester University tests
more on the benifits of video games

Scientists around the world are also working on ways of using video games to improve the lives of disabled people I would say that's an excellent use of video games

games for victims of stroke

With research proving that video games can improve accuracy, coordination, problem solving and tactical thinking plus many other advantages of games I think my point that video games are good is a strong one.

Ofcourse on another not many believe in subliminal messeges in games. Halo with it's many religious tones is a good example. The forerunners who create rings that can kill all life to stop the great flood, they also build an "arc" on each ring that is basically a storage of all life that will be released after the floods gone.

Another example would be Assassin's creed:
The present of the Assassin's Creed games occur in 2012, prior to the supposed 2012 doomsday phenomenon. Desmond Miles, a bartender, comes to learn that he is the latest in a long line of Assassins, whose task is to prevent the Knights Templar from acquiring "Pieces of Eden", powerful artifacts that can sway and control mass populations. At first by force by Abstergo Industries, the modern-day face of the Templars, and later by allies associated with the Assassins, Desmond uses a device called an Animus to relive ancestral memories for himself and those monitoring him. While Abstergo uses Desmond's memories to attempt to locate more Pieces of Eden, the Assassins are more concerned with an foretold catastrophic event and have Desmond attempt to seek the knowledge and the artifacts out to stop this. By witnessing these memories, Desmond gains skills as an Assassin through a "bleeding effect" that help him to deal with Abstergo's forces.

Through the series, Desmond witnesses history primarily through three ancestors: the Levantine Mentor, Altaïr ibn-La'Ahad, a disgraced Syrian Assassin working to redeem himself during the Third Crusade; the Italian Mentor, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, an initially vengeful Italian nobleman during the late 15th and early 16th centuries of the Renaissance; and Ratonhnhaké:ton (also called Connor), a English/Kanien'kehá:ka Assassin, who seeks to protect his peoples' way of life during the American Revolution. These three encounter strange alien technology of the same nature as the Pieces of Eden. Holographic images of Precursors, aliens that had lived alongside early humans with their advanced technology, appear to these ancestors but speak directly to Desmond. The Precursors warn Desmond that though they were able to foresee a massive solar flare with their technology that would have wiped out all life on earth, they were unable to use their technology to stop it, instead opting to save as many of themselves and humankind when it occurred. The Precursors then set about preparing mankind in their far future - in 2012 - to prepare for a second solar flare that threatens to do the same, using the line of Assassins to protect their technology, the Pieces of Eden, from the Templars and anticipating the arrival of Desmond to complete what they could not do before. Desmond and his allies proceed to locate the hidden Precursor technology while staying ahead of Abstergo's force before the solar flare can hit.

assassins creed wiki

If anything these are agendas at work all in all video games are good and have the potential to do a lot of good I believe
edit on 19-12-2012 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

Video games are technology, and technology isn't inherently good or evil. It's the users intent and to some extent the developers intent, that puts good or evil into it.

Just like a gun. It can hurt or it can protect

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I still say they are terrible for productivity.
Kids don't play sports anymore hardly.
Majority of them can't wait to get out of school to play the new Modern Warfare or whatever.

Seems to desensitize them as well...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
You can get those alleged benefits from Mario and Yoshi.

You dont need those scary assault games like Call of Duty or Assassins Creed.
edit on 19-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

I added a bit more on that I pressed enter by mistake silly me

I play games like call of duty and you do get some sick people on them sometimes, I personally think that it is the person themself and the game is not much of an insperation for his or her evilness.

So in other words it's not the game that needs change but the person playing it
edit on 19-12-2012 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Yes this is a big problem and part of the bigger picture to why the in the west or youth are getting fatter and weaker it's all about moderation.

here in the UK health and safety effects this too wether it's parents or schools

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yes you can a lot of games will trainthe brain in similair ways it will depend totally on the type of game. Those scary games may be scary but the levels of aggression that rise due to games like that have been studied and it shows that they disappear fairly quickly which I understand, If you play rugby or american football you will hype yourself into moods you would not normally be in or act like in normal day scenarios

the brain benefits of games study shows that they stay in the brain for a while.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
FPS Games increase your reaction time
RPG games increase you ability to make quick decisions.
Strategy games such as Starcraft are just that, building better reaction time and strategic skill and choice.

But as mentioned above somewhere, its about the intent of the user really.

The only thing i dislike about FPS games is that the younger generations lose touch with what war really is.. You can't respawn in real life

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I believe video games have done allot for my cordination. My driving skills are really good because of GTA. I probably would not do to bad in a combat enviroment either BUT....
They have made me slugish. My mind has had a information overload, reagular life seems boaring. I have to multitask in order to keep focused and enjoy what im doing.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Good thread S&F for you pal.
I've done some intensive PC gaming in my time and enjoyed every minute of it. I like flight sims and military sims but have played a lot of other types. I agree with some of the other posters it can improve your hand eye co-ordination and reaction time and you can learn new things, like how to fly a helicopter.
It's also a more active and interactive form of entertainment than watching TV or a movie, it makes you think.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
Majority of them can't wait to get out of school to play the new Modern Warfare or whatever.

I agree with this. I play video games, and this is what it does to me. But I play anyway.
Actually though, desensitization can be avoided if one is unaffected by losing. I think it's the losing part that causes desensitization. You have to play not to compete, but to be entertained no matter what the outcome. Then you are unaffected.
edit on 19-12-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Nearly all of the benefits of video games can be found in other areas, such as sports, chess playing, puzzles, etc.

There are some benefits of games, especially for the disabled, but lets not be so obtuse as to think that the majority of the benefits are exclusive to video gaming.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
All I know is my kid won't have a gaming system until he's old enough to work and pay for it. Then he can make the decision on his own.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I only liked adventure games that had some solution to be solved.
When I got stuck I did what someone told me on one of my first days on the job.
When the need arises get help.
So I went on the internet and found the solutions.

So basically I research the solutions already found by someone.
Salute Your Solutions even though I had to find them.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here.

ATSLive on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
Video games are technology, and technology isn't inherently good or evil.

As if this isn't the most stupid thing ever.

Video games are good.. mainly.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by resoe26

I agree with this. I play video games, and this is what it does to me. But I play anyway.
Actually though, desensitization can be avoided if one is unaffected by losing. I think it's the losing part that causes desensitization. You have to play not to compete, but to be entertained no matter what the outcome. Then you are unaffected.
edit on 19-12-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

True, but explain that to a 12 year old or younger...
Ain't happening homeboy.
You already know, you and I at that age, HARD HEADED. am I wrong?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Alot of great posts about the subject.
But, as with all things, moderation is key.

Video games, in general, are an enormous distraction from reality.
When a gamer "logs on", they are immersed in an entirely different realm.
Usually associated with some sort of logic and reasoning that isn't possible in real life.
As with every game, the user then uses their abilities to win at said game.
Also, most gamers know that the games are just entertainment.
Be it a sports game, racing, FPS, or RPG.

It's all for fun and the escape from the difficulties of life.

Are video games good?
Sure. But not when replaced with someones real life.
Anything can be used to have fun and forget about the real world.
But I also see the negative aspect, especially with young gamers.
We all have responsiblities on this Earth, staying inside on a TV doesn't help.
The more we ignore our responsibilities with video games, the worse we end up.

Instead of learning how to be a level 81 mage or prestige 10...
We should be learning how to fend for ourselves and live off the land.
We should know how to build homes and work gardens for sustainability.
Those things aren't important these days I suppose.
Maybe they will be years down the road.

But...for now, entertainment is king.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
i agree video games are good, and a lot of new tech is being built on the backbone of the video game industry, goal line technology, 3d TVs, image capture software, to name but a few. i hate when people blame video games for someones unstable behavior.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Desensitizing is not about "not minding if you lose"...Its about killing as many things, people, figures in a multitude of ways.

They all die when hit, they explode or fizzle out etc....it desensitizes users to think its that way in reality and the real world. They dont feel pain in the video world and it has no real effect on anyone...just your score.

I reality and real life....you'd be killing real people with real bleeding and causing real havoc....not so in the gaming world. These killers who constantly play games....when mental issues are present...can mistake the gaming world for the real one...or vice versa....

To kill many at once in real life....is just like a successful day at the PSP. "Wow! My score is up to 500 killed! Blood, guts and gore....COOL!"

This is why games CAN be a desensitizing factor in unstable mentalities.

<<   2  3 >>

join