It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyrography and Scrimshaw

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2024 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hello!

Today I busted out one full pyrography photo and a couple of scrimshaw baleen.

The scrimshaw is usually very easy as it's supposed to be ancient and rustic and simple....but wood burning pics are complex. They require hours of work layering and shadowing, adding small details...it can take days/months to do one properly.

Why is it that I can go ahead and bust out one image within 8 hours (photo #1, done today) and then other times I have to wait months until I can finally finish it (photo #2, been over a year since I looked at it)

Photo #1:

Photo #2:

The scrimshaw I am just learning how to do. Today I was figuring out the easiest way to scratch the baleen and this is my first time making one.

I find creating art rewarding. But sometimes I wonder why we get so caught up on one piece that it takes us months to finish it....why do we do that?

Thanks,
blend

posted on May, 22 2024 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: blend

Amazing work! HBD 🍰
edit on 22-5-2024 by JJproductions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2024 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Loving the scrimshaw! Here's an ivory bracelet an Eskimo friend made for my grandmother in Seward, Alaska in 1945. I've always admire the rich native handiwork of the Great White North.

posted on May, 22 2024 @ 06:27 PM
link   
That is an amazing piece of art! Hopefully I'll be able to create something just as beautiful in the future...it's inspiring...thank you for sharing it!

blend

posted on May, 22 2024 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: blend
That is an amazing piece of art! Hopefully I'll be able to create something just as beautiful in the future...it's inspiring...thank you for sharing it!

blend

Seeing what you've accomplished so far I have no doubt you will!

posted on May, 22 2024 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Beautiful!

posted on May, 22 2024 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

I'm in aw of the craftsmanship every time I look at it. Created with just primative tools and it runs circles around any modern creations I've seen.

I've only worn it once; it made me too nervous the whole time I had it on my wrist to ever wear it again.
I'm even afraid to let anyone touch it to get it appraised.

posted on May, 23 2024 @ 02:06 AM
link   
That’s great scrimshaw.

Thanks for sharing this outstanding work.

posted on May, 23 2024 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Great pics! The second one I find to be very deep, I can see more time has gone into this and more thought too, it conveys a message/meaning to me at least.
I’ve done a bit of wood burning art myself, I found getting the temp and nib right very difficult but it was rewarding being able to shade once I had the settings and strokes down. I love the permanent feel to it compared to other mediums, love wood in general, the natural grain etc…

I find creating art rewarding. But sometimes I wonder why we get so caught up on one piece that it takes us months to finish it....why do we do that?

For me it’s about stepping back, I create music more than art these days, and find I need put it down and come back with fresh ears regularly. Hence I have lots of unfinished projects on the go.
I think with art in any medium, it is so easy to carried away and overwork it, to add something in because it fits ok and fills the medium…when actually it is better to leave space, give the work room to breathe. Inspiration can come all at once or it might just be a vague idea, best to get out of your own way and let art be as it may..otherwise you push to get something “finished” and are invariably disappointed with the results.

That’s just my opinion and what I’ve found to be true for me anyway.

posted on May, 23 2024 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AllisVibration

I am sure your art is also full of beauty from your creative brain!

posted on May, 23 2024 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Thanks, my art leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion, but I have some decent ideas here and there.
I’ve learnt and still learning to be less judgmental which helps.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   

The material sometimes needs time to decide "what it wants to be". There's never a need to rush a creation.
There's been times I was able to zip thru a project an others where waiting was best cause I'd learnt techniques during that time which made completion much more intricate or unusual.

I always laugh cause if I put a piece down "Hey!! there isn't a line of other people who want to do it!!".
It'll be fine.

Equally there isn't hordes of people rushing to do scrimshaw so you're already quite special.
Beautiful work!!!

new topics

top topics

join