It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane #Sandy - Live coverage by ATS members

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PennKen2009

I've got the volume up here, and a moment ago it looked and sounded like the camera was about to get ripped off whatever it's attached to!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheels
Does anyone have any news about that dangling crane? That is a potentially devastating situation.

I also worry for people's safety in the coming days if power is out. I hope we don't see looting or violence.

The area under the crane has been blocked off for 4 blocks around it.

I hope the lines under the street (GAS, chem ect) are shut off, because this cranes head is heavy,it will drive down many yards if it lets go and comes down.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Man hearing all this bad news and scary news has my stress level way up!!!!!!! Not good for my anxiety.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Mayor Bloomberg shocked reporters when he said that the National Guard would round-up any looters and take them to internment camps in upstate New York.* “We have installed a zero tolerance policy for looters.* If you* loot, you will be put in an internment camp for six months – at the minimum.”

This is what my friend just sent me. Can anyone back this up? I am asking for a source from him now.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I did not lost power yet but the storm just reach us about 3 hours ago....we got heavy rain and heavy wind (well not so heavy, around 60 mph)...Anyway, lights are flashing so I may soon lose power...they say the worst for my area is to come during the night and tomorrow morning....we are supposed to be fill with heavy rain or snow till friday...Hopefully I live far from water so no flood expected in my area...I'm plugged on CNN to watch this live since 9 in the morning and I have to say I feel very sorry for those people on the east coast...I am lucky not to live near water...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Man hearing all this bad news and scary news has my stress level way up!!!!!!! Not good for my anxiety.

Close your eyes.

Take 10 deep breaths, in through your nose, out through your mouth.

Bad news is in the cards now.

NYC and NJ are still cold in the winter. Do you have any extra old coats?kids coats maybe?

Think about something nice.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
One more update before I go to bed and TRY to sleep from an hour west of Harrisburg. The storm hasn't quite reached us yet (at least I don't think) but will shortly and things will get worse, yada yada, I'm tired. I've taken my sleeping medication and am off to bed. Even if I just lie around listening to the wind all night, at least I'll be cozy.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Friends in New York are telling me if there was ever a time martial law was invited to New York City, it's right now....... Multiple people are telling me this...

Scary as hell

#NYC

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by YoureAllNuts

yeah heard that on CNN around 4 pm...but it was in atlantic city...not New York...and the live stream form time square shows some people still outhere so it may not be the case for new york...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by morethanyou

Originally posted by Phoenix

Having done facility maintenance and disaster preparedness I'm finding the hospital generator failures and fuel situation egregiously incompetent bordering on criminal by un-necessary endangerment of life and tying up resources that could be used elsewhere.

There are very srtingent national testing requirements with NYC being even stricter for critical facility emergency generator power systems due to the fire and life safety systems depending on power to operate - not to mention patient needs.

These requirements demand frequent testing of the generator as well as the associated switching that takes facility from grid power to self generated power to ensure that no failures occur, if fail occurs most govenrmental authorities will write a citation with a stated time limit to correct problem and may even require rental equipment be placed temporarily. As a facility engineer I had to immediately notify local fire officials of any problem with generator/transfer switching that compromised operation.

Somebody messed up very badly or was pencil whipping the tests required and endangered everybody.

Same situation for fuel on hand, 4 hours is a minimum for an office building not a hospital, most I have knowledge of have at least 24 hours of fuel and a plan to get more during that period if needed.

It angers me to hear people cannot do their jobs and put others in danger because they are 1. Lazy or 2. told to save money by management. In either case fire officials in charge of code inspections should have intervened.

edit on 29-10-2012 by Phoenix because: (no reason given)

I would suspect that water has breached the roof. Or the fuel has been contaminated.

It takes very little water to mess up diesel fuel, and plug filters.

I suspect that's what happened in a lot of cases.

Nope! its pure dee incompetence, the engines and gear will actually run in streaming water - I know by personal experience as I've had that situation before.

I commend the line firefighters and everyone doing their best to help but by incompentence they have been put in this situation. Its either bean counters, crap maintenance procedures or paid off code officials or maybe all three.

Well being a diesel head myself, there are a few things to contemplate.

Diesel generators need the following:

Clean unmolested fuel.
Free flowing fuel filters with water separation capabilities.
Clean filtered air.
Unobstructed exhaust

So in this situation, I can see them failing.

Well being a 25 year facility professional I disagree with excuses in this situation. The job requires that ALL eventualities be taken into account. Your list is technically correct but easy and I mean EASY steps are taken to prevent failures of this nature in building life safety systems. Btw this is not a chevy 2500 we're talking about nor a cat engine in a mobile truck. These are stationay installations with disasters in mind when they are designed and placed.

If you are diesal head then you'd appreciate my last office building had its engine and fuel tankage uncovered and exposed to heavy thunderstorm rains and wind and still fired up everytime within its required 10 second code specified timeframe.

I call crap on these NYC hospital failures.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Oyster Creek

bigstory.ap.org...

edit on 29-10-2012 by cuopar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Having done facility maintenance and disaster preparedness I'm finding the hospital generator failures and fuel situation egregiously incompetent bordering on criminal by un-necessary endangerment of life and tying up resources that could be used elsewhere.

There are very srtingent national testing requirements with NYC being even stricter for critical facility emergency generator power systems due to the fire and life safety systems depending on power to operate - not to mention patient needs.

These requirements demand frequent testing of the generator as well as the associated switching that takes facility from grid power to self generated power to ensure that no failures occur, if fail occurs most govenrmental authorities will write a citation with a stated time limit to correct problem and may even require rental equipment be placed temporarily. As a facility engineer I had to immediately notify local fire officials of any problem with generator/transfer switching that compromised operation.

Somebody messed up very badly or was pencil whipping the tests required and endangered everybody.

Same situation for fuel on hand, 4 hours is a minimum for an office building not a hospital, most I have knowledge of have at least 24 hours of fuel and a plan to get more during that period if needed.

It angers me to hear people cannot do their jobs and put others in danger because they are 1. Lazy or 2. told to save money by management. In either case fire officials in charge of code inspections should have intervened.

I would suspect that water has breached the roof. Or the fuel has been contaminated.

Nope! its pure dee incompetence, the engines and gear will actually run in streaming water - I know by personal experience as I've had that situation before.

I commend the line firefighters and everyone doing their best to help but by incompentence they have been put in this situation. Its either bean counters, crap maintenance procedures or paid off code officials or maybe all three.

Clean unmolested fuel.
Clean filtered air.
Unobstructed exhaust

Well being a 25 year facility professional I disagree with excuses in this situation. The job requires that ALL eventualities be taken into account. Your list is technically correct but easy and I mean EASY steps are taken to prevent failures of this nature in building life safety systems. Btw this is not a chevy 2500 we're talking about nor a cat engine in a mobile truck. These are stationay installations with disasters in mind when they are designed and placed.

If you are diesal head then you'd appreciate my last office building had its engine and fuel tankage uncovered and exposed to heavy thunderstorm rains and wind and still fired up everytime within its required 10 second code specified timeframe.

I understand what your saying. I agree with you. I just feel so bad, that I'm having a hard time getting angry.

The highest wave in NY harbor was 6 feet, today it was 18.5 (or so Erin Brunette said)

I agree the gen sets should have ran, god only knows how old the fuel was though eh?

I am sure all this will all come out, especially as someones loved one loses a life being moved from ICU

edit on 29-10-2012 by morethanyou because: do u think im stoopid?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
From scanner:

New York: Multiple fires going now, units from all around city responding.

Breezy Point and Rockaway are main areas, no water pressure and little access.

Brooklyn: 2nd alarm 141 6th st. ; multiple downed power lines arcing, sparking wires, falling debris, downed trees.

Manhattan : Blackouts in lower manhattan.

...wil post more as info comes across scanner...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Close your eyes.

Take 10 deep breaths, in through your nose, out through your mouth.

Bad news is in the cards now.

NYC and NJ are still cold in the winter. Do you have any extra old coats?kids coats maybe?

Think about something nice.

You are very sweet and thoughtful. Thank you! I don't have any children, so no kids coats, but could donate other items.

This is just so scary and sad. I think the poster who took a sleeping pill had the right idea. I'm thinking about it.

Ex

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I am wondering what is going to happen tomorrow, when hungry people
start coming out of their apartments into the streets.
Roaming gangs, and not only young people this time.
I am praying for a peaceful end to this event.

I also wanted to know if insurance companies will call this an
act of God and not cover much?
Any insurance people about?
edit on 10/29/2012 by Ex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheels
Does anyone have any news about that dangling crane? That is a potentially devastating situation.

I also worry for people's safety in the coming days if power is out. I hope we don't see looting or violence.

The area under the crane has been blocked off for 4 blocks around it.

I hope the lines under the street (GAS, chem ect) are shut off, because this cranes head is heavy,it will drive down many yards if it lets go and comes down.

Yup, looking at it the weak point is lower where the crane tower attaches to the building structure. All the bending stress is on the tower portion where it really designed to take vertical stress not horizonal bending stress.

I hope it makes it through the night but if it does not it'd be no surprise if the entire crane came down form last sopport tied to building on up.

First saw this on news and of course heard the wonder of newscasters saying "why'd they leave crane up there"
My thought was why did they not tie "hook" to main building structure to stabilize it in predicted high winds, doing that boom never would have flipped backwards the way it did.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
From scanner:

Queens: 3rd alarm box 8300 Beach 207th St. Breezy Point.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by Night Star

Yes, it's definitely heartbreaking thinking about all those critical patients who are being carried down staircases as we speak... Imagine the families who are wondering if their loved ones (in the hospital) are okay or not? Just feels like a solid punch to my stomach every time I begin thinking about it..

I know. Me too.
I mean you have to be pretty bad off if you're in intensive care to begin with. I hope this storm doesn't drag on and I hope people can get the help they need soon.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Clean unmolested fuel.
Clean filtered air.
Unobstructed exhaust

I understand what your saying. I agree with you. I just feel so bad, that I'm having a hard time getting angry.

The highest wave in NY harbor was 6 feet, today it was 18.5 (or so Erin Brunette said)

I agree the gen sets should have ran, god only knows how old the fuel was though eh?

I am sure all this will all come out, especially as someones loved one loses a life being moved from ICU

edit on 29-10-2012 by morethanyou because: do u think im stoopid?

I also understand, my issue is this, firefighters could be assisting many many others but are now tied up helping at hospital evacuation for no real good reason.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Link to scanner please.

(I am still here, or back, just catching up last 10 pages)

Speechless.

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join