It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Atheists Air Brushing History?

page: 73
<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
This thread is not about any of the members posting in it. It's about Are Atheists Air Brushing History?.

Please see this note at the top of every page in this thread:

This thread is an ATS Big-Thread with 1439 replies, and subject to more strict moderation.
Please stay focused. Stay on-topic. Minimal or off-topic posts and T&C violations are subject deletion and/or a warning.

If it has to do with another member and not the topic, please do not press post reply.

This is getting way out of hand (or already there) and if things don't calm down and return to a discussion of the topic, please don't be upset if the staff has to take action. We've posted three times asking to stay on topic, and I think that's plenty.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by Duzey]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
As an artist, and a theist, I have found that EVERYBODY is trying to airbrush history. We know the world is limited in resources, we know that Darwinism and Materialism are two theorys, but we don't care. We'll go on over-breeding ourselves anyway despite the materialism that sickens us with its inequality or evolution that confuses us. We all want to be the last being on Earth so we can write the final chapter in the history of man and make our side look better than the rest.

Now excuse me while I don my sackcloth and ashes, sit in the dung gate, eat worms and die.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
All the hiding behind and blaming religion needs to stop.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maerjo.

Exactamundo.
Too bad we soooo love our excuses.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Hello there I must say I am very very impressed with this treatise. Back in the 1950s my friend Bob Hammond broadcasted on the Voice of America in Asia that the Communist Party of China used propaganda comic books to spread atheistic ideologies. Believe it or not that gave me a great idea. It's a sorry dog that won't wag his own tail; I actually learned a thing or two from those communist heathens. Now Darwins evolution is lie of satan himself and communism is his government. Atheism is satanism misspelled.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jack Thomas Chick
I actually learned a thing or two from those communist heathens.

it's sad that you have to label everyone that disagrees with you as a "heathen"
it's that sort of "us and them" division that causes a lot of problems in this world.

Now Darwins evolution is lie of satan himself and communism is his government.

except that evolution isn't a lie, it's a very well established scientific theory (though this isn't the place to discuss it) and communism is simply an overly idealistic economic idea that, when put into place, creates a hell of a lot more problems than it solves

and i'm wondering, mr. chick, if you've ever read the acts of the apostles. when i read them i definitely got the idea that communal living was a very godly thing...

Atheism is satanism misspelled.

this is a very ignorant thing to say. atheists don't like satanism, we don't like any religions. we don't believe in any god, and we don't have a special vendetta against any particular deity

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

it's sad that you have to label everyone that disagrees with you as a "heathen"

Son education is capital invested for the future! You need to go to a good Christian Bible school. You do not even know what the term heathen means. What a sorry secular system we have!

HeathenNoun

n) heathen, pagan, gentile, infidel (a person who does not acknowledge your god)

Adjective

* (adj) heathen, heathenish, pagan, ethnic (not acknowledging the God of Christianity and Judaism and Islam)

Spare the rod spoil the child.

except that evolution isn't a lie, it's a very well established scientific theory (though this isn't the place to discuss it) and communism is simply an overly idealistic economic idea that, when put into place, creates a hell of a lot more problems than it solves

For the umpteenth time, you say there is proof to your theory, there is not. I was talking to a evolutionist about proof, and all he said was there was too much to mention. He constantly avoided my unanswerable questions about the facts of origins. Most evolutionists are very immature and insulting, calling creationists idiots every other sentence. They act like bickering morons that don't know what theyare talking about.

Marx invented communism son and he was a God hating evolutionist.

this is a very ignorant thing to say. atheists don't like satanism, we don't like any religions. we don't believe in any god, and we don't have a special vendetta against any particular deity

Atheists are satanists by default. You are on one side or the other. Your ignorance is no excuse. There will be a day of reckoning and every knee will bow. There really are not true atheists. Atheists actually know that God exists but theytry to live in complete denial. It is evidenced by their preoccupation with God. They spend all their time trying desperately to disprove him. I have seen your handiwork on this website, you are a prime example. You take pride in quoting the Bible to discredit it. If you really were really an atheist you would not bother. You show your insecurity in your alleged non belief. You are obsessed with it, it is the demons in you. Beg GOD for forgiveness please. The wages of sin is death; repent before pay day!

[edit on 14-4-2008 by Jack Thomas Chick]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well, Jack, isn't pretty much everyone a Satanist, by these standards?

I mean, everyone outside your particular denomination, whatever it may be?

By the way, I love your "Death cookie" comic. Cracks me up every damn time.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jack Thomas Chick

And here we show the intolerant Christian side of the whole debacle.

But to you sir.
1) As Fox said above, you claim that everyone who does not agree with you are satanists. Don't you think that a mighty broad brush? And not to forget the Christian sin of PRIDE? I mean after all your stating that only those like you have the right of it. Rather foolhardy thing to say considering your just human like the rest of us.

2) According to your definition I am a satanist, considering I am a pagan. Though I have repeatedly fought for Christian's right to believe what they want so long as they don't seek to harm others.

There is soo much more but quite honestly people that rant like this leave a bad taste in my mouth.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Did I just hear you call Satan a deity? WOW! You coming around MIMs are ya?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

There really are not true atheists. ... It is evidenced by their preoccupation with God.

Spot on. One of the most amusing aspects of this entire discussion is that a man who truly believed that there was no possibility of a God would not waste his time discussing it for hours. I suspect that they're really trying to just convince their selves. I suppose air brushing history might help them feel a little bit better about their stance on God.

I wouldn't say that demons were the cause of the disbelief. I think that each individual has enough pride and self favoritism to cause them to not believe in God without the help of any demon. Demons only really need to unlock what we already are at our worst. We all have the capability to be great or very bad. We of course choose what we are. Not even demons can make that decision for you.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Well, Jack, isn't pretty much everyone a Satanist, by these standards?

I mean, everyone outside your particular denomination, whatever it may be?

By the way, I love your "Death cookie" comic. Cracks me up every damn time.

Why no son! Just everyone but GOD fearing Christians.

Now if you would like to u2u me an email address I will be happy to provide you with a brand spanking new copy of Death Cookie.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have to agree dbates. If you're truly a secure person, whatever you feel that security is, you don't feel it necessary to go round debasing everyone else for whatever it is that makes them feel secure. It's a classic example of trying to make someone else look less smart to make yourself look smarter. Or pointing out everyone else's mistakes to make yours look less harsh. It's a sort of projecting.

We see the same thing coming from atheists. Projection onto someone else what they see in themselves. And the fear of it.

[edit on 4/14/08 by idle_rocker]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

A good man is hard to find and you sir have a heart as big as Texas. A wise man listens to his own conscience and these atheists are running away from theirs. They write books and have conventions on what? What they don't believe. Now that's just about as silly a screen door on a submarine.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Yet how could you say that when in a previous post you say every nonbeliever in Christianity are satanists? (otherwords EVIL)

I am seeing a case of the pot calling the kettle black here.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Son education is capital invested for the future! You need to go to a good Christian Bible school. You do not even know what the term heathen means. What a sorry secular system we have!

...you were implying that christians who educated me were heathens along with those who don't believe in your deity of choice

Spare the rod spoil the child.

woohoo, backwards medieval discipline systems that yield insignificant results when compared to more advanced systems for the win (sarcasm)

For the umpteenth time, you say there is proof to your theory, there is not.

i'd beg to differ.

I was talking to a evolutionist about proof, and all he said was there was too much to mention.

well, there is too much to mention all at once. how about i just provide you with a bit. if you find it lacking, i'll keep adding on.

here's a bit of evidence for macroevolution

do i need to prove microevolution for you? that one is easily observable. grab a cell culture of a microorganism that reproduces rapidly, put it under microscope

drug resistant bacteria are proof enough of evolution on the micro scale, as is the nylon eating bug.

He constantly avoided my unanswerable questions about the facts of origins.

how about you give me these mythic "unanswerable questions" that i always here that we proponents of evolution are always unable to answer?

Most evolutionists are very immature and insulting, calling creationists idiots every other sentence. They act like bickering morons that don't know what theyare talking about.

i highlighted the hypocrisy for you.

Marx invented communism son and he was a God hating evolutionist.

...Marx didn't invent communism, he refined the principles of it.

odd that you're dodging my question about a possible origin of communism, the bible.

Atheists are satanists by default.

...so we worship a being we don't believe in?
that's quite possibly the most logically incoherent thing i've seen on this forum.

You are on one side or the other.

no, i think we atheists would be switzerland.

Your ignorance is no excuse.

i'd like to say that your ignorance is no excuse for you to be able to spew this sort of filth, but i'll let it be. you don't seem to know any better.

There will be a day of reckoning and every knee will bow.

i'll take pascal at his wager on that one.

There really are not true atheists. Atheists actually know that God exists but theytry to live in complete denial.

no, we don't. this is a bigoted lie that is constantly regurgitated by theists, christians in particular.

It is evidenced by their preoccupation with God. They spend all their time trying desperately to disprove him.

really? i guess i didn't realize that i had stopped doing all that reading, writing, hanging out with my friends, playing video games and chess, running, biking, hiking, going on dates with my girlfriend, watching movies, spending time with my family, and watching tv...

honestly, i devote comparatively little time to the existence of god.

I have seen your handiwork on this website, you are a prime example. You take pride in quoting the Bible to discredit it.

ah, but that's discrediting a particular ideology that i find to be corrosive, not the general concept of god.

If you really were really an atheist you would not bother.

...and watch as children get abused through scare tactics (not saying that all religious people are abusing their children, just some), women's rights are suppressed, and homosexuals are further demonized?

no thank you, sir. i was brought up to fight for what's right, and i don't want to see the good ol' USA turn into a country run by a christian taliban, so i'm going to continue fighting.

You show your insecurity in your alleged non belief. You are obsessed with it, it is the demons in you.

oh not this **** again...
demons in me?

odd that i'd probably get a warn if i accused you of having a serious psychological dysfunction, but you can get away scot free calling me demon possessed

Beg GOD for forgiveness please.

which one?

The wages of sin is death; repent before pay day!

i know what i've done, i know what mistakes i've made. the only forgiveness i can ask for is from those i've wronged and from myself.

and you know what, i'll take my chances that an omnibenevolent being would see my side of the case and realize that i'm doing a good job as a human being.

if it's insecure enough that it needs me to worship it, i'll be better off not worshiping it.

reply to post by idle_rocker

i didn't say satan was a deity, i said we have no particular special beef with any deity. satanists would have a special antagonism towards the trinitarian jehovan deity, would they not?

so atheist =/= satanist

reply to post by dbates

dbates? is that really you?

come on, i thought you were better than this. why would christians preoccupy themselves with atheists if they didn't believe there were true atheists?

...and when have i outright rejected the possibility of a god?

agnostic atheist
i don't know
i don't believe

there is a possibility, but i see it as highly unlikely.

dawkins presented a scale from 1-7, 1 being "i absolutely believe in god, no question" and 7 being "i absolutely do not believe the possibility of god is possible in any way, no question" and 4 is obviously "i have no idea at all"

the vast majority of atheists fall in 5-6, i fall at the 6 end.

also, i see the concept of a diety as quite corrosive, so why wouldn't i be against it?
i'm against scientology too, does that mean i secretly know that xenu is really locked behind a forcefield that has an everlasting battery?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Son I think I have found out why there is so much madness in your soul. Unknown Anger is a short madness. One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.

Atheism and Its Link To Bad Dads

What he found is nothing less than astonishing. After studying the lives of more than a dozen of the world's most influential atheists, Vitz discovered that they all had one thing in common: Defective relationships with their fathers. By defective, Vitz means the fathers were dead, abusive, weak, or abandoned their children.

For example, Freidrich Nietzsche, a philosopher whose writings influenced everyone from Adolph Hitler to the Columbine killers, lost his father when he was not quite five years old. Nietzsche had been extremely close to his dad, a Lutheran pastor who died of a brain disease. "Nietzsche often spoke positively of his father and of his death as a great loss which he never forgot," Vitz explains. But "he also saw him as weak and sickly." It is not hard, Vitz says, "to view Nietzsche's rejection of God and Christianity as a rejection of the weakness of his father."

Bertrand Russell was famous for his rejection of Christianity; he lost his father when he was a young child, and was raised by a rigidly puritanical grandmother. Russell's daughter says that his grandmother's joyless faith was "the only form of Christianity my father knew well," a faith that taught that "the life of this world was no more than a gloomy testing ground for future bliss. . . My father threw this morbid belief out the window."

French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre also fits the defective father theory: His father died when Jean-Paul was a baby. "Jean-Paul was obsessed with fatherhood all his life," Vitz says. "His father's absence was such a painful reality that Jean-Paul spent a lifetime trying to deny the loss and build a philosophy in which the absence of a father and of God is the very starting place for the 'good' or 'authentic' life."

www.boundless.org...

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Jack Thomas Chick]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

dbates,

ATS is all about denying ignorance, right?

Children in some countries are taught about various imaginary beings, ---Santa Clause, the tooth fairy.....god.....

Adults who have adult brains, and critical thinking skills, begin to understand the differences between an imaginary childhood 'avatar' and what is truly, actually happening in the real world.

However, once adults grow, they begin to consider the fact that they are mortal, and will, at some time, die. Wow! That is frightening!

Hence, religion is invented.

Humans developed conscienceness, began to think as no other species on Earth had before, even after 3 Billion years of evoloution...and out of all the species, Man gradually, because of the frontal lobes, began to understand the concepts of death...they observed it, and understood, while other related, or un-related species observed, but didn't understand the implications.

Humans learned to think ahead....to plan, calculate, etc....maybe dolphins and whales can too, but we don't communicate with them, so it's hard to discuss their emotions.

Chimps, our closest primate cousin, are seriously lacking in the frontal lobe portion of their brains, thus the reasoning skills are permanently stilted, so that an adult Chimp is equated to a Human 5-year-old in equivalent intelligence.

Not their fault, they are just a little behind us on the evolutionary train.

Topic: It has been pointed out repeatedly, not only on this thread, but in many History books....the 'history' belongs to the victors.

Or, put another way....'Winner takes All!'

There are other aphorisms, choose one. Point I'd like to make is....Atheists are a minority, not a majority. Hope you won't argue that?

OK, then, the winner re-writes history....but, I don't see many atheists winning here...I see the 'theists' in control of writing 'history'...

Finally, I find the 'air-brush' analogy (sp?) quaint....I have three airbrushes...the real ones....perhaps "photoshopping history" is more apt, in today's technology??

Again, this is an open Forum, and I believe I have a right to speak my mind, I just hope that I didn't step on anyone's toes, because....ooohh! That would be so bad!

[sorry, sarcasm....trying to make a point]...

Thanks for your posts,

WW

[edit] sorry for the topic going all over the map, just consider it the ravings of an old man (50)]

[edit on 4/16/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I find the apparent requirement to fear a being that's supposed to love you to be logically incongruous.

I was asking however, which particular Christian groups count. As I'm sure that you're aware, Christianity's got a huge number of sects and denominations, right? Some of which are pretty far removed from one another.
So, my question is, which Christian denominations fall under your categorization as "god-fearing Christians" and which don't? If it is just a matter of accepting the divinity and sacrifice of Jesus, well then you've got Mormons and several new-age groups hanging out with you. But once you narrow it down from there, you start shaving off people who are traditionally seen as "Christian"

So where's the rule?

new topics

top topics

<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join