It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 KB5014699 The Update from Hell ...Now more Hell with KB5015807

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Thanks, Encia!
But there may be some more or less good news.
I wonder if the person on that M$ thread did a restart?

When we restarted the laptop, and it finally settled down, my husband reopened update.
It now says check for updates
Which is an improvement over the failed update showing with RETRY.
Still cannot pause, as it says your computer is NOT up to date
edit on Sun Jun 26 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 02:34 PM
link   

So, as far as you can tell, the link isn't dangerous?

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Ok, we're making progress...

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I'm not entirely sure. I don't think it is nefarious, but I don't know what it's doing either.

That's why I'd like to see the batch file.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 06:25 PM
link   

What are your thoughts on trying to download/install that hellish update from the online window update page

Although how in the world would you know which one to use??????
www.catalog.update.microsoft.com...

Watching this video now.....and I have seen this website before, unlike the other YT from the previous page of this thread.

Another....or maybe this has already been posted.
ugetfix.com...
#1 did not work
#4 not desperate enough to buy software
#5 WTF...reinstalling windows still seems pretty severe to fix a windows SNAFU

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

What are your thoughts on trying to download/install that hellish update from the online window update page

Although how in the world would you know which one to use??????
www.catalog.update.microsoft.com...

Yes, it can't hurt to try. At the very least, it won't install, like the original update to date. Even Gothmog thought it was worth a try, but thinks it will fail like before. However, you've run some checks since then, and your laptop's config has evolved, if not fixed at a file system level.

The link I provided gives the hellish upstate at the very top (317.3 Mb), no need to hunt for it.

However, once downloaded you can't just double click it to install. You need to follow the instructions in the second link I posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm off to watch the YT video to see what it's about. It's already tomorrow for me (3am), so I'll probably get back to you later today.

Also, I want to try and download the other YT fix so that I can examine the batch file. I'll probably post it here as simple text for the others. If I'm not convinced, I'll try to get my IT squad to have a look... but knowing them, it may take a few days to get some feedback.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Another....or maybe this has already been posted.
ugetfix.com...
#1 did not work
#4 not desperate enough to buy software
#5 WTF...reinstalling windows still seems pretty severe to fix a windows SNAFU

Ok, I had a quick look at that website.

Solution 4 is in two parts, and neither require buying software. One part is the catalog we discussed in my previous post. Basically, it's M$'s way of allowing you to manually download updates. The other part is to do with resetting the windows updating service. This is what I think the YT batch file fix attempts to do.

Solution 5 doesn't necessarily mean a clean install of windows. In the good old days, when we got a DVD installation disk with our computers, you could run an over-the-top repair installation, basically fixing whatever us naive users had messed with and broken. Nowadays, you need to download an ISO image of the OS and burn it to DVD yourself... making sure you have your license details at hand. That's why I had a nice collection of various flavours of Enterprise editions that didn't require a licence. Unfortunately, my collection stops at XP and NT server. I started indulging in Linux after that.

Finally, some manufacturers reserve a hidden partition of the HD to store an image of the factory installation (like every smartphone has), and this kind of reparation installation can be run directly from the PC. The manufacturer will provide some kind of hub/console to manage the computer and from which you can restore your original factory installation (destructive for your personal data) or to repair, which should leave your data and personal configuration untouched.

Sorry for the long winded explanation... I hope it makes sense.

Ciao for now

edit on 26/6/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

I'm not entirely sure. I don't think it is nefarious, but I don't know what it's doing either.

That's why I'd like to see the batch file.

I've changed my mind. I think Techie Savi is just a scammer

I thought it would be easy to download the fix in the video notes. NO, it wants you to like the video, subscribe and turn on notifications. THEN, it also wants you to subscribe to a Discord channel... and then wait... I tried numerous times, but it just doesn't work. You either fulfil one half or the other of the requirements, but never both.

Whoever it is can go kiss my pretty white ass!

Now I understand the high subscriber number and no comments, which are probably posted, but deleted. Dislike numbers don't appear on YT anymore, so it's perfect for scamming. On Discord, you can't enter into any meaningful conversation, either.

Definitely one to stay away from!

I'm sorry, DTOM, but this avenue is closed, at least for me, but I could always be wrong and overreacting. However, after a certain age, my gut instinct tends to be a better guide than my head.... and the whole experience has definitely been cholic.

edit on 26/6/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2022 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Watching this video now.....and I have seen this website before, unlike the other YT from the previous page of this thread.

Ok, it's been a rough day, but I've finally managed to see the video.

The first solution gives you the text to create the same batch file that other idiot is making people jump through hoops for. I'll paste it in a quote box below so it's easier to copy without having to go to the video description. I would try it!

The other solutions are what is described in the other website you posted.

Unfortunately, the troubleshooter program link is missing in the info, but I think you've already tried that.

The third solution is what we discussed earlier. Basically, downloading an ISO of Windows installation DVD and running a repair installation over your current one., remembering to choose to maintain your files and programs. It will take much longer than what is shown in the video... hours!

Finally, reading the comments, it appears none of the fixes work. However, everyone has different PCs and only God knows what state they're in.

Anyway, here's the text for the batch file:

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%Application DataMicrosoftNetworkDownloader*.*"
rmdir %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%system32catroot2 /S /Q
sc.exe sdset bits D
A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D
A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
cd /d %windir%system32

regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll
regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll
regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll
regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll
regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll
regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll
regsvr32.exe /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32.exe /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32.exe /s ole32.dll
regsvr32.exe /s shell32.dll
regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wups.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wups2.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32.exe /s qmgr.dll
regsvr32.exe /s qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wucltux.dll
regsvr32.exe /s muweb.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuwebv.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc

Copy & Paste into notepad and save as fix.bat

Then run the file with admin rights.

ETA: LOL, I didn't add smileys in the text, ATS is interpreting the text as such. To get the pure text, just quote me and grab what's between the exnews tags.

edit on 27/6/2022 by Encia22 because: Editing to get rid of smileys... No.joy!

posted on Jun, 27 2022 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I will take your word on this, sounds like good reasoning to avoid, and I have added a link to this post in the post I made with the link.
And disabled the link.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 27 2022 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Thanks for your trust, DTOM.

posted on Jun, 27 2022 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

Thanks for your trust, DTOM.

You are most welcome.
I appreciate the efforts of you and the others here who have come to assist me and others with our computer issues.

For now, I think he's going to wait until the next updates come out, see if it gets fixed. Before attempting any other "corrections'

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   

It's always a pleasure to help!

Ok, I'll wait for your updates.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:05 PM
link   

We ended up doing the Windows Upgrade, because it kept trying to install the bad update.
Well, it did get rid of KB5014699!!!!!!!!
Actually, it looks like Windows had a lot of issues with it and had to issue this to resolve problems.

BUT.....now we have KB5015807, for 21H1
And we are back to it failing., with an error message 0x80073712

I looked at this which has a link to the Windows update catalog. But there's like 12 of them.
I can just look at the 21H1, and I think we have x64....but there is still more than one.
And it looks like using the manual download can cause another issue.
So, I don't think I want to try that.

So, I am wondering how safe it is to use Windows Upgrade AGAIN.....

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Ok, the problem has shifted, but I think the computer has some intrinsic issues that seem to prevent updates from installing.

The error message you get is pretty generic and has been used by Microsoft since forever. It just indicates that something can't be installed because there is something damaged or missing.

The catalogue is a nightmare, I feel your pain and confusion. I'm going through it by process of elimination, but it's way past my bedtime and I'll continue tomorrow.

In the meantime, have you tried running the Troubleshooter again. I'm hoping it will pick up what the issue is:
support.microsoft.com...

Apart from time and lost patience, there's no harm in trying to run the update again. I don't know how often you reboot your PC, but I would do a shutdown and reboot before running the updater again.

Just one last question... do you have multiple user profiles setup on the PC?

edit on 16/7/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Right, the manual option is not available in the catalogue. What we see in the list are incremental updates more for geeks and companies with Enterprise editions.

Here's where I found the info. Microsoft Support

So the only option is via Windows Update feature. Unfortunately, you're going to have to keep on trying to run the updater, or if the system is working for you, leave it alone and wait for the next natural patch to roll out (typically, every second Tuesday of each month).

Here's a quick tip to know exactly what's on your PC:

Press Windows Key and R together. In the dialogue box that opens, type winver and hit enter. You'll get a small window open with the Version and Build of your system.

For more geeky information, do the same key combination but type msinfo32.exe. You'll get a lot more details that you can also export to a text file for future reference.

That's all I got for the moment... sorry.

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I just saw this and your earlier post.
Thanks for the info.

The updater is stuck on retry.
So, he leaves it plugged in.
It sleeps.
If you turn it off, it automatically retries....and cpu runs at 100% for several houes.
Same if you try anything on the update page.

I don't get how running the Upgrade didn't override any bad files.

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I think that the problem might stem from the fact the PC is put in hibernation rather than being shutdown. For a clean install of updates, the system benefits from being freshly booted.

At work, most important updates our deployed during the late evening, early morning. However, PCs left to sleep, never get updated. After a week or so, the user usually starts complaining about a sluggish and unresponsive system, and when they eventually reboot, they complain the updates take too long... I feel like banging their heads against the wall. So, for these select people, I schedule a restart of their computers each night, just before midnight, so they have a fresh new configuration each morning.

Have you tried rebooting the computer and leaving it to do its thing unattended overnight?

As for the updates overwriting files, consider that a fresh install of Windows 10 (without additional software) usually comprises of circa 200K+ files, distributed in something like 70K+ folders. It would take a complete Windows reparation install to overwrite them all. Usually, a security patch will only cover updating a fraction of those system files. However, an integrated operated system like Windows has many files dependent on others, that may not be updated, but could be corrupt, empty (0 bytes), missing for some reason or "in use".

This last scenario is the reason I asked about multiple profiles, because sometimes a user will switch to another profile, leaving a lot of running processes hanging in the previous user's work session. This scenario could easily prevent updates from installing as some system files will appear "in use" and will be ignored, inevitably leading to the update failing. Obviously, the files aren't damaged or missing and the Troubleshooter won't see anything as being wrong. All the files are present and correct, just locked to a program left open, say a Word document, a browser session, an incomplete movie, etc. I see this all the time at work with shared computers.

edit on 17/7/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Okay, no there is only the one profile.

And, up until the Update from Hell last month, he turned the laptop off [shut down] every night.

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 10:05 PM
link   

If you shut it down, the "bad" updates tries to install again, and the laptop runs at 100% for hours. Then it fails again.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join