It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cigs second hand "smoke"? Safe or not for the non smoker?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
So we have a consensus: chris fishenstein has said some really, really stupid stuff.

I think people worry far too much about what is "safe" and not. I mean, it isn't dioxin we are talking about. The fetish that some people have with eeking out extra years at the end of their life....i just don't get it.

Sure i want a "full life". What I don't want is to extend my life into the 100's. Especially at this point, where the future 100 years from now isn't quite as bright as it once was.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer
reply to post by butcherguy

The only reason you wouldn't be able to see what I'm talking about is if you were on a mobile device.

You may not believe this Toki, but now that I am on my phone, I can see the count of days since you switched

Congrats, and keep it up!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I hope your wife doesn't faint.

Btw thanks for the info on this study. Ive been looking for this kind of study for a while now.

edit on 19-3-2013 by AnimositisominA because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AnimositisominA

A classic for sure. Gotta love that movie.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Hahahahahaha, that makes no sense whatsoever but thanks for the words of encouragement.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
There were at one point e-cigs that did vapor and nothing else, though not sure if that is still the case. A buddy of mine use to use those.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
TW needs a tampon and a midol!! Seriously I am sick of this debate it is another way to destroy an american company!! If you wanna say something about what I write please PM me as I can never find what I have posted on anyway!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I smoke the V2 e cig, but I'm not sure I would trust a study done by them. The potential for bias is just too great. They're going to promote their product, even if they have to skew the study.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Let's be clear about this study. To begin with there are several articles and studies conducted stating e cigs are 4,000x safer than regular cigarettes. It is not the nicotine or tobacco that causes cancer, it is the additives
in the cigarettes that cause cancer, such as carpet glue for starters.

Secondly, the e-cig business is making billions! The government wants a big piece of that pie, so what do they
decide to do? Poison the well! They will bring the feds in to regulate and monitor in some ridiculous bogus study to shut this business down! The tobacco industry is losing money therefore the government is too.

To conclude, I find it very interesting that one of the studies was conducted in Utah, when Utah is the first state to introduce into legislation that e- cigarettes should be taxed the same as regular cigarettes!

After being a long time smoker, I quit with the e cig! Been 6 months now! To everyone knocking this method, do the research for e cigs not against! Give the former smokers a break! Cause if we leave it up to Government funded studies we will forever be damned!

Thanks,
Pax

feeling lazy will post my links in a second.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
To the O.P.

There have been multiple studies done on the subject of electronic cigarette vapor safety and the safety of its second-hand vapor. All of the studies done so far have supported the idea that not only are electronic cigarettes safer than conventional tobacco products but, in fact, may pose no health risk at all to the user as well as others in the room. Electronic cigarettes do not utilize combustion to produce vapor.

They heat a liquid comprised of vegetable glycerin (I guarantee you are within 50 feet of a product containing vegetable glycerin as you read this), propylene glycol (used in the medical field for non-water soluble medications and in respiratory treatments for decades upon decades) and flavoring that have been used in foods as well as electronic cigarettes.

St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Legislation to tax E-cigs:Huffington Post

Pax

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Uuummm, it's MY house, I pay for it.....if I wanted too smoke inside I would....but Inwould rather pollute your air because you are being so ridiculous.

God I am jealous, I usually pull off some good insults etc... sometimes, but you have a gift like my liittle brother, somehow you mange to do so much with so few words.

I had to star you, that was nicely done.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I really don't want to get in a fight today, so I will try to be nice.

Does your wife get dizzy when she is walking through town and there are cars going by?

If not, the I doubt very much it is the e cigs. Even real cigs won't make you dizzy unless your in a closed room with more than one.

This constant attack on smokers and now vapors is just ridiculous. Stop picking on the little annoyances and worry about the big stuff in the air, water and food.

This anti-smoking crap is really getting tiresome...as I have always said...you wanna be sure you,
a) dont drive a car
b) stay off the streets
c) dont eat meat
d) vet everything you eat
(there's probly more)

Most important, before squalking about air quality, is researching the effects of the meat eating industry (cigarette smoke does not rate a mention!)...the argument about air quality is quickly turned around on this one...

A99

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I really don't want to get in a fight today, so I will try to be nice.

Does your wife get dizzy when she is walking through town and there are cars going by?

If not, the I doubt very much it is the e cigs. Even real cigs won't make you dizzy unless your in a closed room with more than one.

This constant attack on smokers and now vapors is just ridiculous. Stop picking on the little annoyances and worry about the big stuff in the air, water and food.

The "funny" thing is, they were in the mall shopping, LIKELY having a bag with "groceries" on them as well where every single item contained chemicals, sweeteners, carcinogens and whatever other toxins....and maybe even ate some "food" in the food court laced with chemicals, preservatives, toxins, MSG and what not.

And then driving home from the mall surrounded by smog and fumes from cars.

I don't want to sound cynical, but as i know 99% of *whatever* ingredients are in the vapor of e-cigs are actually inhaled and only a small portion gets out as "passive vape" - while some studies actually found NO INCREASED concentrations whatsoever of increased nicotine or other substances from vaping (as opposed to smoking) in the air.

edit on 20-3-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
it is the additives in the cigarettes that cause cancer, such as carpet glue for starters.

The harmful substances in cigarettes are mostly produced from BURNING. E-cigs don't burn anything, this is why they don't produce harmful toxins and carcinogens.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Folks?

You need to be aware that nicotine does indeed cause cancer. It can and does cause changes in the epithelial tissues where it is absorbed. You will find it argued that all it does is cause other cancers to proliferate, but we need to err on the side of caution.

Vaping has a learning curve, I imagine, much like proper cigar smoking. The nicotine is absorbed primarily in the nasopharynx, and not the lungs. So it is really about the exhale, but I digress, the thing is that as you get better at it, you should be cutting down to 6 or 3 mg liquids. I found 12mg to be too much inside of the first 30 days, and I was a typical pack+/a-day smoker.

Also, get a good personal vaporizer that delivers decent voltage, 3.7 and above, otherwise you will forever be stuck in vaping limbo saying things like, "It'll do", and, "They're all right".

You need vaping to blow your mind if you want to get off the nasty analogs. Vaping is also a hedonistic pleasure that should not be missed and has too much in common these days with molecular gastronomy to be ignored. I hope that everyone gets a chance to try it (virtually all e-liquids can be had at 0mg, ).

edit on 20-3-2013 by Bybyots because: yay vaping

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

which is exactly what I did........i quit chewing and smoking because of ecigs......for over a year and a half now

my setup is a silver bullet with a rebuild-able genesis atomizer.......i make my own wicks and do my own coils......

And use whatever liquid i choose......presently vanilla bourbon bean with a hint of chocolate

Big voluminous fantastic clouds of vapor with just the right amount of nicotine.......

Not only that , my last checkup my lungs looked fantastic......and I dont hack and cough all the time.......

I even got 4 or 5 of my family members to switch........

This poster clearly has no idea what they are talking about..........
edit on 20-3-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Hope your family walked. I don't want your vehicle exhaust in my air.

People like you are why we are losing more and more freedoms. Your vehicle gives off way more toxins then my cigarette does. You will never be able to get away from air toxins, get over it. So you vote to strip another freedom? This is why we live in the state of the country we are in today.

BTW I doubt that experience made you post. You saw someone post about an e cig conspiracy before you and though hey I could use some stars and flags.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

Eta don't know how to link said thread. His was posted 19 hours ago and yours 16 hours ago. Plenty of time to fabricate a story and do a little research. I see it all the time here and sure many others do as well. Not to call you a liar of course.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
When I go out in public I really dont want to breathe in, any dust.... Which we all know is 80% skin cells. I really have no desire to inhale the crap dropping of your skin. Could you cut it off, or get in a bubble please?

Screw the secondhand smoke your kids are breathing. Smoke from fires has been around a long time, and it's really not that dangerous unless inhaled in excess. Much worse things in the world than a nicotine buzz for your wife or kids exist... I know everyone is brainwashed from kindergarten to believe smoking is evil and kills, but let's gain some perspective....

While you're complaing about harmless vapors and not so harmless smoke, take a walk outside that mall, look up, and ask yourself what the hell the government is spraying in the sky. I guarantee it's much more harmful than anything I've mentioned thus far... priorities people....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Well, you should be glad you were never downwind back when I was smoking a Latakia/Perique based pipe tobacco, you'd have been more than dizzy I suspect.

However, the solution is for everyone to dip. Dip has no second-hand smoke, just don't make a mistake and drink from someone's Copenhagen spit bottle.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by timetothink

If a power plant was pumping smoke into the mall at the food court, I would be complaining about that too, you are right.....And e-cigs can be smoked outside where they belong...

My point is I don't want it where I am eating and my family is there.....Is that an issue with you?

Well then, you could have avoided all of this, and attracted the correct audience for your thread, had you called it "I hate smokers, stay outside you swines!" and posted it in the #rant forums.

Instead, you call it 'E-Cigs second hand "smoke"? Safe or not for the non smoker?', while attempting to use articles that you yourself claim are not entirely clear (at least in the OP) and then bang on about having a meal in a food court with smokers, and post it in #general conspiracies.

The vapour from ecigs is, as has been pointed out, artificial smoke (vapour) and nicotine. There are no additives to it, apart from flavourings.

It is in between actually smoking, and smoking shisha. Shisha is vapour, nicotine and flavours. Nothing is actually burnt to get the vapour. The coal heats the flavours and nicotine to vapourising point.

ecigs will no doubt contain carcinogens. Smoking is not healthy, despite what it is or how you imbibe it, the chemicals are additional to your well being. But far less than an actual burnt concoction of a plant and a chemical cocktail designed over the years to keep your flavour billowing and your pockets just that little bit lighter.

So, why not just come out and say it, you hate eating where people smoke.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join