It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cigs second hand "smoke"? Safe or not for the non smoker?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
First off I would like to send congrats to everyone who dropped traditional cigs for electronic versions...

Now I have to ask with the research, or lack there of, is second hand "smoke" from ecigs harmful to innocent bystanders?

In a recent study, published by the journal Indoor Air, the chemical components of both second-hand smoke and second-hand “vapor” were compared. Human subjects were given either a traditional tobacco cigarette or an electronic cigarette and left to puff away in a specially designed chamber. This chamber then measured the amounts of different chemicals which would be inhaled by anyone who consumed these substances, second-hand.

There is a "recent study" (from 2012) about the effects of second hand smoke from ecigs. Now this "study" is very vague at best! I have a personal experience I will share after all of this.

As expected, the toxic substances found in the cigarette smoke far outweighed the traces found in e-cig vapor. More than 20 volatile organic compounds were detected in cigarette smoke; trace amounts of six of these elements were found in the electronic cigarette vapor. Once exhaled, the e-cig vapor was found to contain miniscule amount of nicotine and flavoring. The primary compound detected in the exhaled vapor was propylene glycol, which is present in many of the foods we eat has been deemed safe by the FDA.

Entire article here.... www.v2cigs.com...

Now this quote says the toxic substance found in regular smoke "far outweighed" the traces from an ecig.....But as you can see this is a very vague statement....

Is it really safe for me (the non smoker)?

Medical studies on the health benefits or safety risks of e-cigarettes will continue to be done, and gradually a more precise health profile of ecigs will becomes clearer. But overall, electronic cigarettes are definitely a cleaner less toxic alternative to regular cigarettes,

"Less toxic".....Again with a vague description....

he Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center in Athens, Greece has done an August 2012 ecig health study on the effects of e-cigarettes on the heart. Their results have shown that the blood pressure and heart activity was more affected with those using regular cigarettes than with those using electronic cigarettes. There has not been much research done in this area, but this may show the effects of e-cigarettes are less risky than using regular cigarettes.

"Blood pressure and heart activity WAS MORE affected with those using regular cigarettes"

Acute effects on the heart
Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos through the Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center in Greece studied the effects of electronic cigarette usage on the human heart. Through his study, the laboratory analyses indicate that it [Electronic Cigarette] is significantly less toxic and our study has shown no significant defects in cardiac function after acute use. Most [other] studies have found no nitrosamines [in vapor], but even in studies where nitrosamines were found, the levels detected were 500-1400 times less than the amount present in one tobacco cigarette. This means that electronic cigarettes must be used daily for 4-12 months to get the amount of nitrosamines present in a single tobacco cigarette.

Read more here.... www.utahvapers.com...
This above was an actual peer reviewed study..

Results During the smoking session, 19 cigarettes were smoked, administering 11.4mg of nicotine
(according to cigarette pack information). During the e-CIG session, 1.6 ml of liquid was consumed, administering
17.6mg of nicotine. During the smoking session we found: TOC=6.66mg/m3, toluene=1.7 μg/m3,
xylene=0.2 μg/m3, CO=11 mg/m3, nicotine=34 μg/m3, acrolein=20 μg/ml and PAH=9.4 μg/m3. No glycerin,
propylene glycol and NOx were detected after the smoking session. During the e-CIG session we
found: TOC=0.73 mg/m3 and glycerin=72 μg/m3. No toluene, xylene, CO, NOx, nicotine, acrolein or
PAHs were detected on room air during the e-CIG session.

Read the whole study here.... clearstream.flavourart.it...

So this above CLEARLY states that there were multiple things found in the air after the test was done.....

FINALLY some actual proof that your e-cigs are tainting the air of us who don't want it in the air!!

Now to my story and what brought me to even look into this topic.

I was at the mall with my wife and 10 month old daughter.....We were at the food court and there was a table of older gentlemen sitting at the table beside us...We ate our food and when we got up, my wife (never smoked in her life or any tobacco products at all) stood up and felt light headed.....

She said she had about a minute of feeling light headed as we sat back down, I suspected it was from the e-cigs that the table of older gentlemen were all smoking while sitting beside us....

It sounded like my wife got some nicotine from the e-cigs from the guys beside us, so I decided to look into this "safe" cigarette for people....

I agree to the smoker this is the safe alternative, but I don't want to breathe in the chemicals you are breathing in, and I damn sure don't want my daughter breathing this crap in either....

So to end, please smoke these e-cigs somewhere you would smoke a regular cigarette so others who don't want to inhale this stuff don't have to.....They aren't completely safe for everyone around you!

What are your thoughts on this ATS?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Propylene glycol is one of my worst nightmares. I have to watch shampoos to make sure I do not have one with it. I can wash my hands in battery acid without burning and hardly ever get a rash but propylene glycol gives me a rash. Ethylene glycol doesn't even give me a rash on the skin. Methyl Ethyl Ketone doesn't bother me except if I breath it too long, then it gives me a headache.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I know it's not exactly scientific evidence but take a look at this.

www.youtube.com...

Yes, I know it's not embedded, I don't care.

Take a look at my signature, that's how long I've been using the electronics, I only feel ten million times better than I did when I smoked.

+35 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You may have an airborne virus that you are spreading every time that you go out in public.

I don't want your airborne viruses that you carry, so stay home.

I see what I did there.

No really, I think that unless he was exhaling the vapors directly into your wife's face while she was inhaling, she may have felt an effect. Otherwise, I think that she may have been experiencing a psychosomatic effect.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

I can't watch the video at work, but from the rest of your post I think you are missing the point...

Congrats on quitting regular cigarettes......Don't smoke them around people is all I am saying...

They aren't safe for others....Better for you? Yep.....Better for others? Nope

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You are funny......Don't mind the actual studies......Close those eyes while reading, it works every time!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

Take a look at my signature, that's how long I've been using the electronics, I only feel ten million times better than I did when I smoked.

Making sure what you are saying there.

You started using e-cigs when the US Presidential debates covered the topic of 'horses and bayonets'?

+35 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I really don't want to get in a fight today, so I will try to be nice.

Does your wife get dizzy when she is walking through town and there are cars going by?

If not, the I doubt very much it is the e cigs. Even real cigs won't make you dizzy unless your in a closed room with more than one.

This constant attack on smokers and now vapors is just ridiculous. Stop picking on the little annoyances and worry about the big stuff in the air, water and food.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

You are funny......Don't mind the actual studies......Close those eyes while reading, it works every time!

Ahhh, but you said it yourself that the conclusions were vague.
I've seen studies done that promised me that I would have skin cancer by now.... fail.
Same for tropical real estate in PA due to global warming....fail.
I'd be living in an igloo due to the impending ice age.... fail.
I just wish that I could have trusted the damn Jetsons.... where's my jetpack, Skycar and personal robot?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

This constant attack on smokers and now vapors is just ridiculous. Stop picking on the little annoyances and worry about the big stuff in the air, water and food.

If anyone had been in my office about an hour ago, they would've been treated to some 'vapors'. Wheeew! I dare say that anyone getting a whiff of that would plead to be taken into a room full e-cig smokers.
I made oyster stew last night. There's sulfur or something nasty in those mollusks.

link   
My doctor told me that they are doing research because some folks myself included blood platelets started bottoming out....It was scary...havent touched one since.

+1 more 
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

The only response I have to that is, it's stage fog. freaking stage fog. Ever been to a night club or something? Same thing only with some flavoring and nicotine.

+29 more 
link   
Get yer nose out of somebody elses business......
It gets pretty damn tiring having people dictating to others.....because of their own proclivities.
Thisis the direction society is headed in....
Everyone the sam,e everyone with their heads up everybody eles gigi.
Truthfully you are breathing literally TONS of industrial byproducts and exhausts.all day every day.....
Why not go after the major pollutors instead of some wore out old folks......
This rap makes me angry.

I bet you complain about yer neigbours lawn too.....bah!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Wow, you don't read either......It's okay I will spell it out again just for you!

We were eating less than 4 inches away from another table that was practically butted up against our table....

There was an entire table.....Read......Entire table of elderly gentlemen smoking these together sitting around talking to each other...

By entire table, there were at least 10....But the 4 at the end of the table were at least 10 feet away....

My wife was sitting with her left arm 2 inches away from the two closest to us......ANYWAYS

No she doesn't get sick when cars drive by...

ANYWAYS....This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the research I found, NOTHING to do with the studies that proved there are chemicals in the air from these e-cigs....

So if you will take the time to actually READ.....(it's simple, top to bottom, left to right.....Group of words together forms a sentence).....Read what the studies have proven and stop attacking me or my wife, we HAVE NOTHING to do with these studies....

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

The only reason you wouldn't be able to see what I'm talking about is if you were on a mobile device.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer

The only response I have to that is, it's stage fog. freaking stage fog. Ever been to a night club or something? Same thing only with some flavoring and nicotine.

NOCOTINE??

Oh you just proved me right......It is not freaking stage fog...

Read the freaking studies or go troll somewhere else!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I feel ya, they don't agree with me either.

Just posted reply about this on another thread....everything we do as humans.......EVERYTHING, creates pollution that is annoying to SOMEONE. Even nature ruins the air......this is all just overly dramatic people always having to complain about something they don't like, or are told they shouldn't like.

edit on 19-3-2013 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Well I must apologize I don't want my wife, my daughter, and myself breathing in YOUR crap chemicals you are putting into YOUR body!!

I don't want it, don't like it, shouldn't have to.....

Go smoke outside like smokers deserve.....

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Fog is created by pumping one of a variety of different glycol or glycol/water mixtures (referred to as fog fluid) into a heat exchanger (essentially a block of metal with a resistance heating element in it) and heating until the fluid vapourizes, creating a thick translucent or opaque cloud. Devices specifically manufactured for this purpose are referred to as a fog machines.

Yes, fool. Stage fog.

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Oh I see whats going on here. You aren't satisfied with the attacks on smokers so now you have to attack all the alternatives. Heh, this guy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join