Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

E-Cigs second hand "smoke"? Safe or not for the non smoker?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

No one's forcing you to go to the mall, FFS.

I don't like your breath or the way you look, you're offending my family. Get out of the mall I shop at.

That's what you sound like.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Just wanted to post this about glycerin, don't see how it would cause her to feel faint.

Glycerin, or Glycerine, a syrupy alcohol that is colorless and odorless and has a sweet taste. It is usually called glycerol by chemists. Glycerin dissolves readily in other alcohols and in water, but is insoluble in such common solvents as ether, benzene, and ethyl acetate.

Most glycerin is produced as a by-product of the soap industry. The natural fats used as raw material for soap are converted into fatty acids and glycerin by reaction with water in a chemical process called hydrolysis. The glycerin is then purified by distillation with steam. Large quantities of glycerin are also made by the reaction of chlorine and propylene, followed by hydrolysis.

Because it absorbs moisture from the air, glycerin is used in drugs, foods, tobaccos, cosmetics, gaskets, papers, and adhesives to prevent them from drying out. Glycerin adds flexibility to certain plastic materials. It is an important ingredient of alkyd resins, used in paints and varnishes. Glycerin is used in manufacturing nitroglycerin, the chief ingredient in dynamite. Formula: CH2OHCHOHCH2OH. Specific gravity: 1.26; boiling point: 554 F. (290 C.).

science.howstuffworks.com...

So it is still a mystery how you can blame the e cigs.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

If a power plant was pumping smoke into the mall at the food court, I would be complaining about that too, you are right.....And e-cigs can be smoked outside where they belong...

The air inside the mall comes from outside of the mall. The mall that is surrounded by a giant parking lot. A parking lot to park pollutant-belching cars that some people drive there when they go shopping.

I'm not saying that you and your family didn't all ride your bicycles there.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I will be back on to apparently defend my sanity and my doctor tests my family apparently needs in a bit.....

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I have been a smoker, I have not been a smoker, so I have heen around both smokers and nonsmokers.

Your being ridiculous if your claiming your wife got dizzy from others smoking an electronic cigarette, it is about a hundred times more likely she stood too fast after eating, when the blood rushes to your digestive tract, and so got a moment of lightheadedness.

I believe your just one of the types to complain about anything someone else does that you dont like, and are attempting to make a mountain out of a mole hill over nothing.

You didnt seem to mind the asbestos you were putting in the air every time you hit the brakes in your car, which is hundreds of times more dangerous than smoking any amount of cigarettes.

So just remeber next time you wanna get all preachy about a non issue, your driving alone has caused more asbestosis related deaths than cigarettes, so stop driving your car, or stop complaining until you do, as your activities are way worse for more people than every e cig out there combined, though I am sure you already know tha. Like most humans though, your activities are just fine, it is everyone elses that are the problem.

I still gave you a star and flag, as it was worth knowing, I just find your position on the subject to be hypocritical at least.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Why do you keep saying I am blaming e-cigs? She could have gotten up too quickly, those were present so I looked into them....

Wow you guys blow things so far out of proportion....

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

I have been a smoker, I have not been a smoker, so I have heen around both smokers and nonsmokers.

Your being ridiculous if your claiming your wife got dizzy from others smoking an electronic cigarette, it is about a hundred times more likely she stood too fast after eating, when the blood rushes to your digestive tract, and so got a moment of lightheadedness.

I believe your just one of the types to complain about anything someone else does that you dont like, and are attempting to make a mountain out of a mole hill over nothing.

You didnt seem to mind the asbestos you were putting in the air every time you hit the brakes in your car, which is hundreds of times more dangerous than smoking any amount of cigarettes.

So just remeber next time you wanna get all preachy about a non issue, your driving alone has caused more asbestosis related deaths than cigarettes, so stop driving your car, or stop complaining until you do, as your activities are way worse for more people than every e cig out there combined, though I am sure you already know tha. Like most humans though, your activities are just fine, it is everyone elses that are the problem.

I still gave you a star and flag, as it was worth knowing, I just find your position on the subject to be hypocritical at least.

You know that brakes are asbestos free now a days, right?

Non-asbestos brake pads were introduced in the 1990s. At first they were not suitable for use in heavy-duty vehicles. As a result, asbestos brake pads were not suddenly eliminated, but slowly phased out.

And no I don't complain about anyting other than things that are forced upon me and my family like this......I make the decision to not breathe this crap in....Period....

Smokers just need to stay outside, that's all I am saying....
edit on 3/19/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by butcherguy

Your personal attacks on me don't change the fact of what happened....

Not to mention my "experience" has NOTHING to do with the Peer Reviewed study in my OP....

You are trying to derail this by personal attacks.....I can take em all day buddy.....Doesn't change the FACTS
What FACTS? You have no facts, only speculation and guessing at best. There are more pollutants in the air from auto exhaust and hairspray than from any e-cigarette. You wanna tell people to stop driving and ban hairspray or stop going outside?
edit on 19-3-2013 by poloblack because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

YOU said it right HERE:

She said she had about a minute of feeling light headed as we sat back down, I suspected it was from the e-cigs that the table of older gentlemen were all smoking while sitting beside us.... It sounded like my wife got some nicotine from the e-cigs from the guys beside us, so I decided to look into this "safe" cigarette for people.... I agree to the smoker this is the safe alternative, but I don't want to breathe in the chemicals you are breathing in, and I damn sure don't want my daughter breathing this crap in either....

And you keep saying the studies prove your point, I just showed you where your studies found NOTHING in the air but glycerin.......pleas look again because I think you are missing where it says NO bad stuff was found in the air.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

Where did I mention BAN anywhere? Point it out to me......Please!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Dude, I said I suspected it......Only because that was all that was around at the time....

Like I said in another post, she could have stood up too fast after eating....Who knows??

All that came from my suspected interest was me looking into it more......Hence this thread.....

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Well I must apologize I don't want my wife, my daughter, and myself breathing in YOUR crap chemicals you are putting into YOUR body!!

I don't want it, don't like it, shouldn't have to.....

Go smoke outside like smokers deserve.....

So some honesty from the guy finally, so now that your true oppinion is out do you want to embrace or deny it?

Here I will clear I up, smokers smoke outside like they deserve. That is quite telling.

So one you believe not only that you are better than them, but you also believe you should be able to dictate their behaviors also.

Thanks hitler, I think we all understand your pov now quite clearly.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
You said:

ANYWAYS....This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the research I found, NOTHING to do with the studies that proved there are chemicals in the air from these e-cigs....
So if you will take the time to actually READ.....(it's simple, top to bottom, left to right.....Group of words together forms a sentence)..
...Read what the studies have proven and stop attacking me or my wife, we HAVE NOTHING to do with these studies....

MR Pot......meet Kettle.

I am going to keep posting this sentence from YOUR peer reviewed study until you read it properly.

During the e-CIG session we found: TOC=0.73 mg/m3 and glycerin=72 μg/m3.

No toluene, xylene, CO, NOx, nicotine, acrolein or PAHs were detected on room air during

NO CO OR NICOTINE.

None, nada, nil, zilch.............
edit on 19-3-2013 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

We don't need no stinkin' facts! Must be taking lessons from Bloomberg.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

All this talk....

Time to go outside and exhale my cig smoke into the "pristine
" air!

Mwaaaahhh!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You say all this is because you care about other people. Seems like you're more interested in bickering, sticking your nose in the air and arguing with other people. Funny how that goes. You hate because you care...?

On Topic:

I'm a lifelong non-smoker. I know people who smoke. I know people who smoke e-cigs. I wouldn't be able to tell you if they were smoking an e-cig or not, in my own house, unless I saw it in use.... Let alone have it put me into anaphylactic shock.
I also am cautious about hygiene. I don't want my wife or my children breathing in bacteria, infectious particles and airborne viruses your family may be hosts to. If you really cared about the concerns and well-being of others, you'd keep them quarantined like sick people deserve. If I come in contact with anyone disease-infested, I get light-headed.

If this is really your biggest concern in life, you should be ecstatic. If you really believe things can't get any worse, then you lack sufficient imagination.
edit on 19-3-2013 by BaitingThePublic because: Bad mobile spell-check is bad.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Smokers just need to stay outside, that's all I am saying....
edit on 3/19/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

Fair enough, smokers can stay outside, but as a vaper, I'll do it wherever the hell I want.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

If you read the studies you posted, there were trace particles found in a controlled enclosed environment. In open air they disperse quite quickly. Think throwing a green golfball into a football stadium full of orange basketballs. Go find it.

I am really sick of big brother and nanny state. Water vapor, soda's pizza, something offends somebody all the time. Get over it, quit crying to the government to keep taking rights away. I can stand right in e-cig vapor and not smell or feel a thing.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I like the little bit of B-carboline compound that is in cigarettes. It makes extended thinking possible. It isn't really the nicotine I desire, you can get that from foods. All plant based niacin is in the form of nicotinic acid, a simple hot pepper can give a person a better nicotine buzz. I tried the patches and they were way to strong, it was like chewing snuff.

nitrogen is a nervine, it helps keep us calm. It is better to get this from foods, many of the B vitamins have nitrogen attached. Foods containing nicotinic acid can replace the nicotine from cigarettes. I wish I could find a mild B-carboline in nature locally, I'm not interested in a Shaman buzz or getting high. Then I would not need cigarettes anymore. I think smoked fish chemistry is similar but not the crap they have in the supermarket, that is terrible compared to real smoked fish.

People are so naive, they think that the only thing in cigarettes is nicotine.
edit on 19-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This kinda thing will get more common as more people vape. There's a significant proportion of people who just can't stand to leave other people alone and will latch onto any old thing.

As an aside, the nicotine in vapour is less readily absorbed than that in smoke. Something to do with the droplet size or something, so even if there is a trace in exhaled smoke its highly unlikely that you'd get any nic buzz from breathing the air around a couple of vapers.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join