It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cigs second hand "smoke"? Safe or not for the non smoker?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Of course.... it was only a matter of time before busybodies and whiners grabbed a hold of this one.

OP-- because there is less to be absorbed by the lungs when smoking an e-cig, much more of the stuff that comes out of the "cigarette" is actually absorbed by the smoker's lungs, instead of released into the environment. As you even admitted in your post, most of what does come back out is propylene glycol.

With a real cigarette you get a lot more nicotine, tar, carbon monoxide, etc released back into the environment with the exhale. And that is on top of what's coming from the cigarette as it just sits there constantly smoldering, releasing lots of smoke directly into the air.

You get no "smoldering" with an e-cigarette, and since 99% of the nicotine is absorbed by the smoker, it is really a faint glycol mist that ends up in the air. When I use mine indoors, you literally can not see anything most of the time I exhale. No mist, nothing. Every few puffs maybe a little residue... Some brands of e-cigs / techniques are a little different, and will release more. But properly used, you shouldn't be seeing much of anything.

OP-- you do realize that a person can become light-headed just solely from standing up too fast, or from blood pressure, or from blood sugar, or from medications, or from a thousand reasons other than almost 0% nicotine and a little propylene glycol in the air, right?

But of course it's more fun to blame people who are trying to quit smoking, and further rob people of their freedoms. Gotta get with the times. Freedom is like, so 1776, man.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by timetothink

Well I must apologize I don't want my wife, my daughter, and myself breathing in YOUR crap chemicals you are putting into YOUR body!!

I don't want it, don't like it, shouldn't have to.....

Go smoke outside like smokers deserve.....

Or perhaps you could have made the choice to sit somewhere else.

That door swings both ways....

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam

Well I must apologize I don't want my wife, my daughter, and myself breathing in YOUR crap chemicals you are putting into YOUR body!!

Or perhaps you could have made the choice to sit somewhere else.

That door swings both ways....

But we all know that is not how a complainer operates. First off, the complainer must identify the things that bother them most in life. Secondly, the complainer must get as close as humanly possible to those things that bother them. Thirdly, the complainer must focus intently on the offending activities for as many hours as are available. Lastly, the complainer must find the nearest soapbox and begin shouting at the top of their lungs while giving off the appearance that they represent the majority AND reality.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Since cigarettes are a huge tax income for government, they will without a doubt deem ecigs hazardous to everyone's health. They will find that they kill brain cells, cause birth defects and cause people to go on murder spree's before they give up those taxes. I have researched them. Nicotine is addictive but not harmful. Any traces of harmful chemicals that they contain are in the air you breath when you walk into an eatery or even outside where (oh my) cars are running.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I like the little bit of B-carboline compound that is in cigarettes. It makes extended thinking possible. It isn't really the nicotine I desire, you can get that from foods. All plant based niacin is in the form of nicotinic acid, a simple hot pepper can give a person a better nicotine buzz. I tried the patches and they were way to strong, it was like chewing snuff.

nitrogen is a nervine, it helps keep us calm. It is better to get this from foods, many of the B vitamins have nitrogen attached. Foods containing nicotinic acid can replace the nicotine from cigarettes. I wish I could find a mild B-carboline in nature locally, I'm not interested in a Shaman buzz or getting high. Then I would not need cigarettes anymore. I think smoked fish chemistry is similar but not the crap they have in the supermarket, that is terrible compared to real smoked fish.

People are so naive, they think that the only thing in cigarettes is nicotine.
edit on 19-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Nicotinic acid (niacin) is not the same thing as, nor is it bio-equivalent to nicotine.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

As soon as it's heated and hits your lungs it is converted to nicotinic acid. Do some intensive digging and you will find that. The problem is that it causes the body not to take up nicotinic acid or Niacinamide from food because it sort of thinks it has enough. In the end you get deficient at the cellular level and then you have to smoke all the time. When quitting smoking, a person needs to drink OJ and maybe eat some spicy food for a while to build levels up. There are a lot of amino acids containing nitrogen, some of these and some vitamin reserves may need to be supplemented when quitting or a person puts on a lot of weight from trying to replenish deficiencies.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The vapor dissipates and contains next to nothing, and you literally would have to stick your head in someone direct space to worry about smoking an esmoke with them.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
So from the multiple informed responses in this thread we can safely say that the common fart has more pollutants in it than an e cig, everyone agree there?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
So from the multiple informed responses in this thread we can safely say that the common fart has more pollutants in it than an e cig, everyone agree there?

Agreed.
At least my farts do.
I have used the e-cigs.
I have farted.
I feel qualified to render the opinion that I know the difference.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I really can't believe I'm reading this BS. As an X smoker, I'm very much aware of the damaging effects they have. But people like you make me howl with laughter - now you're turning on the E Cig Smoker.

Hell where does it end with you lot. The air is filled with radiation, chem-trails and car fumes along with a million other toxins - not counting what the military are letting off and Industry in general and YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN E.CIG.

Your wife probably stood up to quick and her BP dropped - get real!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I understand your concern however, have there been any test on just regular air without smokers and e-cig users ? I can only imagine in a bigger city like NY or LA what they would find in the air that's way more harmful than smoke from an e-cig, I will not say from a natural cig but you get my drift. Think about China for a minute, with the recent pics that have come out I would say the last thing you need to worry about is an e-cig or a real cig.

Most places do not allow the use of an e-cig indoors nor of course real cigs so I would have to say the effects are nil over all and one good deep breath in the great outdoors contains more pollutants than we will ever know because like stuf in our food the gov believes it is safe to a certain amount despite studies to the contray,

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I am gonna call my lawyer. I watched 10 minutes of MSNBC and got second-hand stupidity.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Used to have a report carried out by a doctor on ecigs and the levels of toxins from the exhaled vapour, but cant find it. if I do will post it up.

He fitted an air sampling machine in two test rooms. One with 5 people with normal cigs and another room with 5 people on ecigs.

He also fitted a sample device to a lampost outside on the street. He sampled the air for one hour and results were along these lines.

Worst - Normal smoking room, full of toxins.
Road - Substantial toxins sampled.
Ecig Room - Nothing sampled.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

.(it's simple, top to bottom, left to right.....Group of words together forms a sentence).....

Hey David Spade, no need to be so condescending. It makes you come across like a teenager, and I'm sure that's not the impression you'd like to leave.

So your wife stood up and got light headed...THE HORROR!
edit on 19-3-2013 by slowisfast because: Sp

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

GOOD....GO THE EFF OUTSIDE, like you should be when you smoke....Not indoors in an enclosed area for others to breathe in your garbage

What "garbage" do you keep talking about?

Since you support the idea of people telling other people what do to, I don't want you to ever drive a car again. I don't want you to use soap, hair spray, perfume, clothes made of anything other than 100% natural fibers, and I don't want you to use laundry detergent either.

Exhaling vapor is not going to cause anyone to get light headed. That was probably from standing up to fast, it happens. Until you can conclusively prove exhaled vapor is more unsafe than other things that we allow in the air, then you have no leg to stand on.

The whole story about 10 old men vaping away on ecigs at the mall's food court seems like a VERY strange story anyway... I would call BS, but even if true it doesn't matter, they didn't cause anyone to get light headed. If anything they were purifying the dirty air that YOU brought into the mall with all your home products and clothes.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Uuummm, it's MY house, I pay for it.....if I wanted too smoke inside I would....but Inwould rather pollute your air because you are being so ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

This is what I keep saying and quoting from his own peer reviewed article.......nothing was detected in the air except glycerin.........NOTHING.........no nicotine, no CO......nada!!!!!

So his whole OP with his quoted studies proves him wrong, but he is still pushing it, saying something was found in the air.......where?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

The hypocrisy is HE didnt even read and understand his own quoted studies!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
E-Cig second hand vapor is miniscule compared the bad crap in the regular air we breath. I quit regular cigarettes years ago and didn't have any concerns whatsoever if some one lit up a cigarette close by but standing next to me I would move away not wanting the odor on me. I started ecigs back in 2009 and am still using them. I use them at my workplace but don't generally use them in public because to most folks, vapor is still smoke and are offended by it. Your wife has some other problem that is making her light headed.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Yeah..cause moving to another table is obviously too difficult

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join