It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm very scared of going to hell, but I don't believe in hell

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
Most of the time I don't believe in hell, its like 90% i dont believe in hell but 10 percent of me does. but when I think about hell i get very very scared because i think what if hell is real and when i die ill go there and suffer forever. I would call myself an agnostic/atheist. Its like i have this phobia of dying but most importantly l what can happen after death and especially of the reality of hell. I cant rule out the possibility of hell and so that why im really scared. i dont know why im scared. my mind says hell is not real but it my subconcsious says it might be real. i dont want to die and be wrong because itll be too late then. any help wuld be appreciated.

I posted this under philo/meta because I think people are smarter here than in religion section no offense of course. Please dont delete this mods if anything move it to the religion section. Thanks
edit on 7-2-2013 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2013 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

Dissect this statement and tell me what you got from it!

"I'm very scared of the boogieman, but I don't believe in the boogieman!"

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Blissful clouds vs fiery pits.
Just because the concept of a typical heaven and hell is difficult to grasp, doesn't mean we should discount it all entirely.
Since we have a soul that is probably made of some type of energy, and since polarity exists in energy, it makes perfect sence to try and avoid detrimental energy any way we can.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

OP's post revolved around one religion in particular. You're making a rather unfair accusation considering the topic.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

OP's post revolved around one religion in particular. You're making a rather unfair accusation considering the topic.

It didnt actually.

The concept of the thought-form of hell does not only exist in the christian faith.

A99

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

If you read the entirety of the first page, it becomes pretty clear.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

It didnt actually.

The concept of the thought-form of hell does not only exist in the christian faith.

A99

Adjuct to this...it is a worthy discussion which many cosmologies describe in different ways...a common ground can be found...but it seems there is a disease of myopia in fundies generally (I believe I'm not being unkind with this self-evident statement).

A99

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

If you read the entirety of the first page, it becomes pretty clear.

I thought you said the OP!? That is what is meant to be discussed...no? Or can we make the assumption that whatever follows becomes the OP? That, of course, would be a form of derailing...do you see what I'm getting at?
The discussions, in effect, become derailed by myopic christians 😉

The subject heading is Philosophy/Metaphysics...not christianity...

A99
edit on 8-2-2013 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Okay, which hell would you like to discuss with the OP? Obviously, there's a large selection, so toss a couple out there. Let's see what other hells we can drag up and scare the atheist with.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Okay, which hell would you like to discuss with the OP? Obviously, there's a large selection, so toss a couple out there. Let's see what other hells we can drag up and scare the atheist with.

My post quite a way back described the mechanism by which the concept of 'hell' occurs...but of course, then the usual suspects entered and jammed the discussion with videos and slabs of text from one holy book...my point?
A case of casting pearls...

A99

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Oh, I read that one. It was very interesting, but still just a theory like the rest of what we have on here. So throw us another bone here, if you're so unsatisfied with the discussion.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Oh, I read that one. It was very interesting, but still just a theory like the rest of what we have on here. So throw us another bone here, if you're so unsatisfied with the discussion.

Like I said...pearls before swine...
The mechanism is observable in all our lives...forms the bulk of discussion boards everywhere...is described by all the prophets, cosmologies (specifically in relation to these locales called hell)...dovetails into the gift of FREE WILL - the way this works, why it happens the way it does, questions that arise because of its misunderstanding (including yours!)...

A99

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Then what was the point of complaining?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Then what was the point of complaining?

Wasn't a complaint, but an observation I make frequently (if not to get the discussion back on track)...some people here have some very useful information to impart...this is the beauty of international forums...

A99

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Well, it looks like the thread has lost momentum, so I'll go attend to having a life and come back tomorrow or something. Maybe then we'll have some of those contributions you seem to like.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Well, it looks like the thread has lost momentum, so I'll go attend to having a life and come back tomorrow or something. Maybe then we'll have some of those contributions you seem to like.

That usually happens when two people start arguing over something and not responding to others!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Not really a matter of whether I like them or not...the exclusionist argument is myopic...I have not said hell does not 'exist'...I have not said god does not 'exist'...
...the relevant discussion (in terms of the OP) revolved around the mechanism of fear...cosmologies all describe the mechanisms by which this two-edged FREE WILL creates the results we see (either in waking life, dreams or NDE's)...

This was the 'meat' of the OP...and if you (at least) make sensible comparisons between cosmologies...what I have said makes sense, and is observable (since this forms the bulk of all questions in the Philosophy/Metaphysics section)...and these questions would not be asked if that comparative study had been made...ergo, my 'theory'...which pretty much explains any questions related to the OP.
Man has a tendency to complicate very simple principles (because the prevailing 'instant gratification' gene kicks in early)...myopia masks everything around the point of focus (functional FREE WILL at work)...

A99

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
To not believe in God, means you have to admit that He IS, therefore to Not be-and you cannot---therefore most self-professed atheists are not really atheists.. It’s evident that a higher power than mere mortals designed the “time for everything” way of life, the seasons, the food chain, the Universe in all its Glory, that babies are not made in a test tube, well all the natural wonders all around us.

I had an Out Of Body experience from a car crash back in 1969. It was 2:00 in the morning, dark, no stars, the trees were black the sky was gray, then I suddenly became a twirly ball of flashing lights and knew I was dying--flew upward an outward to the South West into a sky of all pastels and “without turning around” I saw other cars stop, one with a strobe light, one guy with a blanket for me. All was peaceful and I thought of my double Indemnity Life Insurance that would help get my daughter (5 years old) started elsewhere. Nary a concern.

Then I backed up and re-entered my body and felt the damp grass on my face and heard the people talking. I have no fear of death and no fear of Hell.

Hell is away underground--- perhaps to put on a conspiratorial spin--- where the elite are digging bunkers for the end of time. I wouldn’t want to be there.

Think about earth from a standard of, can we dig our way to China, or do we have to pass through Hell? No! silly!

We are energy. Our souls are with this carcass until it gives out, then it just the good part, the soul that leaves this earth. I compared it to a pea pod, when my grandson asked. The soul is like the peas inside, the good part, and the body is the pod, of no more use, so that is the part that is buried. (his other grandma had died. And he was about 3 years old.)

Believe, if you will that your energy, when you die, is released into the world to be taken on, in whole or in part by other people, already born or not yet born. Everything is energy! All those dead bodies have left their energy behind for us to use should we need it, like when I was in a second car crash and now worse off than ever, but I never blame God, or anyone. I take what happens to me as a test of my strength and ability to overcome set- backs in life.

Even that 5 year old little girl is now grown, 48 years old, a lesbian and won’t have a relationship with me, so I accept her wishes and have learned to live without a family of her and her 3 children from a marriage (to a man) which failed as it wasn’t “her’.

Just another 'glitch' in the Universe!

Just rambling
CS70

edit on 8-2-2013 by canadiansenior70 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2013 by canadiansenior70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nf1del

That usually happens when two people start arguing over something and not responding to others!

...or some people are in different time zones!?

A99

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

I am a clinical hypnotherapist and there maybe more to this than you think? We can explore if youd like! Let me know thanks! My name is Anthony Rhoades

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by honested3
reply to post by Lazarus Short

it makes sense but it is very flawed. for starters i like your name there Lazarus, I suggest you read in the old testament of the story about the rich man named Lazarus, not the new testament one, and you will see hell does exist. in regards to your logical algorithm it does make sense, but you left out the factor of free will. No a perfect God cannot create imperfect things 'unless' the perfect God allowed free will and the influence of imperfect things. This is another topic of conversation but you see my point.

in regards to hell, yes it is real, but getting there is not a corporate ordeal. the Bible says we are saved by faith and faith alone, and that Jesus is the only way to God, so that is faith in Jesus which gets us to heaven. the Bible also says the works of God testify of Him so that no man is without excuse, let me expand on this; this does not mean God will send those to hell who do not know better, the road to hell is intentional, it is decided, the mentioned verse applies to those who truly do not know any better, but have in their hearts submitted to a higher power and have faith in that higher power and succumb to the inner "good morals" that we all have built into us, morals which go without saying. that is not to say all roads lead to heaven, but is to say those who truly dont know any better, but have faith are saved. but those who do know better (and that would include many in the modern world) are cast guilt and a questionable heart, as mentioned in earlier posts, this guilt is the Lord knocking on your heart. my point being, God judges the heart of a person and the circumstances in said persons life. in reference to the bible you will find circumstances where people do not get into heaven, but they later find they intentionally denied God and didnt even know it, because they choose to ignore the guilt. guilt is God knocking on your heart dont ignore it.

lastly, you try and point out the flaws in a belief in the afterlife, but you only point out the flaws in your own logic. you think your intellect and knowledge gives you insight nobody else can see, but in this case it does not disprove the truth, only strengthens it. hell is real, and God sent His Son Jesus to save you from it, you only miss His love because our society has cast salvation in a bad light. all you have to do is accept Jesus in your hearts and have faith in Him, He will do the rest. dont worry about what the churches are doing, dont worry about what the scientists tell you, listen to the knocking on the door of your heart. Jesus loves you.

How can my statements be flawed, yet make sense?

No, the story of the rich man and Lazarus is in the NT, not the OT. There are not two accounts, unless you know some Biblical secret.

What does Free Will have to do with Hell or your destiny in general? Jesus said that if He were lifted up, He would draw ALL men to Himself. No mention of Will, free or otherwise. In fact, if Jesus draws all men to himself, how are any going to end up in "Hell"? It is a question you cannot or will not answer.

As far as "...you think your intellect and knowledge gives you insight nobody else can see..." let me tell you that I was raised in an eternal torment denomination, was formerly a member of an eternal destruction denomination, spent some years as an atheist, and was led of the Holy Spirit to Universal Reconciliation. If you think I alone can see that Hell is a 404/Not Found, then have you considered that you may have a blind spot? Did you go down any of the "rabbit holes" I pointed out? Did you spend time in your Concordance like a good Berean, to see if these things were true? Did you think through the logical conclusions of knowing that most of Christianity shares a belief in Hell with Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Nordic paganism, Greek and Latin mythology, and on, and on? The Jews didn't believe in Hell, the earliest Christians didn't believe in Hell, so why should you? I have shown you the exit sign to freedom from this horrible belief which appeals to the carnal man, but not to the Godly man, but only the Holy Spirit can extend a hand to help you through. Be assured that you are saved, being saved, and going to be saved, by Jesus "The savior of ALL men, especially those who believe." All the best to you, my brother in Christ.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join