It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm very scared of going to hell, but I don't believe in hell

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Most of the time I don't believe in hell, its like 90% i dont believe in hell but 10 percent of me does. but when I think about hell i get very very scared because i think what if hell is real and when i die ill go there and suffer forever. I would call myself an agnostic/atheist. Its like i have this phobia of dying but most importantly l what can happen after death and especially of the reality of hell. I cant rule out the possibility of hell and so that why im really scared. i dont know why im scared. my mind says hell is not real but it my subconcsious says it might be real. i dont want to die and be wrong because itll be too late then. any help wuld be appreciated.

I posted this under philo/meta because I think people are smarter here than in religion section no offense of course. Please dont delete this mods if anything move it to the religion section. Thanks
edit on 7-2-2013 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

Sounds to me like your level of fear is so high that I would question the 90% scepticism 10% belief ratio. You sound more like a 50/50 person to me.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I would start Here.. and you better believe your life depends on it.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

you will probably go where you choose to go, because death is a personal experience, like life.
i am afraid to die, and i am pretty sure that something nasty will make a meal of my astral being..
its your choice, man.

edit on 7-2-2013 by solve because: forget the man

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

The fact that you don't want to be in hell to me means that you believe in something, even though you have not yet defined what that is. I suggest searching for God, anyone who searches for him earnestly will find him. When you realize that you create your own hell and can choose to overcome that hell than you can stop being afraid of it. This is not something mystical, it is the process of overcoming one's sin so you can be more in line with love. If this is an option I will post more if you think you are open.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
In the unlikely chance there is a hell, don't worry yourself. If there is a hell, that is where all the fun people will be.

link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

Ive searched for God he has not responded so right now Im an atheist.

link   

Just realize that little 10% of you that is FEAR.. IS HELL. Its the only tool the so called 'Devil' has.. fear. The 90% of you is heavenly. Embrace the part of you that is no longer fearful and hell will no longer be a concern. its the mind games and religious propaganda engraved in our subconscious that produces the fear of hell. Let go of the fear and then, even if it exists, hell wont be an option for you.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You're what people would call "a foxhole atheist."

There's nothing wrong with that; it's just more proof that the "evil" Christianity invented has wormed its way into another person's subconcious. My advice? Doesn't matter if it's real or not. If you live right, treat others how you would like to be treated (unless you're a sadomasochist), you should be fine.

edit on 7-2-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
In the unlikely chance there is a hell, don't worry yourself. If there is a hell, that is where all the fun people will be.

Your last statement is wrong dude. If there is a hell its the worst thing ever why do people keep saying things like oh itll be fun and whatnot no it wont. I am focusing here on hell as described in Chris/Catho/Islam religions.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
Most of the time I don't believe in hell, its like 90% i dont believe in hell but 10 percent of me does. but when I think about hell i get very very scared because i think what if hell is real and when i die ill go there and suffer forever. I would call myself an agnostic/atheist. Its like i have this phobia of dying but most importantly l what can happen after death and especially of the reality of hell. I cant rule out the possibility of hell and so that why im really scared. i dont know why im scared. my mind says hell is not real but it my subconcsious says it might be real. i dont want to die and be wrong because itll be too late then. any help wuld be appreciated.

I posted this under philo/meta because I think people are smarter here than in religion section no offense of course

Well, Hell, as the concept that is perpetuated by the Church, does not exist. The concept of mankind burning forever in hellfire and brimstone is false and based on fear-based assumption. Hell, as in the Lake of Fire, does exist but it's not for mankind. "Bad" people go to a Sheol-like state where you sit in darkness and think of the actions during your life course until you face judgement. This is alluded to in the Book of Enoch.

You want to know God better? My advice is don't do it out of fear, but hey everyone comes to God their own way.

And what Gark says is good... Simply put, love is basically all that is needed in this life.
edit on 7-2-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
You're what people would call "a foxhole atheist."

There's nothing wrong with that; it's just more proof that the "evil" Christianity invented has wormed its way into another person's subconcious. My advice? Doesn't matter if it's real or not. If you live right, treat others how you would like to be treated (unless you're a sadomasochist), you should be fine.

edit on 7-2-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

i dont live right. i want to do whatever i wana do wherever i wana do it however i wana do it. im a bit selfish. i do alot of what is considered "sins" now im not no rapist murderer etc. but im not a saint either. it does matter if its real or not because if it is im probably going there

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
You wouldn't be scared of going someplace you don't believe in. You do understand how absurd the notion of a magical, evil place that an all caring, all loving God sends you to for being naughty/not loving him hard enough sounds, right?

I remember going to Sunday school, the last time I ever went, actually, in the basement of the local pentecostal church. On this particular Sunday, the kindly church lady with terrible halitosis taught us all about hell and the terrible things that await once our ever-loving God sent us there. I was shocked, I came home, and I remember crying something fierce.

My parents were concerned to say the least. Their child came home from church one day, traumatized. Obviously thinking the worst, they pressed me for information on what happened. So I explained to them what we 6 year olds learned about that day, and was informed that I wasn't going back, nor would our family attend services.

The point is, the notion of hell is just a ploy to get the more childish-minded among the flock to behave themselves and pay their tithes and such. Something that I think the Church fathers hadn't reckoned on was mankind's ability to be fundamentally good human beings even without the spectre of eternal hellfire hanging over us.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Don't waste your time worrying, my friend. Life is too short.

~Live a good life and enjoy it. Be thankful for every day and appreciate the beauty and mystery of it all.
~Find balance in everything. It takes mercy AND discipline, rationality AND intuition. Enjoy the dance.
~When you make mistakes, seek forgiveness.....including forgiving yourself.
~Pray whether you believe or not. It is a spoken affirmation of all of the above.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shneal

Just realize that little 10% of you that is FEAR.. IS HELL. Its the only tool the so called 'Devil' has.. fear. The 90% of you is heavenly. Embrace the part of you that is no longer fearful and hell will no longer be a concern. its the mind games and religious propaganda engraved in our subconscious that produces the fear of hell. Let go of the fear and then, even if it exists, hell wont be an option for you.

How can I remove something so engraved in my subconscious? I've tried to change my thinking, but its not of use. Theres like these voices, what if your wrong, dont do it or youll go to hell, etc.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Why be afraid? live your life be a decent person and either way you will be fine.
Don't let anyone scare you into not being who you are, they have tried that for years and years but more people are waking up and telling them no we will not let you scare us into believing your lies.
Heck even the catholic church changed their minds on Hell, no more fire and brimstone etc.
Ignore the people who say "You have to believe in (insert holy dude here) or you will goto hell" because they are the scared ones, scared of living and thinking for themselves.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

No, you're not. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what atheism is if you live in mortal fear of being sent to hell and yet brand yourself an atheist. I suppose you can self-identify with whatever label you want, but simply calling yourself an atheist and being an atheist are clearly two different things.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofswords
Don't waste your time worrying, my friend. Life is too short.

~Live a good life and enjoy it. Be thankful for every day and appreciate the beauty and mystery of it all.
~Find balance in everything. It takes mercy AND discipline, rationality AND intuition. Enjoy the dance.
~When you make mistakes, seek forgiveness.....including forgiving yourself.
~Pray whether you believe or not. It is a spoken affirmation of all of the above.

Sometimes I do think about that life is too short and its probably the only life will have and so all we can do is enjoy life. Everyone is just living their life and im here worrying about the afterlife and what ifs. I wish I could be free and happy like you guys

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

OP,

Don't feel to distressed by this. It is actually natural to fear something that you don't even truly believe in. The belief in a "final judgement" is heavily engrained in the human psyche and in nearly every culture. It is actually natural to have this fear. I wouldn't worry about it much. What is the use, really? It is all just subjective nonsense we humans press upon our surroundings to make "sense" of world. I mean, just think about the very concept of Hell. When you really critically think about it. Does it rally make practical or even moral sense to you that such a place exist? Doesn't it just kind of sound like a fairy tale or a fantasy story made to keep kids and adults "in order" so that society can function. I think that is what it does for us, anyway. Keeps society in order, by creating a fictional "meme" that suggests judgement for our actions while we are alive, so that we don't do anything crazy or hurtful to others in the present. It is nonsensical, but usefulso it remains a permanent fixture and concept in our culture.

-TheGhoster
edit on 7-2-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

No, you're not. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what atheism is if you live in mortal fear of being sent to hell and yet brand yourself an atheist. I suppose you can self-identify with whatever label you want, but simply calling yourself an atheist and being an atheist are clearly two different things.

I want to see and feel hell in order for me to know or at least be 99% sure hell is real and I'll change my life and try to be saintlike. I hope if there is a God he understands where I'm coming from.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join