It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Let's do it.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
My second post in the Santa Claus thread is up!

Skyfloating, or any other moderator (apart from Heff, hands off, lol) if the "Are you naughty or nice" picture is inappropriate, can you please edit the post and remove it? I think it is relevant, and even as a well known prude, I personally don't find it offensive, but I'd not want to run afoul of T&C.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
@adjensen...

No, the images are OK. I laughed out loud about this:

Santa Claus, an omnipotent being who sees you when you're sleeping, knows when you're awake. In spite of the obvious privacy concerns, few seem to be phased by a super spy who preceded ECHELON by a hundred years.

edit on 30-11-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Now I know that I lost my first debate to Seabag, but my fellow members must be scared of my killer debate skills and overall awesomeness because I have not had anyone step-up to take me on!

So here is a few topics that interest me, and I'm open to other ideas, if anyone decides to man-up.

God does not exist- I'd like the pro.

The issue of Same-Sex Marriage Equality should be a Federal Legislation-either side works for me.

Congressional lobbying should be prohibited-I'll take the pro.

Physics trumps Philosophy-either side

The comedy channel is more powerful in the sphere of politics than the news media-i'd take the pro, but would have to revise it to say The comedy channel is more truthfull in the sphere of politics than the news media

Is atheism a religion? Yay or nay? I'd take the nay!

So there is my short list. I have to debate around my work schedule, but I am more than able to battle one willing victim! Bring it on!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Now I know that I lost my first debate to Seabag, but my fellow members must be scared of my killer debate skills and overall awesomeness because I have not had anyone step-up to take me on!

OK, I'll bite while I wait on Heff.

Is atheism a religion? Yay or nay? I'd take the nay!

Let's do it.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Very well, let's enter the squared-circle and duke it out!

Good luck to you. I know I will need it.

All we need is the approval of a Mod.......Hey Mods, can we get a thumbs up here?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I have an idea.

It stemmed from the fact that Skyfloating keeps a running list of debate candidates. About 16, currently.

Then, SonoftheSun posted a list of topics. An expansive list.

Hmmm.

The idea? Randomly picked debates.

Hmmm.

It'd require members volunteering to be on the "random list". Once you are on the random list, a debate topic and partner would be randomly chosen. Your position on the stance would be determined for you.

Example:
Challenge Match: RisingAgainst vs seabag: NASA is a disinformation agency.
(random mix up)

In this example, RA would be supporting the premise, and seabag proving otherwise.

Of course, it's just an idea.

However, I see a bunch of people willing to debate, and a bunch of debate topics, but no easy system to match the two.

A bit of regression, if you'll allow, please.

The point of a debate is to prove your position. That's the overlay, and very easy if you stay inside your comfort zone. It's common sense to debate a topic you are familiar and comfortable with. Have you ever stepped outside the box, and looked at the topic from the outside?

The point of the debate isn't so much taking your rock solid view and levying it against your opponent, as it is to flesh out both sides of the debate in a rational fashion. I've taken to the position outside my own beliefs a few times, and it's refreshing to actually research something outside your own comfort zone.

The formal debate is a position. It needs not be your own, save you accept the rigidity of your own thoughts. A real challenge is taking a position you must research, often contrary to your own worldview, but revealing nonetheless. To make an alternate view stick in a discussion is the purpose of debate.

To wield both sides of the sword, with proficiency, is the goal of this forum. Debate from both sides of the issue is what every member should be capable of, not just their own view.

Honing critical thinking skills is an exercise in flexibility. If everyone only debates topics they are proficient in, where is the gain?

With all that fluff out of the way, I'd like to see debate members agree to the "random list." If you'd like to debate, but don't have a topic, nor an opponent, sign up.

Of course, this is pending Mod approval.

It's just an idea.

Feasible, or ????

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Great idea Druid!

I like the idea that we would be forced to expand our "comfort zone" as you stated and would have to rely on the research and writing to win the debate.

If I may, I'd like to expand on your idea. Why not do team debates?

For example: Each debate consists of three posts. Two teams of three debaters would tackle a topic, one post each.

Or maybe would could have a tournament with all the people we have on the list.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Very interesting idea...

I have struggled, in the past, with arguing a point of view that I don't agree with, and I think that my points suffered as a result, but that's probably due to my Aspergers black/white perspective, which I'll be the first to admit applies some blinders.

I'd agree to throwing my hat in that ring, provisionally, though I'd have to decline any debate that required me to take a negative view of Christianity, for personal reasons.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

If I may, I'd like to expand on your idea. Why not do team debates?

For example: Each debate consists of three posts. Two teams of three debaters would tackle a topic, one post each.

Another excellent idea -- I suggested it to Druid42 in a U2U earlier this week, in fact.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I think team debates may bring those that may be a little apprehensive into the debate forums. The debate team could coordinate with one another and help each other. So the members that may be a bit "shy" about debating will have a support system in place they may not otherwise have when debating mano y mano.

That may not be very clear, but I hope you get the idea.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Or perhaps a Tournament...

I've sent a few ideas to Skyfloating but haven't had a response yet. Perhaps it is being discussed or the moment isn't appropriate...yet.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Okay, new debate proposal.

Odd as it might seem, Kevin Smith is one of my favourite directors, and I'm watching Chasing Amy right now, which reminded me of an awesome argument.

In Return of the Jedi, were the independent contractors who were hired to rebuild the Death Star culpable in their own deaths? Or was Lando Calrissian a cold blooded murderer?

I would prefer to defend Randall's claim that the independent contractors were innocent vicitms, but could go either way.

Please watch the video if you haven't seen Clerks:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

My closing in the Santa debate is now signed, sealed, and delivered! Lookout Grinch... I've been a good boy this year and am out to sleigh you!

Whaa whaaa waa waa

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

All we need is the approval of a Mod.......Hey Mods, can we get a thumbs up here?

Intrepid is a Mod so within his consensus to debate is the implicit approval of the debate.

But if thats not enough, it is hereby approved.

sheepslayer...have the topic be "Atheism is not a Religion" so that you can do the opening in the yay position, if you will.
edit on 1-12-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Whatever you agree with your opponent. You could say to them "lets have a random topic assigned" then we`ll assign you a random topic.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun

I've sent a few ideas to Skyfloating but haven't had a response yet. Perhaps it is being discussed or the moment isn't appropriate...yet.

Team Debates and Tournaments are potential topics for 2013. You'd be surprised about how quickly the Forum dies out if it is not attended to regularly and the Debates kept fairly short. The reason its running well at the moment is also because the debates are shorter and there is less complexity involved. However, we will do a Tournament in 2013 when all the Forum-Mods have the time to organize that.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by SonoftheSun

Team Debates and Tournaments are potential topics for 2013. You'd be surprised about how quickly the Forum dies out if it is not attended to regularly and the Debates kept fairly short. The reason its running well at the moment is also because the debates are shorter and there is less complexity involved. However, we will do a Tournament in 2013 when all the Forum-Mods have the time to organize that.

Count me in on any debate mate.

Just saw your list and I'm missing

edit on 1-12-2012 by Sublimecraft because: can't spell - beer!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Fighters apparently available for Debate:

intrepid
RisingAgainst
RationalDespair
sheepslayer247
mrlizard
Rubicant13
tothetenthpower
beezer
Hefficide
littlewolf1
Skyfloating
PatrickGarrow
seabag
SpikeSpiegele
pinkie
Subllimecraft
queenannie

(Feel free to drop them a message or propose in this thread)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Team Debates and Tournaments are potential topics for 2013.

Very cool. Thanks for your perspective. My enthusiam for this new forum uprising is lacking a fundamental asset, experience from the past. I really appreciate that you share yours. Looking forward to 2013.

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join