It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

In Return of the Jedi, were the independent contractors who were hired to rebuild the Death Star culpable in their own deaths? Or was Lando Calrissian a cold blooded murderer?

I would prefer to defend Randall's claim that the independent contractors were innocent vicitms, but could go either way.

I would gladly state that they were not innocent victims but not in a full out debate as three posts seems like a long shot to make a point on that one. A persuation match, perhaps? One pro, one con, one post each, the best argument takes it all.

Not sure a Star Wars topic would be approved though ( a Star Wars vs Star Trek debate had been denied ) even if a certain morality issue is in this topic's play.

But if it is, I'm in.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Kevin Smith is one of my favorite things in life - even if he has lost his way since filming Zack and Miri, and the poor influences of Seth Rogan. ( The irony of a guy who made his career filming movies about slackers being undone by a slacker.... )

Oh... and...

37????????????

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Fighters apparently available for Debate:

intrepid
RisingAgainst
RationalDespair
sheepslayer247
mrlizard
Rubicant13
tothetenthpower
beezer
Hefficide
littlewolf1
Skyfloating
PatrickGarrow
seabag
SpikeSpiegele
pinkie
Subllimecraft
queenannie

(Feel free to drop them a message or propose in this thread)

I also am missing from the list.

So the "Random Debate" idea seems to be a floatable idea, aye? I'm curious to tackle one, with a topic that I don't have a vested interest/preference in.

I carefully eliminated the words "tournament" from my discussion, as that is a formally decided activity, but I see the randomization factor to perhaps be beneficial to developing better research skills. Heck, it'd just be interesting.

ATM though, I am awaiting Pinke's opening, and honestly, have real life activities that will consume my attention for the rest of the day. Tomorrow will be a good time to start.

Can I get a "random debate" set up to begin tomorrow?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'm pretty close to finishing a thread so I'm still looking for someone, as well as a topic, to debate. I imagine I'll be ready to go sometime next week.

Anyone interested?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Okay, you're on, if we can get approval.

Proposal, one round Persuasion Match: Death Star contractors: Innocent victims or duplicitous dopes?

I'm "Innocent Victims", SonoftheSun is going for "Duplicitous Dopes". Once approved, I'll post the thread with the rules, then one round, with posts going to the moderator who approved as a U2U within 24 hours, and then posted to the thread when 24 hours is up (or the moderator tells us that both posts are in.)
edit on 1-12-2012 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

All we need is the approval of a Mod.......Hey Mods, can we get a thumbs up here?

Intrepid is a Mod so within his consensus to debate is the implicit approval of the debate.

But if thats not enough, it is hereby approved.

sheepslayer...have the topic be "Atheism is not a Religion" so that you can do the opening in the yay position, if you will.
edit on 1-12-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

Thanks and I will make the opening statement.....hopefully today.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Sounds like fun !!

It would be a nice interlude while I wait for Patrick Garrow's closing in our current debate. He's been on that one for a while and I'm kinda anxious...I might lose whatever teeth I have left after Skyfloating's debate...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

First post is up on the "Atheism is not a Religion" debate. Good luck intrepid!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Back at ya Bro. As Mills Lane has said, "Let's get it on!"

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Be anxious no more, apologize for the slight delay...

Third post of humanity's survival is up

These debates are ripping along, the pace lately is impressive.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Judgment for the Voynich Debate is in. And the winner is...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I wish to thank Druid for his research and his wisdom.

Thank-you to the Judges for your time and consideration of the contents of the debate. Your comments have been taken onboard by yours truly.

Thank-you to the debate forum participants and greater ATS community for your support and encouragement.

A true mystery is the "Voynich manuscript"........I am intrigued to say the least.
edit on 2-12-2012 by Sublimecraft because: of beer, Sunday and bloody good weather!

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Debate approved.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17

Be anxious no more, apologize for the slight delay...

Third post of humanity's survival is up

These debates are ripping along, the pace lately is impressive.

As both closing statements are up and this match comes to an end, I raise my glass (well, coffee in this instance) to you Patrick !
This challenge was exciting at times, frightening at times but overall extremely enjoyable !!

Point of No Return

Now it's all in the hands of the judges.

~Son.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
I wish to thank Druid for his research and his wisdom.

Thank-you to the Judges for your time and consideration of the contents of the debate. Your comments have been taken onboard by yours truly.

Thank-you to the debate forum participants and greater ATS community for your support and encouragement.

A true mystery is the "Voynich manuscript"........I am intrigued to say the least.
edit on 2-12-2012 by Sublimecraft because: of beer, Sunday and bloody good weather!

Congratulations on the win, you deserved to win that one! Without having a black or white answer, it all came down to presentation.

Great job. Keep up the good work. I would love to engage in another debate with you at any time, as you've proven to be a worthy opponent!

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Rising Against and I have been trying to hash out a debate topic, and have decided we'd like a "random topic" to go after.

So, can Sky, Heff, or tenth toss one out for us to chew on? We'll take the FIRST topic proposed here.

Thanks.

ETA: Needed to quickly add that this is RA I'm debating. Please, for my benefit, do not add anything JFK as the subject, lest you want to spell out my impending doom.

edit on 12/2/12 by Druid42 because: Added ETA.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Something preferably JFK related guys.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Added the ETA above, Har-Har.

(You beat me to it!)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
@Druid/RisingAgsinst: So you really want someone else to choose the topic. In that case your topic is:

"Hollywood-Movies have had an overall negative influence" Druid pro, Rising Con.

or

"Life in Siberia is better than life in Mongolia" Druid pro, Rising Con.

You`ll have to choose one of those.

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join