It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true story behind the bible

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Eh...I kind of agree with what you're doing there. Can I put an extra twist on it, though?

The story of Jesus was not a metaphorical account of such an event, it was TAKEN from an account of that event. They wrote the story of Jesus by looking at the stuff you you mentioned, and rewriting it...kind of like avoid copyright, or in this case, scandal.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by adjensen

The 88 were originally 44, deities embodying concepts that, by idolizing them, would unlock different combinations of chromosomes in DNA, thereby unleashing immortality, enlightenment, ESP, and other stuff.

Those gods were actually metaphoric instructions on how to become "superhuman".

Forty four, as defined by whom? Because the most nearest count to that is Ptolemy, who noted 48, in the Second Century BC.

How about a source on the rest of it? 'Cause that seems like a pretty far reach, though not implausible. But a source would answer that.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I agree with you there. But there needs to be a basic understanding of the world's religions that were based in solar, lunar and stellar worship, first, to get to that point. The point being, that the Bible is a forgery filled with stolen myths.

You'd better get on the phone to the IAU, then. With the 88 that they've "discovered" (how does one "discover" an anthropomorphic belief?), they've apparently got a lot of dropping to do
The Constellations | IAU

Yes there are many constellations, but they aren't "discovered." They are pictures in the stars that represent myths of various cultures, and they aren't part of the Zodiac.

Pegasus, Ursa Major and Minor, Orion the Hunter and Draco, which is brought to life in John's book, Revelation, as the Dragon, are just a few examples.

Jason and the Argonauts, also comes to mind as a story based on star gazing. They traveled here on a ship called the Argo, which had 50 oars, which happens to be the number of years it takes their home system to orbit their home star, Sirius.

My point is that star gazing and its myhtology has been around, it has been the root of religions all around the world for eons.

edit on 20-7-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ScatterBrain

Yes, the story of Lucifer being cast into hell for becoming too greedy is a metaphor for humans being cast into hell on Earth by becoming greedy.

Lucifer was gods greatest angel, humans are gods greatest creation. Lucifer became greedy, humans became greedy. Lucifer was cast into hell, humans were cast into hell by turning heaven on Earth into hell on Earth.

ETA: This is just my opinion on the subject just in case anybody accuses me of claiming to 'know' this is correct.
edit on 20-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

When did I ever act as though I knew everything about all the gods and goddesses? Point it out please, because I don't recall mentioning anything outside of the bible within this thread.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
My point is that star gazing and its myhtology has been around, it has been the root of religions all around the world for eons.

And I'm not disputing that -- in fact, I quite agree. There have been thousands of "religions" over the millennia, and most of them likely revolved around the mystical stuff in the sky.

What I am disputing is your claim that the Hebrew and Christian Bible are 'littered" with astrological symbology, indicating an underlying basis that is nature worship, not the clear and obvious story of a peoples' relationship with their God.

That's the same problem that the OP, D.M. Murdoch, Zeitgeist and most Christ mythologists share -- they don't want to believe the clear and obvious stuff, so they selectively read, make illogical and clearly invalid interpretations, and intentionally ignore the historical evidence that proves them not merely wrong, but intellectually dishonest.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Just as you believing that it isn't astrological is just a conjecture as well.

Get THAT through YOUR head.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

So religions throughout time have been littered with astrological references but it's impossible for the bible to be the same? Why is that? Explain your reasons for believing that.

So your opinion on what the bible really means is right and our opinions are wrong?

They're called 'opinions' for a reason because they are all just conjecture, including your opinion. What don't you understand about that concept? Are you really that thick-headed to not realize this?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Did you miss the part where half of their myths and beliefs are taken from pagan faiths?

Yeah, I think you did. Take a seat and listen to teacher for once, your know-it-all-ness is clearly unproductive.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Did you miss the part where half of their myths and beliefs are taken from pagan faiths?

Which part? What are you talking about, Zeitgeist? Geez, even atheists and Christ mythologists debunk that thing.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

edit on 20-7-2012 by adjensen because: double post, sorry

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I'm talking about how at least 5 beings in recorded history share the same general life as Jesus. In fact, there have reportedly been multiple Jesus' in history, and supposedly not one was from Nazareth. There's even speculation as to whether Nazareth existed at the time!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

But that's all just 'conjecture' and does not constitute 'proof'.

Show evidence that proves they all had the same general life stories just so he can call it 'conjecture' and ask for the evidence again only to call it conjecture again ad nauseum.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I'm talking about how at least 5 beings in recorded history share the same general life as Jesus. In fact, there have reportedly been multiple Jesus' in history, and supposedly not one was from Nazareth. There's even speculation as to whether Nazareth existed at the time!

Any of 'em appear on this list, by chance?

The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Some. Why?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Some. Why?

Because that's the ultimate source of Zeitgeist's mythological claims (by way of D.M. Murdoch) and Graves has been thoroughly demonstrated to be at best, woefully incompetent. Good old Richard Carrier has a discourse on Graves that is typical.

I did, however, note this tidbit on Carrier's critique that I find amusing:

Graves' work lacks all humility, which is unconscionable given the great uncertainties that surround the sketchy material he had to work with

I guess he wrote that little nugget before he had his recent arrogance transfusion, eh?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

So you're just going to ignore the information and just chalk it up as 'another crazy zeitgeist fantasy'? Please learn to think critically because you have failed to do it since you stepped foot into this thread.

Like I said earlier, you ignoring the information is equivalent to a child sticking his fingers in his ears.

'LALALALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!'

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

If our perspective of God is true, many will have to admit to being under the spell of illusion. Very threatening indeed.

Adjenson isn't ready to accept things outside his/her comfort zone. It's a lot easier to go with the status quo, and keep believing in virgin births, men living inside of fish, talking snakes and dead men walking!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

virgin births, men living inside of fish, talking snakes and dead men walking!

And ? You seem to imply this kind of thing would be a problem.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Yes, for some it is easier to not question what they have been raised to believe than to completely rethink their world-view.

It's easier to just accept what you have been told instead of researching it yourself and coming to your own conclusions.Doing something like that would actually take longer than half a second and would require actually thinking.

Thank goodness I was strong enough to break the spell that religion and its stories had over me.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join