It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthcare Ruling: Individual Mandate Ruled CONSTITUTIONAL, entire law upheld.

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

If your employer coverage exceeds 9.5% of your household income or is inadequate (i.e., the portion the health plan pays of covered benefit costs falls below a certain level), you may also be able to purchase coverage in the Exchange and receive financial assistance.

Health plans will be able to offer a lower cost “catastrophic plan” to people who are under 30 or who are exempt from the requirement to purchase coverage based on federally defined criteria.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

link   
GOOD!...now I won't have to pay 350 dollars to cover my family of 4.....are some of you oposing this stupid?

link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

The difference is:

You are not required to own a vehicle or drive and are not required to have vehicle insurance if you choose not to own or drive a vehicle - There is a choice, you only pay if you choose to own/drive a vehicle

With the individual mandate you are required to purchase health insurance or pay the penalty tax - There is no choice, you must pay either way
edit on 28-6-2012 by LevelHeaded because: grammar fix

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

That depends on how much your gross income is?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
TYRANNY!

Forcing citizens to pay for services they may not need and forcing yet another new TAX on us all is TYRANNY!

ONCE THE GOVERNMENT SUPPLIES YOUR HEALTHCARE, THEY OWN YOUR DETAILED HEALTH RECORDS AND YOUR BODY! GOVERNMENT NOW OWNS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86

Originally posted by TheRedneck
As I am understanding this, it can be upheld if it is a tax, which pretty much means insurance will have to be administered through taxation itself instead of requiring individuals to buy private insurance. The law is constitutional if re-written in that manner, unconstitutional if requiring individuals to purchase their own insurance.

Confusing, but that's what I get.

TheRedneck

SPOT ON....that is exactly what it is

but everyone needs to understand we ALREADY were paying for people who didnt pay, through high medical cost

not much will change but for the most part most of us WILL NOT notice any difference

But their lies the trick.
Yes we already are covering people who don't have heath care insurance.
But do you really think healthcare costs will be lowered to accommodate not paying this anymore?
No they will stay where they are and America will effectively be double paying for the countries health care.
Nice bailout gift to the health care industry and insurance cartels Obama.
edit on 28-6-2012 by yellowsnow because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2012 by yellowsnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The thing is so freaking confusing... On the one hand this bill is about giving HC to people who cant afford it right? and then there is a mandate or tax, that requires you to have hc or pay a fine. what is the point of the mandate if your giving out free hc!?

im so confused right now and it doesn't help that I'm sleepy

despite him not being who I wanted, Im going to vote Romney just so he can get rid of this crap, I don't care of its the hallmark of his first term, it would be better than Obamas

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

My boss told me today that it is going to cost him approx. $10,000 more for every employee

Your boss is lying to you.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Now the government can mandate that you buy a Chevy Volt ,for example .You don't have to buy one but they can fine you if you don't.and like health care they can graduate the value of the fine as time goes on.The voter wanted fundamental change and they got it .Be prepared for more taxes this just a redistribution of your income and wealth before it is taxed away.As Obama said we have to be fair.lol

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose
I work two jobs, and live paycheck to paycheck...I have no medical insurance but have a doctor I can see for about $75 for basic visits, and I can also visit some clinics. Who says this healthcare mandate will make healthcare cheaper? This law will mandate that we all MUST PURCHASE INSURANCE! What if that insurance is $800 a month? How would we even afford this?

Go and find out how the bill will affect you.

www.washingtonpost.com...

I'd be interested to see people's situations.

You don't have to tell us your details...just what the premium caps would be and what the penalty would be.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Char-Lee

What I don't understand is how people who have always wanted insurance, but cannot afford it, can hardly pay their electric bills and eat, will suddenly be able to buy insurance just because a law ordered it.

Because an expanded pool of subscribers spreads the risk around. This would allow the insurance companies to charge lower rates. The rates would need to be competitive because insurance would be offered on brokered exchanges, where consumers could choose the company that charges the least for the most coverage. In practice, of course, consumers will not be able to understand what is on offer and go with the company with the cutest mascot. I chose my auto insurance based on a sexy cartoon female superspy. Wouldn't you?
edit on 28-6-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

No I am a female so a sexy cartoon hunky guy maybe :-)

The thing is at our level of income we can only own a car based on how much that car will cost in insurance, so even though we may be able to afford the gas and payment on a nicer vehicle we can no longer own one because of the cost of the insurance.

What if insurance companies simply keep the extra $$ and do not lower rates? No mater how you look at it, the people who earn low wages and have already let go there dinners out, their cable TV service and keep all the lights off unless they really need them etc...will be forced to buy something they still cannot afford or be punished by still more taxes.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Move to Canada, at least you will get health coverage and not some stupid health insurance. Health insurance is not health coverage. It's to enrich corporate sickos into getting billions more. You just watch as the insurance companies will raise rates as they will cite they can't afford the coverages anymore with these new rules.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by maplecustom
Let me get this straight US folks...Do you pay alot of different taxes? is the system nothing like "I pay X% tax of my income" Do you have different tax posts?

Start here: A List of Taxes

That does not include all of them, by far ,either. I don't see annual 'vehicle registration tax' on that list, though i could be overlooking it. I also don't see the annual "vehicle inspection tax" required by most States. My basic land line telephone bill was supposed to be $78 a month; however, by the time they added all the allowable taxes to it, it was well over $150 per month. Wish i still had an old land line phone bill; if so, i'd list them for you.

We pay tax on everything except non-prepared food. We pay tax on top of tax; there are (literally) taxes that are taxed. And, as of today, we got a NEW tax.

While i can neither provide a link nor remember where i read them, i've read two (2) posts by people in Europe who came to the U.S. for a while to work. They reported that, by percentage, Europeans (or at least where they were from) actually pay LESS tax, overall, than do U.S. citizens. I do not know if that is true or not; it's only what i read from two people who claimed it as truth.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Recent local news story.

I woman needed a walker. She ask her insurance provider about it. They said they could get her an approved one that cost something like $600. After her copay, her out of pocket was about $165. She couldn't afford it. Then she saw the exact sane one for sale at Kroger for $100. Then a week later Kroger had it on sale for $69.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Tyranny?

Absolutely but listen to this

A person who now will go on mom and dads insurance policy for 26 years and they will continue to pay health costs regardless of of their child is employed or not.

So what happens when that child gets a job?

That person will be paying healthcare, the parents will be paying healthcare and the insurance companies get double the cash.

The average person who can go 20 to 30 years without ever needing healthcare is paying something for nothing except those who are on medicare, and medicaid.

The government is making out like bandits, the insurance companies are making out bandits but where it comes to medicare and medicaid costs with age progression the cost of healthcare will skyrocket and outpaces the revenue that comes in.

That was "ruled constitutional".

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mrnotobc

You should see how doctors charge. I know I have to very close doctor friends. They were worried this would get overturned because of the way they charge medicaid. Now, they can continue charging excessively for medicaid. They do crazy charges on their bills to the insurance companies.I am not going to get into their billing, but believe me, doctors make their money off the insurance companies.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I just checked and it only confirmed what I already knew, either way, my cost will go up (fine is more than my annual health care expenses, as is the cost of ins.). I will spend less elsewhere and I'm sure others will be in the same boat. This won't be good for an already depressed economy.

link   

Originally posted by the4thhorseman

Originally posted by spinalremain

Originally posted by the4thhorseman
In case my question is lost..what about the 48-49% of people that don't pay taxes now...ARE they exempt from this tax if they opt out of having insurance?

Right. Babies will not have to pay the tax.

Sarcasm will get you know where friend..clearly you are missing the point. Right now about only 51% of Americans pay into the system. They others do not..since this IS a tax are these other 49% exempt from it?

IF we are all mandated to have it then everyone should be required to pay into it NO EXCEPTIONS..plus close all loop holes allowing those here illegally to have access to it.

If you are saying that the huge welfare and senior and such population pay into it, isn't that like saying you will pay twice? Once for yourself and once for them through the taxes you pay that already pays their living costs?

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join