It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthcare Ruling: Individual Mandate Ruled CONSTITUTIONAL, entire law upheld.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It was just announced, the Individual mandate was ruled Unconstitutional. No word yet on the rest of the law.

Details still coming out, will post as I get more data.

ETA: OK...I guess the original reports were wrong, The Individual Mandate WILL STAND as a TAX.

Details as I know it right now:

Individual Mandate Upheld, Entire Healthcare Law has been UPHELD and found Constitutional except one small part about medicaid...still getting details on that.

Here is the entire SCOTUS decision...only 193 pages.
www.supremecourt.gov...

CNN Article:
news.blogs.cnn.com...

In its 5-4 decision to uphold the U.S. health care law, the Supreme Court answered several key questions:
Question: Can the court decide the constitutionality of health care now, or does it have to wait a few years?

The court's answer: The court upheld the entire law.

Question: Is the requirement that people have health insurance - the so-called individual mandate - constitutional?

The court's answer: Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that the commerce clause did not apply, but the mandate stands under the taxing clause.

Question: If the individual mandate is unconstitutional, can the rest of the law stand, or is the whole thing unconstitutional?

The court's answer: The mandate is constitutional, rendering moot further questions on the rest of the law.

Question: Can the federal government force states to expand their share of Medicaid costs and administration?

The court's answer: Yes, but the justices ruled that the federal government cannot remove existing Medicaid funding if the states choose not to participate in the new program.

HUGE victory for Obama.
edit on 28-6-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I just heard exactly the opposite.

On ABC News.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Constitutional....

It is a tax is what I heard.

Upheld.

I predicted it would.
edit on 28-6-2012 by jam321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Some confusion on the ruling.

CNN originally reported it was struck down, others reporting individual mandate being upheld as a tax.

www.breakingnews.com...

edit on 28-6-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Constitutional....

It is a tax is what I heard.

Yes...every single station I had on came out and said it was struck down...talk about them jumping the gun (and me too)

+40 more 
link   
I really don't see how auto insurance can be mandated but to do so with health care is unconstitutional? Uninsured citizens cost the industry billions and raise the health care costs for the rest of us. If one is unconstitutional shouldn't the other also be unconstitutional?

Furthermore I'm disgusted that nine individuals decide the entire direction of our country.

ETA: CNN: Court may uphold the mandate through a tax clause....
edit on 6/28/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

link   
Hln says mandate struck down. Interesting about ABC.
I hope it has been struck down.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

The reports that I am hearing is that it is very 'confusing'.
Just what we need, more confusion.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Entire law upheld!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

From my understanding it's not "will stand" but if it were written as a tax it "could stand"? Currently forcing us to buy a corporate product isn't a tax... unless we wanted to take our little hint at Fascism and just have an all out Fascist blowout here?

"Breaking News: SCOTUS Rules Individual Mandate Unconstitutional" .. from CNN.com home page?
So which is it.. struck down or upheld?
edit on 6/28/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

+54 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

The difference though with auto insurance is... You don't have to have it. only if you want to drive do you have to have auto insurance. With the health insurance, I have no choice.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Lot's of confusion...some places are reporting that it is 100% upheld, some are saying it "could" be upheld, and some are saying it is struck down.

WTF??? Speak clearly SCOTUS!!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Come on everybody..

Give me a pat on the back.

I predicted it here

6-3

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

[Updated at 10:06 a.m. ET] In a landmark decision that will impact the nation for decades, the Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a key provision of President Barack Obama's health care law, ruling that requiring people to have health insurance violates the Constitution.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I have a few questions :

What does that mean .. is there something new with the today decision ?

will it mean everyone will have a new tax to pay for the Obama Health Plan ?
except the military and federal employees

and what is the difference now then when Obama signed the health care ?
edit on 6/28/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

It's funny that the mandate was the sticking thing about the HC bill when it was a Republican idea in the first place. Obama & the rest of us want the single payer route but no one could get the Health Care companies to go along.
Now maybe people will settle down with these predictions of Obama getting s#!t on with this & the doom & gloom for his re-election. Bite it Willard!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
CNN reports it as struck down, while other outlets report the opposite. Amazing how bad the MSM consistently is...

link   
reply to post by jam321

You have bragging rights for LIFE.

+82 more 
link   
We are screwed as a Nation.

Now the Govt can dictate what you have to purchase.

Nanny Govt just grew in size 100%

link   
reply to post by Ben81

Who knows? No one can even decide on what the SCOTUS has said much less what will be implemented.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join