It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthcare Ruling: Individual Mandate Ruled CONSTITUTIONAL, entire law upheld.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Why did I say you lied? Because only one third were/are against it. Read the post!!!!
Republicans trying to run the country with only the Congress! Lol

link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd

Originally posted by underduck

Yes. I have debating with people on whether or not they need to pay taxes.

If this failed and your state ended up supporting the act would you be all for it then?

Fortunately I live in a state where common sense is the rule, not the exception.

There is no constitutional authorization for a "social safety net", or the idea of redistributing wealth from those that have earned it, to those who have not.

If this failed, and my home state ended up implementing something like this, I would simply take my family, and my 2 businesses and relocate to a state that recognizes the idea that it is not the obligation of one to care for another.

You can still do that. You can move to another country if you want. Love it or leave it.
.... sorry I couldnt help myself as I have heard this so many times over the last 10 years from conservatives.

link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

The right wing has been telling people that over and over.

Now they have to eat crow.

I wonder if any of them will come out and say "I was wrong...it is Constitutional".

Or more likely...they will just say they know the Constitution better than the SCOTUS.

I am curious, since you seem to support this ruling. If I hear you correctly, you are not really calling this a "tax". My inlaws don't have health insurance. My father-in-law is self-employed, and does very well for himself. He pays cash for all of his medical treatments, even surgery. He does not need health insurance. So, under this ruling, he will either have to get insurance, or he will pay a tax(penalty). How is this not affecting him and many others who don't have insurance in a financial way? He will pay more in taxes/penalties, and penalized for paying cash?

link   

I wonder if any of them will come out and say "I was wrong...it is Constitutional".

Or more likely...they will just say they know the Constitution better than the SCOTUS.

Like I said, this just gives them more fodder for another four years of campaign rhetoric about the need to get more 'conservative' judges in the Supreme Court. A victory today for the GOP would have been disastrous for their election rhetoric.

link   

Originally posted by BearTruth

Where it can stand as a tax is, they require that everyone purchase insurance if not provided by their employer or Medicaid, however, you may decline to purchase the insurance. They will then slap you with a 1% tax on your income. Voila! It is a tax (which Congress is allowed to levy).

Not less than $695

Time to start looking for foreign nations who will accept my family and I so I can renounce and be done with this cesspool.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
As I am understanding this, it can be upheld if it is a tax, which pretty much means insurance will have to be administered through taxation itself instead of requiring individuals to buy private insurance. The law is constitutional if re-written in that manner, unconstitutional if requiring individuals to purchase their own insurance.

Confusing, but that's what I get.

TheRedneck

What the news discussion I watched this morning said, is that individuals will be required to buy insurance, but if they don't they will be fined. The fine will be called a tax and that makes it legal.

What I don't understand is how people who have always wanted insurance, but cannot afford it, can hardly pay their electric bills and eat, will suddenly be able to buy insurance just because a law ordered it.

When vehicle insurance became required in many states, at the high price it runs in ours, many seniors and poor had to give up their cars because they could not afford insurance. Many have to beg rides or use a bike or I have seen elderly carry heavy bags from the grocery stores.

So when they can't afford this health insurance wham they will be taxed, by a fine.

What I am also wondering about is the effect on small businesses, who will be required to insure their workers, many are barely making it already.

link   

Originally posted by BearTruth

Originally posted by Rockpuck

From my understanding it's not "will stand" but if it were written as a tax it "could stand"? Currently forcing us to buy a corporate product isn't a tax... unless we wanted to take our little hint at Fascism and just have an all out Fascist blowout here?

Where it can stand as a tax is, they require that everyone purchase insurance if not provided by their employer or Medicaid, however, you may decline to purchase the insurance. They will then slap you with a 1% tax on your income. Voila! It is a tax (which Congress is allowed to levy).

The insanity is getting worse and worse.This makes it harder for people to pay bills.

link   

Originally posted by Ben81
I have a few questions :

What does that mean .. is there something new with the today decision ?

will it mean everyone will have a new tax to pay for the Obama Health Plan ?
except the military and federal employees

As I understand it, if you purchase the insurance required by the bill, or have insurance from employment or Medicaid/Medicare, you will not be subject to the 1% tax. However, if you refuse/decline to maintain health insurance, you will be levied with the tax on your income. BT

link   
In case anyone interested in what Mitt Romney has to say he is speaking NOW (CNN)

link   

HUGE victory for Obama.

Huge victory for corporatists! I guess liberals don't really hate corporations after all.

I am appalled and disgusted at our SCOTUS. They have just ruled that we are required to fund corporations. You get this, right? Obamacare requires us to give billions of dollars to huge, bloated insurance corporations and dangerous, horribly immoral pharmaceutical corporations.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

After this, I seriously plan on looking at other options.

I would love to renounce if I can find a foreign nation that suits my needs and is friendly to the idea of personal freedoms including private property rights and gun ownership.

link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by TheRedneck
As I am understanding this, it can be upheld if it is a tax, which pretty much means insurance will have to be administered through taxation itself instead of requiring individuals to buy private insurance. The law is constitutional if re-written in that manner, unconstitutional if requiring individuals to purchase their own insurance.

Confusing, but that's what I get.

TheRedneck

What the news discussion I watched this morning said, is that individuals will be required to buy insurance, but if they don't they will be fined. The fine will be called a tax and that makes it legal.

What I don't understand is how people who have always wanted insurance, but cannot afford it, can hardly pay their electric bills and eat, will suddenly be able to buy insurance just because a law ordered it.

When vehicle insurance became required in many states, at the high price it runs in ours, many seniors and poor had to give up their cars because they could not afford insurance. Many have to beg rides or use a bike or I have seen elderly carry heavy bags from the grocery stores.

So when they can't afford this health insurance wham they will be taxed, by a fine.

What I am also wondering about is the effect on small businesses, who will be required to insure their workers, many are barely making it already.

The government is crazy in the head..This is how disasters of war and what not happen.They just don't care at all about debt and peoples money.
edit on 28-6-2012 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

CHIP Central Heath Identification Program, go get your Chip to day just sign up to pay the Health care tax, all your info will be in this CHIP from your age too where you work, shop, live, and what you eat. get your today, must be US citizen, voting/ed for Obama, or non US that is in the system. program stats at 1/2 your income before tax. Act so or your face fines that are 2/3 your income after tax

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Since most insurance companies require that you visit a doctor for a physical or checkup as part of getting the insurance does this mean in addition to having to purchase health insurance I now also have to visit a doctor?

What if I don't do what the doctor wants? Will I lose my coverage? Then have to pay fines?

This will get completely out of control (our control). Eventually the government will dictate what meds you take, what you can eat, etc.

This is about control period!
edit on 28-6-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

They will be exempt from the "penalty" and that burden will be placed on the shoulders of everyone else.

If you are a parasite, your life just got much easier today.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

And just what the frick do you call it??
It is socialized medicine, just under cover of another name.

link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Now CNN is saying 100% upheld under the Taxation Claus.

This is complete BS.. again kicking myself for voting for Democrats in 2008. Never again.

Question though.. if Health Insurance is now considered a "Tax" .. then that means I can write off all of my health insurance expenses when doing my taxes?

And I hope Obama plans on taking responsibility for the largest tax increase in US history. I'll have to pay $600 more a month in "taxes" for health insurance or pay a fee to the IRS.
edit on 6/28/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

Ah, but not so fast. The premiums for the healthcare would fall under the itemized deductions, subject to the percentage limitation based on your income.

Only if you don't purchase the insurance, or have it through your employer, are you levied with the tax, which would be about 1% of your annual income.

They get you coming or going. BT

link   
reply to post by FreeFromTheHerd

Really?!?!?!?

After everything this country has done for the past 30 years, this is the thing that is going to cause you to reconsider which country you call home?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

There's always the chance that they actually know what they want and this bill isn't it.
So there is a chance that the people will just be more PO'ed.

There have been polls showing that people really really like most of the provisions of the bill...they just thought the mandate was unconstitutional.

Now that the SCOTUS has made it clear that it is Constitutional...all that is left for those people is to continue to like the provisions of the bill.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

This discussion is getting ridiculous.

I think some of you are jumping a little too far to conclusions.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join