It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here, take your frickin star!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
reply to post by Lionhearte

And stars I believe are meant to reflect the personal aspect of it, where you give stars if someone says something that makes sense and you agree with.

Flags=logical
Stars=Emotional

Which is why perhaps they are so ruined in how they are used... peoples' emotion seem to always outweigh the logic.

I think a more practical solution would be to just add a type of "thumbs up" and a "thumbs down" button, to show just how much a person is agreed/disagreed with on this board. Often times I find myself resistant to giving someone a star, even if they post something I do agree with, simply because I know that I disagree with them in different subjects.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Lionhearte

Also to add to the latter part of your post, it is hard for me to appreciate debate for the sake of... well pride i'd say.

How can you really think your opinion on anything is any more "fact" than someone else's opinion? That to me is a cry for attention. Not that things can't be morally or socially wrong, or even illogical but... come on people, debate belongs where it counts and might change minds, not where it is easiest to pick up stars!

Well, that is why I said "fact" and not "opinion", as those are not the same.

By fact, I am referring to the citation of outside reliable sources of information, a break down of data (if necessary), definitions, and hell, even theoretical propositions are acceptable.

Ugh, basically what I'm saying is, be mature, be factual, back up any claims that are made (if trying to claim something as fact, and not hypothetical), and there won't be a problem

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
S&F, this thread is kicking the arse out of many well written threads. Now, star me!

Add another for the edit!
edit on 28-6-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
This is kind of funny in that I came to the same conclusion quite a while except I do it a little different. I give everyone in my threads stars simply for replying whether I agree or not with 2 exceptions. If they are an obvious troll(ie only cracking jokes or nit picking the spelling or title etc) or posts to other people in the thread. in the case of the latter I will star if they make a good point on topic, again even if it is contrary to my opinion.

In other peoples thread I flag for a good topic. and I only star for making a good point or adding to a thread including a well thought out question. I will also star any replies to me specifically unless it was an obvious troll or personal attack.

I say star like you mean it and let the trolls star the trolls.
edit on 28-6-2012 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

Originally posted by Mickierocksman
A test….. Don’t star this response – anyone that does is a baa baa sheeple!

2nd line says the same as the first.

Mickierocks (I don't want stars) man

you should've known one fool was gonna star you.

It’s like working with my stubborn 2 year old…. Tell her to do something = does the opposite.

(NOW – NO ONE STAR THIS – OK)

Good! I see we have an understanding now......

Mickierocksman

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Mickierocksman

But not starring you would kind of mean that I admit defeat... I will have to think about it.... And yes I was the "fool" who starred you last post. But you know why I did right? It was the sound effects that made me do it

ETA: and you did briefly use all caps as well as an insult in your last one... Plus your avatar winks so I'm gonna have to give you one sorry.

If you want to walk away without a star you need a long post, no links, no emoticons or humor, no all caps or ellipses, and what you say cannot be bad and has to be slightly intelligent and pertaining to the thread but not brilliant
edit on 28-6-2012 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Glad you admit it.....

Funny OP, probably the best I have seen all day.

(Well the most enjoyable thread to read all the way through actually)

DON'T DO IT - EVEN IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT...... DON'T CLICK - JUST DON'T - FOR WHATEVER REASON YOU HAVE - AVOID THE TEMPTATION!

Mickierocksman

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

But not starring you would kind of mean that I admit defeat... I will have to think about it.... And yes I was the "fool" who starred you last post. But you know why I did right? It was the sound effects that made me do it

ETA: and you did briefly use all caps as well as an insult in your last one... Plus your avatar winks so I'm gonna have to give you one sorry.

If you want to walk away without a star you need a long post, no links, no emoticons or humor, no all caps or ellipses, and what you say cannot be bad and has to be slightly intelligent and pertaining to the thread but not brilliant

Ok, you win - I give up!

Time to get out of the office - have fun kids!

Mickierocksman

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

So you want me to post a religious reply?

Mickierocksman

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Good thread.

Now star me please, I am trying to get my stars to a round number.

vvv

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Good thread.

Now star me please, I am trying to get my stars to a round number.

vvv

That, sir..... was for your dog.

Mickierocksman
edit on 28/6/2012 by Mickierocksman because: Because I can't seem to type well today.....

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
There's a starman waiting in the sky
Hed like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
Hes told us not to blow it
Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
He told me:
Let the children lose it
Let the children use it
Let all the children boogie

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Who gives a crap about flags and stars anyway??

I have added threads in the past, spent a great deal of time on them to put them across in a proper manner, hardly any response, flags or stars.

Then 10 minutes later another ATS member will write that an alien being came into their bedroom last night and they danced together and sang a duet through the karaoke machine, and they get a million flags and 60 million stars.

Sometimes I just think that it's all down to the age group of members online at a specific time, plus it also depends on what time you add a thread to the website due to the differences with countries and their time zones. Sometimes you can add a thread and they have dwindled away through the fire-hose before members have even had time to see them....

I think there should be a button to show how pointless and unappreciated certain threads are and show the results of that next to the stars and flags. Then people may get the message that some of us members here on ATS actually want to learn and share information with each other rather than be told that a robot drone just erupted from a pimple on my butt cheek............

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

It's blue moons!! And only 1 red balloon!!! And you forgot hearts and clovers

Feed me stars!!!! They're magically delicious

edit on 28-6-2012 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Noez I haz 2 meni starz i wan flag pl0x

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
What i learned about ATS Stars is that a lot of strs are given to whatever comment on FIRST PAGE, latter pages, doesn't matter whether the post is a good point or bad point, they will barely get any, in fact only from posters who actually read every single post.

This goes to show that most of the ATS READ FIRST PAGE then JUMP to REPLY POST.

If you don't believe me, look at the first page on this Thread compared to latter pages.
edit on 6/28/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Hmmm.
Ok, can I have a star for each of the stars in my avatar pic?

(when I'm in a hurry, I will sprint read a thread, just checking out the heaps of stars posts. Why? Because if its short, its generally a gag and what's the point of life without a smile? If its long, I'm relieved that there's a good gaggle of atsers who know a knowledgeable post and star it. So I think they hold value)
edit on 28-6-2012 by Qumulys because: edddditedddddd to Flag your OP but NOT to star it!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

A star here
A star there
A star, star everywhere!....

Good rant...you express yourself very well...and from time to time; I suspect many feel as you do.

edit on 28-6-2012 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yup. I hear ya op.
Second line
Third line
Fourth line

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
-Cough-

You know these stars are virtual in nature ?

It's not like they are documentations of ownership of real stars anywhere.

Just sayin'

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join