It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Henry Ford said it best.

"Workers should be paid enough to be able to afford the products that they're building".

He was the first one to do this - this should be the same for every company. If you pay your workers enough to be able to afford whatever it is they're selling/building, you'll create your own sales.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by novemberecho

I was working temp at a warehouse. They invented a new position after I'd been there a while, warehouse supervisor. He liked to stand around and look at the sky a lot and not help out. We all wondered what he was doing, so I asked him. He told me he was thinking of how to make the place better. I shrugged and went on with the floor cleaner. Shortly after, I was fired for "not working out". When I went to the temp agency again, I was told I was fired for attacking that guy with the floor cleaning machine. The temp agency could see through his story. They offered me a job at a grain elevator. I thought about the possible injuries, perhaps caused by angry rednecks, and then said thanks but no thanks.
edit on 21-5-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Henry Ford said it best.

"Workers should be paid enough to be able to afford the products that they're building".

I bought some toilet paper from my work place. The assistant manager said, "Wow, you worked an hour for this."

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Why is everyone making their own "job gripe" thread? Well I think it may be that how this messed up global economy works, not everyone experiences the stress at the same time or in the same way. So many are seeing it bad, whereas others are not?

Also depends on your field I'd guess. Jobs that cater to rich are stable in many places now, or the last remains of the single middle class. See, the single American yuppies tend to have more money as long as they have a good job and don't make "status symbol" purchases. But look at how well dog day spas and designer pet food stores do in populated cities. If you have the right trendy product at the right place in the right location there's still chances to get wealthy, but it's still very risky. Circus acrobat training and pilates and hot yoga too, all hot in the right place.

I've been layed off for almost 2 years from the IT field trying to find a job that pays what I'm accustomed to. But I'm a single debt free guy who does almost everything with my own hands, so I can live cheaply. So I recently moved to a single room (2/3 the price of last place) with a friend in a nice house closer to jobs/work/stores. I already have a garden in and just today I started a new job working for a LARGE search engine doing work on imagery. It pays less than my first test gig at MS over 12 yrs ago did, but see I don't need that much and know this current market. All IT gigs are paying less now (thank WTO and them sending jobs to India and China now). But I have been miserly and thrifty and am debt free and am focusing on the fact that this job looks interesting and theyre notorious for taking good care of their employees... I was the only guy in training today with IT experience. This field is changing fast I tell you what.

I wish everyone the best luck in finding work. If anyone wants suggestions finding IT/test jobs, I'm more than wiling to try and help, just message me.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I applied to 4 jobs today online and i try to keep my search in range of 25 miles using mapquest due to gas prices. Ive been doing this daily for months now and scared to expand my search past what I can afford in gas prices. And this is my 2nd time moving into an area just to try to find a job and my funds are exausted.
im actually taking a break from my 8 hour full time job hunt and came here for a break only to see this thread!
edit on 21-5-2012 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Carnegie said if he paid them what they were worth they wouldn't show up cause they would be too busy spending their money

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

WOW!!! What the heck!!

And everyoe, by my post. I wasn't meaning to say that I have the worst job ever, I just wanted to vent. XD
I know there are PLENTY worse jobs.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
For me, yes there are bad companies, and there are good. I've worked for both. My all-time favorite that I would jump at in a heartbeat, Cracker Barrel. I adored working there. I adored management, coworkers, environment, the products they sold that I bought, the food I ate during lunch hour or with my family on days off. I was very good at my job. The only reason I left, in protest, was because my husband got out of the Navy on medical and he wanted to go back to NY where his family was. I tried telling him, there were no jobs in NY, but I didn't know better and he had to find out for himself. What he should have done was gone to work for Lockhead or Boeing where we already were since he had the skill set, but again, he had to find out for himself. He spent 15 years of sporadic off and on employment, mostly off. We either lived off my and my daughter's SSI, my father and brother, unemployment, you name it. He was lazy. Half the time he didn't want to work because it interfered with his bands. But his bands would bring a total of $20-60 a month. That's not a livable wage. And he felt that $7/hour was beneath him. Oh but $60 a month is ok. Before he left us there was almost no food at all in out house. I was eating twice a week to make sure our daughter had food. I was calling my dad and begging for $20 just to buy her cereal and milk and bread so she had something to eat. I was thankful for the school program otherwise she's have no lunch or breakfast. Our fridge was empty except for condiments, our pantry had a few ramen noodles, but I understood her frustration in not wanting to eat that anymore. There are lazy people out there but there are also people like me who want to work but physically just can't.

Originally posted by Aliquandro
Why is everyone making their own "job gripe" thread? Well I think it may be that how this messed up global economy works, not everyone experiences the stress at the same time or in the same way. So many are seeing it bad, whereas others are not?

Also depends on your field I'd guess. Jobs that cater to rich are stable in many places now, or the last remains of the single middle class. See, the single American yuppies tend to have more money as long as they have a good job and don't make "status symbol" purchases. But look at how well dog day spas and designer pet food stores do in populated cities. If you have the right trendy product at the right place in the right location there's still chances to get wealthy, but it's still very risky. Circus acrobat training and pilates and hot yoga too, all hot in the right place.

I've been layed off for almost 2 years from the IT field trying to find a job that pays what I'm accustomed to. But I'm a single debt free guy who does almost everything with my own hands, so I can live cheaply. So I recently moved to a single room (2/3 the price of last place) with a friend in a nice house closer to jobs/work/stores. I already have a garden in and just today I started a new job working for a LARGE search engine doing work on imagery. It pays less than my first test gig at MS over 12 yrs ago did, but see I don't need that much and know this current market. All IT gigs are paying less now (thank WTO and them sending jobs to India and China now). But I have been miserly and thrifty and am debt free and am focusing on the fact that this job looks interesting and theyre notorious for taking good care of their employees... I was the only guy in training today with IT experience. This field is changing fast I tell you what.

I wish everyone the best luck in finding work. If anyone wants suggestions finding IT/test jobs, I'm more than wiling to try and help, just message me.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

1. Stop the pity poor me party.
2. Learn to live to your means.
3. Get a job. Climb the latter.
4. Give up the dependency on Gov. and unemployment.
5. Stop complaining! It won’t get you anywhere.

1. Who is saying pity me? Mostly I see "be patient while I find a job that suits my needs financially and goal-wise."

2. Ridiculous - People DO live within their means. If I have a job whose pay allows me a certain standard of living, and I lose my job.. suddenly I wasn't living within my means? What a load of rubbish. If you are suggesting I live my entire life under my means just in case I lose my job, so then I will be within my means.. no. I am not going to live my life in fear.. always underachieving because of what MIGHT happen.

3. Yes.. great advice. Of course, that's what most people do. Many of those laid off did just that.. for 10.. 15.. 20 years. And then *poof*.. laid off because of the economy. Hardly their fault, they did what you said. Doesn't always pay off.

4. Most people do that as soon as possible. Because unemployment is jack in the U.S. We have a horrible unemployment system. I have to chuckle that so many of you think it's a "good thing." It's terrible. Any country worth its salt has a MUCH better system in place, to go figure, SUPPORT ITS CITIZENS!

5. Who is complaining? Most of the complaints I see are from idiots who think someone who has worked for 30 years has NO RIGHT to collect the pittance that is unemployment, while they look for a meaningful, equitable job. No.. I see "omg.. stop being lazy, go work at McDonalds or dig ditches, it's the American way!" Screw off, I say. I hope some of you self-righteous folks who keep looking down your noses at others, once you lose your supposedly secure job, get the same level of support that you provide others. And not this self-righteous advice you think will actually help people.
Great attitude! That'll get you nowhere real fast...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

There's something bigger that needs to be addressed like outsourcing work and exporting jobs overseas. Something bigger like Mitt Romney coming in and laying off thousand of people so he can make his investors a nice profit. @@:

Please explain what Romney has to do with any of this? If it has to do with the Bain Capitol commercial, he had been gone for 2 or 3 years before the lay off's happened. Many of the companies he was involved in purchasing prior to the company just closing the doors did involve some layoffs in order to make the company profitable so many more to keep their jobs..

I'm not a Romney fan but he has nothing to do with the loads of jobs not paying living wages.

You either work for how you want to live or lower your standards of living.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
It very simple, there are more people who need jobs than there are jobs. Think of it like this, if there are only 50 seats on a train but 75 passengers board the train ,some people are going to have to stand.
Technology has eliminated a lot of jobs over the last 50 years while the population has dramatically increased.
one modern farming machine can do in 1 day what it used to take 100 men a week to do.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

And Henry Ford was unable to deliver on this.

Why do you think unions came about?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'm not sure it's been posted yet but everyone should read this article:

www.alternet.org...

"Just look around in here if you wanna see how bad it is out there," one of the associates at the temp office said to me, unprompted, when I got hired. It's the first time anyone has ever tried to comfort me because I got a job, because he knew, and everyone in this industry that's growing wildfire fast knows, and accepts, that its model by design is mean. He offered me the same kind of solidarity the workers inside the warehouse try to provide each other at every break: Why are you here? What happened that you have to let people treat you like this? "We're all in the same boat," he said, after shaking my hand to welcome me aboard. "It's a really big boat."

It goes into detail how brutal the working conditions and unfair the labor practices are at big warehouses across the country.

These are the types of jobs left to be had in the U.S.A. What's worse is that ultimately these jobs will be automated using robotics. Then what will people do?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Actually, he delivered on that, for a long long time.....
Factory jobs at his company used to be great. Great pay, great benefits. Unfortunately it couldn't last, once imports started pooring in, it changed the whole ballgame.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I always find it hilarious when I see the phrase "good jobs" and "living wages". Money doesn't keep people alive. Jobs aren't desirable. Full automation of our economy should be the goal, making fewer and fewer jobs all the time, not more and more. More work to do is not a good thing. Money is a contrived game used to control us all. Money has nothing to do with the economy or anything real, it is an imaginary rigged game that you can never win.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Factory jobs at his company used to be great. Great pay, great benefits. Unfortunately it couldn't last, once imports started pooring in, it changed the whole ballgame.

There is no reason for human beings to be working in factories at all. This is the twenty-first century, the industrial revolution is over, we're in the diamond age of virtually limitless energy and abundant resources. Everyone is so brainwashed by this money game, they keep repeating nonsensical phrases like "great pay" and "great jobs", as if such things even exist. Money is a contrived game that's rigged so you can never win, its sole purpose is to enslave us all.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
These are the types of jobs left to be had in the U.S.A. What's worse is that ultimately these jobs will be automated using robotics. Then what will people do?

It's both pathetic and sad to see people saying things like this. The obvious underlying fear at the idea of no toil and abundant resources in an age of virtually limitless energy is frightening and disappointing. People should REJOICE at the idea of no jobs left to do, at the idea of full automation replacing human labor. Then what will people do? ENJOY THEIR #ING LIVES WITHOUT TOIL OR NEEDLESS GRIEF

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
It very simple, there are more people who need jobs than there are jobs. Think of it like this, if there are only 50 seats on a train but 75 passengers board the train ,some people are going to have to stand.

People don't "need jobs". We need fewer jobs, not more jobs. Your ridiculous train analogy shows just how truly two-dimensional and flat your thinking is. This is the twenty-first century, not the first century. Full automation can and should replace all human labor in the economy. Already the input of human labor into the economy is vanishingly small, a typical lawnmower can outwork twenty men. Money is a contrived game used to control and enslave us all. It's a rigged game that you can never win. We need to abandon this anachronistic and vile system of money and replace it with nothing. Cooperation and sharing will always outperform competition and waste.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Henley
You either work for how you want to live or lower your standards of living.

I know absolutely nothing about you, but I can guarantee you that none of the "work" you do does anything in any way to support you. You don't make your own clothes, you didn't build your car, or your computer, or your home, you don't grow the food you eat and you don't collect your own drinking water. The next time you take a bath, try to imagine how long it would take you to build your bathtub, if you had to. Then come back here and tell us all about how people should "work" for what they want.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
Why do you think unions came about?

Trade unions came about because corporate slave holders weren't profiting enough off the labor of their people, so they set up phony institutions and tried to convince the workers that these institutions were on their side. Trade unions are coke to the shop's pepsi. They're both on the same side against the employees. What better way to enslave people than to convince them they are free and can participate in their own destiny.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join