It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by rebellender

you are slave to the harshest employer of all, the customer

yeah, everybody has a real smart answer, funny it dont work that way on this one

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You sound bitter - I am not being smart intentionally
I love what I do and put my all into it - My customers are those who buy what I love to do
Because they see something they like in my work which is my own expression
I guess I am fortunate that I require little money to be happy and am happy to be able to do what I love
Heck I do it for free also
Sorry things have not worked out for you as you may have wanted

Oh no not bitter, bitter isnt the word
see its attitudes, you are an anonymous poster but still I have to be careful not to call you out, so I will say its your Cavalier attitude that things are not working out for me the way I wanted.

A lot of people had worked 30 years even for the same company, their retirement package was a portfolio shrank out to a third if lucky,

talking about people who put years into home ownership then cant pay for them and well good bye....

Its the attitude portrayed that somehow its their own fault.
Quickly blame is established as a psychological self absolution so as to deny the humanity of loss.
Further fueled with a knee jerk statement of "There are $8hr jobs falling off trees and all are too proud to take one.

Mister Poet guy, after one loses everything he has worked hard for there is no pride left.

Is it possible that the $8 hr jobs filling the "Indeed" page are EOE mandatory advertisements for jobs left in a company that slashed jobs and cut payroll to stay in business and the $8 hr jobs are filled in house by the lucky ones that got to stay?

I have been honest with you, be honest with me. what in your 30yr Working Career have you LOST?
edit on 20-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
What about law enforcement jobs??? I work for a state doc and can make up to $100,000 per year if I choose. My base rate is roughly $62,000/year. This is in Rhode Island (the smallest state in the US !!!!). The Rhode Island DOC hired 70 co's this past year and are looking to hire 60-70 more come January 2013.
I know all of the F*** cops statements and bla bla bla, but guess what, theres always going to be criminals.
Back to my point about RI being the smallest state, and hiring close to 150 officers in 1 year...imagine what a large state like TX or CA can hire. Not at just state levels but county levels as well.
I know the majority of you will seethe at this post, as I am probably part of the "problem"...but my family is WELL provided for, and I can do all the lavish things in life that I want.
And here was the qualifications---High School diploma/GED, no felonies, proof of citizenship. Thats all folks.
Not a great job, but definately consistent, and pays the bills. Think about it.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
A big part of the problem is that the world has changed a lot. India and China are developing rapidly, and they put a greater emphasis on education than the US does. We are closing schools and busting teachers unions and we are slipping rapidly behind. Our country is also rapidly dumbing down. People used to read books, now they text and use the PS3.Electronic media is the new opiate of the masses, and arguably as damaging. And some people will argue the internet is a great educational tool but there us so much opinionated and pseudo truth on here its not the best place to learn unless you really try to look for legitimate sources of information. Then another reason the jobs have left is of course the cheap wages and almost no environmental regulation to hinder profits. We cant complete with what amounts to slavery. What we can do? I would create engineering schools across the country, and start shelling out scientists and engineers like crazy, give them grants to start businesses, and give them a tax waiver for every long term living wage job they are able to create. If we create a corporate culture where the creation of living wage jobs positively affects the bottom line, there will be a redux of job creation. We need something like the Manhattan project or the Apollo project of job creation. We can turn this around, but not by listening to the people who want to turn this country into a feudal state.
edit on 20-5-2012 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-5-2012 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Well I just got informed I am wrong I misread the T&C's and now YOU know the next Stephenie Meyer/JK Rowling...my new job Author...I will be making bank.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
people with kids need insurance, likely need a 9-5 job that allows you to take days off, you need to make enough money to cover daycare and school expenses.

We didn't have insurance until recently when the state Oklahoma started offering it based on income. Prior, if we needed a procedure, we just paid what we could a month until it was paid off. I think a person is only require to pay 25.00 a month for medical charges in Oklahoma. I don't know, my GF handles that. Every once in a while I need an antibiotic from the clinic or a wisdom tooth pulled. I'm 44. I don't have major medical expenses in my youth. When our daughter was young enough to need daycare, my GF got a job at the daycare center. That was free daycare. However, there's daycare assistance in Oklahoma. What school expenses are you talking about? The start of the year requirements amount to about 30.00. Fantastic clothes are next to nothing at the second hand stores around here.
edit on 20-5-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by Goldcurrent
you are slave to the harshest employer of all, the customer

yeah, everybody has a real smart answer, funny it dont work that way on this one
edit on 20-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

Guy must of never installed cabinetts
or painted some 60 year old ladies house

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
How about the folks that have been layed off several times in the last three years only to find jobs IN THEIR FIELD and seeing a 30% cut every time the find a new job! That is happening in the construction trades now with the pressure of the illegals! Our costs of living don't go down but our damned wages sure seem too!

Zindo

So why don't you do the same thing as the illegals and live in one house with your family? What is wrong with having 3 generations in one home? "Illegals" are happy to do it and happy to make those wages. If you don't think its fair, then get a job the "illegals" cant get!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Humans remind me of ants. Always building and working, as if simply enjoying life is some type of blasphemy.
Well, we are pretty industrious. When I got laid off, I literally felt like I was dying and that only another job would prevent that.

I've managed to find meaningful work in dry goods. I feel the job is necessary work. I also understand it, as shopping for supplies is one the few things I spend money on. However, there's not a lot of meaningful work out there. So, time at work, for most, is time wasted.

Also, cooperation is more efficient than competition. We have become a competitive species that even competes with family and friends for the money and the power. We are inefficient, so we don't have leisure time to enjoy our lives. Our pleasure and our memories are all we really have.

Really, what does it matter if life is wasted? You won't know you were ever alive once your brain stops working. I guess there's an excuse to work really hard at enslaving others out that frustrating reality.

Or maybe your cult believes in an afterlife. I think most of them do. Maybe you can ignore this life, as the next one is supposed to be full effortless pleasure that lasts forever.

Myself, I'd rather enjoy the joke right up to the punchline. I understand that the brain plays some pretty neat tricks at the time of death to hide the pain and emotion of the end. I'll wait until then to lose my mind.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

1. Copy german unemployment insurance system.

2. re-train / re-educate your unemployed workforce.

3. profit.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
I will agree that there are jobs that do not pay living wages. BUT what are we supposed to do then? Live on welfare? I'm sorry but welfare is not a lifestyle choice for me, and my parents did not raise me up to just take and take and sit on my behind. I'd rather dig ditches than sit on my duff and take my monthly check. I will work as long as I can, and I have multiple sclerosis and a heart condition. I cannot abide laziness. Welfare is a hand UP, not a lifestyle.

No, the welfare system was designed to keep people in receivership. It is not a hand up when your benefits get cut and you net less working 40 hours than sitting and doing nothing, and that amount was barely livable to begin with.

UNLESS

People want to work their entire lives away (my definition is 50 hours a week or more) for the enrichment of the corporate technocratic oligarchy.That is something I refuse to do. I watched my father, as a middle-class automotive engineer, work his tail off (sometimes upwards of 80 hours in a single week) and have four work-precipitated heart attacks, only for his emPLOYer to make bad investments and squander his retirement fund.

OR

People want to revert to village living. Humanity has yet to see a sustainable model that works for anything larger than very small towns or villages.

I would take the village living option if I knew where I could have it without a religion running it. I used to be a member of a little-known cult (unless one studies cults) that had a very enjoyable lifestyle, but still depended on the corporate technocratic oligarchy for its own sustenance. They had and still have plans to go fully independent but I don't think they will be able to do it.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

What does Mitt Romney have to do with this problem, He is not the President?
If he is to win and lay people off in the government sector, I'm all for it. It is over bloated by way to many people.
Every President has sold us out, starting with Clinton and the Republican Congress with NAFTA and CAFTA.

Clinton while signing the NAFTA bill stated that "NAFTA means jobs. American jobs, and good-paying American jobs. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't support this agreement."[4]
Wiki

I originally voted for Bush thinking he would repeal it. Bush then goes and takes Clinton's China policy and puts it on steroids. I would like to here one question asked to Romney or Obama.
Would you repeal NAFTA and our current trade policies with China? I will vote for who says yes.
Obama is already President and hasn't done squat.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

sorry about that but you do see the humour in it right?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Come on youngsters... don't you realize that the situation you find yourself in regarding employment is not the job market, or lack thereof; the problem is YOU. But from my observations and experience you really are unaware of your many shortcomings.

Just last week my company hired and the quickly fired 3 boys in their 20's who were unable to do "man's" work. As a result of this and similar previous experiences, our new policy is to hire no one under 40 years of age... and certainly never the women that raised these nitwits.

Upon discussing this matter with peers within the field the shared consensus is that "these kids aren't worth a damn" and nobody is hiring them anywhere... nor can they expect employment in the future because they simply aren't worth $8 an hour.

If any of you kids intend to have a future you'd better figure out the reason this is happening because you're the "have-nots" and nobody can change this reality but you. Or conversely, enjoy your "careers" providing customer disservice at every level.

edit on 21-5-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Nice words have been spoken in this thread.

However can someone explain how Apple's profits are increasing year by year?

If you ask everybody how is his life, almost nobody is happy. But all have some item of Apple costing > $400 and cannot pay for food.
edit on 21-5-2012 by kapodistrias because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I'm so tired of people telling me to go work fast food.

I'm not going to go work fast food. I don't eat it and I can't stand the smell of it. I think fast food is contributing to disease and bad health and I don't want to be a part of that.

There's an Arbys connected to a gas station not far from where I live. Whenever I see workers coming out of there, they look pale, greasy, and unhappy.

Sure it's a buck, and it's food on the table but I just cannot do it.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
I bet all of you jobless were the same ones who shopped at Wal-Mart, drive Toyotas or Hondas, and buy imported name brands.

I am curious as to what sectors of employment the majority here have been in and what types of education (college, university etc) they have acquired through these massive student loans.

Unfortunately a little foresight and risk management is required in the real-world and a degree in psychology or related field is not exactly a solid investment.

Yep. I shopped at walmart today. I buy my groceries there and paid only $80.00 vs the $150.00 I would have put out had I gone to Safeway. You bet your boots I will go where it's cheaper. I'm not too proud to go get what I need to survive where it is more affordable.

A psychology degree is not completely worthless. My sister got her BA in Psy a year ago and works in a job that she not only loves, but makes decent money as well. I'll be following in her footsteps too, but I will go further and get my masters, and YES I will take out massive loans to do this.

I don't own a car, I ride a bike. Get great exercise that way and save a ton on gas.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

I bet all of you jobless were the same ones who shopped at Wal-Mart, drive Toyotas or Hondas, and buy imported name brands.

What the hell does one have to do with the other?

So if I buy at Wal-Mart, it's my fault I'm unemployed? The fortune 500 environmental company I worked for somehow got wind I bought goods from out of country and fired me? Or are you saying it is karma?

Some of the posts from some of you people are beyond moronic.

I got laid off because a new CTO who became CIO thought it would be neat to implement a phone support, warm-transfer system. Sucks for employees - supposedly will save a few bucks. And wants to make waves since he just started. THAT is why I was RIF'd. Not because of where I shop. Some of you "you are lazy lol / you buy imported goods so that's why you were fired" people really tic me off.
edit on 20-5-2012 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

Meh. I love how the anti walmart crowd love to throw in the BUT YOU SHOP AT WALLLLLMART and so you are scum!

I'm not going to go spend extra money at say Albertsons, Safeway or any other grocer just so I can put my nose up in the air and say I don't go to walmart.

I don't like walmart, I don't like their practices, but I cannot afford to go anywhere else right now. And that is going to be how it's going to be.

I wouldn't doubt that the people who scream loudest about walmart go there themselves.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Work for Kirby Inland Marine. Their office is in Houston. Google it. You will start off as a deckhand making 120.00 a day. And you have to live on a tug boat 14 days on on 7 off or 20 days on 10 off. After 3 to 9 months they will train you to be a tankerman, you basically watch the oil barges load and keep things from spilling out by shutting valves. They get paid 230.00 a day to 360.00 a day. Look up Tankerman jobs they pay well. You don't even need a high school diploma to do this. So it sounds like its right up your alley. After a few years you can become a wheelman and make 400-500 a day as a ship pilot. They do do drug testing and a criminal background test you have to get a TWIC card. So as long as your clean your good. On your days off you can have your own business or live somewhere cheap where your money goes a long way. There are jobs you just have to look to find them . Dress well for your interview, be positive, don't complain, do what your told at work. The advantages of this job are you really don't need to live somewhere your only off for a few days so stay with friends or get cheap hotel rooms and start paying off your debt. Hell live in Mexico or Panama. Not only that your not paying for food the ship buys whatever you want. No grocery bill, no electric no rent. Do the math. Stop being a whiney little brat and do something about your situation. Or you can SLING dope and live rent free in jail. Theres no helping some people.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by seamus

I hear you loud and clear. My mother worked factory all of her life and it nearly killed her. Her doctor told her, in my presence to stop working her job or it would kill her. She didn't listen and we nearly lost her. I watched her suffer and for what?

I won't do it. I want to live. If this makes me lazy then I guess I'm lazy. But I won't go work in fast food, factory, or any other job like this just so I can puff up my chest and say that I bring a check.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

oh yes, quite complaining people!!!

people are noticing you and even those who haven't been touched by the recession are starting to take notice of what is going on!!! be quiet please!! ya see, I am over here making lots of money, that I wouldn't be making if this economy was healthy an on track!! I don't want it to change!!!

wonder how many of those new food stamp recipients are recently unemployed, now working minimum wage??
at least society put a moral responsibility onto the slave masters expecting them to keep their slaves fed, clothed, and sheltered. not so for the employers of today, oh no!!! not much of anything is expected of them as they take their tax credits and other bribes to move into a region of the country. and they can turn around and expect us taxpayers to feed, clothe, shelter, and even provide them with a cellphone so they have no excuse when they are called in the early, early morning hours to report to work and cover for a sick coworker!!!

sorry, but to me, a only job that is worth having is one that will supply the needs of the employer, unless they are willing to train you and provide you with the skills that will provide you with that better paying job in a reasonable amount of time! the only other option is, well, welfare, food stamps, ect, keeps growing larger and larger, and we all know how those conservatives seem to feel about those programs!!!!

most of the people in my shop are earning over minimum wage, and we have some on food stamps and the like! and there is no way anyone is gonna convince me that it isn't costing society more money for that money to flow through the various gov't agencies and to the people than it would for the danged employer to pay a decent wage to begin with!!!

conservatives want their cake and they want to eat it also....

either that or they want employees to be hungry, homeless, and sick, and dropping dead in the workplace!!

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join