It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I just heard that Australia is hiring engineers from the US. They're paying at least twice as much as the US. Outback living is required. I'm guessing some native culture destruction might be involved.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

The extra pay is probably hazard pay, considering just about every creature native to Australia can kill/poison/maim you.

-TS

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Most people on welfare also work they just lie about it and take money under the table. With the way the government screws us I really don't blame them. Even 10.00 an hour is hard to live on. 12.00 is hard to live on. You really have to budget and struggle and you end up with no savings if you have any kind of enjoyment in your life. Let alone retirement. Even with a college degree jobs are scarce that want to pay you a living wage. Why work 80 hrs a week? You have no life. Forget owning a house, when you get old you lose everything anyway. Enjoy your life while your young, travel see the world. Enjoy yourself. For most of us the American dream doesn't exist, so why play the game? Everytime I see a bank robbery on TV I'm like good for you, I hope you get away with it. Get some land in a third world country and buy a house with your money. Live large on small money. I know that sounds sad but that's the way I've come to think of my situation.
edit on 23-5-2012 by ceranko because: more

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Hi everyone.I haven't read the whole thread but 1 thing that keeps on being mentioned is the travel costs to work
and it's marginal effect.
Why can't these costs be tax deductible.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

'Ragging on youth"?? but I include nearly every one under 40 in this category (4 generations), hardly youth. And I am harsh because although society and its Institutions have done them a tremendous disservice, but it is only they themselves, individually, that can pull them out of the deep hole that has been dug for them.

One of the things I noticed in the exit interview is that every one of these boys (20's) were raised and educated solely by women... so it's not so unusual that they'd come to a job site and act like little girls.

Hard work was a stranger to them but a steady stream of excuses were familiar friends. Very very weak in many areas.

No sense of responsibility but if you notice the mistakes that occur daily in your life and ask the age of the person, you'll find that the Age of Incompetence has cheeped up to 44.

The oldsters are experienced and educated enough to see these things but the last 4 generations cannot and do not.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It depends on what people classify as a wage they can live off of. I know plenty of people who could get by if they redid their budget (or actually made one in the first place), but don't want to settle for a job at mcdonalds, even though they actually could live off that if they changed their lifestyle to do so. I personally had a job opportunity open up a year and a half ago, it meant less pay, but more stable pay, something I could make a budget off of. I'm a father of 4, and my wife stays home to take care of the kids and home. We struggled a bit at first, but are doing fairly well now and I'm not making even close to $100k a year. People really need to re-evaluate their lifestyles in this economy. I know of people who have lost their homes due to foreclosure, and now they're in an apartment, complaining about how small it is, but still living the same lifestyle, so they're getting no-where further in life. And people I went to school with seem to expect they can get out of school, get a $75k to $100k job, so they can work all week and go out clubbing on the weekends, every week. People like that are doomed to be on unemployment until they rethink their lifestyle and make some changes to live in reality.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

Maybe your company has unusually high demands of its employees? Maybe you expect too much from them at the pay you give them? No one should be a slave to anyone, at least if you believe in the teachings of christ. Most conservatives use jesus christ and the lord only when it suits them to....

Secondely if you hire the wrong people then what the heck do you really expect? Some people are fit for office jobs, some are fit for sporting carrers, some for hollywood, some for politicians, some for construction, some for airline pilots, some for scientists...everyone is built for something!

Most people who do a job just for the pay are lousy employees, but society is so #ed up because of our lousy politicians and ignorant voters, that people ARE FORCED to do odd jobs that they should NEVER HAVE DONE!

It is the system fault, not age groups. I know 20 year olds that act like 40 year olds and 40 year olds that act like 15 years old. Each person is different according to who raised them and where they were raised. You should philosophise more my friend. It is better than blaming the wrong people.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Sorry to say, cr@p OP. There ARE loads of jobs out there, well paying as well. People need to stop expecting and instead go out filling gaps like plumbing, or whatever.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Maybe your company has unusually high demands of its employees? Maybe you expect too much from them at the pay you give them? No one should be a slave to anyone, at least if you believe in the teachings of christ. Most conservatives use jesus christ and the lord only when it suits them to....

Secondely if you hire the wrong people then what the heck do you really expect? Some people are fit for office jobs, some are fit for sporting carrers, some for hollywood, some for politicians, some for construction, some for airline pilots, some for scientists...everyone is built for something!

Most people who do a job just for the pay are lousy employees, but society is so #ed up because of our lousy politicians and ignorant voters, that people ARE FORCED to do odd jobs that they should NEVER HAVE DONE!

It is the system fault, not age groups. I know 20 year olds that act like 40 year olds and 40 year olds that act like 15 years old. Each person is different according to who raised them and where they were raised. You should philosophise more my friend. It is better than blaming the wrong people.

Let me guess: From each according to their means. To each according to theirs needs?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrankPoster
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Sorry to say, cr@p OP. There ARE loads of jobs out there, well paying as well. People need to stop expecting and instead go out filling gaps like plumbing, or whatever.

You make very little sense with such specious arguements.

Unless of course you are here to troll and flame bait me!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

Yeah. It must be rocket science from the excessive fluoride everyone consumes. Who would have thought that before the reagan-thatcher era?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
THE LONG SLOW DEATH SPIRAL

1994-1997: computer consulting, network installation and administration. $25-$35/hr.

1998-2005: managed two nature preserves and a cattle allotment totalling over 100,000 acres. $44,000/yr plus on-site housing and robust benefits. Beat out thirteen other applicants.

2005-2008: customer relations for a builder and also worked flipping houses for a speculator. $20/hr part time.

2008-2009: did security at the Space Needle. $11.51/hr about 30-35 hours a week. Unknown number of applicants, but hired immediately.

2009-2010: water conservation work for a utility. $12.21/hr, no benefits. Beat out 48 other applicants.

2011: collected unemployment and did security for a resort at $8.25/hr.

2012: hired as a Lake Ranger. Beat out over 100 applicants. Job offer withdrawn due to pre-employment lower back assessment resulting in 25-lb. lifting limitation.

Now: Delivering furniture ($12/hr), working as a mover, and doing auto parts and accessory sales on Ebay.

Not where I expected to be at 50.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

if you have to have 5 jobs; you graduate 2nd grade? Find one hi paying job ... idiots i swear

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Some of them do if you are creative in offering something goods/service that big box stores can't offer. and that is variety You also have to be flexible enough so that you can move onto something else if they did.

One of my friend's from NY moved to NC and opened a daylily farm. He and his wife liked the flowers. He did research online about chromosomes, how to micro propagate them, how to grow them. They moved into a small 3 acre fixer upper (cheap) farm and hybridized daylilies and sell at flea markets and online. They make a very good living and really enjoy what they do. They sell them from 20US-300US depending on color/shape/rarity and make a decent living and have made their little farm into a masterpiece.

I went with them to a large flea market recently to sell there. Their truck with an attached trailer full of daylilies sold out in about 2-3 hours. They made a few thousand dollars. But, something like this depends on what people look for. In the South people will buy flowers before they will buy their kid food lol.

There is also a lady in a nearby town that rented a small building and sews several varieties of outfits. If you are a customer you come in pick the style of outfit you like, the fabric, the size and pick it up in a few days. Her supply of fabric comes from a local factory and she takes anything that may be dyed a slightly wrong color or cancelled orders. Her clothing is just a tad more than big box stores but, you can pick your own colors styles which is pretty neat so she does well.

I think people look too hard at finding conventional jobs where you work for someone else. Sometimes if you look outside the box you can find something that you actually like doing and make a living at it.

If you want a tip on how to make some money with flowers learn to micro propagate the flower Worsleya rayneri since they go from 50.00 for a few seeds to 1000.00US for a large plant. There is always a long list of people wanting a Worsleya even a yahoo group with people on waiting lists to buy one at very expensive prices.

An at home cloning kit is about 60.00. Do it and I'll buy several plants from you.

edit on 24/5/12 by toochaos4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by toochaos4u
Some of them do if you are creative in offering something goods/service that big box stores can't offer. and that is variety You also have to be flexible enough so that you can move onto something else if they did.

One of my friend's from NY moved to NC and opened a daylily farm. He and his wife liked the flowers. He did research online about chromosomes, how to micro propagate them, how to grow them. They moved into a small 3 acre fixer upper (cheap) farm and hybridized daylilies and sell at flea markets and online. They make a very good living and really enjoy what they do. They sell them from 20US-300US depending on color/shape/rarity and make a decent living and have made their little farm into a masterpiece.

I went with them to a large flea market recently to sell there. Their truck with an attached trailer full of daylilies sold out in about 2-3 hours. They made a few thousand dollars. But, something like this depends on what people look for. In the South people will buy flowers before they will buy their kid food lol.

There is also a lady in a nearby town that rented a small building and sews several varieties of outfits. If you are a customer you come in pick the style of outfit you like, the fabric, the size and pick it up in a few days. Her supply of fabric comes from a local factory and she takes anything that may be dyed a slightly wrong color or cancelled orders. Her clothing is just a tad more than big box stores but, you can pick your own colors styles which is pretty neat so she does well.

I think people look too hard at finding conventional jobs where you work for someone else. Sometimes if you look outside the box you can find something that you actually like doing and make a living at it.

If you want a tip on how to make some money with flowers learn to micro propagate the flower Worsleya rayneri since they go from 50.00 for a few seeds to 1000.00US for a large plant. There is always a long list of people wanting a Worsleya even a yahoo group with people on waiting lists to buy one at very expensive prices.

An at home cloning kit is about 60.00. Do it and I'll buy several plants from you.

edit on 24/5/12 by toochaos4u because: (no reason given)

absolute genius! i don't see any chaos! =]

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

"Unusually high demands?" I suppose that to many in the under 40 age group it does appear that employers expect too much when in reality employers simply expect an employee to be able to successfully accomplish the job that they applied for, and were hired for.

And most employers would immediately fire any worker who stated (as you do) that you would work harder for more money. Anyone who has been built to believe this can look forward to long periods of unemployment and crushing poverty.

The point here is not that "most people are lousy employees, etc.".... it is that the vast majority of people under 40 are lousy employees and as a result have little or no job opportunities. It's unfortunate that the few good ones suffer along with the losers.

Failing to take responsibility is another characteristic of these loser generations and is obvious in your post (and many others), but blaming politicians and the economy for what are largely your own shortcomings pretty well guarantees that your future is going to look like your past.

Most of you have been raised and educated by women who solidly occupy the bottom rungs of our society... why would anyone think that those kids will rise any higher than the women that beat them down to that level?

Point the finger in the right direction and where it belongs... ?

edit on 24-5-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brown Bear

"Unusually high demands?" I suppose that to many in the under 40 age group it does appear that employers expect too much when in reality employers simply expect an employee to be able to successfully accomplish the job that they applied for, and were hired for.

If people apply for the wrong job and the employer is stupid enough to hire them, then who's fault is it?

And most employers would immediately fire any worker who stated (as you do) that you would work harder for more money. Anyone who has been built to believe this can look forward to long periods of unemployment and crushing poverty.

Wow. Massive comprehension fail on your part. I was saying depending on the job requirements the pay should reflect the effort put in. If someone cleans asbestos from old buildings, paints high rise buildings, repairs degraded bridges,etc then naturally the pay should be higher. Also it is a well known fact that highely technical jobs pay more than non-technical jobs.

The point here is not that "most people are lousy employees, etc.".... it is that the vast majority of people under 40 are lousy employees and as a result have little or no job opportunities. It's unfortunate that the few good ones suffer along with the losers.

You have a serious attitude problem herding young folks into the "loser" group. It is bigotry! You should judge each person according to his/her merits and stop generalising so much. Maybe you had it very tough for your age group and feel everyone should go through the same hell. It does not work that way!

Failing to take responsibility is another characteristic of these loser generations and is obvious in your post (and many others), but blaming politicians and the economy for what are largely your own shortcomings pretty well guarantees that your future is going to look like your past.

It is the fault of ignorant voters who vote in stupid(and dare I say evil) politicians. Politicians who only care about pork barrel spending and appeasing the corporations who donate to their respective campaigns. The workers mean absolute # to them as denoted by the very low minimum wages, destruction of unions, lack of tariffs on imports, tax code loopholes for the wealthy, and continous illegal immigration.

I have no idea what planet you live on, but your views are extremely biased and dellusional!

Most of you have been raised and educated by women who solidly occupy the bottom rungs of our society... why would anyone think that those kids will rise any higher than the women that beat them down to that level?

Point the finger in the right direction and where it belongs... ?

Ok now you are putting down women. That is even more disgusting! Are you a racist as well; ie dislike minorities?

edit on 5/24/2012 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
AH. were all playing a game. the game is rigged. the only way to pursue happiness is not to play.

YES! Economics is Energy.

Slaves are unpaid workers.

Welcome to the Gulag. Want insight into how its organized?

Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
you know what else really sux about the jobs now? Employers are passing the buck--I understand they "cant afford to pay you", with TAXES and INFLATION and boo hoo---Employers are taking advantage of it. Shame on them.

"THEY CANT AFFORD TO PAY YOU!" What? Are they not earning income? Now you have to work for pennies? Or dont work at all?

In MY world, any employer that says they "cant afford to pay you xxx" is clueless about innovation, community, economics, NAFTA--resent history. Obviously their business wont survive and I would be wasting time working there. In MY world, If Im the employer(yes, I have had employees)-- need to provide something extra because were in a Depression just to keep good employees AND maintain a bit or morality--Id better find a way to offset minimum wage. Its the right thing to do. If you dont, as an employer, with the way things are going--not doing so will put you out of skilled quality workers and out of business.

Its tuff all over, but instead of try to work tward paying workers honestly IN SPITE of the economy (there are things like store credit, buying pools, in house discounts)....they do nothing. NOTHING. Im talking about asking for 12.00 and hour and being told they can only afford 9.00. (true story)

Id rather not work for someone that cant see whats happening to us as a whole. Id rather NOT work. Welfare or no, its a smidgen better than working for NOTHING.

We are now the Working Poor. Even the employers.
edit on 24-5-2012 by rainbowbear because: you know how it is

edit on 24-5-2012 by rainbowbear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
and dont EVEN get me started on what it takes to be an ARTIST in this economy!

"Art is not a job, its a waste of time, and does nothing for anyone. Go get a real job."

"Im a starving artist" is accepted and its OK.

"Artist is not a working title."

artist=poor

Ive heard it all....

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join