It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I agree about the hype behind instructing people to just open their own businesses. Up to 80% or more of businesses fail within a few years. People really have no idea how difficult things become for business owners, especially if you have employees. From the day you open shop you are NOT just a business owner - you are a paperwork generator for bureaucrats, you are a child-support collector, you are a tax collector for several types of government entities, you will be hounded by governement entities hungry for whatever they can shake you down for or more petty bureaucrats with their own agendas and power games. You have to make enough money to pay accountants, attorneys, bookkeepers, HR professionals...on and on, in addition to paying employees, taxes, overhead, marketing, and all kinds of other unforseen costs - if you do manage to make a few bucks, you will be villified as a ruthless selfish a-***.
Soon the entire point of much of your time becomes servicing the demands of empire. When you do fail, empire will punish you for years and years in ways that a wage slave cannot even begin to imagine. Not to mention if you used any kind of bank financing - you are just toast at that point. So now in addition to being unemployed, you will have remnants of your business failure (80% chance) following you around. Unless you have a lot of free cash behind your effort, it is really not advisable to be very motivated in this country. Unless you have an unwavering faith...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by anywho

I think we should move to China ... currently China sounds like the "land of opportunity", compared to what we have here.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Submarines

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by Submarines

The price of just one of those submarines would cover you living exspences for a lifetime! You and a few hundred, if not more! Families! Carry on working 5 jobs! Its your life your not living while you do the bidding of you slave handlers! LOL

Wow. And i thought this site was about denying ignorance. I am living a good life, not complaining and doing what is necessary to support my family. Oh, not to mention no handouts from anyone.

Doing the bidding of my slave handlers? Really? All I can do is shake my head. To bad ignorance isn't painful.

I want to see you try to take a vacation from those 5 jobs you have. See if you can get off of every one of them for a single week to take your family and travel somewhere for 7 days. I'm sure your kids want to go to Disney. but it's too much of a hassle to get numerous people to trade off weeks with you to align them all during the same time.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

You say that, but China is still poor. China is corrupt. There are zero employment rules so abuse and exploitation is rife. No welfare state. Go ahead, move to China, but bet you will be back within a week.

Reminds me of all these people who think Iran is a nice place, but don't have the strength of their convictions to (er) give it a go!

Jobs are not a "right". Back to the OP. It may be difficult, but often starting at the bottom is just the way it is. We cannot all have the luxury of slotting into our dream job from day one.

Personally, my advice is for people to start buying local. Difficult, I know. How many people have an iPad - made in China. If you don't buy one then give yourself a happy little hug. That way, the jobs stay at home.

Regards

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brown Bear
Come on youngsters... don't you realize that the situation you find yourself in regarding employment is not the job market, or lack thereof; the problem is YOU. But from my observations and experience you really are unaware of your many shortcomings.

Just last week my company hired and the quickly fired 3 boys in their 20's who were unable to do "man's" work. As a result of this and similar previous experiences, our new policy is to hire no one under 40 years of age... and certainly never the women that raised these nitwits.

Upon discussing this matter with peers within the field the shared consensus is that "these kids aren't worth a damn" and nobody is hiring them anywhere... nor can they expect employment in the future because they simply aren't worth $8 an hour.

If any of you kids intend to have a future you'd better figure out the reason this is happening because you're the "have-nots" and nobody can change this reality but you. Or conversely, enjoy your "careers" providing customer disservice at every level.

edit on 21-5-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

Reading through this thread is hilarious, can you guys really be serious? Are you unconscious to the reality that your words reveal the real nature of your problems but most would need a shower after examining the meaning of them.

It serves no good purpose to blame or credit anyone, or anything, for your success or failure except you. It's your life and if you're responsible you need a job to pay the bills unless you're smart enough to trick spouse, parents or government into doing it for you.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the crop of unemployed youngsters and their more established oldsters is that the oldsters were forced by circumstances of poverty to learn the lessons that their elders inflicted upon them so they could "succeed in life"... just as it's clear that at least 4 generations of recent youngsters have not.

Unfortunately events have come to a point where the youngsters have dug a very deep hole for themselves and those with the most to teach have washed their hands of them. Unfortunately that knowledge and experience will soon die with them after being largely untapped.

Soon, who will take care of these kids and does anyone expect them to do it for themselves? Or rebuild America either? My guess is that neither is going to do very well, and thus, the youngsters are destined to ride a downward wave to a very deep, and as yet unseen, bottom.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

There is a new and sinister direction many companies have taken - hope your employee shows skills for the first few months, then sabatoge them so the firm can take their hard work for themselves.
What you are saying is absolutely true. Everyone is "the expendable crew member" nowadays. What makes it worse is that every state is going to the "at will employment" law...this makes it easy as pie for them to do exactly what you describe. And everyone in the US knows that the EEOC is nothing but a sad joke. They were created to keep litigation down and mediate disputes, but now all they do is perform half-assed investigations and throw out cases based on nothing but their own personal bias. Everything is copacetic as long as THEY have jobs right?

edit on 21-5-2012 by tigertatzen because: error

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigertatzen
reply to post by ColoradoJens

There is a new and sinister direction many companies have taken - hope your employee shows skills for the first few months, then sabatoge them so the firm can take their hard work for themselves.

At my last job, I was in the lowest position. I got thank you notes for pointing out wording problems at the company web site. I also noticed that when I determined a rule was detrimental to the company and then made up a better rule, the company often issued my rule as the new rule. Now, I probably wasn't the only person who saw the logic, but I never heard of anyone getting thank you notes for the rule changes. At one point we had a meeting where we signed away our rights to any ideas we contributed to the company.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
reply to post by jhn7537

oh yes, quite complaining people!!!

people are noticing you and even those who haven't been touched by the recession are starting to take notice of what is going on!!! be quiet please!! ya see, I am over here making lots of money, that I wouldn't be making if this economy was healthy an on track!! I don't want it to change!!!

wonder how many of those new food stamp recipients are recently unemployed, now working minimum wage??
at least society put a moral responsibility onto the slave masters expecting them to keep their slaves fed, clothed, and sheltered. not so for the employers of today, oh no!!! not much of anything is expected of them as they take their tax credits and other bribes to move into a region of the country. and they can turn around and expect us taxpayers to feed, clothe, shelter, and even provide them with a cellphone so they have no excuse when they are called in the early, early morning hours to report to work and cover for a sick coworker!!!

sorry, but to me, a only job that is worth having is one that will supply the needs of the employer, unless they are willing to train you and provide you with the skills that will provide you with that better paying job in a reasonable amount of time! the only other option is, well, welfare, food stamps, ect, keeps growing larger and larger, and we all know how those conservatives seem to feel about those programs!!!!

most of the people in my shop are earning over minimum wage, and we have some on food stamps and the like! and there is no way anyone is gonna convince me that it isn't costing society more money for that money to flow through the various gov't agencies and to the people than it would for the danged employer to pay a decent wage to begin with!!!

conservatives want their cake and they want to eat it also....

either that or they want employees to be hungry, homeless, and sick, and dropping dead in the workplace!!

I have a feeling that the slaves were more expensive to keep than the present day min wage "employees", After all, plantation owners had to feed and house the slaves, not so in the 21 century. So minimum wage employment is most probably cheaper than owning slaves. Think about it, now all they do is have the workers show up, they throw them a pittance, and thats the end of their expense. If that worker eventually gets sick of it, or just gets sick, no worry, plenty of other desparate people who will take their place. The ruling class LOVES a loose labor market.
edit on 21-5-2012 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
This is a rebuttal to the 'other' thread espousing the wonders of a plentiful job market. Everything is okay because we can all just be creative and invent our jobs. It's that easy!

If all else fails just work 3 jobs and you'll be okay!

The problem is that the middle class is shrinking and allot of jobless people have worked for their degrees or invested blood sweat and tears in their trades and they're not going to settle for McDonalds. Most people aren't just trying to survive, they are trying to live, and perhaps have a chance at 'thriving.' If the job can't even meet basic needs, what's the point?

Sure you can start a business and watch it become successful, but the odds are it will not. You can try to invent something, but most likely it's been done, and the odds are it won't work out. Entrepreneurship is a risky business, and with limited resources, it's not worth it. With no source of income, you can't just keep trying to start a business and have it fail or you'll be on the street quick.

Reinventing yourself is another option, but again, not everyone can reinvent themselves so easily. Where is your source of income while you reinvent yourself? This is assuming you reinvent yourself and can find a job, then find yourself at the entry level again. Just because one person can do it and relate their positive anecdotal account does not mean it can be replicated by others. If it's that easy we wouldn't have a problem.

There's something bigger that needs to be addressed like outsourcing work and exporting jobs overseas. Something bigger like Mitt Romney coming in and laying off thousand of people so he can make his investors a nice profit. Something bigger like The Fed, debt, and economic bubbles that burst when the plutocrats play dice with our economy. Something bigger like the fraud, waste and abuse of our system.

So while you claim everything goes back to personal responsibility, you are ignoring economic factors that are putting hard working people on the streets and then mocking them because it worked out for you.

But of course, they must be lazy if it didn't work out for them!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...............WRONG

Freakin take a low paying job and move in with a family member. Simple as that.
The world degrades the word family and it doesnt exist anymore.

4 COMBINED low wage jobs will work. Pay for your own food and just help pay the bills to the house.
DOESNT take a freakin rocket scientist

Riiiggghhhhttt.... we're supposed to have 4 - 6 adults and 7 - 12 children living a $400,000.00 5 bedroom house because they want us to be slaves. Sure does sound like slavery to me.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Come on youngsters... don't you realize that the situation you find yourself in regarding employment is not the job market, or lack thereof; the problem is YOU. But from my observations and experience you really are unaware of your many shortcomings.

Just last week my company hired and the quickly fired 3 boys in their 20's who were unable to do "man's" work. As a result of this and similar previous experiences, our new policy is to hire no one under 40 years of age... and certainly never the women that raised these nitwits.

Upon discussing this matter with peers within the field the shared consensus is that "these kids aren't worth a damn" and nobody is hiring them anywhere... nor can they expect employment in the future because they simply aren't worth $8 an hour.

If any of you kids intend to have a future you'd better figure out the reason this is happening because you're the "have-nots" and nobody can change this reality but you. Or conversely, enjoy your "careers" providing customer disservice at every level.

Reading through this thread is hilarious, can you guys really be serious? Are you unconscious to the reality that your words reveal the real nature of your problems but most would need a shower after examining the meaning of them.

It serves no good purpose to blame or credit anyone, or anything, for your success or failure except you. It's your life and if you're responsible you need a job to pay the bills unless you're smart enough to trick spouse, parents or government into doing it for you.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the crop of unemployed youngsters and their more established oldsters is that the oldsters were forced by circumstances of poverty to learn the lessons that their elders inflicted upon them so they could "succeed in life"... just as it's clear that at least 4 generations of recent youngsters have not.

Unfortunately events have come to a point where the youngsters have dug a very deep hole for themselves and those with the most to teach have washed their hands of them. Unfortunately that knowledge and experience will soon die with them after being largely untapped.

Soon, who will take care of these kids and does anyone expect them to do it for themselves? Or rebuild America either? My guess is that neither is going to do very well, and thus, the youngsters are destined to ride a downward wave to a very deep, and as yet unseen, bottom.

I think you are basically using the beaten to death "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" argument. Its great to be self employed and self sufficient. But to do that you need to have access to the means to self sufficiency. To start a business, you need capital. To grow food you need land. It takes money to make money, and herein lies the problem. Your average American these days doesn't have access to either land or capital, but the top one percent has easy access to both. You will struggle to get a loan for a business, and most probably get laughed out of the bank. A plutocrat wanting to start a small business doesn't need a bank loan because they have plenty of capital. You will also struggle to put your child through college. A plutocrats kids will go to the best schools, and when they get out, a network of other plutocrats will ensure that they have a place at the table your kid can only dream of. We live in a two tiered society, one that propagandizes the delusion that anyone can make it if they try hard enough, whereas the reality is the entire system is stacked in favor of the haves against the have nots. There may be exceptions where a few of the serfs make it and are successful, but the vast majority of people in the US will be born poor, live poor and die poor.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I remember when my husband first got out of the navy with a blood clot disorder and I had been told I could work anymore but I looked anyway. While we looked he filed for unemployment, unemployment said since he got out on a disability he couldn't get unemployment because according to them he was disabled. So he filed for disability. They said he was employable. He went to the VA for his coumadin, they said he didn't have VA benefits. And on top of it all, McDonald's wouldn't hire him because they were afraid he'd cut himself and bleed to death and they'd be liable. He tried explaining that he clots, not bleeds. And all he wanted to do was mop floors, not cut food. Didn't matter. So we went to welfare. Some woman was in line ahead of us on her cell phone talking about how she just got out of jail and they better give her her benefits. She had so much gold all I could think was sell your damn jewelry and phone and then you can eat. Another woman in the food stamp line was telling her son to tell EBT that he pays her rent so he can get separate EBT. Eventually welfare sent us to the VA to force them to give us benefits, plus they put him on work order, which he liked doing and he kept hoping the city would hire him, but they never would. I worked nights at a convenience store until my daughter needed me home more because of her special needs.

See some people have the system all figured out. They know how to play the game. I've got a beat up chevy that's about to die, almost nothing to my name sellable, otherwise it would have been sold already. I'm living with my sister to save money. Sometimes we drive each other up the wall. But when I'm about to go crazy I swallow it because I know, if it weren't for her, I'd be on the streets. So I'd rather go crazy and have a place to live, than be homeless. This is the situation I must deal with right now in this stage of my life, so deal with it I must.

I went to college to be a special education teacher with a minor in journalism. I adore children. I would do anything for them. I'm hoping next month to take a class in sign language to freshen up what I use to know. I use to be very fluent in it. I'd like to become an interpreter, independently. I figure if I put an ad in the paper or put something at the courthouse I can interpret for children, or abused children and help them in some way. They way it doesn't bother my disability, and I can still be productive. I also love art. I'd love to take an art class to freshen up stuff I remember doing awhile back. I was good at it once. If I'm still good at it, I can do little paintings now and then, see if they sell at fairs or flea markets. If they do, then great I'll keep going and make supplement income. If not, no harm, no foul. At least I tried. I also do online surveys at MTurk Some can be as high as $10, $20, and some can be as low as .50. But it all adds up at the end of the month, and it's better than .00. So even if I'm disabled, at least I'm doing something to try and change my life and not just sitting on my butt. I only collect disability. And even though technically, because there's not always enough food, I should apply for food stamps, I see this as last resort. I'm trying very, very hard to go that last step because there are so many hoops. It's like filing a card to see Satan himself. Do you have investment income? Well if I had some, don't you think I would have sold it off so I could have put food in the house before I came here? Some of the questions are seriously common sense question and dumber than dumb.

UGH!!

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
For those who use welfare as a lifestyle choice and support system, what will you do if it were taken away? What if welfare ended in a month? The govt can do what it wants.

I cannot live on welfare. Welfare imprisons you. I have seen people on the reservation living off bia welfare checks for a long time. They do not get cut off. They are lifers on welfare. Some do nothing but drink until they die. The age that most natives live to be on the rez is early to mid fifties if you are that lucky. Welfare keeps you living in the winter with no heat. Welfare eventually kills you.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jefferyofsky

That is how the factories in the maritimes also do it. They bring in a bunch of jamaicans and haitians to work for peanuts in season. Of course, while they are here they are not paying rent or transportation, so it's easy to live off them peanuts. It is hard to keep up hope these days when the government empowers people to do things like that.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

I imagine digging ditches will make you a righteous minimum wage, what is that nowadays?
8 bucks or so an hour?
With gas being 4-5 bucks a gallon plus food, and rent, and utilities, and maybe daycare, health insurance, car insurance, phone (so your boss can call you when he/she wants you).
All makes sense to me, sounds just like slavery,
Oops wrong, Massa always took care of his slaves.
The new slave massa only cares about the bottom line, ala Romney.

This is why if people find themselves in a similar bind, they should opt out of the system.
Live simple and be your own master, make Massa tend his own crops.

Yup, it tough as hell to make ends meet. Im a single full time dad.
Monthly wages for me: $2500 after taxes
rent: $800
recurring monthly bills (utilities): $700
food aprox : $400
gas : $200
child care: $500(ex pays half)
It leaves me about an extra $150 a month, give or take. And my take home is going to drop another $120 a month in july as I have to start paying for a portion fo my health care so the company can save money. So I will be left with less then $50 at the end of each month. Could I work a second job? Sure, I would never see my little boy, and child care would just go up.

I just hope a major car repair doesnt come up. Luckily I dont have a car payment.

edit on 21-5-2012 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2012 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by A-Dub

my hubby is a journeyman tool and die maker, with around 30 years experience. right now he is working in a shop that has three people in it, him, the boss, and the boss's wife who does the bookkeeping and such. he can do anything they put in front of him and that is why they can get by with just the one empoyee.

he ain't making much more than that ten an hour, and he's worked for less than ten a few times in his life!!

I have around ten years experience in the screen printing business and don't even make the ten,so I don't want to hear about it...lol....

still looking for the machinists that are making $70,000 a year, a hundred thousand with overtime by the way.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I just got fired from my job. Slept through a shift because I wrote down the schedule wrong. They only keep one schedule taped on the office door. I've asked them MULTIPLE times if they could email the schedule out like a ton of other work places do. They said no, it's too hard, they'd have I set up a new email account or some crap. (my dad said. No, they're just plain GodD# lazy.)

I'm so HAPPY. I HATED that job. Everyone that works there does. I feel so freaking free
The gas station I always go to told me to apply for there because they love me.
Like honestly. A weight has been lifted off my shoulders. After one and a half years of being treated like crap. I'm done. Couldn't be happier.

(I'm 19 btw. So don't rag on me too hard.)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

Bang ON Brother, living paycheck to paycheck is not LIVING it is slavery or survival at best.
I choose not to be a slave so as soon as I could, I took what was mine and opted out of their system.
I pray you good fortune and a comfortable journey.
My brats are all outta the house, the wife and I are closing plans to move 100% off grid.
Hopefully the drive to Grandma and Grandpas house will be too long and remote for the kids to want to move back in.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I wonder if they ain't hyping up the idea of starting you own business because they want us all to go running to the sba and getting small business loans...
they want the debt, it's $$$ to them and they love the idea that it is back by the US taxpayer!!

same with the "go should go back to school bit"...
ya right........
another gov't backed loan that will be harder than all heck to pay back working your low paying minimum wage job!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
I wonder if they ain't hyping up the idea of starting you own business because they want us all to go running to the sba and getting small business loans...
they want the debt, it's $$$ to them and they love the idea that it is back by the US taxpayer!!

i think they are probably doing it because they want you to start your own business.

same with the "go should go back to school bit"...
ya right........
another gov't backed loan that will be harder than all heck to pay back working your low paying minimum wage job!

yup.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by novemberecho
I just got fired from my job. Slept through a shift because I wrote down the schedule wrong. They only keep one schedule taped on the office door. I've asked them MULTIPLE times if they could email the schedule out like a ton of other work places do. They said no, it's too hard, they'd have I set up a new email account or some crap. (my dad said. No, they're just plain GodD# lazy.)

hehe. are you sure they're the lazy ones?

I'm so HAPPY. I HATED that job. Everyone that works there does. I feel so freaking free
The gas station I always go to told me to apply for there because they love me.
Like honestly. A weight has been lifted off my shoulders. After one and a half years of being treated like crap. I'm done. Couldn't be happier.

(I'm 19 btw. So don't rag on me too hard.)

yay! me toooooo! spread your happiness as far as you can!

edit on 21/5/12 by mzungu because: i can't spell to save your life

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mzungu

Haha. Yeah. Understandable. But yeah.
While the employees are working their asses off with a line to the door, the managers are in the office playing games in their phone. (no lie, everyone has seen and knows.)

I worked a double and got yelled at for snacking on a salad that the line messed up. (so it would have been thrown out)
I worked 14 hours Straight that day, and got yelled at for eating (during down time) a salad that would have been tossed.
And the manager that yelled at me is a lady who TAKES food from the bakery without paying (that the customers could have BOUGHT.) and takes it in the back and eats it and talks while te employees are working their asses off, with a line to the door.
If ANY employee took something without paying, theyd be fired. Not to mention, she said that of she foud anyone in the back eating ANYTHING, they'd get fired. This girl who had worked there for a year gave her friend a cup for soda after they ordered a meal, and got fired for it.
They're hypocritical. To extremes.
I've seen the GM make 5 people cry. Two of them were men.
She's a b#. Never says please, never says thank you. Criticizes people ALL THE TIME.
And it's hilarious. Because she will tell people that they are doing something wrong, but she doesn't KNOW ANYTHING on te menu. She'd always have to look it up or ask someone else. She's stupid and lazy. And rude. Just plain rude. She talked sh# about employees TO OTHER employees.
She thrives off drama.
It got to the point where I wanted to say. "I respect you ONLY BECAUSE you're my authority figure and I have to. But If you want me to respect you as an ADULT and a MANAGER, then you'd better start acting like one."
My dad said he didn't care (my father is very rigid, army guy, now runs a court house) and he said that it was okay.
He KNOWS how crappy it is there. That I've called him Multiple times, almost in tears, asking If he could me a job at his court house because I was so sick of that s#hole.

Haha rant over. Sorry. That felt good. Hated that place xD.

edit on 21-5-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join