It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+160 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
This is a rebuttal to the 'other' thread espousing the wonders of a plentiful job market. Everything is okay because we can all just be creative and invent our jobs. It's that easy!

If all else fails just work 3 jobs and you'll be okay!

The problem is that the middle class is shrinking and allot of jobless people have worked for their degrees or invested blood sweat and tears in their trades and they're not going to settle for McDonalds. Most people aren't just trying to survive, they are trying to live, and perhaps have a chance at 'thriving.' If the job can't even meet basic needs, what's the point?

Sure you can start a business and watch it become successful, but the odds are it will not. You can try to invent something, but most likely it's been done, and the odds are it won't work out. Entrepreneurship is a risky business, and with limited resources, it's not worth it. With no source of income, you can't just keep trying to start a business and have it fail or you'll be on the street quick.

Reinventing yourself is another option, but again, not everyone can reinvent themselves so easily. Where is your source of income while you reinvent yourself? This is assuming you reinvent yourself and can find a job, then find yourself at the entry level again. Just because one person can do it and relate their positive anecdotal account does not mean it can be replicated by others. If it's that easy we wouldn't have a problem.

There's something bigger that needs to be addressed like outsourcing work and exporting jobs overseas. Something bigger like Mitt Romney coming in and laying off thousand of people so he can make his investors a nice profit. Something bigger like The Fed, debt, and economic bubbles that burst when the plutocrats play dice with our economy. Something bigger like the fraud, waste and abuse of our system.

So while you claim everything goes back to personal responsibility, you are ignoring economic factors that are putting hard working people on the streets and then mocking them because it worked out for you.

But of course, they must be lazy if it didn't work out for them!

+17 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I hate it when people do this. This is now the THIRD jobs thread!

Why couldnt you just post your views on that thread?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+25 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monkeygod333

You mean second thread?

In any case lots of people make threads to counter other threads. It's nothing new.

+8 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
You have very good points. I am self employed which usually means since most people don't have the extra money to spend on live on very little money. I do not make a living wage but I do get help from my disablity benefits.
I don't have the money to support advertising for my business so I mainly look for contract work which is few and far between. In order to start any type of business you really need money. I have no money for advertising and do only free ads. I used to spend hours on creating web sites, creating free ads and even had a blog talk radio show. The problem is the free web sites started dwindling and blog talk went to mostly paid unless you want a very short show. At the end of the day no one really cared. I am a business and life coach yet no one had the money to spend on my services.
So I went back to college for my second masters in adult education yet although college is in high demand instructors are not. I think I have reinvented myself 5 times in the past 5 years. Nothing really seems to work.
We are supposed just accept living on less and less money. I have even heard some republicans talk about elminating the minuim wage. The problem is the game is rigged for the rich to get all the money and us to have nothing. We can only do the best we can and even all the hard work can get you no where.

+9 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I will agree that there are jobs that do not pay living wages. BUT what are we supposed to do then? Live on welfare? I'm sorry but welfare is not a lifestyle choice for me, and my parents did not raise me up to just take and take and sit on my behind. I'd rather dig ditches than sit on my duff and take my monthly check. I will work as long as I can, and I have multiple sclerosis and a heart condition. I cannot abide laziness. Welfare is a hand UP, not a lifestyle.

+26 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

Just because someone is not working or is not working enough does not make them lazy. What is people's obsession with thinking people are lazy?

We all have unique situations that put us where we are at in life. Welfare is never a choice; not every benefit is welfare though, Social Security and Social Security Disablity is not welfare nor is medicare; we all pay into those systems. Furthermore; unemployment is not welfare since in order to get it you had to have worked in the recent past.
edit on 20-5-2012 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Keep buying Chinese Made crap.

Couldn't hurt/help oh, never mind.

I hear ya.

+56 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
It used to be that you were able to work a nice 40 hr/week job and have time for yourself and raising a good family, but now you have to work 2 - 3 jobs while no time for family and it all disintegrates; It is all part of the plan.

+37 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I imagine digging ditches will make you a righteous minimum wage, what is that nowadays?
8 bucks or so an hour?
With gas being 4-5 bucks a gallon plus food, and rent, and utilities, and maybe daycare, health insurance, car insurance, phone (so your boss can call you when he/she wants you).
All makes sense to me, sounds just like slavery,
Oops wrong, Massa always took care of his slaves.
The new slave massa only cares about the bottom line, ala Romney.

This is why if people find themselves in a similar bind, they should opt out of the system.
Live simple and be your own master, make Massa tend his own crops.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The biggest underlying problem/ reason that everything is so damn expensive(after you factor in the value of the American dollar) is the need for energy. This is 2012 we should have a clean source of immense energy that is availible to ALL people, not just the ones that keep these devices under wraps. Several devices have been invented over the years that can produce more energy than is requried to operate them but those in power silence them up to keep the energy companies profit margin bigger than ever.

This practice will have to go the way of Ole Yeller` if we are going to be able to advance as a species, move the bottom line up and the top will reach new heights.

+9 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The banks and the elite in no way wants to pay people livable wages. If people were getting these wages then they wouldn't need credit as much because they would have the cash to pay for things. This doesn't benefit the banks as much as someone who has to be a slave to the bank because of massive debt.

+61 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Its not your "style" to be on welfare? LOL please don't make me LAUGH, why on Earth do you pay into the tax system then? Huh? In my last temporary job, for 6 months I was taxed £140 each slip, £840 together, jobless for 2 months I've took £318 ish? I don't feel guitly!!

I back this thread 100%... After being jobless for nearly 2 months, I FINALLY found, and got a position as apprentice receptionist at the Chamber of Commerce. Operative words there being APPRENTICE and FINALLY!

Do you know what's happened in the UK? Do you know the government have actually PHASHED out regualr jobs? Do you know how?

It was and is, quite the scandal, they TOLD everyone at the job center it was MANDATORY to work 40 hours unpaid work exsperience OR there benefit (of £53-£67 pw) will be STOPPED.... They got thousands of us slaves to do these courses for BIG companies.... For it to be LATER revealed that they were NOT mandatory. They tried hiding and editting their guidelines online and all sorts!

THEN you will find, anything that WAS a job as been convieniently RENAMED as an "Apprenticeship" so they can pay you *£2.30* an hour!!

E.g: Apprentice customer service

Apprentice Floor assistant!!!

What the hell? Apprentice ships should be reserved for skilled trades only!

Most apprenticeships offer a fixed rate of £75 each week, for 40 hours of your life, precisly £8 pounds better than than the job seekers benefit! (For those age 25 and above, us younguns don't even see that much!)

What does £8 get you? 2 days on the bus!!

I find my self wondering how I'm going to survive on this apprenticeship, when bus fair will cost me almost £20 each week, minus my £25 keep each week... That will leave me £30 pounds.

I can quickly say goodbye to my aspirations of getting a little motor soon, AND leaving home, and going on any holidays, infact can I even afford a hair cut next week??? Can I afford to keep my cat? What about those new work shirts I needed?

Ohh noo... Not to worry, because there's loads of jobs out there aren't there???!!! That's what I thought!

Now... Let's hunt down the bankers and MPs and take this world back!

ETA: ill also take a bash at guessing your American? Alpologies if I'm wrong, but instead of hating on the welfare recievers, why don't you put that much energy into protesting against the federal reserve? The day that bank came into existence, by means of a conpiratory plot on jekkyl island was the day American history was already wrote!

Heck you've even had 3 presisdents assasinated for trying to warn the public about that bank, and for trying to break away from it,

So get off your high f*ckin horse and be a true patriot!

Ignorant people make my blood boil!
edit on 20-5-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
How about the folks that have been layed off several times in the last three years only to find jobs IN THEIR FIELD and seeing a 30% cut every time the find a new job! That is happening in the construction trades now with the pressure of the illegals! Our costs of living don't go down but our damned wages sure seem too!

Zindo

+5 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Carefull! Might wanna check your not victim to a conspiracy being laid off that many times!

We recently found out 4000 construction workers had been blacklisted from our major companies over here for being part of a union!! LOL anyone who exercises their rights are automatic terrorists now!

NWO is a scary aspect indeed.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Originally posted by Monkeygod333

You mean second thread?

In any case lots of people make threads to counter other threads. It's nothing new.

No he means 3 threads...

Thread #1 posted 5/18/2012
www.abovetopsecret.com...

rebuttal thread #2 posted 5/19/2012
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and now your thread which is a rebuttal of the rebuttal.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

And your avatar speaks a thousand words!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
good thread star and flag

not to mention employers whos income has dwindled to below the amount of their own personal bills, ( or crack habits) so then they can't pay the full wages owed....or worse go bankrupt just before pay day...

on top of the non living wage...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Just how much money do people think they need to live and be happy? Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, especially if you have dependents, but if you are single and cannot find a job in your field then suck it up, go to that job you thinks beneath you, and you may learn something about character and hard work.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
the economy is so bad illegal mexican immigration is negative for the first time since the great depression
which was also as manufactured as the situation is today...

several million starved in the last great depression to end all depressions
edit on 20-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I personally jungle 5 jobs. This also allows my wife to be a stay at home mom.
We have money to put away, pay for all our bills, and health insurance. We eat well, AND have a social life.

You lazy a$$ people need to suck it up and go to work and quit complaining!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join