It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by Jordan River

You are doing classic greek philosophy rhetoric

Well thanks for letting me know.

Is classic greek philosophy rhetoric also considered trollish? I must have done it in a past life.

It is when the sole purpose for it's use is to attempt to derail the thread.
2nd

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

If you are trying to say that only politically right leaning individuals can possibly be Christians, then your ignorance and bigotry is shouting out loud and clear for all to hear. Funny, you would not be the first person to tell me that a liberal can't possibly be a Christian, even if Christ's teaching would suggest a socially conscious lifestyle.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanFromCan

And more out of context cherry picking from the bible to justify out of context cherry picking from the bible to justify using the bible as a tool to promote hate and bigotry, why am I not surprised with this coming from you.

What was I cherry picking? I am not the one bludgeoning people about chastity and hatred of specific women in the GOP. Did you forget that was also in Savage's nasty little diatribe? What kind of Christian are you that you support that?

Here is Savage telling Christian teens to ingore what is in the bible. Is this the sage advice you give to your youth group? What other issues do you discuss?
edit on 30-4-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

Mr. Savage's "diatribe" as you put it, was not endorsing the mistreatment of certain classes of people such as women, but rather, pointing the hypocrisy of following one part of Leviticus, that pertaining to gays, and not the other's, pertaining to not leaving the house on your period, stoning non-virgin brides, stoning children for being subordinate, stoning people who worked on the sabbath, etc. But you knew that already.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

reply to post by RyanFromCan

Pay attention to the teachings of the bible? Savage is explicitly telling students to ignore the bible. I just don't believe you any more. I think you are posing as a youth group leader but just crusader for leftist ideals.

What I hear you saying is that as a leader of a Christian youth group, you support a man who tells students to ignore the bible.

No, Savage is explicitly pointing out the hypocrisy in applying one part of the Bible selectively, but not other parts because they do not apply to modern times. Most Christians (the not fundamentalist radical hating kind that is) acknowledge there is a great deal of inaccuracy, story telling, and contradiction in the Bible, it was written by man after all.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

He clearly does not believe in the bible, but was using it as a tool, a weapon to bludgeon Christian teens, in some odd effort to try and convince them to come his way. I believe that was the point I was trying to make. So, yes in that fashion he was attacking the teachings of the bible and those who follow it. Or he might have been using the Christian bible example to make an example of the Christians in front of their secular peers. Perhaps both. Using ridicule to accomplish a goal is not so far fetched is it. It is part of the Alinsky way.

he was using 'old testament' just like our friend is trying to convince you English is not a Christian language when it clearly is the commoners language (Jesus was a common man also) William Tyndale translated the Bible into english exclaiming these words..

John Foxe describes an argument with a "learned" but "blasphemous" clergyman, who had asserted to Tyndale that, "We had better be without God's laws than the Pope's." Swelling with emotion, Tyndale responded:

"I defy the Pope, and all his laws; and if God spares my life, ere many years, I will cause the boy that driveth the plow to know more of the Scriptures than thou dost!"

it is quite possible and even though we have assimilated Latin into the English language, and surpassed it... that Latin is the language of the devil.

Google Video Link

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Journalism Conference Organizers Apologize For Savage Invite

The National Scholastic Press Association and the Journalism Education Association – the organizations that invited bully extraordinaire Dan Savage to speak at their National High School Journalism Conference – have issued a press release denouncing Savage’s comments at the conference:

At one of the plenary keynote sessions of the two organizations’ semi-annual conventions, Mr. Dan Savage had been invited to share with students the power of social media in today's world as well as speak about the problem of bullying of gay youth, an issue all too familiar in many American schools. Mr. Savage’s comments on April 13 veered from the topic however. At a point in his speech he criticized the Bible, at times using vulgar language. An immediate consequence was that some students and advisers walked out on the speech.
www.breitbart.com...
NSPA and JEA consider Mr. Savage’s use of harsh language and profanity to be inappropriate and offensive to many in attendance. This is not what our organizations expected. In his attempt to denounce bullying, Mr. Savage belittled the faith of others – an action that we do not support. Ridicule of others’ faith has no place in our programs, any more than ridicule of the LGBT community would.

Student journalism, like professional journalism, is built on the foundation of free speech. It should not shy away from controversial topics and viewpoints. But it should promote and engage in civil discourse. Mr. Savage’s speech fell short of that standard, and for this our organizations apologize.

For people that think what Savage had to say was fine,

shame.

Let's see the press release, not someones biased opinion of it please, as far as I can see, this blog merely mentioned there was a press release, the rest is pure biased opinion lacking any cited back up.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

you mean a sexual virgin or a spiritual virgin?

you may want to ask a Christian whose read the old testament... I was although handed a small book called the New Testament with nothing else before it.

cool words and actions in that new testament book in my opinion.

remember friend... you are speaking to an American who practices Heavy Metal as a religion.

edit on 30-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname

How did he veer off? The criticism by Savage on justification of gay bullying by people that use passages of the bible is completely on topic. How is that not on topic?

Vulgar language? He said BS, big deal, dealing with high school kids here, they use words like BS on a daily basis.

Immediate is right though, they immediately started walking out upon hearing the word bible.

What a load off bull

I agree with you.

I read several pages of posts - - before I watched the video. I was expecting an angry tirade of colorful 4 letter words attacking Christianity and students.

Could they dramatize this any more? He said BS. Seriously!!! That is the swear word "they" are all in a rage about?

And Yes! At the mention of "bible" - - students got up and walked out. They had no idea what he was going to say.

And everything he said is absolutely true. Should we post the Dr. Laura Leviticus letter now?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

The member was only stating that if you balk at sharia law, surely you do at biblical law?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

reply to post by SisyphusRide

in sheer numbers and Majorities yes I am, they are also the same theistic belief system called Monotheism which includes Judaism.

Yes, all the Abrahamic faiths, which share Leviticus, Sharia law is based on Leviticus, but I am willing to bet the world that you would be one of the loudest screamers if someone wanted to impose sharia law on you, very hypocritical of you.

American law is what it is... wholly American which is based on Protestant version of Christianity. America is just over 200 year old remember? We don't cut your hand off here if you steal nor do we throw homosexuals from a cliff.

I believe we are a little more civilized than that... those Islams must be scaring the heck outta the homosexual community? for them to turn around and attack the very system which protects them.

oh the hypocrisy... you know I've been thinking most of the day since my earlier posts what we can call the gay sinful and forbidden union other than marriage... I keep drawing blanks man, I guess the homosexual community is just going to have to figure that out? maybe the decision can be left to the community elders.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide

American law is what it is... wholly American which is based on Protestant version of Christianity. America is just over 200 year old remember? We don't cut your hand off here if you steal nor do we throw homosexuals from a cliff.

Amish and some Jewish sects in America have their own law.

Shaira law would be the same as those.

Its no big deal.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

So now I have to use my Christian name as my screen name? Look, you are telling us here that you support someone who tells people to ignore the bible. It does not sound genuine to me. Maybe you just haven't thought through it.

Yet again with putting words in my mouth. I was pointing out the hypocrisy by you of demanding to know personal details about me when you are not so much as willing to reveal your first (Christian) name. Mr. savage was not telling anyone to ignore the Bible, he was telling people to ignore not just the parts of Leviticus that are inconvenient, but also the parts they like to use to justify their bigotry, if they were going to ignore the other parts as well.

My screen name has nothing to do with any of this. I simply doubt the genuineness of your stance, just like I doubt seriously that Savage takes the bible seriously. I'm not feeling guilty either.

You are right, your screen name has nothing to do with this, in fact, your screen name is somewhat against the beliefs you claim to uphold. your lack of willingness to let any identifying information about yourself be seen while demanding the personal details of someone who is not afraid to identify themselves by their first (Christian) name is telling of the hypocrisy you live by.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Would you mind terribly citing me where Sharia Law originates from Leviticus? Perhaps there are similiarities, but I would appreciate your being very specific in citing the origin of Sharia Law.

Anyone who claims to know the Bible, would know that the Ishmaelites (where Islam started) came from the same Jewish source as Christians, and shared the books of Moses, the Pentateuch, with the Laws as laid out in Leviticus. Are you playing dumb?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

“We can learn to ignore the (BS) in the Bible about gay people, the same way we have learned to ignore the (BS) in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery, about dinner, about farming, about menstruation, about virginity, about masturbation. We ignore (BS) in the Bible about all sorts of things,” he told an applauding crowd at the Journalism Education Association conference, prompting dozens of Christian students to walk out

blog.chron.com...

Yes, you are right, I should not have asked you for such personally identifying information such as names of groups.

regarding my screen name

Webster's Bible Translation
The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thy eye be single, thy whole body will be full of light.

Matthew 6:22

I have said I believe that truth walks in more than one religion, and those would include Hindu and Buddhist.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Actually, American law originates from British Common Law, and the Magna Carta, it is not Christian based, as a matter of fact, The fathers of the constitution were very careful to separate religion an law beyond stating that the law could not dictate how or what religion a person could practice, give freedom of religion, and prevent the government from interfering in religion or the practicing of it.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

“We can learn to ignore the (BS) in the Bible about gay people, the same way we have learned to ignore the (BS) in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery, about dinner, about farming, about menstruation, about virginity, about masturbation. We ignore (BS) in the Bible about all sorts of things,” he told an applauding crowd at the Journalism Education Association conference, prompting dozens of Christian students to walk out

blog.chron.com...

Yes, you are right, I should not have asked you for such personally identifying information such as names of groups.

You know full well giving you such information as exactly which church I attend and which youth group I lead, and the "website" (we don't have one, google Salvation Army if you must have a website) of our group would lead to personally identifying information one, or several could use to impersonate, harass, or worse.

regarding my screen name

Webster's Bible Translation
The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thy eye be single, thy whole body will be full of light.

Matthew 6:22

I have said I believe that truth walks in more than one religion, and those would include Hindu and Buddhist.

Oh, I see, you are a devout Christian Hindu Buddhist, my bad, what church was that again?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Actually, American law originates from British Common Law, and the Magna Carta, it is not Christian based, as a matter of fact, The fathers of the constitution were very careful to separate religion an law beyond stating that the law could not dictate how or what religion a person could practice, give freedom of religion, and prevent the government from interfering in religion or the practicing of it.

Yes - and the first 2 drafts of the constitution did not have Creator at the end.

It was added in to the 3rd draft. It represents the Deist concept of Creator.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by SisyphusRide

Amish and some Jewish sects in America have their own law.

Shaira law would be the same as those.

Its no big deal.

hey doll where ya been

I know it's no big deal to we Americans (of all races and creeds / the face of the multitudes)

our system is designed to keep it from infiltration...

sad though England and France
it breaks my heart to see them let the Islams practice their ways right inside Christendom and beside the the citizens of these two nations.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

The fathers of the constitution were very careful to separate religion an law beyond stating that the law could not dictate how or what religion a person could practice, give freedom of religion, and prevent the government from interfering in religion or the practicing of it.

And this is why Savage should stay out of religion, when it comes to teenagers.
He ambushed these young people and then insulted them.
He should stay in his field of sex journalism.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join