It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 48
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!

This thread is badly off topic.
The off topic, rude, hateful remarks stop NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!.

This is what the topic is:

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

edit on Mon Apr 30 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

no I don't know of him... I got to the cussing part in the video in the very second post an shewed him off...

they'll figure it out, I have faith in my nation and its founding ideals.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

As I have sad before, it is impossible for a gay man to talk about bullying without bringing up the misuse of the Bible as justification for bullying, as that is where the vast Majority of it comes from.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

To quote myself:

I take it you think he should have stood at the podium and simply said:

"HERP DERP, I am here today to talk to you about bullying, but I can't mention anything I have experienced in the way of bullying, or how people justified the bullying of me as a gay man because it means I would have to mention this special book, and mentioning this special book and how it is selectively used, and the hypocrisy in doing so might offend some people in this crowd, born and raised with ultra thin skins, who can't stand even the mere thought of the hypocrisy in selectively following said book to justify the actions of those who bullied me being mentioned....Herp DERP
Derp"

Is that what he should have said? I am sure there would have been no difference in the manufactured outrage shown.

It is simple, a gay man cannot possibly talk about bullying without mentioning the Bible as that is the genesis and justification by most who do the bullying. A gay man trying to talk about bullying in the realm of that world as he knows it without mentioning the Bible would have precious little to say. Anybody that knows the least bit about the fight for equality for gays would know this. Your lack of understanding this either displays ignorance, or willful ignorance, both being very sad, regardless of your stance on the Bible, or Christianity.

Does that clear it up for you?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanFromCan
reply to post by SisyphusRide

American law is what it is... wholly American which is based on Protestant version of Christianity. America is just over 200 year old remember? We don't cut your hand off here if you steal nor do we throw homosexuals from a cliff.

Actually, American law originates from British Common Law, and the Magna Carta, it is not Christian based, as a matter of fact, The fathers of the constitution were very careful to separate religion an law beyond stating that the law could not dictate how or what religion a person could practice, give freedom of religion, and prevent the government from interfering in religion or the practicing of it.

we are no longer with the British Church State, we have assimilated the good stuff... puked out the rest... then declared independence.

this is the New World my friend (where I live anyway) everything across the pond is old school imo, we have surpassed it.

let gays be gays who cares? American law is mandated by we the people in real time... it changes and adjusts.

the homosexual community simply needs to call their "whatever it is" something else.

/a new word

edit on 30-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

we are no longer with the British Church State, we have assimilated the good stuff... puked out the rest and declared independence.

this is the New World my friend (where I live anyway) everything across the pond is old school imo, we have surpassed it.

let gays be gays who cares? American law is mandated by we the people in real time... it changes and adjusts.

the homosexual community simply needs to call their "whatever it is" something else.

/a new word

You are off topic again, this is not about what gays call marriage, or what the church calls holy matrimony. or the fact that US law is secular and originates from British common law, and the Magna Carta, this is about "christians" claiming they are being persecuted by a gay man because he pointed out their hypocrisy, and the manufactured outrage that has ensued.

Oddly, your point about American law changing as time goes own though, it has been a while since the last amendment was passed, is true. That is exactly the reason "the Law" as written in Leviticus is not longer applicable today in modern society. We consider people who strike their children for acting out as abusers, yet the Bible teaches us to stone them, till death. We allow women who are on their menstrual cycle to not only bee seen in public, but interact with the public, we even put tampon and sanitary napkin disposal methods, and dispensers in public washrooms for them.

Thank you for making my point, and Dan Savage's in a round about way.
edit on 4/30/2012 by RyanFromCan because: spelling, grammar

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide

no I don't know of him... I got to the cussing part in the video in the very second post an shewed him off...

they'll figure it out, I have faith in my nation and its founding ideals.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. If it is on topic please repost it.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holodomor

I believe this is the video of the conference in question...the guy has an agenda, to be sure. And I personally think he handled his speech wrong - he has no right to get upset or mock those people who walked out; he was being intentionally aggressive and spiteful toward something in a way that had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
edit on 27-4-2012 by Holodomor because: (no reason given)

Moron glasses indeed, I agree with everything we said, a text written in bronze age has no place in the laws of this country or any country.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
From a FREE THOUGHT blog - - for another perspective.

Read the Comments on the site.

Students Walk Out On Dan Savage Criticizing The Bible

April 28, 2012 at 9:12 pm Daniel Fincke

This is fantastic: a living symbolic depiction of Bible believers’ closed-minded resistance to challenges that they cannot answer and so refuse to even listen to. And Savage’s response to their walking out is great too. It’s like a work of art but real.

Plug your ears and sing “la la la” all you want, Christians, but the truth does not change on that account.

freethoughtblogs.com...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Make sure you read comments on site following full article.

Dan Savage Points Out the Hypocrisy in the Bible… So Young Journalists Walk Out on Him

April 29, 2012 By Hemant Mehta

Does anyone really think another speaker offering virtually the same content — but without the mockery and swearing — would have been perfectly well-received? I don’t. The moment you point out the hypocrisy in the Bible, people are bound to get upset. You’re hurting their brains with your honesty.

I’m actually surprised that those students walked out of the room. Even if you didn’t like what Savage was saying, isn’t that a story worth writing about?! You can’t cover a story if you ignore what your subject is saying, even if it goes against your personal beliefs.

The kids who walked out of that room weren’t “proud Christians.” They were bad journalists

.www.patheos.com...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Dan Savage on bullying and homosexuality

April 29, 2012
Mano Singham - theoretical physicist

Below is a short clip from an anti-bullying talk he gave at a high school journalism conference. It is a terrific clip but notice how when he pinpoints how the Bible is the basis for so much of anti-gay bullying, some of the students walk out. They just can’t handle the fact that their beloved holy book has so much hateful stuff in it.

But they cannot avoid the truth forever. They are going to face it over and over again from all sides.

freethoughtblogs.com...

edit on 1-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Dan Savage on bullying and homosexuality

April 29, 2012
Mano Singham - theoretical physicist

Below is a short clip from an anti-bullying talk he gave at a high school journalism conference. It is a terrific clip but notice how when he pinpoints how the Bible is the basis for so much of anti-gay bullying, some of the students walk out. They just can’t handle the fact that their beloved holy book has so much hateful stuff in it.

But they cannot avoid the truth forever. They are going to face it over and over again from all sides.

freethoughtblogs.com...

edit on 1-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

Of course this is meaningless trash unless there is a specific writting here.
Duh! YA KNOW like some well know pinpoint of the speaker DAN SAVAGE calling children PANCY ASS. That is the topic. Not bibles and theoretical SHRINKS OMG Pack it IN NO not you DAN ljb

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Make sure you read comments on site following full article.

Dan Savage Points Out the Hypocrisy in the Bible… So Young Journalists Walk Out on Him

April 29, 2012 By Hemant Mehta

Does anyone really think another speaker offering virtually the same content — but without the mockery and swearing — would have been perfectly well-received? I don’t. The moment you point out the hypocrisy in the Bible, people are bound to get upset. You’re hurting their brains with your honesty.

I’m actually surprised that those students walked out of the room. Even if you didn’t like what Savage was saying, isn’t that a story worth writing about?! You can’t cover a story if you ignore what your subject is saying, even if it goes against your personal beliefs.

The kids who walked out of that room weren’t “proud Christians.” They were bad journalists

.www.patheos.com...

Not important here the meathead mocked and swore.
He is a product of the "P" word
edit on 5/1/2012 by longjohnbritches because: P P P P P word

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

He didn't call any young adult journalism students "pansy assed", he described the actions of "christians" who use the abuse the Bible as a hate tool and justification for bullying, and their manufactured outrage at the hypocrisy being brought up as "pansy assed"

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Not important here the meathead mocked and swore. He is a product of the "P" word

The irony of your one sentence statement is astounding, First of Dan savage did not swear by today's standards, I would hate to see your ears burning as you waked down the halls of the high schools those young adults attend, the language that Dan Savage used is utterly innocuous compared to the language they use. Secondly, Mr. Savage did not mock anyone, he pointed out how ridiculous the manufactured outrage shown by pseudo-"christains" is when they react to the hypocrisy they display being mentioned.

You are one to talk about mocking people, meathead---mocked........mocked---meathead......you don't see the irony here or your own hypocrisy here?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
To be honest, his speech shouldn't have even focused on the Bible, much less used it as a crutch to mock it.

I believe in free speech, but he wasn't following the topic at hand, which was bullying. He actually used his speech as a platform to take advantage of an opportunity to bully people himself, which is where most people should be (rightfully) outraged.

I could care less what he says about the Bible when he's in private, or even when giving a dissertation on the fallacies of the Bible and the failures of the thought processes of Christianity...not at an anti-bullying speech.
edit on 1-5-2012 by Holodomor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Holodomor

Reality check,it is impossibly to talk about bullying from a gay perspective, as what he was the key note speaker to do just that, without bringing the bible into it. The absolute majority of bullying directed towards gays comes from, and is justified by the misuse of the Bible.

"HERP DERP, I am here today to talk to you about bullying, but I can't mention anything I have experienced in the way of bullying, or how people justified the bullying of me as a gay man because it means I would have to mention this special book, and mentioning this special book and how it is selectively used, and the hypocrisy in doing so might offend some people in this crowd, born and raised with ultra thin skins, who can't stand even the mere thought of the hypocrisy in selectively following said book to justify the actions of those who bullied me being mentioned....Herp DERP
Derp"

Is that what he should have said? I am sure there would have been no difference in the manufactured outrage shown.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RyanFromCan
reply to post by Holodomor

Reality check,it is impossibly to talk about bullying from a gay perspective, as what he was the key note speaker to do just that, without bringing the bible into it. The absolute majority of bullying directed towards gays comes from, and is justified by the misuse of the Bible.

Derp"

Untrue, I know plenty of gay people (my brother included), who get bullied by christians and non-christians. They key is to raise awareness that it comes from everywhere, not just from Bible-thumpers.

Attacking the Bible in such a personal manner shows what kind of an illogical, ill-tempered man he is, and that it is he with the thin skin. Don't get me wrong, I've had my stints railing against some of the fallacies of the bible (I wrote several high school and college dissertations on it). But as a realist, causing more dissent amongst people is the wrong way to go about bringing tolerance to the gay community.

By the way, I would technically be classified a Christian, and yes, I have written theses and papers exposing the fallacies in mainstream Christian beliefs.

Edit: To clarify, I absolutely agree with the fact that people using the Bible as a basis to discriminate against gays is a problem, however, the forum that he used to rally against the bible was the wrong one - it was a bullying movement, not a religious debate. If you can't keep religion out of the topic, then don't talk about the topic. Its plenty easy to keep religious orientation out of a drug awareness speech or a discussion on safe sex practices...why not bullying?

edit on 1-5-2012 by Holodomor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join