It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy Leader of UK calls Scots Extremists

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

This is pretty racist dude.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RebellionOutlaw

What is?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RebellionOutlaw

Are you reffering to this? :-

www.bbc.co.uk...

If so then you are correct. It is racist. I am an Englisman and it is offensive towards me any my fellow countrymen. Thank you for agreeing with that

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
personally i see Scots Westminster MPS as self serving tomb tabards.
They don't represent Scotland or the people ,sure they will come and spout off about trivial piffle but the bottom line is they do as their party says,they do what benefits them not what's good for Scotland.
They head off to London claiming their expenses/ a nice big salary and lovely pension.If they are lucky they then get a nice earner in the house of lords where they can claim £300 per day and cheap subsided booze and have a kip on the benches.
The unionist MPS when they were in power could not implement anything worthwhile because they had to ask their lords and master EG the labour party in London if it was ok to introduced whatever? If this didn't suit or would have the English saying we want this as well it wouldn't be implemented(EG free prescriptions/education)

Since the snp have been running the Scottish parliament they have done more in 3 years than Labour have done in 50 years of being in power up here.
With no master in London to please it is refreshing what we have achieved with a small budget and could do so much more if we were in control of our own finaces and not given pocket money from London.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by clanger
personally i see Scots Westminster MPS as self serving tomb tabards.
They don't represent Scotland or the people ,sure they will come and spout off about trivial piffle but the bottom line is they do as their party says,they do what benefits them not what's good for Scotland.
They head off to London claiming their expenses/ a nice big salary and lovely pension.If they are lucky they then get a nice earner in the house of lords where they can claim £300 per day and cheap subsided booze and have a kip on the benches.
The unionist MPS when they were in power could not implement anything worthwhile because they had to ask their lords and master EG the labour party in London if it was ok to introduced whatever? If this didn't suit or would have the English saying we want this as well it wouldn't be implemented(EG free prescriptions/education)

Since the snp have been running the Scottish parliament they have done more in 3 years than Labour have done in 50 years of being in power up here.
With no master in London to please it is refreshing what we have achieved with a small budget and could do so much more if we were in control of our own finaces and not given pocket money from London.

Do you seriously think that the tax take from a population of 5.2 million (and all those are not of working age) can sustain the needs of Scotland? If so you must be mad

www.scotland.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
other countrys with equal populations and no oil manage just fine.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by clanger

Prepare for osterity then once The English Taxpayers subsidy is taken away. Even oil revenue won't make up the shortfall. Good Luck

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Do you seriously think that the tax take from a population of 5.2 million (and all those are not of working age) can sustain the needs of Scotland? If so you must be mad

www.scotland.org...

It already does.

What makes you think it doesn't.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Many small countries manage just fine. What are you really worried about? Is it simply a case of jealousy? Is it the realisation that you living in England might not be as cosy without Scotland?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

www.scotland.org...

It already does.

What makes you think it doesn't.

I don't "Think" i "Know" :-

www.moneywise.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
austerity
perhaps not, money saved from:
not spending billions on nukes
nuke subs
aircraft carriers
illegal wars
un elected houses of lords
and mentality of the Scots is as in days of old when the king was crowned king of Scots EG the people
not as in England King of England EG the land
but im bemused why the unionist party's are so desperate to keep us in the union when allegedly we are subsidised and don't vote tory ?
I wonder why when they(torys) would be in power in England eternally with no Scots to keep ?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by clanger
austerity
perhaps not, money saved from:
not spending billions on nukes
nuke subs
aircraft carriers
illegal wars
un elected houses of lords
and mentality of the Scots is as in days of old when the king was crowned king of Scots EG the people
not as in England King of England EG the land
but im bemused why the unionist party's are so desperate to keep us in the union when allegedly we are subsidised and don't vote tory ?
I wonder why when they(torys) would be in power in England eternally with no Scots to keep ?

Perhaps this is the real reason

www.alba.org.uk...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Crying over a T-shirt? You really are are a such a petty nation. What about all the football hooliganism and riots your fellow Englishmen cause in other countries during football tournaments. It's pathetic. You can't even take a bit of banter. No wonder England is one of the most hated countries in the world.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HallamFoe

Now that's not true and well you know it.....the majority of English have a very good sense of humour and can see the funny side of almost any situation, same as the Scots.
Alas some people don't get 'funny' and 'humour'.
But Shauny hardly comes across as a barrel of laughs does he.....and some of them dour, surly Dunediners, man they give me the creeps!

However, if the English had done something similair it would be held up as an example of our arrogance but when you do it is just a bit of banter?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Nick Clegg doesn't know what he's talking about, he is to David Cameron as Tony Blair was to George Bush: a parasite hanging off his tailcoats.

Bill Bailey (my favourite comedian other than George Carlin) sums up Nick Clegg pretty well:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

What so you're saying the English haven't been racist towards the Scots at all or slagged us off about football? Oh please. Racism is racism ...T-shirt or not. If you made a T-shirt slagging us off (which I'm sure there are dozens kicking about) we wouldn'nt have made as much of a big deal out of it than yous. We have developed quite a thick skin over the years because of your countries BS. And don't say your country gets it just as bad, because I can assure you mate it's not true. When I'm in your country they don't even accept my money? Lol Whats with that? I class that as racism, and it happens all the time. The T-shirt was an isolated incident. In the grand scale of things your countries outburst was extremely petty and pathetic. Maybe if your country stopped treating us as being inferior to yourselves then we wouldn't even be having this debate or holding a referendum in the first place.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Now that's not true and well you know it.....the majority of English have a very good sense of humour and can see the funny side of almost any situation, same as the Scots.
Alas some people don't get 'funny' and 'humour'.
But Shauny hardly comes across as a barrel of laughs does he.....and some of them dour, surly Dunediners, man they give me the creeps!

However, if the English had done something similair it would be held up as an example of our arrogance but when you do it is just a bit of banter?

The English and Scots, there can be no comparison. Everywhere I have went on holiday abroad, I always get the people of that country sneer "eughh, you're English" ... yet when i correct them and say "no, I am Scottish" I get nothing but admiration. All over the world, the English are seen as generally not very nice people, whereas the Scots are loved, yet you seem to think that somehow the English have a sense of humour and that the Scots do not? People that can ruin their own cities (and don't blame the thugs and youth, yes they were part of it, but there was a broad range of average people involved) do not have a sense of humour, yet when there were English reports of "riots spreading to Scotland" what did we do? We proved you wrong, we have the sensibility to respect our communities, yet we are seen by the English as thuggish and barbaric ...

I have nothing against the English, I wish we could all just get along, but when these kind of statements are made, I wonder how we haven't declared Independence long before now, and why we allow ourselves to be dictated to by Westminster. We have our own Government, yes, but it can't do f**k all without the English approving first.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

o

Well said mate, and yes this is very true. This has happened to me before not only on holiday but over Xbox live aswell when talking to people from other countries online! Lol

edit on 11-1-2012 by HallamFoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Seems all you are capable of are massive and sweeping generalisations.
And any negative comment on any aspect of Scottish culture / society etc then immediately the hackles are up and straight out with the 'what about this' and other aggressive comments etc.

Of course SOME English have made 'racist' comments about the Scots.
And yes, some of them comments have on occassion been justified because do you know what, sorry to piss on your parade and all that, but SOME Scots are complete pricks and arseholes, exactly the same as SOME English are complete pricks and arseholes and Scottish culture and society isn't perfect just the same as English society and culture aren't.

I could give you numerous examples of how I have encountered open hostility and aggression along with blatant racism and bigotry in my numerous visits to Scotland simply for being English.
I suppoose that's ok in your one-sided view of things and I probably deserved it because I'm English.
But I can give you far more examples where I have been treat with nothing less than the utmost respect, good will and extraordinary gregariousness.

I do not let the racists and bigots cloud my judgement of anyone and I have lots of good Scottish friends who I have top respect for and a couple of Scots friends who I would, and have, trust my life with.

I agree some English got a bit wound up about the 'anyone but England' thing....but inagine the uproar in Scotland if there had been a similair thing?
Of course not all the Scots would be angered, but a large proportion would say how it was a classic example of English arrogance, was in bad taste and could be construed as racist.

I also know more than just a few Scots who live in England.
They all say they encounter the usual mickey taking and stereotyping etc and even the occassional racist remark etc but never the level of open aggression and hostility I have personally encountered in Scotland.
That's not to say it doesn't go on, I would be naive to the extreme to think it doesn't but I can only speak from personal experience and what other's have told me.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

FFS, does anyone actually read posts nowadays on ATS or just read what they want to read?

I never said that all Scots had no sense of humour I said SOME Scots haven't, exactly the same as the English.

As for being abroad I get absolutely no grief at all when people realise I'm from North East England, in fact I have repeatedly been asked to come back to numerous resorts all across Europe and have developed some reasonably close friendships in Greece, The Canaries, Poland and Holland amongst others.
I don't think for one minute that I'm unique or special and that proably happens to most people from the North East.

As for smashing up our cities.
Didn't happen up here mate, (or down here to you,
), all down South and in Manchester.

You really should give a bit of thought to what people say and not what you THINK they say.
edit on 11/1/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join