It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy Leader of UK calls Scots Extremists

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
reply to post by alldaylong

Listen, I could make up a huge list as to why the English are hated such as the football idiot fans etc
But you look as if you just want an argument like a typical Englishman but one that you won't win, not on here anyway so I won't lower myself to do so. Think of the riots just a short time ago springs to mind.

By your response i see truth hurts.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Listen, no one in the UK listens to Nick Clegg, i dont think even David Cameron listens to him so dont take to heart what crap he comes out with and i a British citizen

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Don't be silly, I was stating a fact, make rumblings all you want as I don't give a monkeys

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Well who subsidises who is definitely a bone of contention. We do know information has been suppressed on the true figures.

Independence is not a new concept. The world, politics, and people have experienced all of these issues before and have managed them, dealt with them, and still came out a self-supporting independent country.

RBS is a bank now majority owned by UK, so i expect the revenue and debt would still be split accordingly between the nations that assisted in the bailout. Even better, we would have the option of doing what Iceland did to save it's banks instead rather than have how we deal with our banks dictated by The City and Bank of England. I was never one for the idea of putting citizens in debt for what was in fact corporate mistakes.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

If you want to talk football riots you need to get your own house in order. I think the word "Hypocrite" comes to mind.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Who was it that issues death threats toward Neil Lennon. Was a "Bullett" not sent to him? You sir have a selective memory.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
reply to post by Flavian

Well who subsidises who is definitely a bone of contention. We do know information has been suppressed on the true figures.

Independence is not a new concept. The world, politics, and people have experienced all of these issues before and have managed them, dealt with them, and still came out a self-supporting independent country.

RBS is a bank now majority owned by UK, so i expect the revenue and debt would still be split accordingly between the nations that assisted in the bailout. Even better, we would have the option of doing what Iceland did to save it's banks instead rather than have how we deal with our banks dictated by The City and Bank of England. I was never one for the idea of putting citizens in debt for what was in fact corporate mistakes.

Whilst to an extent i do agree with you, the main point i was trying (possibly unsuccessfully) to make was that Salmond and his cronies are very good at revealing what they think and would like to happen. They are even better at concealing the realities that it isn't that straightforward.

Currency is potentially a massive problem for an independent Scotland. Yes it could be overcome but that would take time, it wouldn't be instant. For example, you would have no basis for keeping Sterling. That may not seem so bad as their is the Euro but no, there isn't. Scotland may have to wait for upto a year to gain admittance or, at best, 6 months. What do you do in the meantime? Reinstating Scottish Sterling may not be a good idea as the value would be set by the international markets rather than what Salmond and co thinks it is worth.

That is a small section of the very many huge problems that are often simply glossed over.

I want the UK to remain just that. If Scotland gets independence, i would still gladly welcome her back into the fold a few years down the line when you all realise you have been sold a pup. But what i really want is for the proposed referendum to be based on honesty and facts (pie in the sky thinking, i know).

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Better hypocrite than idiot! That was nearly a year ago.
Look at all the English who wreck holiday flats etc when they go abroad and can't hold their drink. Silly little boys who think they are men. English have a very bad reputation when they go anywhere.
I was in Ireland last year and they thought I was English until I told them I was Scottish and I was welcomed with open arms as everyone I spoke to said they hate the English but love the scots.
As for the roads in England, it used to annoy me when I drove all over England then got the M6 back home until I reached the border then bang, motorway went from 3 lanes to 2 then to 1 and for what or why?
Also, why spend billions on a new rail link from London to Manchester or Birmingham instead of to Glasgow or Edinburgh ? We pay the same taxes but you lot get the benefit.
I am lucky in that we have not one single English family who stay near us here but if any go into a shop and talk they are treated as second class citizens and you can't blame me for that.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Look at all the English who wreck holiday flats etc when they go abroad and can't hold their drink. Silly little boys who think they are men. English have a very bad reputation when they go anywhere.
I was in Ireland last year and they thought I was English until I told them I was Scottish and I was welcomed with open arms as everyone I spoke to said they hate the English but love the scots.
As for the roads in England, it used to annoy me when I drove all over England then got the M6 back home until I reached the border then bang, motorway went from 3 lanes to 2 then to 1 and for what or why?
Also, why spend billions on a new rail link from London to Manchester or Birmingham instead of to Glasgow or Edinburgh ? We pay the same taxes but you lot get the benefit.
I am lucky in that we have not one single English family who stay near us here but if any go into a shop and talk they are treated as second class citizens and you can't blame me for that.

I can answer the rail bit - seriously too! Why would Westminster spend £32 billion on something now that may be in an independent country in a couple of years?

I think this is also going to roll over in all walks of investment for the next couple of years for you Scots. Not your fault but at the same time you can't blame the government or private firms, it is just one of those things unfortunately.

By the way, we may have given you Thatcher and under investment but you have given us the Krankies and Kranky sex scandals!
Shall we call it even for long lasting trauma?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Well no- one is going to win in this slagging match even though we have the likes of Billy Connolly or Sean Connery or Ewen McGreory etc etc so I agree to end this hostility before it gets out of hand.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

"By the way, we may have given you Thatcher and under investment but you have given us the Krankies and Kranky sex scandals!"

Fair point on the Krankies, gonna have to give you that one.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Numpty1

I'm still scarred to be honest!

Plus it is all getting a bit too serious about the comments of a total non entity. Sorry, my mistake, i mean Deputy Prime Minister.......

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

We do like a good drink,

I for one will raise a glass to you for that as I've had many a good drink in Scotland!

But in saying that, i live in Glasgow which is apparently the drug/murder/stabbing capital of Europe and it's the friendliest city in the world. I've got mates from Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Spain, Italy, Germany and plenty from England who have lived here for a long time, love it and now call themselves honourary Glaswegians.

Violence is pretty common place in most major UK towns and cities however the only other place apart from Scotland where I have faced open and direct hostility and aggression merely for being English is Krakow in Poland.

The drug issue is another reason why i would like to see an increase in devolved powers or complete independence. We would benefit greatly from a Swiss style heroin programme rather than the restrictive drug laws imposed across the UK that do more harm than good

I would agree with that 100%.
We allow outdated religious morals to dictate law resulting in the current policies which are failing society miserably.
I suspect however that Scotalnd may have just as many of those moralising, interfering do-gooders that the rest of the UK has, but if you do go it alone then good luck to you on that and I hope you become an example for others to follow.

Switzerland seems to have it all pretty much boxed off - the Swiss direct democracy style of federal government is far more representative of the people's wishes and they seem pretty inobtrusive into people's private affairs and doings....if only it wasn't so bloody expensive and boring!
edit on 12/1/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I agree with you about Krakow in Poland as we were there about 4 years ago and felt unsafe regardless of where we went. No one smiled or even tried to talk to you and I paid for a drink using money to the value of a £20 note and they got all excited for some reason! I was glad to leave the place, Gdansk wasn't much better either.
edit on 12-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Must have been about four or five years ago I went there with some friends and whilst it was reasonably ok during the day at night time there was a general feeling of imminent violence.
Some under cover police tried to set us up but being reasonably well travelled we sussed them out straight away to which they replied with open and direct violence - could have been very nasty but me and a few of my mates are pretty well experienced in such things.
The open hostility from the locals, mainly the older generation, was quite surprising especially considering the UK declared war on Germany to try safeguard Polish independance - perhaps it's a remnant of the Cold War era,

I found Warsaw more cosmopolitan and met some friends there, but it is quite a boring city really with very little nightlife etc.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Being a scot I hold on to my wallet lol but there I watched it like a hawk as too many people were barging past us and knocking into us without even a sorry.
We got a taxi and he drove like a madman and thought he was on the tv show 'coach trip' until I tolled him to stop and just let us out.
The beach we went to had foam coming in on the waves as well for some reason so we didn't stay there long either.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Could someone please explain what the current arguement is about?

Everyone agrees that a referendum should be held.
Cameron and his cronies say it should be held in 2014.
Salmond and his cronies disagree with this - does he think it should be held before or after?

Cameron et al believe it should be overseen by the Electoral Commission, whereas the SNP disagree - who cares who oversees it as long as there is someone ensuring that the referendum is carried out fairly and in accordance with whatever guidelines / rules are set?

The Scottish Labour leader believes that certain powers have to be devolved from Westminster to Holyrood to ensure that if the referendum results in full independance for Scotland then it has to be legally 'watertight' and can not be contested in either an English or Scottish Court Of Law.
Personally I think that's reasonable but to be honest I don't know exactly what powers need devolving etc and what this entails.

As for 16 - 17 year old's voting in the referendum I think that's nonsense.
Whilst I think there's something crazy about a system that allows a 17 year old to go and fight for his country but not to be able to vote on who sends him to fight for his country, however, I do think that if a person can't vote in a general election then they shouldn't be able to vote in a referendum surely.
To resolve the first issue I would ban all 16 - 17 year olds serving in a theatre of war, (or in an ideal world just ban wars!)
edit on 12/1/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

You can run but you can't hide. So was this nearly a year ago or less that 2 months:-

www.guardian.co.uk...

If you seriously believe that English football is the only one with problems than you are either :-

a) A Fool
B) Blind
C) Live on another planet.

Down here we all know what goes on in Scottish football so try and pull the other leg

And i just love the fact you Scots reckon you are so well behaved:-

www.happyplace.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Get a life and see the world outside your little pc. End of.....

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Get a life and see the world outside your little pc. End of.....

LOL The truth does hurt then.

By the way if you wish to talk about who invented what you can thank AN ENGLISHMAN for the fact you can communicate on the World Wide Web. You may have already heard of him:-

en.wikipedia.org...

Bye Bye

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
OK, I started a thread regarding the Rule of Law in the UK, and a generous member of this site embedded a video that you should watch, as it might help you be able to help me in my question.

A Law is something we have to abide by. Common Law is the only Law we have to abide by. A Statute is any legal rule that is passed by Government under the business United Kingdom (not a country, a business).

If the only way to have any legal binding towards a Statute is to give consent that you agree with it, then couldn't Scotland simply withdraw our consent to follow the Statute which keeps Scotland tied to the United Kingdom? The union of the countries technically isn't a Law, it is a Statute, therefore it isn't lawful.

LOL The truth does hurt then. By the way if you wish to talk about who invented what you can thank AN ENGLISHMAN for the fact you can communicate on the World Wide Web. You may have already heard of him:- en.wikipedia.org... Bye Bye

That's what I call a very high horse.

Get real. Yes, internet = freedom of speech. It is however, nothing compared to the number of inventions made by the Scottish, which has allowed our society to actually be the way it is, electricity, OIL extraction?!

One invention vs. Many inventions.

We win

edit on 12/1/12 by domasio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join