It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy Leader of UK calls Scots Extremists

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I used to drive artic trucks all over uk from Inverness to littlehampton, Cornwall to London and everywhere in between. The English treated me well wherever I was and the accents were always different in as many places I was in.
My mother is English but I am born and bred in Scotland as my dad was.
I used to look forward to crossing the border at the end of the week just to hear the scots accent again which made my day I can tell you.
It seems to be built into us scots to hate the English and there is not much we can do about it. We are a strong and proud nation and won't take crap from anyone that tries to.
Also, look at some of the inventions the scots made to better this crazy world we live in.

Bicycles
Cash credit
Colour photography
Cotton-reel threads
Continuous electric light
Criminal finger-printing
Decimal points
Fax machines
Financial services by telephone
Fountain pens
Electro-magnetism
Hollow pipe drainage
Hypodermic syringes
Insulin
Kaleidoscopes
Lime cordial
Motor insurance
Noble gases
Paraffin
Pneumatic tyres
Self adhesive postage stamps
Quinine
Radar
Reflecting telescopes
Retail banking
Savings banks
Tubular steel
Telephone
Ultrasound scanners
Universal standard time
Vacuum flasks
Waterproof mackintoshes
Wave-powered electricity generators
Whisky
edit on 11-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Seems all you are capable of are massive and sweeping generalisations. And any negative comment on any aspect of Scottish culture / society etc then immediately the hackles are up and straight out with the 'what about this' and other aggressive comments etc.

Pot, kettle, black.

Get off your effing high horse mate.

So you've got some Scottish friends. I applaud you. I have English family in Hull and Devon. So what?

Nothing out of the seven paragraphs you typed up in your last post has contributed anything to this debate. If anything your ignorance and misunderstanding of all the stuff I have said in my previous posts has made want independence even more.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HallamFoe

So your sweeping and highly innacurate generalisations are ok but anyone commenting negatively on them isn't?

Now you aren't a Mod or Admin or even the OP so i'll comment as, when and how I see fit until someone tells me I can't.

The point I was making isn't about me having Scottish friends it was about the amount of open hostility, aggression and racism I encounter on my frequent visit to Scotland.

All you seem to do is whine on about how bad the English are and are incapable of reasoned debate and discussion.
And if anything I've said has influenced your mind on independance then there really can't have been much floating around in there.

I really don't want any sort of personal slanging match but I'm genuinely at a loss why you seem so agitated and irate.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
I used to drive artic trucks all over uk from Inverness to littlehampton, Cornwall to London and everywhere in between. The English treated me well wherever I was and the accents were always different in as many places I was in.
I used to look forward to crossing the border at the end of the week just to hear the scots accent again which made my day I can tell you.
It seems to be built into us scots to hate the English and there is not much we can do about it. We are a strong and proud nation and won't take crap from anyone that tries to.
Also, look at some of the inventions the scots made to better this crazy world we live in.

Bicycles
Cash credit
Colour photography
Cotton-reel threads
Criminal finger-printing
Decimal points
Fax machines
Fountain pens
Electro-magnetism
Hollow pipe drainage
Hypodermic syringes
Insulin
Kaleidoscopes
Lime cordial
Motor insurance
Noble gases
Paraffin
Pneumatic tyres
Quinine
Radar
Reflecting telescopes
Retail banking
Savings banks
Tubular steel
Telephone
Ultrasound scanners
Universal standard time
Vacuum flasks
Waterproof mackintoshes
Whisky

This makes me extremely proud of my country. We have such a wealth of great people for such a small country.

Another couple of innovations for the list:

Tar Mac
Television
...an interesting one is the Higgs Boson Theory
Penicillan
The refridgerator
The flush toilet
THE BANK OF ENGLAND

and my favourite one of them all..

THE OIL REFINERY hahahahahahahaha!

Come to think of it...Scotland shaped the whole world! If we can do that, then we can shape our own future without the help of England or the EU.

edit on 11-1-2012 by HallamFoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Nearly forgot, Barrs Irn Brew! Lol

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I get it mate. I've seen your posts on other threads. You love taking the moral high ground. You're a big know it all.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Nearly forgot, Barrs Irn Brew! Lol

We're the only country in the world where coca cola isn't the best selling soft drink lol

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I used to work for a lemonade company and we sold strike cola or dark cola as it was then, coke is crap compared to that, it's too fizzy same as Pepsi . In pubs in England at that time, they didn't know what Barrs Irn Bru was!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This may be of interest to you peps?

Stephen.

www.ejil.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bugsbunny1967

Interesting paper. Here's their final proposal:

This is based on real data from the laws and relationships in the maratime annexings of other countries

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
reply to post by bugsbunny1967

Interesting paper. Here's their final proposal:

This is based on real data from the laws and relationships in the maratime annexings of other countries

Care to elaborate what all the data means? The jargon and maps mean nothing to my poor little brain, i've been awake for 19 hours and it's getting confusing

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Bicycles
Cash credit
Colour photography
Cotton-reel threads
Criminal finger-printing
Decimal points
Fax machines
Fountain pens
Electro-magnetism
Hollow pipe drainage
Hypodermic syringes
Insulin
Kaleidoscopes
Lime cordial
Motor insurance
Noble gases
Paraffin
Pneumatic tyres
Quinine
Radar
Reflecting telescopes
Retail banking
Savings banks
Tubular steel
Telephone
Ultrasound scanners
Universal standard time
Vacuum flasks
Waterproof mackintoshes
Whisky

Here are a couple of things you may not be so proud of:-

news.bbc.co.uk...

blog.postcodelottery.com...

Is life that dire in Scotland?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by domasio

The picture is taken from a paper that investigates how Scottish and English waters would be annexed if total separation was to ever occur. This paper was written by lawyers.

It's an interesting paper, you can read it on the link BuggsBunny1967 provided www.ejil.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

We do like a good drink, and yes there are some drug issues, as there are in a lot of places.

But in saying that, i live in Glasgow which is apparently the drug/murder/stabbing capital of Europe and it's the friendliest city in the world. I've got mates from Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Spain, Italy, Germany and plenty from England who have lived here for a long time, love it and now call themselves honourary Glaswegians.

So don't believe the hype.

High alcohol rates are always prevailent in countries with low light levels. It's pretty depressing when it rains all the time and we don't get much of a summer, so drunk and drugs help lol

The drug issue is another reason why i would like to see an increase in devolved powers or complete independence. We would benefit greatly from a Swiss style heroin programme rather than the restrictive drug laws imposed across the UK that do more harm than good.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I fear those problems might possibly rise in the South after Independence.
I hope that is not the case, but inevitably when damned to a life of no hope as many young in Scotland have found themselves in, this is the outcome.
Through Independence more will be spent on programmes to help alleviate these problems, through independence many of our current problems will be addressed by our own government and not simply ignored as they have been in the past.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Bicycles
Cash credit
Colour photography
Cotton-reel threads
Criminal finger-printing
Decimal points
Fax machines
Fountain pens
Electro-magnetism
Hollow pipe drainage
Hypodermic syringes
Insulin
Kaleidoscopes
Lime cordial
Motor insurance
Noble gases
Paraffin
Pneumatic tyres
Quinine
Radar
Reflecting telescopes
Retail banking
Savings banks
Tubular steel
Telephone
Ultrasound scanners
Universal standard time
Vacuum flasks
Waterproof mackintoshes
Whisky

I've always like the Scots, thought you were down to earth, hard working good guys (ok, also crazy loonies but you get the point).

Now, having read the list, i see you are responsible for fax machines and retail banking! My god have you turned me against the Scots!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

It is a very interesting read but the problem is that it doesn't take certain things into consideration, such as past investment and subsidy - all of which would be liable for repayment and therefore probably taken in oil fields. That is actually a proper legal issue as well, rather than the ramblings of a crazy on the internet!

Also, RBS debt would belong to Scotland rather than the UK, plus Scotland's share of the £1.4 Trillion UK debt.

I do not want the break up to happen, i love the Union. I also understand that to a certain type of mind frame, independence is a very attractive proposition. The problem is that Alex Slamond is a very good political operator whilst at the same time being a very poor politician. By that, i mean that he plays the political game very well whilst actually obscuring the main issues and facts. He basically represents himself rather than the people, although i will concede that in this he is the same as most other politicians.

What i fear is that he will manage to make it about Scotland versus England, rather than simply the facts (which would be a refreshing change for a political debate).

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

No loss there then lol

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Listen, I could make up a huge list as to why the English are hated such as the football idiot fans etc
But you look as if you just want an argument like a typical Englishman but one that you won't win, not on here anyway so I won't lower myself to do so. Think of the riots just a short time ago springs to mind.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Bit hit and miss with the self adhesive stamp thing too - on the one hand your lot have taken away a childish pleasure (licking stamps), on the other they did taste bloody horrible!

You also forgot to add your greatest culinary accomplishment - deep fried choccy. And no, im not taking the p***

Thought it was a bloody stupid idea........until i actually tried one

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join