It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy Leader of UK calls Scots Extremists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
This week theres seems to have been a raft of gaffs from senior politicians in Westminster.

Here is the latest one which I have a personal interest in. LINK

According to Nick Clegg (who ?) anyone who supports the idea of an Independant Scotland is an extremist.

I don't see myself as an extremist, I have been a card carrying member of the SNP for the past 30 years and have always called for an independent Scotland. For years I was in a minority in Scotland as most folk voted Labour. But for the past few years now the SNP has far and away been the most popular political party in Scotland.

Therefore Nick Cleg is calling the majority of Scots extremists.

The guy is a buffoon and totally clueless.

Methinks they are getting deparate.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I completely agree they are getting desperate, cant wait for an independent Scotland, we dont need Westminster or the City of London any more
edit on 9-1-2012 by trustnothing because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
link   
I couldn't agree more - Clegg is a buffoon and clueless.

However, the SNP's ideology is also clueless and simple-minded. Alex Salmond is a relic of a by-gone era, and the rhetoric spouted by his party is simply impractical and outdated.

Nuff said.

The Rev.

link   
reply to post by bigyin

That would be the case if everybody in scotland thought independence would be a good idea. Im scottish and i DONT think independence is a good idea at all ...

The SNP have used the gimmick of independence for scotland to get voted in, it will never happen as it would never work, we would end up like ireland or greece and be done over by the european banks!

Also, many scottish people i know agree that an independent scotland is not the way forward, esspecialy at this point in time.

To call independence supporters extremists is a bit over the top, but its still not a majority view.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Well looking to end a political union which has lasted hundreds of years over a resurgence of nationalist sentiment is a pretty extreme thing to do. That being said Nick Clegg is a fool and SNP voters are for the most part NOT extremists.
edit on 9-1-2012 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Well he is a bit of a plank, and will continue to be a bit of a plank... Although I have never liked that idea of the Union splitting up, I also think we'll never be able to be truly friendly towards each other unless Scotland gets full and complete independence. Perhaps we can be friendly then? or at least we'll be able to draw up the bridge and ignore each other if we can't

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by trustnothing
reply to post by bigyin

I completely agree they are getting desperate, cant wait for an independent Scotland, we dont need Westminster or the City of London any more

As an Englishman i will be glad when Scotland becomes independent. The English can then stop subsidising Scotland. Then you can see how much Scotland needs Westminster:-

www.moneywise.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

reply to post by bigyin

As an Englishman i will be glad when Scotland becomes independent. The English can then stop subsidising Scotland. Then you can see how much Scotland needs Westminster:-

www.moneywise.co.uk...

Was waiting for this type of ignorant post...and as expected its from an Englishman...

You clearly have no idea...if Scotland becomes independent, which we will (thank the lord), we will be entitled to around 90% of the oil fields in the North Sea, let alone the Atlantic fields. With Scotland being the leading country for renewable energy in Tidal and wave, we will also capture that business. We will be allowed to dictate our own corporation taxes too.

So along with England losing a hell of a lot of oil, they will also lose a lot of companies who will relocate, lose the renewable energy sector and that brilliant idea of £2,000,000,000 per year increase in North Sea Oil tax introduced by Mr Osbourne.

You guys down there think that we are subsidised by you lot but what you fail to see is that without the business generated through oil and energy, you lot have NOTHING...

England will feel the pinch far worse than Scotland will, trust me...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Originally posted by alldaylong

reply to post by bigyin

www.moneywise.co.uk...

Was waiting for this type of ignorant post...and as expected its from an Englishman...

You clearly have no idea...if Scotland becomes independent, which we will (thank the lord), we will be entitled to around 90% of the oil fields in the North Sea, let alone the Atlantic fields. With Scotland being the leading country for renewable energy in Tidal and wave, we will also capture that business. We will be allowed to dictate our own corporation taxes too.

So along with England losing a hell of a lot of oil, they will also lose a lot of companies who will relocate, lose the renewable energy sector and that brilliant idea of £2,000,000,000 per year increase in North Sea Oil tax introduced by Mr Osbourne.

You guys down there think that we are subsidised by you lot but what you fail to see is that without the business generated through oil and energy, you lot have NOTHING...

England will feel the pinch far worse than Scotland will, trust me...

LOL i was waiting for that sort of reply.North Sea oil is RUNNING OUT. And do you seriously believe North Sea Oil revenue alone would bridge the budget short fall? What planet are you living on?

An Independent Scotland.........Hurry up please.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Morning laddies,well your goin to have to call me an extremist we've been gettin screwed ever since 1215AD after signing the Magna Carta.
An on the eighth day the lord made Scotland

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
What's wrong with the Union, it's been pretty successful since it's formation. Why would you want to break it up. I think we are better off together. I think there are enough divisions in Britain without creating another. But that's just my 2 p's worth.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
extremist [ɪkˈstriːmɪst]
n
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a person who favours or resorts to immoderate, uncompromising, or fanatical methods or behaviour, esp in being politically radical
adj
(Psychology) of, relating to, or characterized by immoderate or excessive actions, opinions, etc.
extremism  n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Utter crap by the Government in Westminster as per usual!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dunc4
Morning laddies,well your goin to have to call me an extremist we've been gettin screwed ever since 1215AD after signing the Magna Carta.
An on the eighth day the lord made Scotland

Magna Carta? Scotland had nothing to do with The Magna Carta. It was an ENGLISH bill of rights:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I'm not rising to the jibes from the English supporters. I've been over and over the arguments too many times. Bottom line is Scotland would be infinetly better off without being shackeled to Westminster and being used as their bitch slap.

The thread is not about whether Scotland would be better off or not..... it's about leading politicians using extreme language to cajoul folk to thier way of thinking.

As the article points out it was only a few months ago another numpty was calling us neo fascists.

So it seems it doesn't matter what ordinary folk want, if it's not in step with these guys they will call you anything.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Scottish independence is doomed to failure. Im English and i love the Union (all parts). However, this issue will not go away. I kind of want Scotland to get independence now so when it doesn't work we can welcome you back to the fold and finally put the issue to bed.

Regarding the oil though, if Scotland does get independence, do you really think Westminster will just roll over and give you the oil?

Back to the topic, just another silly comment from a silly politician - Cameron must think it's great at the moment with opposition like Clegg (i know they are in coalition but still from opposing parties) and Milliband (total joke). That said, you can't be much better served up in Scotland if Salmond is doing so well!
edit on 9-1-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I am of Ulster/Scots' stock and fiercely pro Union, how does that sound

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I see Cameron has said Scotland can have a referendum within 18 months and then been accused by Nichola Sturgeon (deputy 1st minister) of interfering in Scottish affairs! What is it Miss Sturgeon? Do you want a bloody referendum or not?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
An independent Scotland is a terrible idea. It would never work. And please, none of the "There's the North Sea oil and gas" rhetoric, because Scotland would go the way of Greece, fact! And one more thing, why would anyone want to break up our country?
A union that works, because in truth, we are all the same, with our history and culture linked together, and genetically the same, because we're the same people, pretty much.
Hell, the rest of Ireland should still be part of the UK. Scotland to leave the union, then join another union? lol it makes no sense.
Yes, The Royal family and The City of London control needs to be done away with, but to break the country up and have one part(Scotland) go and join another political union, is madness.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
An Independent Scotland.........Hurry up please.

lol Then we can laugh at how silly they have been when they want to come back in from the cold

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join