It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy Leader of UK calls Scots Extremists

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by domasio
OK, I started a thread regarding the Rule of Law in the UK, and a generous member of this site embedded a video that you should watch, as it might help you be able to help me in my question.

A Law is something we have to abide by. Common Law is the only Law we have to abide by. A Statute is any legal rule that is passed by Government under the business United Kingdom (not a country, a business).

If the only way to have any legal binding towards a Statute is to give consent that you agree with it, then couldn't Scotland simply withdraw our consent to follow the Statute which keeps Scotland tied to the United Kingdom? The union of the countries technically isn't a Law, it is a Statute, therefore it isn't lawful.

LOL The truth does hurt then. By the way if you wish to talk about who invented what you can thank AN ENGLISHMAN for the fact you can communicate on the World Wide Web. You may have already heard of him:- en.wikipedia.org... Bye Bye

That's what I call a very high horse.

Get real. Yes, internet = freedom of speech. It is however, nothing compared to the number of inventions made by the Scottish, which has allowed our society to actually be the way it is, electricity, OIL extraction?!

One invention vs. Many inventions.

We win

edit on 12/1/12 by domasio because: (no reason given)

English inventions? Here are just a few. Enjoy:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

OK, I started a thread regarding the Rule of Law in the UK, and a generous member of this site embedded a video that you should watch, as it might help you be able to help me in my question.

A Law is something we have to abide by. Common Law is the only Law we have to abide by. A Statute is any legal rule that is passed by Government under the business United Kingdom (not a country, a business).

If the only way to have any legal binding towards a Statute is to give consent that you agree with it, then couldn't Scotland simply withdraw our consent to follow the Statute which keeps Scotland tied to the United Kingdom? The union of the countries technically isn't a Law, it is a Statute, therefore it isn't lawful.

LOL The truth does hurt then. By the way if you wish to talk about who invented what you can thank AN ENGLISHMAN for the fact you can communicate on the World Wide Web. You may have already heard of him:- en.wikipedia.org... Bye Bye

Get real. Yes, internet = freedom of speech. It is however, nothing compared to the number of inventions made by the Scottish, which has allowed our society to actually be the way it is, electricity, OIL extraction?!

We win

en.wikipedia.org...

65% if not more of those items on the list are not inventions, but improvements on things which have already been invented, or things claiming to be inventions, such as the Christmas Card, which are not inventions, but ideas on how to use something that has been invented for a specific purpose.

Fail. A big one.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Could someone please explain what the current arguement is about?

Everyone agrees that a referendum should be held. Cameron and his cronies say it should be held in 2014. Salmond and his cronies disagree with this - does he think it should be held before or after?

Cameron et al believe it should be overseen by the Electoral Commission, whereas the SNP disagree - who cares who oversees it as long as there is someone ensuring that the referendum is carried out fairly and in accordance with whatever guidelines / rules are set?

No Cameron wants it to be held in 18 months time in 2013.
The SNP have always said that they would hold the referendum either in Autumn of 2014 or at the beginning of the their next term. This is a huge decision for Scotland and the SNP don't want to rush it...I would imagine there is a lot of planning involved.

The SNP also want it to be an independent committee to oversee the vote so that there is no bias and to make it fairer.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by HallamFoe

Don't forget the newly proposed BP oil field off the West Coast which will be the biggest oil field ever drilled by BP...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Yeah they proposed those oil fields years ago. I live on the west coast and there was talk of an oil boom. The plans were scrapped half way through because of the cost. The massive straight road/dual carriage way between Prestwick and Irvine was built specifically for it, for lorries and containers to ship parts etc. So yeah hopefully they look into it again.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Not ONE person invented the Internet to talk on so as usual, you are wrong again.....

The Internet was originally developed by DARPA - the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency - as a means to share information on defense research between involved universities and defense research facilities.

Read more: wiki.answers.com...
edit on 12-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

Not ONE person invented the Internet to talk on so as usual, you are wrong again.....

The Internet was originally developed by DARPA - the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency - as a means to share information on defense research between involved universities and defense research facilities.

The internet was developed by an Englishman. DARPA developed a forerunner for secure military comms. Often the problem with using Wiki is that the info is only part right or just outright made up!

By the way, that is not a criticism, more a warning to beware something i have fallen foul of on several occasions before!
edit on 12-1-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I would have thought that if you are so passionate about independance you would prefer sooner rather than later.
Surely it wouldn't take that long to organise and then set aside a certain amount of time for public debate etc.
But, at the end of the day it's up to Scotland to decide when it votes.

Have you got any reason to suspect that the Election Commission would be unfair if it was appointed to oversee the referendum?
Has anyone ever accused it of being unfair?

And what about 16 - 17year olds voting?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

"And what about 16 - 17year olds voting?"
Just interested to know if that would be part of your preferred overhaul of the system.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

Who mentioned the internet? I said WORLD WIDE WEB. They are not the same thing:-
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Numpty1

I'm not sure.
When I was 16 - 17 years old I was convinced I knew everything about everything, now I know I knew a little about a little - I doubt I know much more now 30 years later, just a bit more 'worldly wise' and definately more cynical.

I don't think it is right to have one age limit for referendums and one for all other elections, there has to be consistency.

Perhaps a part of the radical reform would be a referendum on the voting age for all elections and referendums and thus let the people decide.
edit on 12/1/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Then perhaps as we are about to have a referendum on Independence, we might consider this as part of our change. I'm not sure I agree either for the same reasons you've stated. But it is maybe something for Scotland to consider.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I would have thought that if you are so passionate about independance you would prefer sooner rather than later. Surely it wouldn't take that long to organise and then set aside a certain amount of time for public debate etc.

I am passionate. And neither I, or the Scottish government are stupid enough to think it should be done sooner rather than later. To hold a referendum too soon would be a dumb thing to do.

I mean...are you an idiot? Of course it would take a subsantial amount of time to draw up plans for a newly indepedent country? I'd rather it was done over a period of time, with great care and consideration. So please stop going on as if we are inferior blind patriots.

"Set aside a time for public debate etc."... just to clarify....you do know this vote won't be a poll, but will be an actual decision made by the people living in Scotland, right? There will be no debate afterwards.

edit on 12-1-2012 by HallamFoe because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2012 by HallamFoe because: grammar

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Don't forget the newly proposed BP oil field off the West Coast which will be the biggest oil field ever drilled by BP...

Shoosshhhhhh! They obviously don't know about this yet

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

We win

en.wikipedia.org...

65% if not more of those items on the list are not inventions, but improvements on things which have already been invented, or things claiming to be inventions, such as the Christmas Card, which are not inventions, but ideas on how to use something that has been invented for a specific purpose.

Fail. A big one.

65%? So in the 10 minutes you took to reply you worked out the 65%? My you are a clever chap

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Seems about right to me. Of course, there's really no need for an exact number because anyone reading through that list will work out for themselves that the majority of the items on it are not inventions at all.

Is this a touchy subject for you? You're being overly anal, he must have hit a nerve with his post.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Originally posted by HallamFoe

Exactly why do you talk down to anyone who asks a civil question?
The tone of all your replies are always so confrontational despite bring asked perfectly reasonable and civil questions.

I am passionate.

Obviously.
And that is a good thing.
Far too few people are passionate about anything nowadays.
Apathy will be the doom of the ordinary man.

And neither I, or the Scottish government are stupid enough to think it should be done sooner rather than later. To hold a referendum too soon would be a dumb thing to do.

With the level of dislike, possibly even hatred, you display for the English I would have thought sooner would be the preferred option.
But it will be as you wish.
Now without all the hostility, aggression and condescension could you please explain why you think it would be a dumb thing to do say in 18months time?

I mean...are you an idiot?

No I'm not...far from it....however I'm yet to be convinced of your qualities as all you seem to offer in reply to reasonable questions in an effort to generate open, honest and respectful debate are generalisations, insults, indignation and pompous arrogance.

Of course it would take a subsantial amount of time to draw up plans for a newly indepedent country? I'd rather it was done over a period of time, with great care and consideration.

Ok I understand it would take some time, but I thought the SNP had long since thought this through and had it all part of their manifesto being as it is the basis of their very existence.
Now I'm no constitutional, legal or parliamentary expert by any stretch of the imagination but surely 18 - 24 months would be a reasonable amount of time?
But ultimately I don't know.

So please stop going on as if we ares an inferior blind patriots

Err..pardon?

"Set aside a time for public debate etc."... just to clarify....you do know this vote won't be a poll, but will be an actual decision made by the people living in Scotland, right? There willl be no debate afterwards.

But surely there will be ample time for debate prior to the referendum?
And who mentioned anything about a poll?
I fully understand what a referendum is...are you sure you don't have comprehension issues as you seem to misinterpret everything that there is possible to misinterpret or is that just another manifestation of you seeing offence when absolutely none is intended?

I never mentioned anything at all about after the referendum?
But if you think that after the referendum, regardless of the result, it will be the end of the discussion and debate well then my friend you are a damn sight more naive than I ever suspected.
edit on 12/1/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Could you give me an example of one thing that the Westminster Government has invested into Scotland in say the last 20 or 30 years.

I can't think of anything.

Most road projects have been funded from EU.
Schools and Hospitals have been on PFI terms ie no funding, still to be paid for.
Plenty of things have been moved south..... steel making, nuclear subs refits to name 2 close to my heart.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Lol.
Not just Scotland mate.....can anyone show me what investments there has been in North East England.
At least the EU have invested something in Scotland, nowhere near as much as they have in other regions throughout the EU, they have spent absolutely zero that I know of here.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Yes exactly, but down south they get whatever they want. Olympic villages, 6 lane motorway round London, high speed railway, eurotunnel, airports ..... you name it.

The rest of us get zip

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join