It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy Leader of UK calls Scots Extremists

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

Originally posted by PapaKrok

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by PapaKrok
Even the Romans couldn't beat the Scots, they just built a wall....

Hmmm...

The "Scots" didn't exist in Roman times, it was the Picts around then. If you bother to look it up, you'll find the Picts themselves were taken over by Gaelic/Anglo-Saxon people's and none remain today.

Yea, technically I'm Viking stock transplanted to France, then the Highlands....but that isn't as romantic

emperor Hadrian, he built a HUGE wall at the very most northern point of England, And the Romans never came into Scotland. Scotland claimed its independance in 1707.
en.wikipedia.org...
Know your history people...please

I'd never grant independence to someone who cant spell it.

Have you ever lived outside the UK?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Originally posted by alldaylong

Originally posted by trustnothing
reply to post by bigyin

I completely agree they are getting desperate, cant wait for an independent Scotland, we dont need Westminster or the City of London any more
edit on 9-1-2012 by trustnothing because: (no reason given)

As an Englishman i will be glad when Scotland becomes independent. The English can then stop subsidising Scotland. Then you can see how much Scotland needs Westminster:-

www.moneywise.co.uk...

Was waiting for this type of ignorant post...and as expected its from an Englishman...

You clearly have no idea...if Scotland becomes independent, which we will (thank the lord), we will be entitled to around 90% of the oil fields in the North Sea, let alone the Atlantic fields. With Scotland being the leading country for renewable energy in Tidal and wave, we will also capture that business. We will be allowed to dictate our own corporation taxes too.

So along with England losing a hell of a lot of oil, they will also lose a lot of companies who will relocate, lose the renewable energy sector and that brilliant idea of £2,000,000,000 per year increase in North Sea Oil tax introduced by Mr Osbourne.

You guys down there think that we are subsidised by you lot but what you fail to see is that without the business generated through oil and energy, you lot have NOTHING...

England will feel the pinch far worse than Scotland will, trust me...

I was pretty sure that the North Sea was nowhere near as profitable as it once was?

There is a constitutional issue that needs resolving anyways - Scottish MPs voting on legislation which affect England and Wales (and NI) seems peculiar when our elected officials have no reciprocal powers.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by shauny

Quite the angry young man aren't you.

Just one point really - I suggest you do a bit more reading on The British Empire.

Scots took quite an active and leading role in spreading and developing The Empire.
And Scotland did very well out of it indeed, just look at the money Dundee made out of the jute trade.

I assure you, Scotland was a very willing participant in The British Empire.

Not everything is down to those dastardly English.

RIIIIGHHHHT,
If you want to believe this, then thats your problem kind Sir.
The North of Ireland was STOLEN and in the mid 1800s, 10s of Thousands of Irish sought Home in the West of Scotland to Escape the English. This is also a FACT. Any more rubbish you would like to present? I posted our national anthem, 2 videos. Its Anti English. I boooo the British National Anthem. Because I am Scottish. I may have a British Passport, but its not through choice, believe me. Irish and Scottish people are VERY similar, why? Because all over History we have been enslaved by the English. Please dont post rubbish to try and rubbish my claim. I dislike the ENGLISH goverment who still run Scotland. We have our own parliment sure, but it does HEY HAW ! (Nothing of note).

ps: Why did emperor Hadrian stop his wall at Scotland?

edit on 10/1/2012 by shauny because: (no reason given)

Learn some History. It was mainly Scots that moved to Northern Ireland not The English:-philnorf.tripod.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Sorry mate, but I don't think Shauny is really bothered about historical accuracy as he just seems to want to promote his anti-English bigotry and rhetoric regardless of truth.
edit on 11/1/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Some comic relief for this thread. Stewart Lee on the finer points of national Identity to a Glasgow audience.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

reply to post by stumason

It will be interesting how England will view The Scots who are domicile in England. They will not have a UK Passport when and if they get Indedpendence. There are thousands upon thousands of Scots in England (Lateset estimate around 800,000) They could be classed as illegal immigrants

And would the same not apply for the English in Scotland? I guess the figure is around 400,000. Your English passport would no longer be valid as the name would be wrong!

I think on balance the Scots would come off worst.

How do you come to that conclusion when there are 10 times more English people than Scots. The English would come off worse as every passport would be invalid...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by YeshuaPiso

It will be interesting how England will view The Scots who are domicile in England. They will not have a UK Passport when and if they get Indedpendence. There are thousands upon thousands of Scots in England (Lateset estimate around 800,000) They could be classed as illegal immigrants

And would the same not apply for the English in Scotland? I guess the figure is around 400,000. Your English passport would no longer be valid as the name would be wrong!

Why? Would you suggest internment camps?

SNP policy is that anyone resident in Scotland at the time of independence can claim Scottish citizenship. Even if they didn't want to do this, there would be no repercussions or problems - they could stay or leave regardless of their decision.

So explain why Scots would be worse off in this scenario? What repercussions do you envisage happening?

Playing Devils advocate here. So lets say Scotland gets independence. The English government may seek "revenge" by shipping all The Scots back home. I think not many English living in Scotland live in social housing, which in not the fact for The Scots living in England. Scotland would have to then find thousands of news homes for the people sent back home.

Just an imaginary vision that may or may not happen.

So what your saying is that the majority of Scots living in England live in social housing and the majority of the English living in Scotland don't live in social housing?

Where the heck did you get this cr*p from?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

The ability to laugh at each other and ourselves is a distinctly BRITISH trait and as I know all too well Glaswegians are very adept at both.....if only those surly Edinburghians, (or is it Edinburghers or even Edinbourgeois?], could do the same.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
It is a disaster for UK on the whole .
Anyone who calls themselves a British citizen would lose out from such a separation .
Self determination is a fundamental right of any group of human beings .
I myself don't think that there would be any substantial benefits for anyone in the long term .

2pence

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

SNP policy is that anyone resident in Scotland at the time of independence can claim Scottish citizenship. Even if they didn't want to do this, there would be no repercussions or problems - they could stay or leave regardless of their decision.

So explain why Scots would be worse off in this scenario? What repercussions do you envisage happening?

Playing Devils advocate here. So lets say Scotland gets independence. The English government may seek "revenge" by shipping all The Scots back home. I think not many English living in Scotland live in social housing, which in not the fact for The Scots living in England. Scotland would have to then find thousands of news homes for the people sent back home.

So what your saying is that the majority of Scots living in England live in social housing and the majority of the English living in Scotland don't live in social housing?

Lets be sensible about this. The vast majority of English people who relocate to Scotland go into well paid jobs in the Financial, Health and Education sectors. Not the sort of people who require social housing. However the Scots who move to England tend to mainly move for blue collar jobs. Take the example of Corby Northamptonshire for instance. It's know as "Little Scotland" because of the number of Scots who came to work in the steel industry.
en.wikipedia.org...

See under "Society And Culture"

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Lets be sensible about this. The vast majority of English people who relocate to Scotland go into well paid jobs in the Financial, Health and Education sectors. Not the sort of people who require social housing. However the Scots who move to England tend to mainly move for blue collar jobs. Take the example of Corby Northamptonshire for instance. It's know as "Little Scotland" because of the number of Scots who came to work in the steel industry.
en.wikipedia.org...

Yes, i and nearly every other Scot knows about Corby but what your saying is very derogatory indeed. What your saying is that English people are better (just without so many words). When it comes to finance, Scots have the 3rd highest GDP in the UK behind London and the South East.

People don't move to England for the social housing...there are numerous reasons why they move. There is a better diversity of living in Scotland, far more varied opportunities that are missing in England.

And just as a piece of info, i know 3 English families, and they all live in social housing.

I think classing people like that is where issues regarding hatred stem...its best to be left on the football pitch or in the realms of pre-1800...
edit on 11/1/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes, i and nearly every other Scot knows about Corby but what your saying is very derogatory indeed. What your saying is that English people are better (just without so many words). When it comes to finance, Scots have the 3rd highest GDP in the UK behind London and the South East.

People don't move to England for the social housing...there are numerous reasons why they move. There is a better diversity of living in Scotland, far more varied opportunities that are missing in England.

And just as a piece of info, i know 3 English families, and they all live in social housing.

I think classing people like that is where issues regarding hatred stem...its best to be left on the football pitch or in the realms of pre-1800...

Take a look at this:-

www.bbc.co.uk...

I think it speaks for itself.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
what are you all bickering about , the brittish empire this the jacobite rebellion that

lets face it scotland wouldnt be anything without england and england wouldnt be anything without scotland , we are better together than apart despite our historical differences.

The brittish empire was built on the sweat of good scotsmen , irishmen , welshmen and englishmen. Sailing the seven seas and putting us literally on the map.

It was the hard working men of this nationt that made it what it is , the poor men who sailed on the sea, and worked the land .
Those at the top just reaped the benefits and we have yet to see a single shred of a declaration of our rights ! save for the magna carta which doesnt really hold sway in the land of acts and statutes.

We dont need seperation we need a political and social revolution to reform our political party system.
One which gives the people of the land actual rights not under any king or queen , or a piece of paper that was written when they still thought we were the centre of the universe !

We need reform and we need it now , we need to take away the power from career politicians and we need to put it in the hands of the people , not in a mob rule democracy but through a federal based system whilst still mainting individual rights and liberties , holding a strong economy in research and development of future technology. We need to remain strong against the EU but at the same time not distance ourselves from them but lead them and show them how its really done !

Despite many scots fear of being brittish , because of our history and hatred towards monarchy , the monarchy were never brittish to begin with they were germanic !
So # them and # the government too
we need to start ourselves a movement

stumason and freeborn and christina 66 have all got good ideas , we have discusses this before , lets act !

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by woodwardjnr

The ability to laugh at each other and ourselves is a distinctly BRITISH trait and as I know all too well Glaswegians are very adept at both.....if only those surly Edinburghians, (or is it Edinburghers or even Edinbourgeois?], could do the same.

The correct term is Dunediner and refers to the old name of the town, Dunedin, although Edinburgher does seem to be used alot (mainly by Glaswegians).

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
According to Nick Clegg (who ?) anyone who supports the idea of an Independant Scotland is an extremist.

You mustn't watch the news or read the newspapers that often if you don't know who Nick Clegg is.

Also, labelling those Scottish people who advocate Scottish independence from the UK as "extremists" is no different from those Europhiles calling those British people who advocate British independence from the EU as "xenophobic Little Englanders."
edit on 11-1-2012 by Sicksicksick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

reply to post by bigyin

I completely agree they are getting desperate, cant wait for an independent Scotland, we dont need Westminster or the City of London any more

You did need Westminster when the Royal Bank of Scotland and other Scottish banks needed bailing out.

An independent Scotland would never have been able to bail out those banks as the cost of doing so was greater than the whole of Scotland's GDP. But, thanks to you being in the UK, those banks were able to be bailed out.

So that was a time when you did need Westminster.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Don't forget that England is divided into regions for these studies. Scotland isn't. Instead it is counted as a region in its own right. In my view it would be fairer if Scotland was also divided into regions for these purposes. And then it would be interesting to see how Scotland compares to England. How, for example, would the Greater Glasgow area compare with the English regions when it comes to GDP per capita, life expectancy and the murder rate? It would compare very low. Glasgow's GDP per capita is lower than almost all parts of England; its life expectancy is lower than that of many African countries; and its murder rate is the highest in Europe.

Also, a survey released in November found that of the top 50 best places to live in the UK all of them are in England.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Sicksicksick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sicksicksick

reply to post by bigyin

You did need Westminster when the Royal Bank of Scotland and other Scottish banks needed bailing out.

An independent Scotland would never have been able to bail out those banks as the cost of doing so was greater than the whole of Scotland's GDP. But, thanks to you being in the UK, those banks were able to be bailed out.

When will people realise RBS is as much a part of the City of London as any other bank, probably more so. That being the case, its is only right that we should all be helping with the bailouts.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sicksicksick

reply to post by bigyin

Personally I would have preferred if the RBS had been let go to the dogs.

What benefit has there been to the average Scot from the bailout ? none that I know of. We've spent billions propping them and other companies up and got nothing back.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I believe Scotland would be able to survive on it's own.

All this talk about job losses is absolute nonsense. People on here are basically saying multi national companies are just going to pack up and leave? Lol, aye OK.

People are saying companies don't want to invest in Scotland. Load of rubbish. Last year Amazon opened a new centre in Fife creating 950 permanent jobs, and 500 permanent jobs in Edinburgh. Over the Christmas period an extra 400 temp jobs were created.

People are saying Scotland will be swallowed up by the EU and convert to Euro. Really? Alex Salmond was just on the Channel 4 news saying this is not the case and they will be keeping the pound sterling or create Scottish pound sterlng.

What about the bailing out of the banks you say? OK tell you what....how about we don't ask for all the oil revenue for the past 30 years? Call it quits? OK thanks. All we ask is we take our remaining north sea oil with us. And yes it really does make up 90% of the total according to the water borders.

Oil running out you say? Then why last year did BP put forward proposals for an oil field expansion off the coast of Aberdeen?

What about the national debt you say? Well according to economists, Scotland's share would be 1 trillion. Just under 8% of the total. Which according to statistics would be better than the current GNP. Again this was discussed on Channel 4 news earlier.

Obviously this information doesn't matter because we don't know for certain how everything would pan out. It could be a bad move...then again it could be the best thing ever to happen to my country and for that I'm willing to take the chance.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join