It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy Leader of UK calls Scots Extremists

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by clanger

We certainly have much in common with each other, would definately have a laugh and a few pints.....and not take ourselves too seriously.

Alas.......

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by clanger
reply to post by RebellionOutlaw

They vote them in?
Read or learn some History !!

The Germans voted Hitler in, your point being?
Read or learn about our electoral system before throwing around a useless comment + learn a little bit about the two party system.

Do you know why the Tories got voted in this time? Because of the failings of the Labour government, they didn't win a majority (they had to have the Lib Dems jump into bed with them) - they won't win the next election. Majority of votes which take place, majority of governments that get in throught out the entire globe underneath the system we follow get in more as a protest of the previous government than an actual vote for the government in question. Partisan relations have broken down over the past 15 years.
+ You're not even taking into account the majority of people that don't even take part in the voting system - Going off this alone, representative democracy doesn't work.

Nobody likes a Tory, the Tories don't even like the Tories - They are a universally hated and loathe party.
Scotland, England they're all just as bad as each other - no government cares about its citizens.

-

Personally think this is being viewed and the history of the British Empire is being viewed through rose tinted goggles.
edit on 10-1-2012 by RebellionOutlaw because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2012 by RebellionOutlaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by shauny

Originally posted by Hendrix92TheUniverse
Please forgive me, I am American, who has been all over the world.

And to me, some of the English people, are the most arrogant people on planet Earth.

England, afraid that its once mighty empire might dissolve, into the true states that once existed, will go kicking and screaming into the night, forever cursing those, who would want to rule themselves.

Only my opinion.

And you would be correct. Well said. !

Would he now? Why with the gross generalisations? Would you be ok if I said all Scots were alcoholic, wife beating, heroin smoking, ginger skirt wearers? Of course you wouldn't, it's a totally uncalled for generalisation based on nothing but bigotry and tired old stereotypes.

It's a shame that there is so much thinly veiled racism from some Scots on here and even more of a shame it is being allowed, not only on ATS but it seems to be acceptable in society for everyone to rag on the English, but god forbid we do it back...

I am Scottish, and old enough to see what Thatcher did to us Scots. We were her test subjects.
English folk genuinly look down on Scottish people. This is my 38 years on this planet speaking here. Your comments about Drink, although subtle, are what the English think of us Scots.

We are allowed an opinion here. And History tells us, England Shafted Scotland for as long as time can remember. I am not anti-English. But I have enough life experince to say 99% of English people I have met are anti-Scottish and we are a joke "Ginger hair", "Copper Wire was invented by 2 Scotsmen Fighting over a penny"...I could go on. and on, and on....

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

reply to post by YeshuaPiso

On this point about the UK ceasing to exist, I totally agree with you and you're right on every point.

As you have said, the United Kingdom refers to the Union of the Crowns of Scotland and England. If it ceases to be a unified political entity, then the UK could not then claim to be the UK.

England have collonised the entire world at one point, going around sticking flags in Countries in the name on "Britain". England STOLE the North of Ireland. England is a sh1thole, I dont hate all English people, but A lot of English people look down on Scottish people. FACT. Come to Scotland and you would see it, hear it, feel it.

Our National Anthem:

Check the lyrics. Send them "English" Homewards to think again. This gets played at Scottish International sporting Events. FACT.

Fought and Died for - Agianst the English.
Look at the lyrics they mostly represent anti-England
edit on 10/1/2012 by shauny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Quite the angry young man aren't you.

Just one point really - I suggest you do a bit more reading on The British Empire.

Scots took quite an active and leading role in spreading and developing The Empire.
And Scotland did very well out of it indeed, just look at the money Dundee made out of the jute trade.

I assure you, Scotland was a very willing participant in The British Empire.

Not everything is down to those dastardly English.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by shauny

Just one point really - I suggest you do a bit more reading on The British Empire.

Scots took quite an active and leading role in spreading and developing The Empire.
And Scotland did very well out of it indeed, just look at the money Dundee made out of the jute trade.

RIIIIGHHHHT,
If you want to believe this, then thats your problem kind Sir.
The North of Ireland was STOLEN and in the mid 1800s, 10s of Thousands of Irish sought Home in the West of Scotland to Escape the English. This is also a FACT. Any more rubbish you would like to present? I posted our national anthem, 2 videos. Its Anti English. I boooo the British National Anthem. Because I am Scottish. I may have a British Passport, but its not through choice, believe me. Irish and Scottish people are VERY similar, why? Because all over History we have been enslaved by the English. Please dont post rubbish to try and rubbish my claim. I dislike the ENGLISH goverment who still run Scotland. We have our own parliment sure, but it does HEY HAW ! (Nothing of note).

ps: Why did emperor Hadrian stop his wall at Scotland?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PapaKrok
Even the Romans couldn't beat the Scots, they just built a wall....

Hmmm...

The "Scots" didn't exist in Roman times, it was the Picts around then. If you bother to look it up, you'll find the Picts themselves were taken over by Gaelic/Anglo-Saxon people's and none remain today.

Yea, technically I'm Viking stock transplanted to France, then the Highlands....but that isn't as romantic

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Hmmm...

The "Scots" didn't exist in Roman times, it was the Picts around then. If you bother to look it up, you'll find the Picts themselves were taken over by Gaelic/Anglo-Saxon people's and none remain today.

Yea, technically I'm Viking stock transplanted to France, then the Highlands....but that isn't as romantic

emperor Hadrian, he built a HUGE wall at the very most northern point of England, And the Romans never came into Scotland. Scotland claimed its independance in 1707.
en.wikipedia.org...
Know your history people...please

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

You really are a hateful person aren't you.

I suggest you may take the time to read the whole thread, sure there's been some bollocks posted, by people of all opinions, but there's a lot of informative and enlightening posts as well, again from all sides, as long as you have an open mind.
Unfortunately far too many haven't.

Because there's nothing north of it worth conquering!

j/k.

All you seem to be doing is spouting romanticised bigotry and nonsense.
38 years old?
I suggest you do some serious soul searching because you are going to end up a very bitter and twisted auld man at this rate - and that is a complete waste of a life.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

reply to post by shauny

Because there's nothing north of it worth conquering!

j/k.

Oh look, another joke, aimed at Scottish People.
Racism in ANY from, is not funny. Scottish people invented the stuff, that makes it possible for me to a call you a bigot.

And you know nothing off me, lonely old man patter. As a Scotsman would say "Away and play with the Bus's yun erse"

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The main differences between Scottish and English culture stem from hadrians wall, but at the end of the day we're all from the same native stock if you chase our ancestry back and who know doesn't have a scottish relative, or an english one? Our cultures are interwined as is our gene pool. This is just plain silly talk, we're one country and have been since the union act which you are citing as "Scottish" Independence.

Plus learn your history then buddy stating Northern Ireland - Northern Ireland was settled by both English and Scottish citizens, not just English - Scotland has helped England through all of our "dark history" with Scotland having some of the best troops and minds the world has ever seen.

You should be grateful for what the English done to your country, turning it from a backward (in terms of industry) society into one of the world leaders, ushering in a Scottish Enlightenment.
"Scotland was a poor rural, agricultural society with a population of 1.3 million in 1755. Its transformation into a rich leader of modern industry came suddenly and unexpectedly in the next 150 years, following its union with Britain in 1707 and its integration with the advanced English and imperial economies.[43] The transformation was led by two cities that grew rapidly after 1770. Glasgow, on the river Clyde, was the base for the tobacco and sugar trade with an emerging textile industry. Edinburgh was the administrative and intellectual centre where the Scottish Enlightenment was chiefly base"

No, its not through your choice but its through the choice of your ancestors
"By the start of the 18th century, a political union between Scotland and England became politically and economically attractive, promising to open up the much larger markets of England, as well as those of the growing British Empire. With economic stagnation since the late 17th century, which was particularly acute in 1704; the country depended more and more heavily on sales of cattle and linen to England, who used this to create pressure for a union.[45][46] The Scottish parliament voted on 6 January 1707, by 110 to 69, to adopt the Treaty of Union. It was also a full economic union; indeed, most of its 25 articles dealt with economic arrangements for the new state known as "Great Britain". It added 45 Scots to the 513 members of the House of Commons and 16 Scots to the 190 members of the House of Lords, and ended the Scottish parliament. It also replaced the Scottish systems of currency, taxation and laws regulating trade with laws made in London. England had about five times the population of Scotland at the time, and about 36 times as much wealth"

You were not enslaved by the English, its been shown in this topic how the union came about through a Scottish King coming to sit on the English throne. The Scottish rulers/leaders of the time were just as pivotal of bringing this into being and comparative to your population you have a lot of lords and mps for the time.

English people don't hate the Scottish people, the majority of us are related to Scottish people.

edit; taken from the source you provided.

edit on 10-1-2012 by RebellionOutlaw because: source

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RebellionOutlaw

You should be grateful for what the English done to your country,

edit on 10-1-2012 by RebellionOutlaw because: source

PLEASE TELL ME....THAT WAS A JOKE. PLEASE

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
and please before you start spouting #...

www.youtube.com...

embed that.

edit; If it wasn't for the creation of Great Britain, you would be a third world country.
edit on 10-1-2012 by RebellionOutlaw because: missed

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

reply to post by shauny

RIIIIGHHHHT,
If you want to believe this, then thats your problem kind Sir.
The North of Ireland was STOLEN and in the mid 1800s, 10s of Thousands of Irish sought Home in the West of Scotland to Escape the English. This is also a FACT. Any more rubbish you would like to present? I posted our national anthem, 2 videos. Its Anti English. I boooo the British National Anthem. Because I am Scottish. I may have a British Passport, but its not through choice, believe me. Irish and Scottish people are VERY similar, why? Because all over History we have been enslaved by the English. Please dont post rubbish to try and rubbish my claim. I dislike the ENGLISH goverment who still run Scotland. We have our own parliment sure, but it does HEY HAW ! (Nothing of note).

Sorry Shaunny,the North of Ireland was not stolen by the English,it was in fact settled or 'planted' by a Scottish king, namely James the 6th of Scotland/1st of England

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RebellionOutlaw
and please before you start spouting #...

www.youtube.com...

embed that.

edit; If it wasn't for the creation of Great Britain, you would be a third world country.
edit on 10-1-2012 by RebellionOutlaw because: missed

aaaannnnddddddd ? eh

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Hmmm...

emperor Hadrian, he built a HUGE wall at the very most northern point of England, And the Romans never came into Scotland. Scotland claimed its independance in 1707.
en.wikipedia.org...
Know your history people...please

Have you ever heard of the antonine wall ,built by the emperor Antoninus Pius ,runs between the forth and clyde rivers,kinda proves that the romans were in fact in Scotland and probably reached as far as the Highlands of Scotland
Scotland lost her independence in 1707 but with any luck she will claim it back

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Scotland The Brave played on Bagpipes
Lyrics:
Hark when the night is falling
Hear! Hear the pipes are calling,
Loudly and proudly calling,
Down thro' the glen.
There where the hills are sleeping,
Now feel the blood a-leaping,
High as the spirits of the old Highland men.
Towering in gallant fame,
Scotland my mountain hame,
High may your proud standards gloriously wave,
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave.
High in the misty Highlands,
Out by the purple islands,
Brave are the hearts that beat
Beneath Scottish skies.
Wild are the winds to meet you,
Staunch are the friends that greet you,
Kind as the love that shines from fair maiden's eyes.
Scotland the brave.
Far off in sunlit places,
Sad are the Scottish faces,
Yearning to feel the kiss
Of sweet Scottish rain.
Where tropic skies are beaming,
Love sets the heart a-dreaming,
Longing and dreaming for the homeland again.
Scotland the brave.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Outlawed Tunes On Outlawed Pipes

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Throughout all of this debate very few if any have mentioned the country of Norway .A country similar to Scotland in size, population,geography and also produces oil but, unlike Scotland, managed to bank some of the revenues it received from the said oil to save for a rainy day.It also is not a member of the EU but is doing alright for herself,so well in fact, that a lorry driver that lived in Sweden was caught speeding in Norway but because the Norwegian police felt he was from a poorer country they reduced his fine.Does anybody see that scenario happening in Scotland if she ever gets her independence, ie a lorry driver from England _javascript:icon('
') LOL

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I know what the commonwealth is. I thought the intent was to remove from the commonwealth. Seems contradictive to me but then I don't know much about it all.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join