It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is going down on Atheism

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
It's important that we learn to love one another, both atheist and literalist fundamentalist alike.

Albert Pike was incorrect about how the energies of Christianity and Atheism will inevitably exhaust themselves, leaving nothing but for the "Luciferian Doctrine" to take their place. At the very least, I think it would be nice to prove him wrong...

Don't you?

Personally, I happen to agree with Terrance McKenna (himself very anti-religious), that Christianity has a very significant "chip in play"..

And properly presented and understood, something tells me that the Atheists are not about to stand in the way of it in the final analysis.

bumping this because i think it's noteworthy..

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
blah blah blah, these types of thread are so pointless I only read like two replies and then skipped to the end. If you are a believer, belief being the acceptance that something is real then that in itself should make you content. The mere fact that people come on to try and prove their beliefs gives the appearance of doubt within themselves making this whole thread contradict itself.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by doubleplusungood
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Hi

I think you are misrepresenting the numbers in your sources.
Using the same source you did, I get different figures for number of non-believers in the world. www.zpub.com...
The total number of non religious people is 841 million people or 14.7% of the worlds population (this was 15 years ago), you quoted 2.4%. Just a bit of a difference! Think you may have used the new-religionist statistic by mistake.

Using a different source:
www.adherents.com...
Gives the total number of non-religious people as 1.1 billion.

Both of these sources state that they are estimates but both of them are much higher than the 2% you claim.

I don't understand why atheism bother you. Why do people have to belive in what you believe? You have faith in a certain thing and that gives you (I assume) inner peace, I think that is a beautiful thing, but why would you question someone who gets that feeling in another way?

The rest of the world that aren't christian or secular believe in a different god to you. Does that mean they are all wrong too?

Or is it more important to believe in something?

I thought J.C said let he who is without sin cast the first stone and turn the other cheek.
Why not do that then?
Live and let live I say.

It's cosmetic. Anything to promote a product, which can't promote itself.
edit on 14-9-2011 by bogomil because: typo

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meekbot2000
I feel like more and more young people are becoming Athiest as they question the nonsense passed down to them through their parents and grandparents.

Isn't it interesting what availability to real information and free to think can do.

There is real history during the time the mythical Jesus was supposed to be. There were several men known as Jesus. But nothing matching the bible myth.

Its really twisted and scary when you watch kids forced into propaganda indoctrinations like Jesus Camp.

I do think a large number of those who go to traditional churches are moving more toward Spiritualism - - - and away from the hard core. I don't think many will step out of the "god circle" completely.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

The ARROGANCE of the pitiful atheist is amazing.

you actually have the nerve, after posting what you did, you call atheists arrogant and pitiful?

Pot, I'd like to introduce you to the kettle, I think you two will get along famously.

Now I could post up the study that shows the higher a persons intelligence, the less likely they are religious, but I won't, because that wouldn't be very nice. I could also point out that religion is tired directly to income, but again, that wouldn't be very nice.

Actually, it might be a bit arrogant.

The sun is setting on something, and it sure isn't science.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BruceEFury

Originally posted by GmoS719

Originally posted by BruceEFury

Sorry.. god created me to think this way.. to not believe in him,
to use science to find truth, to question his teachings.

I won't let a christian get me down any day, I just reply with the same question.
Where's the proof?

When you are sitting in front of your maker, answering for every time you denied him.
Begging and pleading, trying to convince him why you should be accepted into Heaven.
God will look down at you and say "Where's the proof?"

What is he going to do, send me to hell? The bible states that god is filled with never ending bliss and happiness.. if that we're true, he wouldn't send anyone to hell. I'm not going to follow a 2000 year old text, over FACTUAL EVIDENCE of evolution.. Let me guess the world is 6000 years old? If god created us who created god? What about all the other religions.. let me guess they're wrong? If they don't have faith in Jesus they're wrong. The bible even supports that everyone is created equal.. okay obviously not because Jesus was the son of god. That's a contradiction. The bible has so much contradiction a snail could see it.

God is love and compassion, but he is also a justified and jealous God. (Nahum 1:2)
THIS IS WHAT THE BIBLE ACTUALLY SAYS:

The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation." Exodus 34:6-7

"This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:"1 Cor 2:13-15

"But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus." Romans 3:23 (This is how we are all equal...we all have free will and all have sinned)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by IHEARTBACON

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." Matthew 7:14

I realize that quoting scripture is not validation, for many, that there is only one way to heaven, but for me it is more than enough. Hey, if I am wrong, what have I lost? I have lived a good and moral life. But if I am right I have gained eternal life with my heavenly Father. I have no reason to not have complete faith in the Word of God, its has never let me down.
How is giving an intellectual assent to the existence of Jesus a difficult road?
Obviously Jesus was talking about A WAY.
The early believers before being called Christians called themselves the followers of the way.

It is easy to sin. It takes an effort to be slow to anger, not to judge, to love others when they may ridicule you. To wake each morning and study the word, to get up on Sunday even when that is my only day to sleep in and take my family to church. It would be much easier to just live for myself.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

This whole thread is pointless. OP ruins his own argument by saying he's a chrstian then goes on to show the exact opposite of the teaching of Christ. Here is what op did wring;

1. He is judging people
2. He is condeming a group of people base on beleif
3. He shows hatred towards people based on their beleifs alone.

Yea op religion really does a lot of good and shows us the way to better lives! Not. You disprove your whole religion when you make a thread like this. Your train of thought is brainwashed. Whenever you discriminate against your fellow man, you fail. You don't realize we are all equal. And perhaps we ourselves are god.

Could it be that all of life is simply the universe experiencing itself in an infinite amount of ways? Afterall we are all energy, and made up of the same stuff. And energy cannot be created nor destroyed. When you hurt others, you are only hurting yourself.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Oh I don't know. I think religion is one of the best promoters out there. Eternal salvation and enlightenment for the chosen ones and damanation and pain for everyone else, that is a pretty tempting offer.

I tend to stay out of the whole religion versus atheism debate, but when someone starts misquoting numbers.......

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

If a father punishes his child for doing something wrong.
Does he hate his child?
No. It isn't hate.

Are you serious? More like.

If a father sprinkles immortality dust on his child and throws him into a brick oven to burn for eternity.
Does he hate his child?

The answer is either yes, or he's completely crazy.

------

Lets say one day you have a son. And he's only a toddler at the time. So you put a cookie jar out in the middle of the room where he's playing, and tell him he can do whatever he wants except eat a cookie out of that easily accessible jar....95 percent of children will eat the cookie because that's just human nature.

So you come back into the room and tell your child that because he ate that cookie he's kicked out of the house, he's going to burn for eternity and all his children will suffer until the end of human existence.

Sounds like a loving father to me.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I am an atheist. I don't hide it. I am not a criminal or insane. The tone in which the OP wrote this thread clearly demonstrates why I believe the way I do. I believe differently than the OP. Yet he writes in a demeaning and insulting way. I value all human beings regardless of their beliefs. I would never want to be someone like the OP who is so quick to insult and judge those who are not of like mind. It totally sickens me. If he represents all of Christianity or the world's religion, I want no part of it. Never have, never will. For me, these Christian types need to go back and revisit the teachings of Christ. They simply missed out on the message he spread.

edit on 14/9/11 by applebaum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

So a full 97-98% of the world's population are believers of some sort as opposed to about only 2% claiming to be atheists.

Could it really be that only 2% of 6 BILLION people - have the truth while the remaining 5 billion 850 million people have it all wrong? Gee - what are the odds of THAT?

it would be interesting to see if a poll on ATS for what type of beliefs we hold or dont hold would show this 2% to be true.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Where do I start? - The Op made a very valid point about the volume of people who believe in God and actually we should be looking at evolutionary reasons why this is. I believe that there is an advantage to believing in God but have not figured it out. Interestingly scientists have shown that pigeons are superstitious. They make set patterns when grabbing food - when it is delivered at random times in a laboratory. So the need to believe in God may be in other animals as well.

As for Christian, aetheist or any values - these are the values that we need to get on. Fundamentally we are pack animals and need to work together to survive, Christianity spells out / makes clear those values. Had we been lone animals like e.g. a Lion with a group of Lionesses then our values would be completely different and the current Christian values would be positively heretic.

Still good point about numbers if the rest of the Op was simply playing to stereotypes.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto

Originally posted by Fox Molder

Originally posted by graphuto

Originally posted by Cantmakedisup

STOP HATING ON ATHEISTS!!! It's really annoying.

DON'T CALL US PITIFUL!!! I don't want, nor need, your pity, so save it for someone who cares.

Oh and maybe a source or two for the "facts" you claim.

Atheists don't care if you want to believe in a bunch of made of nonsense. Why do you care that we don't believe??? Why is it so important for the religious folks to try to impose their beliefs on us??? I just don't get it.

Keep your religion for yourself.

Because we dont want ANYONE to be seperated from God in the end. What's so hard to understand about "WE FEAR FOR YOUR SOUL?"

I just about pissed myself laughing so hard...Soul...Come on now...Save your own if you believe you have one....I am nothing more than a mammal, no different than a Chimpanzee or a whale...Just a being existing caused by natural changes in evolution of a favorable environment. No soul as far as I'm concerned, humans are no different or better than any other creature on this planet or any throughout the galaxies. Now please.....Stop trying to convert everyone and move on to your holly wars with other religions.....Atheist don't fight holly wars....We are rather peaceful.

If you're no different than any other mammal, how would you feel about being kept in a zoo? Or killed and eaten for food? Maybe YOU'RE no different from a chimp or whale, but I sure as heck am! I have consciousness that allows me to reason.

I never said we as humans were not sentient or had a conscious, I meant that on a physical level, anatomically speaking, we are the same as any other mammal, we are a branch of mammals called humans, that's all. We "evolved" and I use that term very loosely as for we seem to be getting smarter yet continue to destroy ourselves for profit and land but ...That's another issue......And to answer your question as to how would I feel being locked up in a zoo? I'd be pissed, just like the elephant is or the lion is and as for being hunted and eaten as food...Well...I guess at some point of the human evolution, we were food to something else, we dealt with it and came out on top of the food chain. Don't worry though, the way I see it, the next big hit, what ever it is, might just wipe the human animal completely off the face of the Earth and after all, it's only fair that some other species gets it's shot to get it right. Dinosaurs lucked out, we are on our way out so maybe what ever survives, probably the insects one will come out on top and evolve in to something smarter than a human ???!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by undo

Actually, the term “bird” in Leviticus 11:13 (as well as Genesis 1:20-30) is translated from the Hebrew word ‘ôp, which literally means “flying creatures”

ah yes a classification. wonder who decided that flying creatures = bats specifically, because from what i can tell, birds and bats are both flying creatures, versus creeping things, etc

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

There is real history during the time the mythical Jesus was supposed to be. There were several men known as Jesus. But nothing matching the bible myth.
Josephus talks about an old man who was well known and respected in Jerusalem who was a former High Priest. He went about calling down to the people of the city from the walls, telling them to repent, otherwise the Romans would kill them all.
If you read the Gospels, that was Jesus' basic message.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Well, nice for you, you take the difficult path of Jesus by going to church on Sunday instead of sleeping in. Very commendable and I suppose that was exactly what Jesus meant.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by applebaum

I value all human beings regardless of their beliefs.
A true worshiper of the god in who's image we are made. (whether you think of in that way or not)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
See this is what i always complain about on here...

Why is this tripe not put in the Hoax Bin?

There is as much proof about it as there is the Loch Ness monster.. or Fairies... infact there is more circumstantial proof about Faries Due to Geographical Reports of Sightings...

By the way i dont even need to Provide proof for that as the only proof for your opinion can be a book written by a guy who felt he had to right a book about things he thought... or another book with the same issues!!!

So as the second Post said we are going to Hell... and Hell is real.. i want proof.. prove it too me.. summon the dark lord, send him round my house (dont worry he's the dark lord he will have my address) then repent explaining to your God you were showing a non beliver the path to enlightenment... im sure he'll understand!!!

AAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

that is genuianly my only reaction... how come if i openly attack someone for being Chrisitian Muslim or Jewish.. by tormenting them, telling them there life has be a farce, a shambles, generally a walking embaressment to the enlightened human race i would be told that i am being off topic or in some way cruel...

Yet if it is done the other way its shrugged off as a religous View point and OK, this is the PC crap that is wrong with the world... if you want to make a religous post on here the moderators should change the rules... it should be a PUT up or SHUT up case here..if you can provide proof.. you can only state this is theory... if you do not then you are as open to ridicule as everyone else... you will not tell me i will go to hell, you will not tell me God in the redeemer and you will not tell me that Sins are a thing of anything other than man as i will not accept your garbage anymore!!!

/end Rant/

Just my thoughts.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by Annee

Josephus talks about an old man who was well known and respected in Jerusalem who was a former High Priest. He went about calling down to the people of the city from the walls, telling them to repent, otherwise the Romans would kill them all.
If you read the Gospels, that was Jesus' basic message.

Much of Josephus work has been found fake - - - embellished by others.

Especially those references to Jesus.

Myths tend to be built/embellished from real events - - - insignificant or significant. It doesn't take much to start gossip.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join