It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is going down on Atheism

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Hi

I think you are misrepresenting the numbers in your sources.
Using the same source you did, I get different figures for number of non-believers in the world. www.zpub.com...
The total number of non religious people is 841 million people or 14.7% of the worlds population (this was 15 years ago), you quoted 2.4%. Just a bit of a difference! Think you may have used the new-religionist statistic by mistake.

Using a different source:
www.adherents.com...
Gives the total number of non-religious people as 1.1 billion.

Both of these sources state that they are estimates but both of them are much higher than the 2% you claim.

I don't understand why atheism bothers you. Why do people have to believe in what you believe? You have faith in a certain thing and that gives you (I assume) inner peace, I think that is a beautiful thing, but why would you question someone who gets that feeling in another way?

The rest of the world that aren't christian or secular believe in a different god to you. Does that mean they are all wrong too?

Or is it more important to believe in something?

I thought J.C said let he who is without sin cast the first stone and turn the other cheek.
Why not do that then?
Live and let live I say.
edit on 14-9-2011 by doubleplusungood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto
If you're no different than any other mammal, how would you feel about being kept in a zoo? Or killed and eaten for food? Maybe YOU'RE no different from a chimp or whale, but I sure as heck am! I have consciousness that allows me to reason.

Sharks, tigers, bears, etc. eat us for food, especially in the ancient times when we were more vulnerable. If we lived in the wild today, there would be more stories of man being eaten by other animals. But today we live in luxurious homes within large cities or neighborhoods. I wonder if you looked at places like Africa, where people don't have the luxuries we do, how many of them are killed and eaten by wild animals?

We are lucky that our brains developed the way they did so that we could learn to domesticate other animals, grow crops, build communities, etc. There weren't always zoos, that is a recent development.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruePatriot1685
reply to post by graphuto

Was wondering, why is it that a person not of the Christian faith is doomed? If they live a good life and are a good person, I can't understand why, if there is a heaven, they wouldn't be allowed in. Why is there exclusivity? I get that the bible says so, but I've just always wondered why? I'm asking you because you seem reasonable.
edit on 14-9-2011 by TruePatriot1685 because: (no reason given)

OPINION ALERT

It is MY understanding that someone who has not heard the words is not held accountable. So the backwoods tribe in the Amazon where they have had no contact with the outside world, they would not be held accountable. There is exclusivity because there can be only 1 true God. On the other hand, when you live in a place such as America, where Christianity is widespread, people don't have an excuse. They willingly and knowingly decide to tell God to take a hike.

OPINION ALERT

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I get all that. I guess I'm trying to figure out why living a good life is not enough. Why is it not enough for god that we live a moral life?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Atheism and religion are both narrow minded ways to be. But if it makes you happy it must not be that bad. I have tried both or at least religion was forced upon me as a child but I must have been demon possessed because I never accepted it (to my parents sadness and grief) My parents really believe I am going to hell. I feel sorry for them, how horrible to live in such fear and sadness. I thought about Atheism and just like religion it screamed BULL# to me. So now I just let my mind flow and it all comes together on its own.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I get all that. I guess I'm trying to figure out why living a good life is not enough. Why is it not enough for god that we live a moral life?

OPINION

Because ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Back before Jesus died, they did blood sacrafices for repentance and atonement. Now that Jesus has done his thing, HE is the blood sacrafice for sin. That blood sacrafice doesn't exactly cover you if you don't believe in Him.

OPINION

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

On the other hand, when you live in a place such as America, where Christianity is widespread, people don't have an excuse. They willingly and knowingly decide to tell God to take a hike.

Damn, I wish I was born in an Amazonian tribe then. Btw, have you heard of Allah and the prophet Mohammad? If so, you should convert to Islam. If not, you will pay.

Just because we hear stories told from an ancient book, you believe we should just believe it without thought? Just accept it all as truth, without an proof of the validity of it?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Was wondering, why is it that a person not of the Christian faith is doomed? If they live a good life and are a good person, I can't understand why, if there is a heaven, they wouldn't be allowed in. Why is there exclusivity? I get that the bible says so, but I've just always wondered why? I'm asking you because you seem reasonable.
edit on 14-9-2011 by TruePatriot1685 because: (no reason given)

OPINION ALERT

It is MY understanding that someone who has not heard the words is not held accountable. So the backwoods tribe in the Amazon where they have had no contact with the outside world, they would not be held accountable. There is exclusivity because there can be only 1 true God. On the other hand, when you live in a place such as America, where Christianity is widespread, people don't have an excuse. They willingly and knowingly decide to tell God to take a hike.

OPINION ALERT

So it would be better to keep the christian thing to your self rather than risk telling someone about – if they don’t believe it after you tell them they will go to hell – if you keep silent then that wont be a problem

In fact why did baby Jesus bother coming to earth – if he kept out of the way – nobody would have to go to hell for not believing in him?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Hi

I find your answer quite interesting.
Is someone seperated from god if they believe in a different god to you?
Or is the belief in a god enough?
If an atheist found religion but it wasn't christianity, would you still fear for their soul?
What are your thoughts about pantheism or agnostism?

Cheers

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by outandopen

How is being an atheist narrow-minded? I simply state that I don't believe gods exist, due to lack of empirical evidence or proof. Do you believe in Santa Claus, the easter bunny, tooth fairy? If not, are you narrow-minded?
edit on 14-9-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
According to your video, there is a 1/1024 chance that I will survive the next ten days.

And you posted this video as proof of your religion?

propterhoc.wordpress.com...
edit on 14-9-2011 by loglady because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by doubleplusungood

Hi

I find your answer quite interesting.
Is someone seperated from god if they believe in a different god to you?
Or is the belief in a god enough?
If an atheist found religion but it wasn't christianity, would you still fear for their soul?
What are your thoughts about pantheism or agnostism?

Cheers

From MY understanding:

Belief in Jesus Christ and the God of Abraham is what is necessary. Belief in "A" god wouldn't be enough, as one isn't recognizing that Jesus lived a perfect life and was sacrificed for the purpose of salvation and atonement. I don't know enough about pantheism or agnosticism to have an opinion.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

So it would be better to keep the christian thing to your self rather than risk telling someone about – if they don’t believe it after you tell them they will go to hell – if you keep silent then that wont be a problem

In fact why did baby Jesus bother coming to earth – if he kept out of the way – nobody would have to go to hell for not believing in him?

Thankfully, in this present day and age, there is no one on these boards who has not at least heard of Jesus. He bothered coming to earth because "God so loved the WORLD"

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Thanks I always wondered that. O well, I suppose its to Hell with me then for my not being Christian. Also because I'm not Muslim. Too bad. I've wasted a lot of good years being a decent guy when I could have been out bangin lots of chicks and doing all sorts of fun bad stuff. O well.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TruePatriot1685

Was wondering, why is it that a person not of the Christian faith is doomed?

If you really want to know, just read Romans 2. There is a passage which basically says :Therefore, even Gentiles - people not under the Law of Moses, those who do not know of Christ - have an internal law from God, the natural law written in their hearts, according to which God will judge them.

Hope that helps.

Peace

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well see here, theres a loop hole for this religious non-sense. Its never to late to be accepted by jesus.. right? or wrong? I believe I'm right.....

So, you can steer clear of this religious garbage for the most of your life, then close to death, take your pledge to jesus, he HAS to accept you no matter what, no matter how large the sins and how many.

See I have no problem doing this, Just hope I dont get killed earlier than I plan

It all comes from a "just in case I was wrong" type thinking. The type I pride myself over most religious fanatics.
So what the hell? Heaven the what?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I feel like more and more young people are becoming Athiest as they question the nonsense passed down to them through their parents and grandparents. I remember being 11 and my mom sent me to sunday school, she was in shock when i asked her after if she actually believed what she was hearing. I mean talking snakes and giant boats with every animal in it, the earth was created by some invisible diety with playdough? really? In her days you just didnt question it, you took what you were told and you believed it. In the days now when the teh speakers of god are touching and molesting little children and preachers are using their position to make ridiculous amounts of money i want no part of their brainwashing system. More and more people my age (mid-late 20's) are realizing that their society has been shaped by misguided religious people. I have nothing against them, or any religion for that matter just dont force that nonsense onto me or my children.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Seed76

Thanks, to tell the truth, I knew that, but I was wondering more if anyone knew WHY that is so. But I was told why a few posts back. Thanks

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

So

A/ do we need to get a badge or something to signify that, yes we have heard it – and so christians can go bother someone else?

B/ if he so loved the world and people who >don’t< hear about him >don’t< go to hell – logically he should have stayed away

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by youwouldknow

. . .steer clear of this religious garbage for the most of your life. . .
When I was young I used to think I was going to Hell because I was not doing something I should be doing to be saved.
I could not quite figure out what that "something" was I was supposed to be doing.
Now, I think it is just being good and not evil.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join