It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is going down on Atheism

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well there is one nice thing about this 98% of the people in the world been all religious – it really makes the world is a pleasant and peaceful place to live, all the poor are fed and clothed as per baby Jesus’ instructions, the world which bible god created is well cared for – all thanks to 98% of the population been all holy and stuff

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
Well there is one nice thing about this 98% of the people in the world been all religious – it really makes the world is a pleasant and peaceful place to live, all the poor are fed and clothed as per baby Jesus’ instructions, the world which bible god created is well cared for – all thanks to 98% of the population been all holy and stuff

Of course - - and millions of dollars to keep us safe from gays.

What a world.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BernardShakey

Brilliantly done! I am on my feet giving you a standing ovation. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Ahhhh, the classic Argumentum Ad Populum argument; where just because a majority of any group believes something, that is MUST be true.

In that case, I suppose Santa Clause is also high on the list. Oh, I forgot that children grow out of that story because their parents don't continue to feed the fairy tale and they realize that it's all a bunch of baseless hooey. Sound familiar?

In my opinion the reason that there is such a small percentage of athiests is the same reason that there once were such a small percentage of Women Voters. Until the oppressed (and atheists are very oppressed by the religious) can managed to gain a foothold of logical discussion to where theists will actually listen to the other side of the story, then there will be continued ignorance and indoctrination perpetrated by the theist upon his children, his children's children and his children's children's children.

How can you stop a frieght train of fairy tales if the system is devised to scare the hell out you as a child (no pun intended) while at the same time convincing you not to think about even the most basic of questions about the "Official Story", and to deny blatant contradictions within the system itself? Pretty much it's like trying to stop that frieght train barreling down on you with a wall made of legos.

Most thiests behave and believe just like it as well. While the tracks may have gentle curves to the left and right, and the occasional up and down, they are blind to everything beside or behind them, so they only concentrate on what they've been taught, which is exactly what their parents were taught.

I don't have official figures, but don't you find it interesting that the most intelligent people on the planet, and some of the most successful figures in scientific/creative fields are atheist?

There are a small percentage of theists who are non-judgemental, that accept everyone and keep their beliefs to themselves, and you know what? They get along GREAT with us atheists, because they LISTEN, they RESPECT our opinion and our questions even if they cannot provide the answer, and they DRAW A LINE between believing in religion and claiming that it is the absolute truth and anyone who denies is will be forever tortured.

All in all, religion is just silly. And so is the outdated, barbaric concept of a God that as of right now is incompetent at running this universal show.

King
edit on 14-9-2011 by Kingalbrect79 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2011 by Kingalbrect79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
And lets not forget how quickly that whole Israeli-Palestinian thing was cleared up – all those Jews and Muslims kissing and hugging and being thankful that religions makes people just so good – I don’t know about you but I’m happy just knowing that 98% of people are religious and are out in the world being nice

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by LightAssassin

Catholicism is not Christianity.
edit on 14-9-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

I'll bite...

It's a sad day on ATS when a so called religious zealot like the Op cannot fully comprehend the fallacy of his/her remarks.

Dear RevGen...you done lost all credibility with that statement. A Christian is a person who believes and follows the teachings of Christ. That includes Catholics, YOU, Mormons, and countless other sects you would no doubt belittle as easily as the Atheists in your Op. That's not very Christ-like now...is it?

But please...do carry on your biased train of ignorant thought. I haven't laughed near hard enough.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
As an atheist, all I can say is...YAWN.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The sun is not going down on Atheism.

A recent survey showed that the top three belief systems were...

Christians 1.3ish billion
Muslim 1.1ish billion
Atheism .9ish billion

Here's the thing though, Christians feel that they have all the answers and everyone else is wrong.

Really?

There are 6.5ish billion people on Earth, and only 1.3ish believe in Christ.

Quick math will tell you that 80% of this planet believes in something other than Christ.

1 christian for every 5 humans.

...and we're wrong?

Just go about your life and let others do the same
edit on 14-9-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Oh dear here we go again. If atheists are so insignificant why the huge post! Nah. You quite clearly know we are right and post lengthy threads to try and justify TO YOURSELF that we are wrong.

Your fear and lack of faith is palpable.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
my personal view is that atheists are proponents of common sense, which is a good thing, however, SOME OF THEM lose all attachment to common sense if a person says, "hey look at this ancient text, this is actually confirmed. clearly our ancestors were not all lying, delusional idiots." that's when common sense goes whoosh out the window, and we are told among other things that:

1. because the catholic church said it, it MUST BE the truth about christianity. this is the fall back position, no matter how much evidence you show to the contrary, they insist that the only way to read the bible or understand other ancient texts is thru the lens of 1000-400 year old papal interpretations. PERIOD. nevermind that archaeology hadn't even come into being yet when this whole argument started.

2. that if all else fails, ALWAYS point to bad things the catholic church has done and make sure you apply this behavior to every single person who even dares to believe in jesus, because we all know if the catholic church said it or did it, it must be the truth about all christianity

3. never actually READ the proof of why the flood of noah wasn't a fable, rather, misquote already mistranslated texts, and ignore anybody that proves they are mistranslated due to 1000-400 year old papal interpretation being inferred unto the text. because the pope said it, it MUST BE the truth about the bible.

4. stereotype as many people as possible in the most aggregious way possible, then demand different treatment from foaming at the mouth christians.

etc ad nauseum etc.

that's about the gist of it. i rely on the common sense of atheists to separate the feverish fundie bent on destroying the planet (or at least anyone they disagree with) from the rest of the believers, but i am not so sure some of the fundie atheists are handling this situation any better.

edit on 14-9-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This topic hasn't turned out the way i had hoped and ive requested for it to be closed.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

reply to post by BruceEFury

The Bible is not meant to be a scientific description of modern biological categories. To the Hebrew of ancient times, calling it a bird was perfectly logical. To the ancients, creatures such as a bat were considered birds since they categorized all flying animals as birds. You have simply imposed upon the ancient text a modern system of categorization and then said that the Bible is wrong. This is a big error in thinking.

And you expect me to follow a religion... When in those times they didn't even know ANYTHING about bats.
I think they were trippin' back then. It must be the only explanation. Because frankly those times were THE most ignorant times of human history.

Oh wait... That must explain why religion came from those times...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Bats are highly irrelevant, the fact is Jesus still came and died on the cross and resurrected after 3 days beating death. And that's really all that matters.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtap66
As an atheist, all I can say is...YAWN.

Yawwnnn...

Damn that's catching, cut it out!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

reply to post by BruceEFury

The Bible is not meant to be a scientific description of modern biological categories. To the Hebrew of ancient times, calling it a bird was perfectly logical. To the ancients, creatures such as a bat were considered birds since they categorized all flying animals as birds. You have simply imposed upon the ancient text a modern system of categorization and then said that the Bible is wrong. This is a big error in thinking.

And you expect me to follow a religion... When in those times they didn't even know ANYTHING about bats.
I think they were trippin' back then. It must be the only explanation. Because frankly those times were THE most ignorant times of human history.

Oh wait... That must explain why religion came from those times...

actually, it just says flying creatures, not bats or birds. somebody (surprise, surprise) misquoted an already mistranslated text. it's no small wonder we have no idea what actually happened for the previous 5500 years of written history, since one side demands mistranslations are legit and the other side insists on misquoting mistranslations. the whole thing is a farce and not a sincere attempt to find out what actually happened.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Atheism will never die for there will still be those who view the world with an open mind far into the future. Atheists are not immoral. The religious say we are immoral because your logic says that without a god we don't know how to treat fellow man. Yet throughout history it has been religion that has caused war and death to the innocent. Even today, if religion did not exist MOST wars would not be happening. Notice I said "most".

Lets take christians for example. You believe without a shred of doubt that everything in the bible is true. Your only proof to it being true is the bible itself. The rest you leave up to faith. You claim we are alone in the universe one year then the next the Vatican says its ok to believe. If I were to walk out of the desert and say god spoke to me through a burning bush I would be hauled off to an asylum. Yet you latch on to these stories of possible fantasy as if they happened yesterday.

They are stories of Moral choices, decisions, and consequences. That is all they are. We have them today, we read them to kids in the form of dr. suess and mother goose fairy tales. Every few weeks we get an anti atheist or Anti Religous thread on here. How bout we just cut the crap and tolerate that we don't all follow the same path.

We are all still human, We all share this Earth. And until we can all claim our seperate planets in the name of our religion, sexual orientation, race, country, or whatever else. WE JUST NEED TO TOLERATE EACH OTHER!!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

They claim that all people are "born" atheists and that religion is merely taught or imposed. Apparently - our "intelligent" atheist friends have not thought that logic through very well.

They have thought it through better than you and other Christians have. Religion is usually taught to a person at a young age when they are impressionable and doesn't have the reasoning skills to tell if it's true or not. It's like Santa Claus kids believe in him because people they trust tell them he is real. When they grow up do they still believe in him ? No Because as they grow older they are able to understand that it is impossible for a person to visit every house in the world in one night. For a person to know religion and not be taught it can only be done in two ways first make it up like primitive man did. Second racial memories some animals have this as well as some insects mankind however lacks this ability.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Jepic

Bats are highly irrelevant, the fact is Jesus still came and died on the cross and resurrected after 3 days beating death. And that's really all that matters.

So where is he now!

Oh, I know, searching for brains, BRAAAINS!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Jepic

Bats are relevant. How am I supposed to follow the word of a man who has not even basic knowledge? I shouldn't.

I will not follow the word of an ignorant man. I will only follow the word from an all-knowing thing. I expect nothing less.

Point aside. Why do you blindly follow the bible? You are blind-faithed. That is not good. You have no way of knowing if the religion or God you are following is even real.

Think about it. Would such an omnipotent and all-mighty figure such as God really be tied down to symbols such as the cross, or designated places such as the church? I don't think so. If such a figure were to exist, I would believe he could be found inside of you. More precisely that place inside of you that is benevolent and selfless.

God has no name. Not even the name "God" itself does him justice. Surely if he exists, names would be petty. God is just a name WE came up with to be able to refer to this entity. After all we are human, we are not to be trusted with the word of the "almighty".

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
99.99999% of the world's population also used to believe that the world was flat.

I understand that you are scared to question what nearly every single person that you know believes. You have to go against your family. You have to go against your parents. Your friends. Your brothers ans sisters. Your husbands and wives. Your boss at work. Your coworkers. It takes courage, it takes the ability to be an outcast, to have people hate you for asking the difficult questions, for seeking the difficult answers.

I do not blame you if you are not an atheist. It takes a very special type of person to be willing to go against the world.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join