It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is going down on Atheism

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

Originally posted by David291
A question:

If jesus died for our sins, why is sin still such an issue? In my opinion him dying for our sins did nothing...nada...didly squat. Look around, take a nice look around the world and maybe, just maybe you will see how all loving your god is.
edit on 14/9/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

Read the bible. The very fact Jesus died for you has given you redemption, forgiveness. If only you'll accept it.

READ THE BIBLE.

That is like the biggest joke there is.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Reading the bible is what lead to me asking questions. Unfortunately the more I read the worse and worse and worse it became. The more questions I had and the deeper my search went. Until finally I learned that it is mostly fictional. Mostly made up. Now after having read the bible I do not even think that jesus was a real person. After reading the bible I think jesus is made up, never existed. Is a work of fantasy.

I am glad I read the bible because I learned the truth after reading it. If I DIDN'T read the bible and just accepted what priests tell me I would still be going to church not questioning anything they told me.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

A question:

If jesus died for our sins, why is sin still such an issue? In my opinion him dying for our sins did nothing...nada...didly squat. Look around, take a nice look around the world and maybe, just maybe you will see how all loving your god is.

Read the bible. The very fact Jesus died for you has given you redemption, forgiveness. If only you'll accept it.

READ THE BIBLE.

based on what information? papal interpretation? mistranslations? or critical papers written by people YOU AGREE WITH? i mean let's just be plain here. you know that people are going to offer their own evidence. then it's a matter of who has the better evidence. simple as that really

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

reply to post by fuzzy0087

Nope sorry complete lies, Zeitgeist has been debunked. so you can jump off that bandwagon for a start.

Zeitgeist has been debunked?

Really? By who.

By people who know what they're talking about. The guy who made Zeitgeist has absolutely no knowledge of history. I can show you a video if you like although im sure you'll decline that offer.

Uh huh.

You mean people you agree with.

No, i mean people who are educated in history and haven't just made things up. Half of Zeitgeist attack on Christianity is mostly lies. Literal lies about horrus etc which even any historian would refute.

Here you go!

edit on 14-9-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
On a final note before I go to sleep.

‎"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts

And on that note, Quit the Atheist VS. Religion threads and focus on more important issues like solving the dependency on oil, world hunger, or some other important issue. Learn to tollerate the differences we all have. If we will go to hell for being atheist or gay or whatever else then so be it. Its not religions job to save us, its religions job to be there when we need it. A shoulder to cry on if you will.

On Earth we are all mortals, We are not gods, it is not our place to judge others. If any god exists it is their place to judge us upon our death. Until then get along with the other people that share this Beautiful planet.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

i'm just starting to watch this video you posted. it's starting off on a good foot! most specifically, it's going to the meat of the question regarding osiris and horus. i have a slightly different take on this than traditional christianity, but i want proof, evidence, written evidence, that horus did all the same things, in the actual egyptian texts. when i receive that evidence, if i ever receive that evidence, my theory will finally have solid legs to stand on.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
first mistake he makes is to insist the egyptian history was mythological. this is yet another papal interpretation of ancient history, that was kept by the enlightenment scholars, and also maintained by some other christian faiths. ancient egyptian history is not mythology. it may be symbollic, metaphorical, occassionally dramatic, but it isn't a myth. it's mixed in with cultural tradition and folk lore, but easy to tweeze out the important bits by comparative analysis.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

A question:

READ THE BIBLE.

based on what information? papal interpretation? mistranslations? or critical papers written by people YOU AGREE WITH? i mean let's just be plain here. you know that people are going to offer their own evidence. then it's a matter of who has the better evidence. simple as that really

Well there are many ancient scripts. The scripts selected for the bible were translated from original language by novice monks. Anyone who's life revolves around god belief - - is going to read that "lean" into their translations.

IF - - the ancient astronaut theory is true - - there is zero way - - that perspective would be translated by novice monks. They would interpret only from the perspective of god.

And of course there is laws against blasphemy - - - some resulting in death.

The telephone game of inaccuracy is front and center.

While I do believe there is truth in the bible - - - there is no way it is truth.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
And how on earth would you know this? The bible is the Ultimate truth. All other truths simply revolve around it.
edit on 14-9-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

you familar with the babylonian tiamat?
reason i ask is, i think the opening passages in genesis are the more accurate version of the creation of the galaxies, in as much as they have attributed to the entity god, the method of creation and called the method, god. if you follow what i'm saying? they deified the tool of creation. not to say there isn't a divine council with a central figure of authority, just opening the conversation with a slightly different way of viewing the creation of the galaxies of the universe.

THIS is the method

Google Video Link

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raskadawg

So a full 97-98% of the world's population are believers of some sort as opposed to about only 2% claiming to be atheists.

Could it really be that only 2% of 6 BILLION people - have the truth while the remaining 5 billion 850 million people have it all wrong? Gee - what are the odds of THAT?

it would be interesting to see if a poll on ATS for what type of beliefs we hold or dont hold would show this 2% to be true.

ATS Survey Results: Origins and Evolution

there is a recent ATS survey that asks users about creation vs evolution that you might find interesting, it directly answers your question, religious folk seem to not have the majority they find in the offline world.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Annee

you familar with the babylonian tiamat?
reason i ask is, i think the opening passages in genesis are the more accurate version of the creation of the galaxies, in as much as they have attributed to the entity god, the method of creation and called the method, god. if you follow what i'm saying? they deified the tool of creation. not to say there isn't a divine council with a central figure of authority, just opening the conversation with a slightly different way of viewing the creation of the galaxies of the universe.

Thanks.

Not able to respond or go in-depth at this time.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

And how on earth would you know this? The bible is the Ultimate truth. All other truths simply revolve around it.

Any concrete proof.

Anything. I'll take anything.

NO - that does not include the bible.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fuzzy0087
‎"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts

Whoa. I've never heard/read this quote before. It really speaks volumes! (or canons or whatever.)

The statement I've read on this thread about how real atheists have NO morals is probably one of the saddest, most delusional opinions I have heard. It blows my mind. Before 2000 years ago there was no such thing as civilization because mothers ate their babies and everybody urinated on themselves and eachother.
Everyone cheated on their tests too. It's funny that all those early people, tribes, etc. didn't cover up their junk, considering we're all supposed to be ashamed of our naked bodies thanks to little miss Eve. Speaking of morals, as well as the bible... how 'bout that whole gaining-ownership-of-the-girl-you-raped business?

If I ever have children, I think I'll stick with Aesop's, and you know... common sense and a strong foundation of what is right or wrong... And elaborate on these things with my child, discuss them in real-time as they aren't writ on stone. My child will use their heart and will learn morals from his/her loved ones. It's very sad to have to digress that a moral compass doesn't come from a book. But y'know I might even throw the "golden rule" into the mix. It will be a foundation stronger than the fear of God. A foundation built on love and respect. Apparently (according to some people's logic...) the only thing keeping a true believer from torching the local retirement home is their faith... But hey, why be too afraid of repercussions when you can repent and sin over and over again. Who needs morals, as long as you are still loved by the big guy...
edit on 14-9-2011 by BernardShakey because: Sarcasm smiley

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

And which version of the bible are you reading? I lost count a dozen translations ago. Pray tell RevGen, is it the version that states that Catholics aren't Christians, no one is right but you, and that we'll all burn in hell with the Atheists because we haven't accepted YOUR Jesus as our savior?

Let me do a quick search here...

Sure enough RevGen...you're reading the Wrongo Version- translated by the serf Mercy I.M. Wrongo. Don't let the authentic frontier jibberish hit you on the way out.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Tuned Agent because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2011 by Tuned Agent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Intelligence has nothing to do with being atheist, being an atheist is simply a lack of a moral compass.

You think you can do what you want in this life and be criminals.

I have seldom read such a load of rubbish. Yes intelligence has nothing to do with being an Athiest and nor does the complete crap you've followed it with. In fact if I was to believe that utter rubbush of which you have posted here my IQ would in fact drop to a level which would be some what reflective of your own IQ.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Any concrete proof.

Anything. I'll take anything.

NO - that does not include the bible.

how do you prove a thing is accurate without using it in example? like, the creation of the galaxies thing, based on the original hebrew, says

Gen 1:1 ¶ In the beginning 7225 God 430 created 1254 853 the heaven 8064 and 853 the earth 776.

Gen 1:2 And the earth 776 was 1961 without form 8414, and void 922; and darkness 2822 [was] upon the face 6440 of the deep 8415. And the Spirit 7307 of God 430 moved 7363 upon 5921 the face 6440 of the waters 4325.

words with no number after them were not in the original text.so remove those words

beginning god created heaven and earth.
earth was formless void, dark face, deep. spirit god moved upon face waters.

the word for god there is elohiym, a plural word that means more than one god took part in the creation of the universe. remember now i've stated i think they deified the method of creation (black holes/wormholes), and that video i linked shows how each galaxy was created by its own super massive black hole? this may have been what lead to the belief that it was like a woman's womb. this resolved into the story of a female chaos dragon, tiamat, being the creator in the babylonian story which sitchin misunderstood to be a proto earth. cutting in half the dragon is cutting the worm hole in half, et.al, disengaging it, cutting it off at the throat, where most wormholes break off if they are going to, so it is no longer active.

the word for without form/formless is
tohuw
1) formlessness, confusion, unreality, emptiness

a) formlessness (of primeval earth)

1) nothingness, empty space

b) that which is empty or unreal (of idols) (fig)

c) wasteland, wilderness (of solitary places)

d) place of chaos

e) vanity

and the word for void is bohuw
which means 1) emptiness, void, waste

later in the text it says the earth was not created tohuw (formless in a chaotic state) so what is created tohuw? the english phraseology is mistranslated very slightly. it should read the creator was tohuw. as a result you can see why again, the tiamat legend came about. she's the chaotic abyss, which is the formless void, the places of chaos, from which sprang the galaxies of the universe.

in short, scientists just inadverently proved the first 2 verses in the bible are talking about the actual creation of the universe, a very long time ago. this leads me to believe the authors of the text, were given advanced knowledge of the universe that predated tiamat in babylon. tiamat is a wormhole.
edit on 14-9-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by IHEARTBACON

This is the path for me now and I am happy.
Thanks for sharing your testimonial and I hope this is inspirational for others, that you remained with your former belief in Christ through hardship.
Sorry about singling you out like that to urge you to give a testimonial but bless you.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by applebaum

If there is a "god" this entity is far beyond our ability to comprehend its essence. Any attributes we apply are merely human constructs used to define something we have yet to find the words that accurately describe its true nature.
I am a theist and feel the same way (just without the "if").
edit on 14-9-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by applebaum

A being with this type of supremacy would never ask another sentient creature to give up their life to redeem the sins of another. For me, the redemption/salvation concepts are beyond bizarre. A being of this type would just simply move on and not dwell on the faults of lower creatures. Nor would this being send them to some torturous pit in hell. I am certain of these facts. Why? Well, because they work for me and that is all I need.

I don't know about "redeeming sins" but I believe in the redemption of mankind on this planet as a whole. God would not ask a person who was of these people to be redeemed, to redeem the others. I don't think that would work, anyway. A god who is one step distant from the supreme God, could volunteer to die by emptying himself/herself of this god quality and becoming a mortal so as to be able to die as a man. There would have to be an actual death of a god for this redemption to be meaningful, so this man could be in turn redeemed in a way directly by God to an elevated position but could never go back to being a god as he was previously.
How would any of this even make any sense at all, you may understandably ask. There was a god who was given dominion of this world but was a jealous god who denied the gift of the earth goddess to man in the form of the tree of knowledge, and placed a curse on mankind for partaking of that present from a god other than himself. This jealous god made a blood oath to kill all mankind and it took the blood of an equal or higher god than that god of this world (the god of the "heavens", or air) to break that curse and to free us from the pit of hell so we need not fear death any longer.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join