It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is going down on Atheism

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

This was not something ever used to infer anything about the New Testament Jesus. This was something which happened in the siege of Jerusalem in 70 ad. This former High Priest implored them to open the gates to the Romans so as not to cause a slaughter (such as what did happen).

edit on 14-9-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Its all bullpoop you know. Anyone who thinks they understand God is foolish. I don't believe in that nor am I an atheist. If people wanna subscribe to either idea, go ahead, but your all thoroughly misinformed, and the religious people are just grasping to man made ideas- while the atheists can't look beyond the "physical realm". Just because the majority of people in the world fear life enough to believe in some contrived spiritual figurehead, doesn't mean your right.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by IHEARTBACON

Well, nice for you, you take the difficult path of Jesus by going to church on Sunday instead of sleeping in. Very commendable and I suppose that was exactly what Jesus meant.

[/quote

I was just giving examples of why the "narrow road" is a difficult one. Many wake and go to church on Sunday and are not Christian. So in no way does that make someone saved. I am just saying that it is human nature to sin and it takes effort to go against human nature. I think Christianity takes effort, like any meaniful relationship it requires a level of scarifice. Some will have more to sacrifice than others. I am completely aware that what I may sacrifice is small as opposed to what many others have had to give. But I hope that at least you can see that I am trying my hardest to not be seen as a hypocrite to anyone else. I am not perfect, but I would never disrespect anyone who believs differently. I value each person and their ideas. I have learned a lot from those that disagree. Not one of my responses have been mean spirited and I would appreciate the same.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JustinSee

We don't know God, I don't think, by reading a book or listening to a lecture or watching a video.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I am probably being a bit sarcastic and think you should not be so shy and so concerned about being a hypocrite.
I want to tell you something which may be a bit of a surprise but people on this forum don't know me.
I have a name and an avatar I chose for whatever reason but it is just an image on people's computer screen.
I can say whatever I want and it does not impact my personal life outside of this little world on this forum.
If I boast about being a Christian and say how wonderful I am, how do I benefit?
Do I have presents coming by UPS and disciples sitting on my doorstep? No.
I am saying if you are doing something good in your life having to do with Jesus, brag on him for what he did for you.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

This was not something ever used to infer anything about the New Testament Jesus. This was something which happened in the siege of Jerusalem in 70 ad. This former High Priest implored them to open the gated to the Romans so as not to cause a slaughter (such as what did happen).

Lots of real things happen in history.

I imagine there were lots of High Priests.

I know there's a word for taking something and trying to make it fit - - but can't think of it right now.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I am 19 years old. and seen myself as a Protestant for 17 years even tho i wassent faithful most of the time, i never went to church on Sundays except when the elementary school did and when i had confirmation at age of 13-14.

but after some years i finally changed my believes. I do not believe in God, why you ask? i wont support something that made most of the world war, seen terrible Christians, Muslims and other world religion. and how all thrash talks people because of their way of life.

What i believe?: i believe you can be free from rules of religion, obey rules or change them, treat other as you want to be treated, and live where No One criticize what you believe or what sexuality gender you want.

Atheism isn't really a fallen lifestyle. America is full of Believers. but if you look at other country such as Scandinavia(Norway, Sweden, and Denmark), and ofc France. its increasing rate of "Atheism" as you call it.

when you ask how all this beauty of World was created? is most likely long period of changing mass and The big bang theory.

hell i believe more and more into Ancient aliens on national geographic then what God created.

In the end we are all humans!

sorry for my bad vocabulary writing. born Norwegian, English is not my main language.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

Yep.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychedelica

what protestant church denomination ? cause as far as i know, confirmation is almost exclusively a catholic thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Atleast you admit evolution is a religion. Oh and for your information i nether had any religious beliefs "pressed" on me, i made the decision to become a Christian on my own at 20 years of age. Sorry to burst your bubble though.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm not trying to "make something fit".
I was just giving an example to illustrate your point.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Intelligence has nothing to do with being atheist, being an atheist is simply a lack of a moral compass.

You think you can do what you want in this life and be criminals.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Nice you been brainwashed son.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

In the end we are all humans!
Thank you for your testimony, fellow human.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by applebaum

"teachings of Christ." which you would know nothing about.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf
blah blah blah, these types of thread are so pointless I only read like two replies and then skipped to the end. If you are a believer, belief being the acceptance that something is real then that in itself should make you content. The mere fact that people come on to try and prove their beliefs gives the appearance of doubt within themselves making this whole thread contradict itself.

BUMP! is this thread still going?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Here is some good listening on a lot of the topics being discussed in this thread.

8/20/2011-Ravi Talks to Syria (part 1 of 1)
While visiting the nation of Syria last year, Ravi Zacharias had the unique opportunity to appear on a nationally broadcast Syrian television program. While on the program, he had the chance to share and defend his faith. Hear what he had to say this week on Let My People Think.
Ravi Zacharias

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I am probably being a bit sarcastic and think you should not be so shy and so concerned about being a hypocrite.
I want to tell you something which may be a bit of a surprise but people on this forum don't know me.
I have a name and an avatar I chose for whatever reason but it is just an image on people's computer screen.
I can say whatever I want and it does not impact my personal life outside of this little world on this forum.
If I boast about being a Christian and say how wonderful I am, how do I benefit?
Do I have presents coming by UPS and disciples sitting on my doorstep? No.
I am saying if you are doing something good in your life having to do with Jesus, brag on him for what hid did for you.

Did I sound boastful? That was not my aim. People on this forum don't know me either. I havent posted often on here and I have absolutely no reason to boast in anything I do. Just a thought though... I know that you can say whatever you want and it may not impact your life outside of this forum, but it may effect someone elses. I saw some posts that said the OP was being demeaning, judgmental and hypocritical. I just wanted other readers to know that this not the angle all Christains come from. I am the last person that should be judging.

Just to say a little about myself.. I am not a Bible thumper, I don't walk around with a self rightoues attitude. I m a Physical Therapist in SC, I have a son and a husband. My marriage has gone through ups and downs but thankfully we are still together and happy. Married my husband very young because I got pregnant (so obviously I messed up on the whole waiting until married thing). My son is now 8. I am 30. I love football and ofcourse bacon. I like to run and be active. Every once in awhile I have to fight the urge to have a cigarette because I know if I do I will want a whole pack. I like wine. I am human. There is alot more there, but the point is that along my journey of mess ups I always had God there. He always pulled me through. Telling a very Baptist family that i was preganant and not married was very hard. Most outside my church told me to abort it. Going to church with my belly growing and the church knowing my situation was hard. But you know in the end my church family and my blood family were there for me. they loved me unconditionally, that is all I wam trying to convey....What was conveyed to me. Unconditonal love. So now that I have passed throught that rebellion stage I see that the way I lived was harmful to me. God still blessed me despite my disobedience. This is the path for me now and I am happy.

People often say that all that is in church are hypocrites. Honestly, that is the best place for them. We all do things we shouldn't, we all lie, we all sin. .

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustinSee
- while the atheists can't look beyond the "physical realm".

I appreciated your comments. I hope you don't feel attacked by me. That is not my intent at all.
As I said earlier, I am an atheist. I will add the caveat that I sincerely hope I am wrong. Religion/God are simply human constructs used to explain the "presently" unexplained. I am open-minded. I entertain all possibilities when it comes to a life after this one. If there is a "god" this entity is far beyond our ability to comprehend its essence. Any attributes we apply are merely human constructs used to define something we have yet to find the words that accurately describe its true nature.

Your blanket statement that an atheist cannot look beyond a physical realm is inaccurate. Many do. Many entertain metaphysical ideas. In the end if there is a supreme being, this entity will be bound to the same laws of physics that govern the rest of the universe. Today, we may not understand those laws. You cannot prove a negative; therefore you must entertain all "logical" scenarios.

A being with this type of supremacy would never ask another sentient creature to give up their life to redeem the sins of another. For me, the redemption/salvation concepts are beyond bizarre. A being of this type would just simply move on and not dwell on the faults of lower creatures. Nor would this being send them to some torturous pit in hell. I am certain of these facts. Why? Well, because they work for me and that is all I need.

When you look at the construct of human religion from a non-emotional perspective, it makes no sense at all. Science does make sense to me. At least there are things we can observe and say are real. Beyond that, it is all speculation. Depending on how it is done, that speculation can be the thing that spawns further knowledge and understanding or can consist of repressive horrors. I prefer knowledge over some human-imposed inferno infested by tormenting demons and a tormenting, punishing God.

I don't like blanket statements about what I am or am not capable of. Others do not know what I think or feel. Granted, many try to dictate what I think and feel. That attempt to control others in this fashion demonstrates a lack of understanding about the true origins of humanity.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
So the sun is setting on intelligent, level-headed, rational, friendly & free thinking people. Good lord, it's a miracle...

As far as stats go, if anything... I thought church going and & seeing the ever so specific light was on a sturdy exponential curve. A downward one. I thought this was obvious. If one believes that each subsequent generation's children of indoctrinated parents are in some way extrapolating let alone not straying from their parent's religious lifestyle/belief system then you at least don't live on my continent. I'll try not to speak for others'.

I don't label myself as a Christian anymore. I work on Sundays, no real Christian would.
Seriously though, I don't subscribe to any of these organized religions but when a pious person rags on atheism all I hear is "Look at all the selection you have, and you can't pick one? You must be a sad, sad little person." Just kidding, what I actually hear is "My piety is like a warrant for supremacy".

Something that I truly find ignorant concerns a question and a response: "Do you believe in God?" - "Yes/No"
What is up with that, seriously. I would have two answers to the question: "Whose God?" & "No." Forget alternate religions, every single person in my ex-congregation has a different God.

If we're created in God's image, does God have a urethra? He's got the the potential, the choice to be a complete an utter "abomination", or a tyrant of mass murderous proportions? God, what have you done. We're just like you.

It's funny because if even more information, credence or proof were to come of the sacred virgin births on December 25th that just happen to predate the awesome nativitilicious event that inspired countless Christmas pageants... there's a slight chance I would grant it more interest and intrigue, and a 100% chance I would denounce the religion I was born into even further.

I am not morally bankrupt. Love is where it's at. I'm a pretty decent specimen of a human being, I'd like to think. I know there is more to this. I simply don't buy the quasi-illiterate homosapian of yesteryear turbo-edited, mistranslated rendition of it. I don't think it is anything like the Bible describes. Sorry but I don't need to explain what I believe in in order to approve of what I believe in to myself. I don't need to cough up scripture, or science.

Afterthought:
There's this young boy, his dad (Caucasian) is a general low-life but happens to be a Christian, he always has been. He hates immigrants and labels anyone with darker skin some pretty nasty things. They even have a picture of the J-man in their porch. Fast forward, freak accident. Young boy passes away. The boy is given the chance, his one true chance to accept Jesus Christ into his life and into Heaven. (Or however it goes.) The boy realizes Jesus is actually one of these "bleeps" his dad despises. The boy does not trust this figure and burns for ever and ever, amen? If someone was lied to, or didn't know any better or couldn't know any better... is St. Peter like "Oh, it's cool bro...y'all didn't know any better, c'mon in"? Are there better levels of Heaven for the people who accept Jesus in their early twenties than the ones who accept after their earthly demise?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join