It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning on heading for the hills or the woods when you hear the SHTF? You are not wanted.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
I'm personally excited to see the process of natural selection reenacted as the government has been severely weakening the human species for the past 70 years severly.

Indeed they have.

People who enjoy air conditioning and heating will have a very low temperature tolerance. In fact, anything designed to make your life more "comfortable" is in fact domesticating you.

Good to point out the bugs, a lot of people wouldn't be aware of them. But they probably won't go out there anyway once they discover there is no food (shops) there.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

many communities plan for disasters, some better than others.

when Quebec had a devastating ice storm they were able to save even the cats and dogs.

with hundreds of thousands in their shelters, the one thing that overwhelmed the plan was the drug addicts.

the plan was to use the hospitals for the elderly and others with medical problems.

watching a tv show about Puerto Rico on Al Jazeera, they mentioned hundreds of thousands of heroin addicts.

even if your area has only 10,000, good luck.

in less populated areas with small cities and towns, the people would work together.

when ancient Athens was burnt to the ground by the Persians, it rebuilt itself because of it's strong civil institutions.

when Rome was sacked by barbarians, it became a small village and was not rebuilt for a long time.

some areas, if not overly damaged, would be able to take in refugees, in a civilized way.

some parts of this planet are already disasters, even in the best of times.

look at hurricanes, in some areas people hug each other and get to work with recovery.

in other neighborhoods people loot and kill each other.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
First, I didn't read every post, coz I'm at work and it's 6 pages. LoL. So if someone already mentioned this, sorry. I would like to add a seemingly harmless creature to the list, that being the racoon. The majority of racoons are infected with a parasite, that the racoon itself is totally immune to, known as round worm. This parasite is a killer. Literally, that's what it's whole purpose is. Round worm is in racoon feces. Host steps in feces and gets infected. Round worm attacks any vital organ it can to kill it's host. Host dies, racoon eats host, cycle of life repeats itself.
edit on 29-6-2011 by BlackmoonJester because: Added how round worm is passed to host. I always forget stuff. sigh

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

you didn't read his thread did you????
he's not talking about "His" property rights...
he's trying to warn about about all the critters that will bite ya stab ya or sick ya....
some of those are indeed deadly...

yea, we got it.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
But in what kind of scenario would one want to run for the hills? I guess its at least 8 hour walk to actually escape the city, and you'd be out on the open all that time. It makes sense for a smaller village but not for a city packing millions of people.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
It is true that most people will die off just from not understanding the basic essential needs for survival. I grew up in rural Canada, moved to suburbia America (hate it). I look at most of the people, neighbors, friends, colleagues and co-workers, and I feel sorry for them. That being said, my survival is first and foremost, as well as my family's. I have no obligation to help any suburbanite family that has buried themselves in this falsified way of living.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Don't you just love people that don't read an OP in its entirety and then lash out because of their pure ignorance

Originally posted by thegoods724
ive gone camping and never experienced this horrible situation your talking bout, seems a lil ridiculous.

I assume by camping you mean; in a designated park/field that doesn’t have any trees, where you park your Camper trailer up next to the electricity plug. Whip on your aircon and then just relax? Yup... Sounds like camping to me

FYI - I wouldn’t consider his situation as 'horrible' - Sounds like bliss to me

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

I live in Florida, my property adjoins a 1200 acre preserve where I walk all the time and this spring on one such walk I rounded a corner and came face to face with a large black bear and two cubs about 40' away. The cubs ran off and the mother stood up on her hind legs looking at me, she was at least as tall as I am, now I know black bears are not usually aggressive but with the cubs there I wasn't sure what she was going to do. After looking at each other for a few moments I told her in a calm voice that she could stay there and I would leave her alone at which time I slowly backed up a ways then turned around and slowly walked away, the whole time listening for the sound of her coming after me. Normally I would have had my dogs with me and who knows what would have happened then. I can tell you that I am much more cautious when I walk now because you never know whats around the next corner...be it man or beast.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

This is all true and often forgot about when a SHTF plan is made for many people.
The vast majortiy of people are not as savy in the woods or wilderness as they think that they are in there minds.
Watching a TV show and having some spam, doesn't get it done.
There was a show done by national geographic about survivalist preppers, it was a good show and worth seeing...

If you think you can just walk out in the woods and or state/national park and live off the land your in for a rude awakining.
Thousands of others will be wanting to do the same...Go ahead and trespass on farmer browns land and see what happens, you'll be rolling the dice to just get across it...if you take an animal from the farmer...for food, you might be in real deep poop....thats still stealing and I don't know of a single farmer that doesn't have a gun...plus they stand up for themselves....by the way that animal is food, money and security for them...

The animals are security for the farmer, by it breeding and reproducing for more of said animal, it also is a lasting supply of meat, hides, and even an a warning signal of intruders, as long as they have...say chickens, cows and hogs...well if they have a garden, they can get by with little to no help from the outside world for food...so you better think before you act or cross an area...

This is just my advice to all of you who think you can take what you want during a SHTF...in fact in a SHTF, I believe they would be watching there homestead and animals a lot closer for just such things to happen...it is after all there property.

For you all to think its ok to do any of this...well it would be like someome comming to your house and walking into your kitchen and raiding your fridge, then going to your backyard and setting up camp and then using your ATM card and taking several hundred dollars from you....would you allow that to happen? So why should the farmer allow you to do that to him? That is exactly what many will do and think it is alright...of course they might be fertilizer if caught.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
OP you are right bro, i own and live on 3 acres surrounded by state forest in the North Woods of Minnesota, besides everything you stated, up here there is one massive thing that will make your retreat a lot more uncomfortable. Winter is as cold and snowey as the arctic, not having a toilet doesnt matter when your freezing your but off. i have already taken care of that myself, got the woodburning stove ready and a years supply of cut wood and a secure structure built with bug out in mind, with a hand waterpump to my own water supply. Creatures, weather, food, and ofcourse other people, it wont be as easy as people think, all i can really say, WATER IS LIFE, that is the key to survive.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The Sierra's had a pretty good snow pack this year. There's still a LOT of snow up top. I'm down at elevation 6200 feet.

We see and Bears and Coyotes on an almost daily bases. TWO coyotes with small dogs in their mouths running across the streets in the last week...

Why?... Too much snow..They're coming down to Lake Level for FOOD.

If you take a large city, and reduce the amount of food to feed people,they will go find food to eat for survival.

LIke these wild animals that don't understand THATS a house,THATS a domestic pet.

All they know is they're hungary.

I know people are supposed to be civilized,and "house"trained. But when you get hungary? What's the rules?

You think Mobs breaking into a Sears is bad now...Grocery Stores will have to start a different way of doing business.

No way will they tolerate flash mobs just stealing over and over from them. Pre prepared.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Perhaps this is a different view on things....I too am a Colorado guy. I grew up in the mountains. I hunt and fish. But seriously, if the SHTF I am not bugging out and heading for the hills. I live in a suburb of Denver now. There is wildlife within walking distance, a ton of small game, and rivers and ponds for fishing and water. Add to that fact that there will be an enormous number of abandoned houses to dismantle to make mine stronger and more defensible and I have a win win. I also have just completed a still for ethanol which I have an old jeep to run on. I am not hard core, but I have plans "jokingly" talked about with my neighbors. I honestly think we could become a self sustaining little community within a years time if needed. Be realistic people. Some of you men and women out there can make it in the woods and mountains. I know there is a certain breed of people who will survive, yet that doesn't make you any more rugged or badass than someone who survives in the city. It just means you have chosen a different path. Both will be hard, both will have pros and cons........Lets just make sure that if it is "us" left when (if) the SHTF, that we try to be civil to our fellow man. We will be the guides and shepherds for whatever life we intend for future generations.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I'm afraid the country folk have the upper hand, 1. Most city folk have never stepped foot into a real forest nor would they be comfortable in complete quiet dark, neverless could they navigate it. 2. Most city folk dont own guns, those that do have a wimpy little baby pistols that they dont know how to use or hit the broadside of a barn with. 3 Wait till they hear a coyote/wild dog for the first time they'll have a pant load. Good luck

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

If I'm Hungary will you be Turkey?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
That's the scary part.. At what point WILL I be considered Turkey and be eaten?

How hospitable am I going to be to share my food? 2 days for 20 people? Or 20 days for 2 people?

I squirreled away a stash.. How much do I share before I'm considered selfish?

Do I break out my secret stash? Then people will leave?

What about my secret secret stash?

I'm not going to worry about it. I know where the bears are. I'll send the flatlanders into the Den first.

Kill two birds with one stone..And eat bear for a while.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by imitator

Ya know I live in one of those small farming communities right now and I can say forget the SHTF with the cost of fuel and fertilizer going up and up and up... pretty soon there isnt going to be anymore family farms... take a look at how many farm auctions are going on right now... it's like a scene out the grapes of wrath

speaking of which...Soros &co are buying our farmland
"George Soros appears to be “investing” in farmground through the same puppet company that he used to get into the grain elevator and fertilizer business. The company is called Ospraie Capital Management and is buying up farmground in a joint venture with Teays River Investments as a partner."

randysright.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Sorry Bub, The title to your land is just a piece of paper just like our currency. When the SHTF your property rights will be gone as well. You can battle the people as long as you are able, but when you do, realize that the people will be considering you in the same vein as the elite.

If the cities become unlivable, the country folks will have to share or die.

Why have so many people starred this guys post when he clearly cannot READ the OP post? OP is not talking about property rights , why not re-read it? just so your clear.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

NICE!!!!

It is so funny when I here people with absolutely no training or exposure to the "wilds" talk as if they just picked up a Ranger Rick survival guide and plan on hitting the woods. Like the kid they made the movie about that just left civilization behind and starved to death in the woods becuase he never had one once of training.

I grew up in the old south where woodsmanship was part and parcel to the hard work on a rural far. It will be a very intersting mmix if the big SHTF events occur. I think it will be a lot of shoot first and ask later going on. Myself working on a major spread where I live next to big open tracks and have the same rule. If nothing happens at least I have a place to hunt and retire some day.

Good post.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

It seems that there are a few people that are determined to make my post something other than what it was intended.

Let me set the record straight. I started this thread after my city dwelling young nieces and nephews came to visit during summer break. My brother and I grew up in the country about twenty-five miles from the nearest thing you would call a town. The city was a good seventy-five miles away. Our cousins used to make fun of the fact that we had no street lights, but they enjoyed spending their summers in the country and they learned a lot of neat things. They learned to ride horses, how to milk a cow, how fish and crab with nothing but a piece of string, a hook or a chicken neck.

My brother thought his children would enjoy spending some time in the country. He was wrong. The first thing they continuously complained about was it was too hot to go outside. They almost killed themselves trying to get away from dragonflies that took to flight when they were disturbed as they walked through the grass. Of course, the more they ran and screamed the more dragonflies they disturbed. Thank God they didn’t see any snakes, but every worm, bee, spider or any other insect for that matter became an Emmy winning performance.

My time with my darling video game addicted young ones reminded me that some people that have plans to leave the city to take shelter in the woods or the hills do not have a true understanding of what it is that they may be faced with.

I know no matter what I say, someone is going to take offense. This is ATS, so every post is filled with covert symbols, signals and meanings. This is ATS so you cannot take anything that is written at face value because the OP is out to get you or someone. That is just the way it is in this woods, but I am going to try to get this thread back somewhere close to its original path.

I will start where I started before. We do not own the land. My grandmother used to say, “How can you own something that was here before you even existed and will be here after you are only a fading memory?” She taught that the true owner of the land were the animals and that we were only stewards of the land.

I just happened to be born in the country and it is about all I really know. If I was set down in the desert, the mountains or the ocean and had to survive for more than a couple of weeks, I am not sure how successful I would be. Every terrain has it pros and its cons under the best of situations. In a live or die situation the playing field is never even because no matter how you look at it the fauna of our planet have the upper hand. Brains and brawn will never out run numbers.

During normal times most animals, reptiles and insects don’t want anything to do with us. They deliberately place their habitats away from areas that are frequented by man. That does not mean that just because you don’t see them that they are not there. They are sometimes poor judges of exactly what constitutes a safe distance to avoid our intrusion, yet close enough to take advantage of some the items that we bring to the table.

Animals in the wild unless they are diseased or hungry, do not want us around and they avoid us if they can. As I said in my original post. “You are not welcome”. You are and intruder and a threat. If the SHTF, food will not only be scarce for humans it will be scarce for the animals as well and they will not be eager to share. Again as I stated in my original post, you may start to look like dinner and the hungrier they are, the less fearful they become and the more organized.

Unfortunately, the truth is the hungrier and more desperate we become the less organized we tend to be and bravery is replaced with foolhardiness.

My first post was intended to be humorous not offensive. I see that it was an epic fail in that category but maybe that is good thing. Maybe this is a subject that should be void of humor because if things get really bad, regardless of the cause, the more we know about the risks that we may have to face the better.

In my original post I suggested that maybe there were people here on ATS that had the experience and the knowledge in the area of survival that could share some tips on how to make a bad situation more tolerable and safer. I was hoping that we could share ideas and to point out some of the pitfalls that may be overlooked.

We don’t have to limit the topic to just the country because some people will be in the mountains, desert, cities, even at sea.

Can we stop attacking each other long enough to make this thread something other than the attack fest that it has disintegrated into? If we can't hold a civil conversation before things get bad what chance do have it things really do get bad?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Sorry Bub, The title to your land is just a piece of paper just like our currency. When the SHTF your property rights will be gone as well. You can battle the people as long as you are able, but when you do, realize that the people will be considering you in the same vein as the elite.

If the cities become unlivable, the country folks will have to share or die.

Gonna have to agree with you on this. If or when the s*** really does hit the proverbial fan, land titles won't mean squat.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join