It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning on heading for the hills or the woods when you hear the SHTF? You are not wanted.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Wow, well it sounds like maybe the critters have it out for you!

They've definitely had it out for me on several occasions.... I almost lost my leg to a Brown Recluse bite that went unchecked for a week. It looks like a scar from a gunshot wound. I tore apart my house for weeks looking for that biatch. Finally, about a month later I was checking my sheets (as I started doing every night) and there she was!!
Waiting for me to crawl into bed she it could bite me again.

I actually called my girl into the room and put on gloves and proceeded to torture the spider.

Normally, I am a nature lover, creepy critters dont bother me. I rescue spiders and even feed them on occasion. But in this instance, it was the principal.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

The brown recluse is a nasty little beastie. You were lucky. Your wound is tiny compared to most and some have even lost a limb to the tiny little rascal.

Heads up. They also like to hang out in your dresser drawers so make sure you check everything inside and out before you put it on. That includes you shoes. If you had one in your bed, it is highly likely that you have others hiding about. They like the dark but the usually prefer places that go undisturbed for long periods of time.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DOcean

1) I think your dillusional stating this assumption. Who in the right mind would stay put in a city filled with masses in panic, when SHTF? Not only would they be rioting and looting for themselves and their familes, but it would be every man for himself, which im sure will eventually end up being a giant killing spree/chaos in order to survive. In my opinion, roughing it in the bush is alot better and safer then having a loonatic with a baseball bat trying to beat your head in for your car keys/supplies/shelter.

2) Again are you dillusional? What isn't apealling about a rural area compared to a urban area when SHTF? Sure there may be more food, for the time being, but do you think that food is going to be easy to get? Do you think, that after the masses have been informed of a catastrophic event, that threatens their lives, that one of their first instincts would not be to go to the local esso to horde some jerky and chips for themselves? Do you really think that you'll be able to waltz in casually, and take your pick off the shelf, of limited quantities , while everyone else waits their turn?Come on now... The first place the population will head will be to the grocery stores/convience stores, untill everything is gone, and it'll be a miracle if no one is killed in the process. Now sure, food would techically be easier to come across then say in the bush, but over half of it is refrigerated, and no good for the long term anyways, and you also gotta kill or be killed to get it

3) So just because there's more currency associated with cities, means people in the country are poor? false. And even if that statement were true, an automatic weapon is not worth millions of dollars guy, anyone with a moderate or even lower income can afford one, heck you can pick one up off the internet right now for under two grand. Also, do you really think a urbanite city slicker will be more likely to have more firepower in his arsenal then the "redneck hick" who lives out in the bush? who is free to fire his weapons, and use them anytime he pleases? haha don't count on it. Just because we hunt, doesn't mean we don't enjoy the sound of an ak bustin out 600 rounds a minute.

4)And again an irrelevant statement. Not only would most of the food have gone bad/be gone, who would be stupid enough to go into a population center where undoubtly there is still much turmoil and chaos happening? Part of moving to a rural area would be to attempt to survive off the land, which is not easy, but is possible, besides why not take what mother nature does have to offer? Another quick tidbit, keeping a copy of your address?
who does that??

Anyways all in all, I myself think the likely hood of a SHTF scenario happening is very slim, if not almost impossible. Sure there's a chance it could happen, but in our lifetimes? i don't think so. Sure its fun to brag and share stories how we would each survive, and conquer and prosper despite such awful events happening, but in reality the bulk of the population, including many country hicks, and including us
will not be ready, and not be able to survive. As someone else has stated before, technology has weakened us over the centuries, and we have became to dependent on these everyday luxuries which to us are now necessities. In a SHTF scenario, there would be no electricity or running water, or packaged foods we would buy at the local super market, we would have to fend for are selves and survive on own, with no help. Most, if not all of us, have grown up with these technologies and luxuries, that people did not have say back a hundred years ago, and really im not sure if such a abrupt change of life style from having it all to having nothing will leave many left alive. But hey, thats just my take on it.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
You forget, most of us who are planning to come to the woods for shelter already have a plan or know enough about the woods to be prepaired for the woods. Or at the very least been to the woods enough times to know what to look for. You make it sound like this place "the woods" all of the sudden came into existance and the rest of us are have never been there before. Sir I think these woods you speak of have been there since before man. so I think us humans have learned a thing or two about the big bad scarry woods. Becides I and I imagine a whole buch of other people looking to this place for shelter are bringing a whole buch of guns, bullets, and matches, so we will either shoot it, burn it or tame its ass into domestication.

Sure there are those few out there who have and will never have a clue about the nature of roughing it, natural selection will weed them out, so there will be more resources left for the rest of us wont there.
about nature not wanting us there, well I kind of take offence to that, on behalf of all the people who happen to make a living while they still can in the cities whether it be for family or self. These people have as much a right to be anywhere they want to as anyone else, this one of the reasons for the unrest or TSHTF cenario.

You can try and be all politicly correct and all that, but when TSHTF, I dont think anyone will be carrying a law book or code of morals and it will be every man or family for themselves. so any line you think might exist on what you believe to be YOUR property will cease to exist and if it means the diferenc between me or you and your property or your naighbors little privacy issue well my 7.62x54, or x39, or 12g, 44mag, 45acp, crossbow, mosen nagant will settle it in my favor. In now way am I saying anything derogitory towords you at all, this is all theoreticly speaking except for my guns. but you know what I mean.

There will be no law, no police, no court, no national guard, just you and yours and me and mine and them and theirs. No line on a piece of paper that used to serve as a map will keep me from protecting and taking care of my family. and I am sure there are quite a few trully AWAKE here to tell you I am right, and that will be the sad terrible truth. So if you plan on calling a stand of trees yours because of some paper you think will still matter, says it is. then you are deathly wrong. If I my kid is hungry and you have food and it means the diference of life and death for my kid doesnt matter what I used to believe in the past or how good of a person I was, any parent will tell you, anyhthing to protect their kid, even murder for food .
This is the honest to god truth and anything else is a dream.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Yea, I'm tired of listening to people talking about living in the woods when the govt screws up really bad. They are the same people that still have thier house stocked full of stuff from Y2K.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
What makes people think when the SHTF in the urban areas, it's not gonna hit the fan in the hills and woodlands? If we're talking a catastrophe here, these areas aren't necessarily gonna be any better. Perhaps the rural folk will be knocking on the doors of us URBAN dwellers! HAHA! If that be the case, I'm not sharing my bugs....no way.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by siren8

They are the same people that still have thier house stocked full of stuff from Y2K.

That was good......

You're probably right!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I've been kicked out of areas of woods before. First you think it's just one fly... Then his friends show up.

Not only do they bite, but they seem to make an effort to get into eyes, nose, and ears. Which is quite disconcerting.

Usually when I get chased away it's blackflies, deerflies, mosquitoes, gnats... Never did have a run in with ants, ticks, spiders, scorpions, or fleas, but they're out there too. Then again, I'm just visiting and never stayed long enough to have them pay a visit. Most reptiles that are dangerous are usually polite enough to let you go on your way, provided you keep your distance. Some will even warn you. But then again, I haven't been putting myself in an overnight situation where they might be interested in my body heat to keep warm.

Also nothing like trying to keep quiet and calm when suddenly harassed by a cloud of hungry insects. That can give away your position easily and when you don't want to. Annoying enough when getting wildlife and nature photos, but I could imagine much worse consequences when a real survival scenario is occurring.

Might have to look to see if there are any survival threads on various natural insecticides and repellents. I could probably name two, but I doubt all areas have sagebrush or lemon grass.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
reply to post by NightGypsy

I guess you're not a star trek watcher then. Sorry, cyborgs is what they are. They're apparently a collective of robotic individuals whose information is freely transferred between the entire population. Not unlike the way our society transfers info around using the internet. However, the cyborg don't pick and choose what info to keep and spread, everything is permanently and continuously accessible to every individual within the Borg populous. I'm not actually a star trek fan myself, my father was though, so it lead to some interesting conversations growing up.

They would assimilatethe knowledge of humans into their collective without concern for life, through sheer overwhelming power they would take what they wanted, resistance of the Borg assimilation was futile.
The reference was basically to show where I was getting the quote that applied to the situation fairly well.
edit on 28-6-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

I had a deja vu feeling while reading that!

It resonates (with me( as having some truth to it

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Many of those creatures in the woods do welcome you. Once you are dead, you'll provide a veritable smorgasboard for them to feast on.

Bugs eat the body, birds eat the bugs, Foxes and Wildcats eat the Birds, etc, etc. Life goes on..

About the only thing you don't need to fear (though have respect for) are foliage forageing animals, They may kill you, but they won't eat you.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013

Wow, well it sounds like maybe the critters have it out for you!

They've definitely had it out for me on several occasions.... I almost lost my leg to a Brown Recluse bite that went unchecked for a week. It looks like a scar from a gunshot wound. I tore apart my house for weeks looking for that biatch. Finally, about a month later I was checking my sheets (as I started doing every night) and there she was!!
Waiting for me to crawl into bed she it could bite me again.

I knew a guy who was hospitalized for two weeks due to being bitten 16 times by Brown Recluse babies, in the barracks yet. Even had a relapse as his body purged the toxin. Damn near killed him.

He looked like he had been shot multiple times.

It's a ugly planet! A Bug planet!

I actually called my girl into the room and put on gloves and proceeded to torture the spider.

Normally, I am a nature lover, creepy critters dont bother me. I rescue spiders and even feed them on occasion. But in this instance, it was the principal.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

ABSOLUTELY no offense intended, but ANY mentally-capable human being knows these things. Especially those that grow up in a general geographic and temperate area.

It's a tough call, as I'm not sure one can over-emphasize the importance and lethality of the creatures that inhabit the world, but it also seems that you are overstating the challenges faced by survivors as far as the creepy-crawlies are concerned. Spent PLENTY of time in the bush between my time in the Army and camping/hunting. Best thing one can do is learn to identify dangerous animals and insects; and to learn how to REMEDY any toxins and or injuries sustained by said creatures.

Not bashing you at all, as raising awareness about these issues is great. I do think you are making the great outdoors seem more hostile than they GENERALLY are. This also depends on the geography and climate of the area you are trying to survive in obviously. Luckily here in the sub-tropic, temperate forests of the mid and south Atlantic things are about as easy as anywhere. 4 seasons in general equality, not very many predators (of humans) and plenty of water and other resources.

Best wishes amigo, let's hope most people never have to employ such knowledge in life-threatening situations.
edit on 29-6-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

You may be part of the problem - belligerence may work on outsiders,

but "if the hurricane doesn't get you , your neighbor will" isn't so smart.

I respect your patriot ways - that's how this place (the 13 states) got started.

But this is not how my neighbors act in rural vermont - and yes, that's our (most loved) (2nd) home.

We have endured lots in the 3 years up there: no running water, no toilet, no hot water, no heat,

and of course no electricity. It was different, and a definite learning experience I was glad for.

I think your topic is important for all the city slickers to really understand. BUT...

Mutual respect is the message you want to get out - not a belligerent "get out" !
edit on 6/29/2011 by drphilxr because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/29/2011 by drphilxr because: formatting

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So the one thing we should take away from this post, is bring bug spray. Try and find some high powered stuff, the stuff with plenty of deet, to add to your BOB. Trust me.

I grew up with all sorts of mosquitoes, gnats, deerflies, horseflys, blackflies, no see ums... I thought I could handle a couple of bugs.

Then I went tree planting in northern BC Canada, and I can tell you, the regular stuff you buy from the camping gear shop? Doesnt cut it, not even close. We had to find 40% Deet bug spray, anything less then that doesnt even bother most of the critters out there.

Try and look past all of this arguing about land and rights and TPTB who are out to get you. If you take one thing away from this discussion, let that be it. Along with your medical supplies, stock up on high powered bug dope.

Yeah you might think your outdoorsy and can handle it out there , and Im not gonna argue. Just try and be open minded enough to heed a warning.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have 12 acres of land. If society did collapse or SHTF, or whatever, you best your sweet ass no one will be welcomed. Bring one person in, you're bringing in 10,000 others...and those aren't the ones who escaped from the prisons after the SHTF.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Well as I live in Australia and I have to battle creatures of death the size of thumbnail on a daily basis, Im not too afraid, SO I plan on moving to a nice concrete Jungle mansion with running water and a king size bed.....You can all flee to the hills and battle the bugs

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

I like your thinking...
just one more thought to add...
the woods behind my place are just crawling with poison oak sumac and ivy... yup i got the daily triple in my wood... now they dont bother me... but my daughter cant even look at those without breaking out... I've heard of others whose allergies are so bad exposure could kill them...

wouldn't want to be out in my woods without their epipens
edit on 28-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

There is a poison oak scrub with little beads in it that do wonders. It is kind of expensive but at the soonest you get those tell tale aching paintbrushed red lines on your skin, the only way to get rid of it is these little beads in this gel. The bead attach to the poison and it is safely removed. It really works. Otherwise you are going to spend weeks in pain with nothing seeming able to work. I suggest you get it now and add it to your medic pack.

Now, as for the "little land" owners who think they can just cozy up on their 5.65 acres and hold out, I have news for you. You are not likley to be able to take on a couple of dozen well organized men and women with just you the wife and the kids. Guard duty requires sleep cycles, beyond just food and water there is a lot to it.

The bottom line is that you probably wont be an island to yourself for very long and the only way to look at SHTF is to look at it like a national war. Not a war of self survival but a war of national survival. Kind of like 1776, 1860 and 1940 but a little bit different, a little bit longer, a little bit more uncertainty, a little bit more land mass to deal with, a little bit of everything we probably haven't even thought of, thrown into the mix Invasion can't be ruled out either and most 5.65 acres don't hold up well against nuclear bombs as well.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
For the longest time in America, when it came to real estate (including homesteading and mining), possession was 9/10ths of the law. Not just an hypothetical term but the reality. In a war time situation, the term holds even more truth. Homes worth 200k can easily become worthless pretty fast in the event of a total economic collapse. Many of them no body would want even if they were free because no one would have a job to leave to in the morning anyway.

If the real estate market really does drop through the floor and the banks go with it, we will be back to 1859 Arizona where its anyone's guess where and how living acomodations work out. One of the draw backs to not being mobile (i.e. hunkering down on your 5.5 acres ) is that anything can happen. Radioactivity, storms, large concentrations of combatants, etc. etc. Mobility and linking up with good people in a recon style operation is really your best option and quite frankly the civil thing to do for the sake of one's posterity.

One day you might take a nap and your 5.5 acres are gone.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Congress is going to have to pass a new homestead act anyway very soon if unemployment goes up anymore. Millions of acres of BLM land may have to be opened up for homesteading because you can't simply stack people up in city shelters in the event of a new great depression. If the Congress can't get both the government and the private sector up to speed real soon, the way we look at economics, food aquisition, employment,housing, farming, industry, religious services, military and war, and just about everything we currently take for granted in a new way. Throw in an invasion of this country by say, 5 million hungry chinese infantry with sophisicated equipment and we have a problem on our hands. We would have a problem without an invasion.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

It looks like a scar from a gunshot wound. I tore apart my house for weeks looking for that biatch. Finally, about a month later I was checking my sheets (as I started doing every night) and there she was!! Waiting for me to crawl into bed she it could bite me again. I actually called my girl into the room and put on gloves and proceeded to torture the spider.

I love your comment......

It creeps me out. I saw pics of brown recluse spider bites while helping my daughter with a class project one time. I couldn't believe what damage they cause to human flesh! I never forgot those pics. I would have freaked out knowing that thing was in my house all those weeks. OMG

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join