It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning on heading for the hills or the woods when you hear the SHTF? You are not wanted.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Planning on heading for the hills or the woods when you hear the SHTF? Well before you start your trek, know that you are not wanted. I am not talking about Farmer Rick, or any other human landowner on whomever’s land you may be trespassing. I am talking about the real owners of the land.

Many of you that plan to wild it if the SHTF are pretty comfortable in your air conditioned, sturdy, weather-proof abodes. If you have an intrusion of a flying or crawling, creepy entity, a quick call to your local pest control company does the trick.

I live out in the middle of nowhere on five and ½ acres which abuts approximately one-hundred and twenty-six acres of pristine woodland. I have an agreement with my neighbors. I will respect you and your home as long as you respect mine. If I wander into my neighbors territory, I gingerly walk around them giving them a wide berth. I try not to disturb their space in anyway. I don’t even allow anyone to fish my pond. We have only had a small misunderstanding on just a few occasions, usually all goes well.

Now if Mr. Snake takes a short-cut across my lawn and he is of the harmless variety I usually will let him pass unmolested. However if yellow touches red I am afraid it is dead. Ants, and they come in more varieties then you can imagine, they can get into almost anything, and some are fond of electricity, even it is battery powered. All ants bite and some do so without you even knowing it until you find those lovely pus filled bumps show up all over your body. Did you know that there are scorpions about the half the size of your pinky finger, not quite as thick, but has a sting that makes you think you got hit by a tazer?

I cannot name all the beasties and critters that call, that spot that you have your eye on for safety, home. Most will not be very accommodating and for those of you that are city dwellers and can’t bear the thought of anything that creeps, crawls or flies, then you had better start thinking of alternatives sites in which to hunker down.

If you are thinking that this is a problem easily remedied by including a can of bug spray and insect repellant to your bugout bag, I can assure you that you don’t want to risk poisoning your environment and the insects will be there long after that can has run dry.

I am sure that there are some harmless, effective solutions to make your transition period safer and more comfortable and maybe some of the experts here on ATS will be willing to share them with you.

Oh, I should add that there are no dainty toilets, no running water for your daily ablutions, and if things get really bad, you may on the upcoming menu.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I like your thinking...
just one more thought to add...
the woods behind my place are just crawling with poison oak sumac and ivy... yup i got the daily triple in my wood... now they dont bother me... but my daughter cant even look at those without breaking out... I've heard of others whose allergies are so bad exposure could kill them...

wouldn't want to be out in my woods without their epipens
edit on 28-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

+44 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Sorry Bub, The title to your land is just a piece of paper just like our currency. When the SHTF your property rights will be gone as well. You can battle the people as long as you are able, but when you do, realize that the people will be considering you in the same vein as the elite.

If the cities become unlivable, the country folks will have to share or die.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
So basicaly a complex post covered by some "real" concern on our well being.
Kinda sad to see people being that complexic against the rest for living a life in cities... Sorry dude. we wont do it again.
gimme a break...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
ive gone camping and never experienced this horrible situation your talking bout, seems a lil ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

you didn't read his thread did you????
he's not talking about "His" property rights...
he's trying to warn about about all the critters that will bite ya stab ya or sick ya....
some of those are indeed deadly...

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the eye opening thread, I had no idea there were bugs in the woods...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

you may on the upcoming menu.

That is all kinds of messed up.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Very true. I go out foraging/exploring all the time and, fortunately, I'm immune to poison ivy and such but I still get the occasional scraped skin from thorny/prickly vines and bushes. A minor infection in a SHTF scenario could lead to gangrene or sepsis. I'm always running across snakes and biting insects.

I haven't found "the hills" to be all that accommodating or forgiving. Yes, there are wild edibles but they usually don't grow IN a wooded area but at the edges of woods. You have to come out in the open where the sunshine is if you want to forage.

Another consideration is that there are some people who see a SHTF scenario coming and are already in the hills before you. They didn't wait til the last minute and will probably defend what they see as "their" resources and you as a trespasser.

Just a few thoughts for consideration.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Look at it this way.....

If you can't beat them, join them.

I can guarantee you, no matter what the size of your land, no matter what ammunitions you have, no matter what you do you can't beat everyone, by yourself, you'll make it maybe a week before your overwhelmed by force in numbers. The best thing one with land can do to protect him/herself is to allow others to share ones land and resources.

You'll find it is always easier to just work together.

Oh, when it comes to allergens and weaknesses, I'm personally excited to see the process of natural selection reenacted as the government has been severely weakening the human species for the past 70 years severly.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Why is it that people think the best thing to do is head for the hills? Have they not heard of our technological advancements since the Dark Ages? You can't "hide" anywhere unless it is extremely remote.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I cannot name all the beasties and critters that call, that spot that you have your eye on for safety, home. Most will not be very accommodating and for those of you that are city dwellers and can’t bear the thought of anything that creeps, crawls or flies, then you had better start thinking of alternatives sites in which to hunker down.

So, in summary, we shouldn't run to the hills because there's a lot of bugs and most city people are afraid of bugs? And Raid won't do any good because bugs will keep reproducing no matter how many we kill?

You have definitely grabbed my attention, OP, because I love to eat bugs. If I can dip them in chocolate first, that's even better.....big bugs, little bugs.....I don't care....I just love to eat bugs. Those ants you're talking about are especially intriguing to me. I'm used to the run-of-the-mill black ants in my city and have been interested in tasting some new varieties.

This post has really made me think. I'm not waiting for the STHTF. I wanna head for the hills now. I'm not waiting. I want my bugs, and it sounds like the OP lives by a lot of bugs. OP, please give me directions to your place so I can peruse your area for a good place to set up camp. If you could U2U me with a list of all the bug varieties and photos of each species, I would greatly appreciate it. That way, I can plan ahead for my meals and bring the proper seasonings and utensils. Hopefully, you won't mind every now and then if I come borrow some flour or stuff of that nature. I'll pay you back....don't worry.

Thanx.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
similar thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I get the image of carloads of urbanites roaming the back roads till they run out of gas. please Lord don't let them run out near my house.
and if it's ten urbanites wi guns I guess I've done all that preparation for nothing.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Dont be so stupid, with the technology they have, they will be scanning everything to find people hiding here and there, DO NOT SETTLE DOWN, keep moving ,resting, feeding......its all you can do, the best places to hide will be caves and forests, but they`ll still find you, they`ll hunt people down play the good guy, pretending to rescue you then BAM, bullet to the brain........... think survival, you need something to start fires with, keep alot of "safety" matches, enough to spare a few here and there, when you rest for the night , leave a couple of matches in plain sight incase someone else comes along after you and needs heat. Carry alot of sewing equipment, theres no hospitals in the REAL world, and someone may need urgent medical treatment. Know your surroundings - dont just run around like a maniac, take note of everything you pass , it will come in helpfull if you need to escape / return to the area..... be quiet at all times, try not to attract unwanted attention from animals and TPTB. Keep any "camp fire" buning on cinders, no flames as the smoke draws attention......... DO NOT LOOK FOR SURVIVORS just keep moving and you`ll find eachother soon enough..... once with other survivors, come to some sort of agreement on the roles in your group........ no leaders, everyone works as hard as the next man, you`ll need to hunt, fish build shelter, the whole works, everything "cave men " did......its back to square one people, and im not going down without a fight............ not this time

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WheresJesusAt

Dont be so stupid, with the technology they have, they will be scanning everything to find people hiding here and there, DO NOT SETTLE DOWN, keep moving ,resting, feeding......its all you can do, the best places to hide will be caves and forests, but they`ll still find you, they`ll hunt people down play the good guy, pretending to rescue you then BAM, bullet to the brain

What? Jesus, it looks like I'm gonna have to hoard my bugs and find a way to transport them if that's the case. This sucks. Maybe the OP will let me keep my bugs at his place in his basement or bunker.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Why not head too the homes of CEO's, george soros, bill gates, ect , ect? they might not be hanging around anymore,a nd when you think about it, thier homes might be super protected.if yuo can penetrate the walls, gates whatever its yuors now for the taking...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
In response to all of you who think that "they" will be coming to kill you and everyone else....
Strength in numbers. Yet again.

Oh and to Ye who says continue moving, that makes you stand out like a sore thumb to most modern technology and detection satellites.

To quote the borgs, "resistance is futile".

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

To quote the borgs, "resistance is futile".

"Borgs?" Are these "borgs" a new species of bug?
edit on 28-6-2011 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I quite agree that the hills aren't as accomodating as a lot of folks seem to think.

So far as the critters are concerned, the moment you enter the equation you are either competing for resources or are a tasty resource. Folks think they can plant a garden in the wild and actually harvest it themselves as if it was in their own backyard. Lol, without constant watching and watering all they'll succeed in doing is feeding the local wildlife, from bugs to birds.

Those who lack experience in the wild will soon succumb to it if they flee to it unprepared physically, mentally, and spiritually.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Well, do you think your going to be the first one there? Probably not. And I've heard many mention this idea so personally I would think anyone who tries this will be walking themselves into a death trap.

You'll get there and realize there's a war taking place over the property.

Personally, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the show for a while, then assist those that remain in working together to rebuild what we can of our society, at least what's beneficial anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join