It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning on heading for the hills or the woods when you hear the SHTF? You are not wanted.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Some places have coyotes, too. Very bad for pets. Owls patrol the night skies, dangerous to cats. Foxes are a problem , if there are any rabbits. Better take a 22, don't forget the skunks.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Sure glad I live on my boat.

I don't have a "bugout bag", I LIVE in my "bugout bag".

Plenty of fishing gear, and lots of guns.

I will have to make landfall to get fruits and vegetables, but I can just wait until ninety percent of the idiots kill each other in the first few weeks. I am always stocked up enough for months.

After that I will have one of the few methods of transport of any kind left, if there is NO FUEL. Should be valuable. And easy to protect.

THose who are talking about surveillance and predator drones: after TSHTF I don't think any of that stuff will work anymore....

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

It's sad you would think I am expecting a handout, actually I plan on not only providing for myself and my fiance, but you as well if you were to show up at my doorstep. Look, its sad that you think throwing out your morals will be the best bet. You're entitled to that small minded thought but my goal when the shtf is to help others in need with supplies I have stored up to gain support. With enough assistance I can gain the trust and workmanship of others that will be necessary to rebuild as much of what is here as possible while also maintaining a moral backbone. However, if you want to come steal my supplies for another night of life, feel free, ill let you know. though, you will not make it far with you every man for himself mindset. Just simulate it in your mind for a moment. Do you think you can make it by yourself if you do nothing but rape and pillage those that would otherwise be willing to help you.

I agree, most of us will be gone very quickly, but those that are still around, I guarantee, will be the groups of people that are willing to settle down, work together and rebuild.

when you come to my group, if you attempt to steal from our collection, I will look you in the eye and ask you if it was worth it when I put the bullet through your skull. please don't make me have to. our survival as a collective will be thought of as more important than yours as an individual. don't threaten a group if you are on your own.
edit on 28-6-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

Well i'll be about 1200 miles off the coast in a 60ft. sailboat. Not sure I will have any bugs or plants or people with guns to worry about.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

In case you haven't figured it out, it's impossible to distinguish "tone" from written words. Your post made you sound like an old hick railing against the city folk, standing on your porch with the pitchfork screaming "Get offa my property!"

A few points, however...

1) I don't think most city folk have any illusions of running out to the country when things get gnarly. They pretty much know their limits, know they're city folk, and realize their first experience out in the country "on a whopping 5 1/2 acres" would end in disaster on many levels. Those who do consider it, with no experience, have simply watched too much Survivorman. They wouldn't be an issue anyway.

2) What makes you think that a rural area will be the most desireable place to be following a disaster? Sure, less people per square mile, but Stores, food sources, are spread much more widely in the country. At least in the 'burbs or the city there are 7-11's and grocery stores, at least one per mile. A majority of folks are packing their SUV to go to stay with Aunt So-and-so in another state, or hiding out in their house/apartment/whatever. That leaves a smaller percentage that will be out looting stores, stocking up on supplies. It'll be weeks to months, maybe even more, before the sustainability of urban life is exhausted. You might be out growing/slaughtering your own for much longer, if conditions permit. Who really knows? The urban weak will grow weaker and disappear. Those left, though few, will be the ones that pose a risk to you and your massive 5 1/2 acres, but it will be some time before it comes to that.

3) There is more money in urban areas. If people were smart beforehand, Money = Plenty of supplies + And arsenal more vast and deadly than your hunting rifles. Hypothetically, I could have a weapon that's easily converted to fully automatic fire. With this hypothetic weapon, and hypothetic flash supressor, i could sit a couple hundred yards out your back yard some night dumping 30 round clip after 30-round clip into your house. If you've got a basement, you're golden, but if not, that's a lot of bullets to dodge. You may, but aren't likely to have anything to answer what I, who am from a more urban area with more plentiful jobs and higher pay, was able to stockpile, "just in case". In this scenario, I don't have to worry about stepping on toes between you and your neighbors property, or getting bit by bugs. What was yours just became mine.

4) You didn't mention that you have any type of farm or garden on that immense swath of land you have. What happens when you run out of supplies and decide to visit a more urban area in search of sustenance? Don't think you'll stick out like a sore thumb? Don't think that even decayed, cut-throat city life might still be a bit too much? Don't think that roving gangs might be on the lookout for an out of towner? Your pick-up truck keys are in your pocket...your address is in your wallet if you still carry it. You show up in the wrong place and that band of thugs just found a new place for themselves and their family...plus a pickup truck to carry all they managed to loot in order to survive.

There's a lot to consider here. But hitting the inner-city in "good" conditions can be dicey at times. Imagine what it's like once everything hits the fan?

I don't ever remember driving down a lonely country road, fearing for my life.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
sounds to me like a good place to go with plkenty of food. thanks op

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I live in the Ozarks, thank god its not Australia or Africa

I'm immune to all the critters and toxic plants except those Amanita

I already live in the woods, life is good, i highly recommend

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I live in canada, so I dont have to worry about scorpions, but we do have other critter issues.

I can already picture the city people who decided to bug out to the woods. They might be well fed, armed and have shelter... but I bet theyll be a little more then irritable after being bitten raw by mosquitoes. Add that to whatever weapon they brought with them, and I wouldnt want to cross their paths.

I think Ill stick to the city.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Straight up, if SHTF, ANYONE running to the hills wont be staying in one spot. More than likely they will be armed and probably carrying precious cargo.

If im trekking across the land, and for some reason you feel that im "red and yellow" and intend harm, with all due respect, i will shoot your ass. I dont think im the only one who will be feeling that way.

This is my warning for your warning. If i were you, i would assist your fellow humans and/or run like hell too.

You talk like you have a stand alone complex. Do us a favor and get rid of it. You need us and we need you.

If anyone out there thinks that if SHTF that they are going to hold up in the woods ands grow a happy little garden of vegetables and have some chickens then i think you're a damn fool.

People that are unaccounted for will be searched for. Imagine your land becoming a prison state overnight. You're the prisoner, and prisoners need to be accounted for.

Join the people, or conform. Thats what it boils down too

edit on 28-6-2011 by mthgs602 because: i farted and hit the wrong letters

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Just Fukishima Fish to live off of if your in the Pacific.

Or the Plastic Barge..
www.democraticunderground.com...

"Bugout Bugs" is actually kinda catchy. Don't have a "catch"phrase yet.

Ladybugs taste good while your in a car leaving town? Always have some on hand for a quick snack, and for good luck?

Lightening Bugs more nutrituous, and can light the way if your flashlight goes dead and need a "light"snack?"

Thinking out loud here.:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Ha sorry you have to live in such a harsh place with all manor of dangerous creatures. Here in the UK an adder or dog is about the most dangerous thing in the wild. Also to any wana be survivalists I would recommend joining the territorial army or in the US I think its called the reserves, they will pay you to teach you this stuff and you can opt out of having to go to war, however persoanlly I couldn't trai with guys all year and then turn around and tell them that I wont be going to fight beside them. Still I think this is a good option for people who have these interests, also with the economy the way it is a big of extra income is welcome as well, especiallu if you are well educated and opt for officers training.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Well if masses of folks were heading out of the city or urban areas it may be wise to allow a number to set up camp on your ranch. Maybe give them an out building a place to park the RV or set up camp in some number. Why? The presents of a large group already established near the ranch or homestead will be a good deterrent. You dont want to look out guned, weak, alone.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

If I could put a vegas, bet down right now, I would say over half the Population of the civilized world will die within the first year of the SHTF, from shock and suicide.. Survival of the fittest wont start within the first year i am sure..

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Loga ? Do you mean IF they came with food ot not? And if knew people came with or without food?

Will the new visitors take what food is there for them and deter the OTHER new people?

Not that easy to spend a long time saving your food and sharing with each new squatter.

Tough one.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
NEW people..came

2nd

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Are you kidding me? do you honestly think people will care about a few bugs or property when there is civil unrest? get real man...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The reality is, if its shtf then everyone will be watching and waiting.

If its TEOTWAWKI...... then every single person will be hiding or engaging every target. Or both.

REALITY CHECK RIGHT HERE.

Does anyone honestly think there will be refuge in national parks and national forests where 75% of the population thinks they will land? I got a little news for everyone. Those places have huge gates with locks that cant be gone through. They will have guards turning people around, because their jobs are to protect those resources and they will close them to the public. Unless you have a cattle,mining or scientific lease with the Fed your not getting in.

So you best look at timber company land. Because they wont have the resources to keep John Doe from torching the gate and letting the cows in.

So where you going to go? Rainforests of the PNW? we dont have venomous snakes but we damn sure have the creepy crawly things, like the red, brown,and tan wood spider,several types of black widow with half hour glass or just red dash markings, and about a dozen more toxic forest spiders, including the Hobo, as well as the red venomous centipede. But guess what? We also have zones of 'hitchhikers'. Scorpions, brown recluse and other vermin who traveled here on trucks.

The most toxic may be the mosquitoes and ticks carrying a dozen or more exotic diseases.

Granted the OP came off like a hillbilly and he didnt mean to. But straight up....... Every single thing he said was reality. I would be certain he has no illusion about holding ground, and we know a static army is a dead army....even if its an army of one. The OP was to try to help people reason things out. Forget the tone that txt can't give and read the bottom line one more time.

People are trying to help you. Read what I wrote. Smart people will know i'm trying to help them as well.

S&F

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

They will have guards turning people around, because their jobs are to protect those resources and they will close them to the public.

I do not think that you are seeing the complete picture.

If it is that bad, there will be no government employees...They have families that need protecting too. I seriously doubt that ranger Joe will be guarding a gate when his family is vulnerable at home.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Sorry Bub, The title to your land is just a piece of paper just like our currency. When the SHTF your property rights will be gone as well. You can battle the people as long as you are able, but when you do, realize that the people will be considering you in the same vein as the elite.

If the cities become unlivable, the country folks will have to share or die.

So everyone star this if you don't read?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
reply to post by Shadowalker

They will have guards turning people around, because their jobs are to protect those resources and they will close them to the public.

I do not think that you are seeing the complete picture.

If it is that bad, there will be no government employees...They have families that need protecting too. I seriously doubt that ranger Joe will be guarding a gate when his family is vulnerable at home.

Dont be a fool. There have been more decades than you have been alive to plan crowd control by the peolpe who knew when it would come. Many think tanks have come before you friend.

Give that some thought......really. The fate of the troops who turn back is certain. The fate of the troops who advance is unknown and theirs.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join