It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since When Was Thinness Equated With Beauty?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Logman

That's not really true at all.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearMitochondria

It might be subconscious conditioning. The media is all about "transfats are bad", which becomes "fat is bad", which might lead us to thinking "fat = bad", thus "fat people = bad", or "fat people = unhealthy = heart disease = not a viable choice for offspring", which may actually feed off of our billions of years of evolution for procreating with the 'right' partner.

Good point on the media saying transfats are bad. Our diet-consciousness certainly has contributed to the skinny craze in recent years, and a lot of it has to do with us misinterpreting what the media says, or the media misrepresenting what the experts say.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I like skinny women, because I am fairly small myself, at 5'8 140 lbs. And I definitely don't see skinny and small women as submissive. I wouldn't want a submissive woman, as I'm submissive. So there is a hole in this theory. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, every woman is beautiful in some way or another to a man. Not all men are attracted to the same woman, it's all personal preference. I have seen plenty of larger ladies in happy relationships. Yes, hollywood pushes the thin look, but that's only for the people that are really that superfisical. To be beautiful, it has to be on the inside, the outside is just the bonus.
edit on 21-4-2011 by xxshadowfaxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Dreamingawake was getting to the real heart of the matter.
In the old days, not everybody had enough to eat. If you had some meat on your bones, it meant that you were affluent. This is why it was considered to be attractive.
Nowadays, in most parts of the world anyway, "junk" food is available and cheap, and so the poor tend to be more overweight while the rich can afford to buy the healthy stuff, and also to work out and possibly have liposuction. So now a skinny body is considered to be beautiful.
That is the long and the short of it.
As far as Japan is concerned, the people are skinny because their diet is different than ours, not because it is some kind of ideal. I used to have a coworker who lived there for eight years. She was skinny to begin with and she lost weight there due to the kind of foods that were available for her to eat.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
ya I gotta say I like em with some meat on their bones

I'm all set with bangin skeletor

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Beauty comes in many forms. A healthy woman is more beautiful than a woman baring her insecurity on the inside as physically as the bones protruding on the outside.

The beauty industry feeds off of the insecurities of women by manipulating them to believe they have a problem. And then that the industry has the solution.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
She is muscular. People who are obsessed with skinniness often confuse atheltic women as being chubby.
She is in very good shape.
If you look at gymnasts, acrobats, etc. Or even the Venus sisters, they are not thin, they are muscular.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Why do people claim skinny women don't have curves?? They do.. in just the right places!!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

in the medieval ages Heavier women were concidered more beautifull and better wives because they showed signs of Good eating *Remember this is a medieval mindset im trying to portray* as well as a biger space for a stronger child to grow. So how did we switch from that to "Skinny is the new you"?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I thought about this and and I think the entire argument is stupid and the media and fashion nerds trying to portray an ideal is also stupid.

Everyone has individual tastes and every woman has a different ideal for their body to conform to.

The closer a woman is to their own ideal body the more attractive they are in my book. And a lot of it is simply being comfortable in their own skin and self confidence.

If we want to talk unrealistic BS we can get into what is portrayed for men! I'm just glad women aren't a shallow as guys are and tend to choose more on personality (doesn't give me an advantage per se but I'm married so I can concentrate on fooling one woman into thinking I have a personality which is much easier!)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord
look at bordello paintings from the old west or anything around the turn of the century: Guys liked bigger women!

I think it boils down to this:

Guys who like sex like women who are healthy and strong and not skinny (sometimes even large)

Meterosexual guys obsessed with appearance over the fun things in life prefer skinny women.

That's preposterous!
While pretty much no guy I know including myself likes the really thin model types, being fat is not the same as being healthy, it's more a question of fitness and how voluptous they are, to me at least.

I don't know one guy that likes a flat ass and a flat chest, but on the flip side, I don't know a single guy that likes chubby girls, I know they're out there though, but it's certainly not the norm by any definition of the word.

Voluptous AND fit.. I think that would cover the most bases. The middle way is always the best, lagom är bäst!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod

That's preposterous!
While pretty much no guy I know including myself likes the really thin model types, being fat is not the same as being healthy, it's more a question of fitness and how voluptous they are, to me at least.

ha ha you said it was preposterous then repeated what I said!

Originally posted by Jinglelord
Guys who like sex like women who are healthy and strong and not skinny (sometimes even large)

I think the truth is (as I said later) people (men and women) who are carrying a healthy weight not too skinny or too big will be considered the most universally attractive. This is of course subject to the fads of the time but universally over time if a person just sticks to what is healthy and fit they will have no problems finding mates.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
As a chick with a bit of junk in her trunk, I think thats its funny when men will objectify women and rate them based on how much padding they personally prefer, and yet take NO inner inventory to see if they themselves are exhibiting traits that women may find attractive. What if I want nice lats, strong traps, a v-shaped torso and a neck like a tree trunk? I know damn well I am not going to find that with 8 out of 10 men. If this really were the time of hunting and gathering many men would be food for what they are hunting. Where are the feats of strength? Demonstrations of agility? Since I am being held to a standard...How about a guy show me some free running skills. Or maybe we can go out into the woods and you can uproot some stumps for my amusement. While I have my jiggles....there are men are walking around with saggy asses and pecs, no discernible muscle tone and laughable skills when it comes to hand to hand combat. So should I begin to label these men as less than desirable partners because they would probably get their asses kicked in a barfight? There are plenty of men whose bodies dont feel that different from a chicks. skinny chick or a fat one. Dont worry though, weight has made me no less light on my feet and I have a fine weapons collection. I will go hunt the food....you just play xbox and google pics of bacon flavored products.
edit on 21-4-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

I think your fooling yourself if you think men dont perfer a thin woman...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It's pretty simple, Thinner women are better in bed, they are healthier, they don't eat like a truck or look like one, they are more feminine, and they aren't lazy.

Hmmmm..... Tough call.

BTW I much prefer smaller breasts (A-B), so I'm not exactly one of those trendy goofs who think giant breasts are the best. I've been there, and it's definitely not.
edit on 21-4-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
I believe it's the inner Pedophile in men, and the Green Eyed monster of Jealousy in Women that is driving the skinny market. It's become massively popular since Kate Moss and CK advertisements and the trend has just continued with young models like Gemma Ward starting out when she was just 15 years old.

Also with womens beauty products - because you can put a higher $$$ selling something which is designed to achieve something which is harder to achieve, in this case, weight loss and being thin.

All the negative press about obesity and health just adds to the pile.

I hope you're not serious.....you think a man being attracted to a thin woman is some type of subconscious pedophilia??....and then you proceed to say "negative press" about obesity add to the pile? What's that supposed to mean? Are you saying that obesity is ok, and we should actually encourage it? Sorry but most men are not attracted to overweight women and that's just the way it is. Seriously though, if you think being attracted to thin women makes you a pedophile, you're retarded.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

I think the middle and last one is most attractive....the one on the left looks bony and skeletal to me. Not attractive at all. But I'm not a man. If I were though, I honestly think I would choose the one on the right.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I think its mostly cuz a lot of the guys at the top of the modern fashion world are trying to make girls look like young boys. Just sayin.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
It's pretty simple, Thinner women are better in bed, they are healthier, they don't eat like a truck or look like one, they are more feminine, and they aren't lazy.

As a bit of a recovering sex addict, I can say that no, no they are not. Lots of thin "hot" chicks are used to getting what ever they want in bed cuz guys are just so happy to see them naked. The thicker girls will be way more willing to satisfy. Although there are awesome girls of both sizes, overall, the curvy girls are better in bed.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

Lets be realistic about this. As a man (last time a checked... yup just checked still a man) I prefer a woman who is comfortable in her skin, intelligent (if more than a one night stand), fun, freaky where it counts, and then finally isn't too skinny and isn't too big with a preference towards athletic (like the woman in the OP).

Saying out of hand men like thin women is foolish and in many instances wrong, saying out of hand men prefer chubby or fat women is the same but there are many who prefer both ends of the spectrum. From experience and having been with both skinny and chubby women I gotta say you're more likely to come away with a smile if you err towards a little extra than a little less...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join