It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since When Was Thinness Equated With Beauty?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Well like I said, you can justify it any way you like but if you have someone like kate perry or whoever is hot now walking down the street next to say, pick whatever large woman you want, who do you think most guys are gonna spend more time looking at?

Blame it on conditioning or living in the city or whatever but nevertheless it's true of society today.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Well if I was a caveman and I seen two women- one the size of the beasts that roamed Al Bundy's shoe story, and one like Mischa Barton... I am the hunter gatherer..

fat lady- I hunt.. she eats..

skinny lady- I hunt.. we eat.

And this is why there were very few fat ladies in the caveman age.

But I've heard that since fat ladies were so rare that cavemen actually preferred fat ladies over skinny ladies becuase being fat was a mark of affluence and good health.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
When a woman is too thin she loses all her shape... it's a shame. I like a somewhat slender and athletic build on a woman personally (kinda like what you posted), but not too thin because that appears childish and not very womanly. When you look at art, such as statues, paintings, and even comics and those old pin-up girl pictures, women are typically depicted as very shapely and not too skinny. It's only in recent times (past few decades) that people started going crazy over being overly thin. It can be unhealthy and you may develop eating disorders if you become too obsessed. That doesn't mean let yourself go though.

Balance is key.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I also must add this research project we did in school which was based on Pavlov and his work with dogs and bell ringing is association with dinner. quite interesting.

We were interested to see if men were conditioned to respond by certain noises they usually would associate with attractive women. In the main dining hall during lunch period we had 3 women very beautiful women dressed in normal college wear walk through the middle of the dining hall. Not dressed up or anything but pretty nonethe less.

They went one at a time spaced in 30 second intervals. Results were that a few guys, and women, looked up and gave glances but nothing to note as spectacular. Next we took the same 3 women and put heels on them and let them walk through the dining hall again.

The floor is not carpeted so the heels made a very distinct sound. One by one they walked through and every single male in the dining hall at least turned to see where the sound was coming from and presumably what was attached to it.

We proved that men are conditioned to the sound of women's heels as something worth investigating so this may tie into men being conditioned as to what a beautiful women should be.

It should also be noted that in early American history have pale skin was regarded as the most beautiful while those with tanner complextions were not place in the same category of beauty. This of course changed as I'm sure they current definition of beauty will also at some time.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wang Tang
Thank you for your old west example, very good example. It is important to understand men don't inherently like skinny women, it's something men are conditioned to desire.

As for your next generalizations, you bring up an interesting point although your generalization might be over-generalized. Guys who pay too much attention to the appearance of women will prefer skinny women, and in high tech industrialized cities like Tokyo where the population density is 1 million people per square foot, not just meterosexual men, but all men will pay more attention to external appearances because there are so many women to pay attention to.

But if you live in rural areas where you have a lower population density, men don't have to base their desires on superficial appearances as much.

Okay my generalization was a little much but I still stick to it in principal.

All men will pay attention to a woman's appearance (another generalization there are exceptions to). I think when you're looking at crowded urban areas you also need to look at what kind of people are there in the highest densities. Anyone who does well in that setting has got to be absorbed in the culture and enjoy the comfort of a large group. As such these people are subject to the herd mentality more so than others and would be more likely to let society define what they are attracted to. IE the Fashion industry and media outlets.

Now I personally like all women that aren't sloppy fat (I'm still picky but not so much with weight) but I also know there are many men who like sloppy fat women. From the hundreds of guys I've talked to about it being skinny seems to be the exception rather than the rule as to what they like. You're much more likely to find a guy's primary concern to be either a nice butt or a nice rack rather than a few extra pounds or an exposed rib cage.

The only guys I haven't spoken too in depth are the types of dudes I normally don't have anything in common with being the absorbed in society guys who get manicures and massages without happy endings.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I think the ratio of tits/waist/hips is what it really is. A larger woman will have fat built up so as to almost disguise the curves that are going on underneath.
Personally, I thnk that if a guy thinks the lady in the op is fat, it's cause he doesn't realize how much clothes actually hold up, which to me means he is inexperienced in seeing naked women. Plus this girl's a pro athlete if she was all skinny she'd tire.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

I personally think Caroline is great looking. If she were to lose 10 pounds she would be too skinny. I think that a lot of guys who fantasize about skinny girls have never actually been with one, so they want what they can`t have. I`ve had a good range of different sizes of women, from very short & petite, to tall and skinny, to 50lbs or more overweight (5`8" 235lbs large breasts naturally so 185 would be good or optimal, for me), and everywhere in between. I am telling you guys, skinny girls... they aren`t all that great. You gotta be super careful in bed or they can get hurt or even bruised easily (yeah im a little rough but not THAT rough..) and then you feel like a jerk or an abuser. And try cuddling at night, you can`t have your leg wrapped around them or have your leg over the top of one of their legs, because your leg is too heavy and it hurts them. I prefer a girl with a nice curvy hourglass shape, some good padding especially on the butt where you will be spanking and grabbing onto. It also helps if they have nice thick hair that doesn`t hurt when you grab a nice handfull and pull. I suppose there is a fine line between just right, and too much padding. I don`t enjoy "fat", or girls with a gigantic booty like the stereotypical black man does, nor am I black. I suppose we all have our own taste, I just don`t like girls who are bony. Well, I mean I don`t like making love to them as much. My girl is perfect, for me, and I think that a couple should work as a team and motivate eachother when necessary, so theres no reason anyone needs to "let themself go".
TBC DUE TO CELL LAG

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctor j and inmate c5779

I personally think Caroline is great looking. If she were to lose 10 pounds she would be too skinny. I think that a lot of guys who fantasize about skinny girls have never actually been with one, so they want what they can`t have. I`ve had a good range of different sizes of women, from very short & petite, to tall and skinny, to 50lbs or more overweight (5`8" 235lbs large breasts naturally so 185 would be good or optimal, for me), and everywhere in between. I am telling you guys, skinny girls... they aren`t all that great. You gotta be super careful in bed or they can get hurt or even bruised easily (yeah im a little rough but not THAT rough..) and then you feel like a jerk or an abuser. And try cuddling at night, you can`t have your leg wrapped around them or have your leg over the top of one of their legs, because your leg is too heavy and it hurts them. I prefer a girl with a nice curvy hourglass shape, some good padding especially on the butt where you will be spanking and grabbing onto. It also helps if they have nice thick hair that doesn`t hurt when you grab a nice handfull and pull. I suppose there is a fine line between just right, and too much padding. I don`t enjoy "fat", or girls with a gigantic booty like the stereotypical black man does, nor am I black. I suppose we all have our own taste, I just don`t like girls who are bony. Well, I mean I don`t like making love to them as much. My girl is perfect, for me, and I think that a couple should work as a team and motivate eachother when necessary, so theres no reason anyone needs to "let themself go".
TBC DUE TO CELL LAG

Guys who think the girl in the op is attractive is secretly longing for men. She is just an armpit of hair away from having a man's body and shows more traits of a man such as leg and arm shape than many feminine qualities.

Nothing wrong with being gay as long as you admit your attracted to that sort of thing.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Ironically, most people in the US are overweight. According to this here link a big, fat estimate of 64.1% of women in the US are overweight or obese. It's not that much better in the UK or Australia either.

Now, being underweight is just as bad, and I wish I weren't. This comes from personal experience, a lot of guys don't really want that either. It's not something I can help; there's something the matter with my thyroid, and I can't seem to gain weight no matter what I eat and how much of it I consume. Normally, I'm cool with it, because I like being able to see my toes when I look down, and there's a whole lot of chicks I know who can't. But when a guy ya like tells you that you're the chairman of the itty bitty titty committee, it kinda hurts. A lot. But when most of them are of the same opinion... well, that just goes to show that a significant portion of men have a healthier idea of what women should look like than is to be expected of them, and that's something I can respect. It's not nearly as dire as you've made it out to be.

I think the problem lies with the media. Overweight is a huge "thing" these days, and what we're fed in the media is always "Here, look at all the things you will never be." I'd guess that there is an inverse correlation between the weight of the average American and the weight of the average American celebrity. The former goes up, and the other goes down. As per usual, what we're told by the television and the magazines on sale at the grocery store checkout has absolutely no bearing on reality. Men want what they can get. And what they can get is great big fat women.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Guys who think the girl in the op is attractive is secretly longing for men. She is just an armpit of hair away from having a man's body and shows more traits of a man such as leg and arm shape than many feminine qualities.

Nothing wrong with being gay as long as you admit your attracted to that sort of thing.

Hmm you got me. I do secretly long for men.

But any guy who thinks Caroline is not attractive is a pedophile.

Nothing wrong with being a pedophile as long as... your not a pedophile.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

obvious troll is obvious.
two.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wang Tang

Originally posted by kro32

Hmm you got me. I do secretly long for men.

But any guy who thinks Caroline is not attractive is a pedophile.

Nothing wrong with being a pedophile as long as... your not a pedophile.

Damn...ok I think she's attractive then
Guess I better go brush up on my gayness.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I admit I think it started with Twiggy and kept going from there.Most of the models you see in adds etc now are mostly skinny.Don't get me wrong there are plus size models and actresses who are hot in my opinion but now all you see are skinny girls and thats the way it is.Also with being healthy people equate skinny with bring healthy so thats a factor to.You could say it comes and goes in cycles.In the past didn't men think women who were larger were more healthy?
Also I go by this beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Whats beautiful to one person isn't beautiful to another.So to each there own.Just love and adore her and be happy.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
reply to post by kro32

obvious troll is obvious.
two.

Yes and this is such a well thought out response to the original subject currently in debate.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

the caveman instinct angle is interesting. However, a larger woman would be able to survive better and defend the family better... I think larger women were probably MORE desireable the further you go back. Although I am not aware of any research or evidence either way, that`s just my guess. I would say we should be paying attention to current trends and perceptions. Like insecurity. A guy today might think that a smaller woman would be more dependant on him to survive or at least live feeling more secure and protected. Also, a smaller woman makes the guy (the guy who prefers skinny women that is) himself feel and look bigger in comparison. Another current trend is penis obsession, so a smaller girl with a smaller vagina and smaller hands and a smaller mouth, might make the guy feel like his penis is larger than it really is. Another negative trend is power and control, so it could be that a guy feels that, when it really comes down to it, he is in control because he can easily overpower a smaller woman and more easily instill fear. Maybe it`s just me, but I think all the reasons a guy would want such a skinny girl are a symptom of the many sicknesses of our society, but that could just be because it`s something I don`t understand... I am a firm believer that our society is allll screwed up though, I will stand by that :] To add another possible reason it could be that guys like the idea of a girl having to work hard and inconvenience herself by starving herself, puking on purpose, and working out obsessively, etc., in order to be considered "acceptable". They don`t want a girl to relax and be herself, no it`s much better to keep them paranoid and insecure so her mind has no time to think about anything real. Much easier to control and keep her in the dark about so much... like the gov does to us.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
This is continued from my last post... But first to address the poster who says my views make me gay... I completely agree with you that the girl in the op is not attractive, as far as her face goes. But her body is nothing like a man`s and I was under the assumption we were talking ONLY about body weight and "thinness". Anyway, I hope that clears at least something up... The girl in the OP is not my type as far as facial beauty, but that`s the only thing I find wrong with her and in the dark it doesn`t really matter... Maybe I`m just not as picky...? But I have a feeling if you find the girl in the op to have a "manly" body... well you have unrealistic expectations and like I`ve said before, people like you have probably never really had sex with a girl as skinny as you claim to prefer. It`s just a fantasy for you. Based on the sicknesses of our society.

Now to continue with part 3... where did I leave off... Ok, it could also be that some guys just don`t want a girl "getting away with it that easy" and it makes this guy feel "special" knowing that the girl has to work hard and stress out to no end in order to keep him pleased... Pretty sick really, but there are a lot of people on the planet in need of serious help... It would almost be easier to just... wiipe the slate clean.

Am I in touch with my feminine side? Yes, and it allows me to have a special relationship with the women in my life. We have experienced such amazing things together that I wish everyone could know what it feels like... Some guys will deny they even have a feminine side. I think it`s these ones who are possibly gay inside because they have an extreme fear for anything that doesn`t portray them as ultra masculine. And then some of us are comfortable in our own skin...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Okay lets look at this for real.

Very early examples of nude sculpture reveal people dug big women:
Venus Of Willendorf

A little later we can look at a Roman Statue of Venus

A little later Maybe Botticelli's version of Venus

Possibly we can just jump to the vintage and modern Pin Up girls

I can go on for days but I won't. Skinny is recent and Far far far from universal.

In my younger days I made some extra money by running adult web-sites. I made way more money on the large woman sites than anything else.

So I ask the question... is thinness really equated with beauty to anyone but the elite and a few guys that happen to have weird taste?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctor j and inmate c5779
. Some guys will deny they even have a feminine side. I think it`s these ones who are possibly gay inside because they have an extreme fear for anything that doesn`t portray them as ultra masculine. And then some of us are comfortable in our own skin...

I have a 7lb female cat wearing a chicken hat as an avatar... can it be assumed I don't qualify?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

The left one and the middle are perfect and the right is just too big.
edit on 21-4-2011 by jstanthrno1 because: change mind

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

Actually i think the one on the right is perfect and the other two are borderline to skinny.But everyone has there own vision of beauty.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join