It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Since When Was Thinness Equated With Beauty?

page: 8
25
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It only seems to have been about a couple of generations that excessive skinniness has been attractive, even ideal from societies point of view. I think it looks unhealthy, and am disgusted by the looks of "super models".

I'm actually most attracted to a woman with curves, and I'd even go as far as to say that if she's got a slight tummy bulge then I'm 100% cool with it. I'm about as attracted to a truly fat woman as I am a super skinny woman...just about not at all. It's just not healthy and makes me limp.

The chick in the OP is NOT fat. She's skinny. Not unhealthy skinny either. She's nearly the ideal proportions, imo. I could handle a notch or two more fat without hesitation.
edit on 21-4-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)




posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
As a guy and a guy that loves all women no matter shape or color we should be honest. If they like to get it on,then that is all that matters at the start. When a woman gives you that look and you feel that energy it doesn't matter what they look like. Skinny or Fat as a man my taste has changed with age and experience. I'm sure this is the case for all men. Don't tell me if your an overweight 45 year old guy and a 25 overweight lady hitting on you is going to make you run away. We have ego's and fantasy's about the undiscovered country on the horizon. I think it is sick to push all this skinny crap. To the ladies out there whether your Fat or a Twig we love ya but take it easy on the poor guy that wears his heart on his sleeve. If he is jerk kick him to the curb but if he is cool then be kind.
Love and Passion are all that matters. I will leave Lust for another conversation. Kooler King.
edit on 22-4-2011 by KoolerKing because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dniMnepO
 


she aint even fat and yes shes sexy as hell



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Being skinny is a direct result of being healthy. I know that many people would argue otherwise, but it's simply not true. The heavier you are the shorter you live. Point to me any centenarian - anywhere, from any time - who was not skinny. You can't because they don't exist now, and have never existed.

Combine that with the fact that healthy individuals naturally make better mates, and the result is a species that is predominately sexually attracted to healthy, skinny people.



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
Being skinny is a direct result of being healthy. I know that many people would argue otherwise, but it's simply not true. The heavier you are the shorter you live. Point to me any centenarian - anywhere, from any time - who was not skinny. You can't because they don't exist now, and have never existed.

Combine that with the fact that healthy individuals naturally make better mates, and the result is a species that is predominately sexually attracted to healthy, skinny people.


I have a feeling those who may make threads as these and the general posters in them are possibly overweight or don't have a somewhat flat stomach. I can't believe I actually read a poster say something in regards to the "inner pedophile in men", my brain almost split open.

You can't tell me if you're a 300 pound overweight male that you are not attracted to a fit 120-135 pound 5'6 -5'9 woman, unless it's out of spite/hate for yourself.

The tennis player the OP posted is a beautiful woman, not everyone's cup of tea though, too muscular and thick for me personally, NOTE she is a professional athlete who trains every day of her life, not your average woman. That being said there's probably more men than not that would want to be with her, that doesn't make those unattracted to her inner pedophiles and pushing anorexia. It's called working out, eating healthy, and staying happy and active that makes you skinny and attractive. Some of you might be insane and clearly don't see these benefits.

Now go get your second helping of icecream and continue to think healthier men/woman are the ones with problems.



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by KoolerKing
As a guy and a guy that loves all women no matter shape or color we should be honest. If they like to get it on,then that is all that matters at the start. When a woman gives you that look and you feel that energy it doesn't matter what they look like. Skinny or Fat as a man my taste has changed with age and experience. I'm sure this is the case for all men. Don't tell me if your an overweight 45 year old guy and a 25 overweight lady hitting on you is going to make you run away. We have ego's and fantasy's about the undiscovered country on the horizon. I think it is sick to push all this skinny crap. To the ladies out there whether your Fat or a Twig we love ya but take it easy on the poor guy that wears his heart on his sleeve. If he is jerk kick him to the curb but if he is cool then be kind.
Love and Passion are all that matters. I will leave Lust for another conversation. Kooler King.


What we like looking at and what we get to touch, or for that matter want to touch, are two entirely different things.

My friend is very curvaceous, I am very lean. She likes hard, muscular men, I crave a big soft bear of a man. Opposites are very attractive
Besides, I find, in matters of the flesh, that of my senses, it is my sight that I use least. I have fallen for a man sight unseen, and I have never fallen in love (though lust, perhaps) with someone based purely on looks. Men, in my experience, require more visual stimulation. The documentary Catfish provides a very interesting and extreme angle to illustrate this point, though it isn't the emphasis of the film, there is the underlying aspect.

Besides, as a general rule, I find anyone who spends a lot of time maintaining their outward appearance not necessarily to be the most interesting and therefore stimulating of company. And someone who has been constantly rewarded and praised for what genetics gave to them without personal effort, can be less inclined to put any effort into their personal development. Exceptions prove the rule, of course.



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
This also depends on how the average person looks like, IMHO. What is quite normal in one country may be considered overweight in other places.

www.forbes.com...



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sikmike620
I have a feeling those who may make threads as these and the general posters in them are possibly overweight or don't have a somewhat flat stomach. I can't believe I actually read a poster say something in regards to the "inner pedophile in men", my brain almost split open.

You can't tell me if you're a 300 pound overweight male that you are not attracted to a fit 120-135 pound 5'6 -5'9 woman, unless it's out of spite/hate for yourself.

The tennis player the OP posted is a beautiful woman, not everyone's cup of tea though, too muscular and thick for me personally, NOTE she is a professional athlete who trains every day of her life, not your average woman. That being said there's probably more men than not that would want to be with her, that doesn't make those unattracted to her inner pedophiles and pushing anorexia. It's called working out, eating healthy, and staying happy and active that makes you skinny and attractive. Some of you might be insane and clearly don't see these benefits.

Now go get your second helping of icecream and continue to think healthier men/woman are the ones with problems.


mmm ice cream... Bacon ice cream!

I weigh 478 lbs, and I am qualified to say skinny women are horrible. The woman in the OP is about as skinny as anyone has a right to be. Any skinnier and she would look like a little boy!


None of that is true by the way. I have developed a little gut in the last couple of years but nothing I can't get rid of with 6 months of training.

Why would you assume that because a guy doesn't like skinny women they are overweight? I prefer athletic women and average build women and still think chubby and skinny women can be real attractive. I know more than few guys who are young, in good shape, make good money, and really prefer women with some chub to them. I've seen them turn down hot women because they were too skinny. Crazy really.

As far as being insane... Guilty!



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Let me put it this way..as a size 14, but still with a nice womanly curvy shape, and 5'2, (btw, that is considered "fat" in today's society)..before I met my son's father, I never had one iota of a problem attracting men, getting dates, boyfriends, etc..
My skinnier friends would ask me why I was rarely single. I am not exactly sure of the answer but I suspect it has to do with comfort levels. A lot of men might fantasize about a skinny woman with no imperfections..but they end up being uncomfortable around their ideal as they perhaps feel intimidated in a way. With a soft, curvy woman..it's all about comfort..they know I was not going to spend three hours talking about dieting or "am I too fat?" complex..I cook well, was soft to touch, had long hair..all the things that make a woman a woman..so they felt at ease. I only had one man tell me I was too fat in all those years and he told me years later he was truly sorry for being an a$$..lol



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord
 


I never said that men who don't like fit-skinny woman are overweight my friend, re-read my post carefully

I was replying more along the lines to the extremist posters who try to over analyze things talking about the beginnings of modeling in the 60s and somehow connecting pedophilia into things and how they don't see the benefits to being "fit". The OP's picture is a woman extremely fit, I'm not attracted to her because she has too much muscle, but that's just me. She's a professional athlete, and if anyone thinks her muscle is fat then they're a little delusional.

I'm just perplexed at those who think it's WRONG to like skinny/fit women/men.
As far as being attracted to a little softer type of person, well everyone has there thing, but let's not pretend that it's better (or worse) than those "less soft".

It comes down to, some people are attracted to those who are noticeably more physically healthy than others, and other people are attracted by some extra meat on the bones which is fine.

Trying to think about it any more than that is a little futile.



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I was not 'conditioned' to like the thinner girls. I was naturally attracted to them since elementary school. Its all taste. People have different tastes and they like to make assumptions saying "how could anybody be attracted to that! It must be TV influence, etc"



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord
reply to post by skitzspiricy
 


This sounds like a problem then.

How do we convince the majority of women this is a good idea?




It might be quite difficult, depends what kind of Woman you go for.

Any self respecting Woman, wouldn't give their Husbands or Boyfreinds a lap dance in the middle of a nightclub. Unless of course she's doing it for publicity and attention.

Especially a Women on her own 40th birthday, shouldn't it be the other way round?

I'd feel short changed if i had to give my Husband or Partner a lap dance on my own 40th birthday. I'd be like "AY!! It's my birthday, You please me"

edit on 22-4-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by splint
I was not 'conditioned' to like the thinner girls. I was naturally attracted to them since elementary school. Its all taste. People have different tastes and they like to make assumptions saying "how could anybody be attracted to that! It must be TV influence, etc"


Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's all about personal preference and perception. Nobody should be ridiculed by the type of Woman or Man they are attracted too. Everyone has different tastes. And Women and Men of various shapes and sizes should never be ridiculed because they don't look like someone in a magazine, film or music video.

I would have to disagree with your stance on conditioning being an assumption though. You may not be personally conditioned (or you may think you're not) but a lot of people are to some extent, especially the younger generations. They are constantly being bombarded by the media with people who have the 'perfect' bodies, stick thin, no blemishes, fake appendages, airbrushed and photoshopped to 'perfection'.

Then as soon as these highly photographed people go out into the world and get papped with no make up, a bit of a stomach, cellulite etc, they are blasted all over these magazines saying how disgusting they look. Now that gives the sheep who lap this garbage up two options. 1) Be attracted to the fake acceptable images or, 2) Be attracted to the real unacceptable images.

As the headlines always say along with the fake images "OMG they look so beautiful" and the real looking images are all "OMG look at the state of that.....Disgusting!" They will naturally gravitate to the images that are said to look beautiful and shake their heads in disgust at all the real images. Because that's what they believe they should do, because the magazine says so.

The media have made it so socially acceptable to ridicule anyone that doesn't fit in with their idea of perfection, that people will unnaturally strive to look like a model in a magazine or strive to find someone that looks like a model in a magazine, so they themselves do not get ridiculed.

That my friend is conditioning the public to think that Perfection = Good and Reality = Bad. Media driven Perfection and Beauty, albeit incredibly fake, sells. Why does it sell? Because they made it that way.

Now most Women have an unreachable goal of trying to look like a fake photograph, and most Men have an unreachable goal of trying to bag someone who looks just like so an so does in a fake photograph. Without realising or questioning that the image has been highly manipualted and that the person in reality is just like you or I. Not a goddess to be worshipped, Not 'perfect', just Human.

I watched a programme a few months back on Channel 4 in the UK. I think it was 'The Sex Education Show', or maybe 'Embarrassing Bodies' (can't quite remember).
The Guy in the programme showed a bunch or 15/16 year old Boys and Girls photographs of various Women naked. some where natural, some were enhanced with plastic surgery, some skinny, some a bit plump. He asked them to pick what they think a Woman should look like. They all picked the overly enhanced, stick thin, non blemished Woman. The exact same Woman you would find in a magazine, airbrushed and photoshopped to 'perfection'. These Kids actually believed that, that was what an average woman should look like...Accept no substitute!... Worst of all, the Girls actually believed that, THAT was what they should look like and if they look any different they are defective.

We are all different and come in various shapes and sizes, there is no 'average' or 'normal' or 'perfection', it's an illusion that's been thrust upon us to make lots of money by manipulating our weaknessess and insecurities.


edit on 22-4-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Perfect theory which makes a lot of sense, but I myself have always leaned toward the idea that Media has brought about the new age of whats pretty and whats not, you never see healthy "chubby" woman on a cat walk, it's always these thin pale models. Anyways great post



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX
 


I remember hearing Judge Judy saw "Beauty is fleeting....stupid is forever"
I saw this video a long time ago, and I love it. It is making a statement on how media tells us "you aren't good enough" "you aren't thin enough" "you aren't pretty enough" .......take from it what you will....I think the meaning of it is that the media is constantly telling us what "beauty" is, and it constantly changes, and for most, despite all their efforts, perfection is unattainable. It's a kind creepy video, but I love it....very creative!




posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Give me a skinny Asian girl any day of the week...

Wait...I'm dating one tomorrow...



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Maybe men are projecting all of their frustration at being fat and out of shape onto the women. Since their too undisciplined to get off the couch and quit watching other people excercise, aka sports, or drop the game controller and get their weak punk #$$ in the gym themselves. I don't watch sports so I had never seen this chick but she's pretty good looking in my book. I think men a just so disappointed in themselves so they push it onto the women. I work out quite a bit and yes its a pain. Yes it takes up a lot of my time and I can't eat the way I want. But if I expect a woman to look good then it starts with me.



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I've always been a fan of women with a bit of extra meat.

Skinny girls seem frail to me and I'd hate to break them lol.

I think having a bit of body fat makes you look healthy.



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Also, stop watching tv. I have for several years now. Its nice not to be brain washed so you develop your own opinions without being programmed what it should be.



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I think.......that the fact that we will even ENGAGE in a discussion about whether a VERY SUCCESSFUL, PROFESSIONAL athlete or ballet dancer is TOO fat, tells me, that as a society, we might have a problem.

Weight is the burka of the woman of the West.

Oh, I can only speak for myself, I don't want to see a woman showing her skin. I prefer a thin woman. I think most men would.
Oh, I can only speak for myself, I don't want to see a woman with fat jiggling. I prefer a modest woman. I think most men would.



new topics




 
25
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

log in

join