It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since When Was Thinness Equated With Beauty?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

I have absolutely NO idea why I just posted that video to my FB - but - there ya go.

Have to admit though I saw a show here the other day where women (here in Italy) are getting fat injected into their hind ends to achieve that nice plump round 'Rio-Look.'

I suggest looking up 'surra de bunda' on You Tube. Can't post it here, lol.

Great tune... And nice well, nothing skinny here.

Sad thing to add?
I truly wish the 'skinny skin' wasn't 'in'... I'm sick to death of fasting and going hungry just so I can be a size 6 here which is like a 3 USA... Hate it!

peace

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'm a little perturbed by the fact people are considering this woman to be fat. If I had her body, I'd be really happy!

Who is to be blamed really, though, for how beauty is perceived? The women who used to be slim, who now bear the lumps and bumps of older age, or been through carrying a child, who glamorize and idolise women they can no longer be?
The media who plaster them everywhere and make you feel that is how you should be?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Here is something to add in here. Being very thin started in the 60's I believe like the others, with Twiggy and the like. Its when film started being much more popular. Thin women photograph better.. its a fact

Im married, have been forever, and dont need the attention from the males.. end of story. Im giving measurements to show that real life and film are 2 different worlds.

Im 5'4" and fluctuate between 120 and 130 lbs. I just got measured for a salwar Kameez.. so I know my current measurements are 39-30-38. Ive had 3 children and Im in my 40's. #1 it shoots down the one posters claim about having children.. but more interesting is that I have not changed my shape much since high school and while in college my friends and I went to make extra money modeling for ads and etc. They were skinny and tall.. Im curvy and short... the husband says I have the body of a glass Coke bottle. LOL. In the 30's - 50's Id have landed the job because of the curves.. big boobs and butt.. and small waist by proportion. In the 1980's? They got the jobs... and I got a fetish photography offer
In person I got and get plenty of attention.. but on film even with my proportions.. I dont look the same.. Iook odd due to my height and what film reflects it as. Add to that Im darker skinned and black haired. Even more not the ideal for what the public is told is attractive. In order to fit this mold for fashion and film, you have to be tall, skinny, few curves, and more of a plain canvass for them to work some artistic voodoo on you. Women who dominate fashion and film are not typical every day women and more like props as they absolutely dont resemble in person what you see on film. People are being fed a false image and told this is the ideal for women.. and its absolutely not an attainable goal for anywhere approaching the majority of women.. because its NOT real.

A woman like me with a curvy body can barely find clothing that fits correctly. Most clothes are made for a straight or less curvy figure. Most of the jeans seem as if they are made for preteen boys with no difference in the waist and hip measurements. Clothing reflects what is desired I think.. stick thin and no curves. This strange ideal the industry has convinced everyone of. I cant imagine what heavier women do that have a waist of any kind.. the clothing is not there to fit them. Trying to find a bra that fits a 38 or 40 large c small d is nearly impossible if I dont want to spend 60 bucks a bra from a decent shop. Things arent made for normal/average sized women. I have NO idea who the fashion industry is targeting... other than women they have driven crazy to become 5'11" and 110 lbs. with no breasts at all or ones that require any support!

I believe that your body type is controlled by genetics.. and you can over-eat or starve, but in essence others will always be able to see if its actually you or youre an eater or dieting obsessed. I have done absolutely nothing to aid in my body shape other than not be a gluttonous slob or weight obsessed work out fiend. I believe that men prefer something that is not this odd ideal of women that is being pimped by the fashion and entertainment industry and prefer something "natural" or "real" within the fat to skinny yardstick. To me these women in the fashion industry and even most actresses look unnatural, unhealthy, and masculine. I dont know of any men that dont want at least some curve on an adult woman... I guess unless they were into the terribly young ones which is another subject in itself. One of the threads here on ATS was shocking due to the number of men who claimed they'd "hit that" concerning a barely legal woman who appeared to be 10 or 12 yrs old, flat as a board and no waist whatsoever. She was by all visual cues.. a child.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Ive seen "overweight" women who were absolutely stunning and underweight women that were simply painful to even look at. Ive seen overweight women who were enough to turn my stomach and under weight women who were real beauties. Much of it has to do with what your body is naturally and the way you project yourself to others in real life. I think others can tell if you are unnatural.. as in you are an over-eater or weight obsessed.. and this reflects badly. Sloppy fat reflects a person who cares little for themselves and anorexically thin reflects a person with some serious issues. If a person is confident and themselves of almost any weight they are in demand by the opposite sex.... fat or thin or somewhere in the middle.

Thats my .02 anyway

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Not to be a pedant much, but ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’ was written by Brian May, Queen’s reliably heterosexual lead guitarist. Mind you, Brian did say in an interview that he tried to write songs ‘Freddie would enjoy singing.’

Fred swung both ways, you know. And he did once sing a romantic duet with a fat lady...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
You know what im sick off?

Obese women insulting skinny women.

Skinny women rock. I love a girl who works out and looks after her body.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
There always seams to be a manipulation to fashion...
Like the way European royalty made beaver hats the rage in europe
in order to fund the conquest of north america

Also the touted ideal is less common
when times are tough, fat is a sign of wealth...
like high heel boots, or bound feet, says a person doesn't have to walk...
when food is plentiful then thin is in...

by the looks of things
BBW is going to make a "resurrection" soon...

PS
I prefer athletic because other then sitting at the computer which is physically solitary,
the things I like to share are physical.

Athletic lifestyle means it isn't an ordeal to be what you are,
and you have the added benefit of being able...
edit on 21-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Since When Was Thinness Equated With Beauty?,

Since the wise Greeks realized that one wrinkle was more than enough on a female body.
edit on 21-4-2011 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

Who cares how skinny or fat she is!

Can she cook and hold an intelligent conversation about how to fix a dodgy coil on my motorbike?
edit on 21/4/2011 by nerbot because: spellig

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jstanthrno1

The left one and the middle are perfect and the right is just too big.
edit on 21-4-2011 by jstanthrno1 because: change mind

That was like looking at the stages of 'me'

From left to right: Me aged 15..... Me aged 19.... Me (almost, I'm a little smaller) now after having my kids!

I struggle with my self-esteem regarding my size these days and look at old pictures longingly but bizarrely everyone I know always says that I look BETTER now. People who haven't seen me since I was 'skinny' might bump into me and the first they always say is "oh my god, you look amazing" so I guess I look healthier and better with a little weight on me. This, however, doesn't seem to stop my paranoia of being 'fat' and have been known to go weeks eating very little. I just want to look like all the slim attractive people you see on the tv and movies. Stupid huh? Plus, as someone mentioned already, buying clothes when you have curves is an absolute nightmare.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Bah, not a fan of skinny boney women. I like a woman with a little meat on their bones. There's an old saying where I come from "the bigger the cushion the easier the pushin!"

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jstanthrno1

The left one and the middle are perfect and the right is just too big.
edit on 21-4-2011 by jstanthrno1 because: change mind

From left to right: not even interested in; possible booty call; definite long term.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I for one like my woman to have some curves, way more sexy than a skinny flat board. I think the classic hourglass shape of Aphrodite is where it's at.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It get tiresome to hear about how "fat" girls put "skinny" girls down. Women and men come in different body shapes. I will never be a waif, and that's perfectly fine by me. I am 6' tall and have a happy mixture of fat and muscle on my body. I can't get rid of my hips. I don't want to get rid of my butt or boobs. Yeah, I have fat rolls. Yeah, it jiggles. Yeah, my fiance loves it!

I see men out there that are imperfect, limiting themselves on ultra-thin women with a lot of silicone/surgery that quite honestly, they could never get. I see women that look at themselves in a mirror and worry that their size 16 jeans are too tight. I see little girls that look up to these thin women, and it is positively sad that they will grow up, more concerned if they are too fat, than getting an education and making something of themselves.

I am not saying that grossly obese women are beautiful. People who do not take care of themselves are not sexy. This goes for the anorexic women as well.

www.accessrx.com...
cdn.sheknows.com...

Look at those links, none of those women are healthy. That tennis player is perfectly healthy, and to the idiot that thinks she is mannish, you might want to get laid a time or two to familiarize yourself with a woman's body.
edit on 21-4-2011 by Natasliah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
60's aside, the fashion of the 30's made women of the western world want to diminish their curves...

I used to be shockingly skinny, not by neglect but by design. It was just my genes. Now in my late thirties & three children later I've never been happier with my body. Figure I'm just a late bloomer. haha

Whoever came out with the notion skinny girls cant give birth without todays medical intervention has got some strange ideas. Maybe a quick lesson on the wonderful workings of the pregnant body is in order.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I work out at the gym daily so I can be healthy/fit. You have no idea how many times I hear the "God, you should eat a burger" comment. I understand they are insecure about their bodies (most of the time) but resorting to petty comments is just immature. The other comment I get the most is "men love women with curves" which confuses me for the most part. The women saying this are confusing being fat with being curvy. Curvy is more of a body type like Marilyn Monroe, Mariah Carey and Salma Hayek. I've learned to not respond to those girls over the years but their comments still get to me sometimes.

edit on 4/21/2011 by Scribbles because: Format messed up.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If she ain't got curves, she's not a woman. If you're into ultra skinny girls, you're fooling yourself.

You're actually into 13 year old boys with fake boobs.

Chicks have hips, and should have a booty, the way nature intended them. Marylin Monroe was a smokin hottie, and a size 14 or 16 I believe...

Size 2... Size 1??? seriously, wtf is that even?

Hey hip bones, hows about you eat a sandwich!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scribbles
I work out at the gym daily so I can be healthy/fit. You have no idea how many times I hear the "God, you should eat a burger" comment. I understand they are insecure about their bodies (most of the time) but resorting to petty comments is just immature. The other comment I get the most is "men love women with curves" which confuses me for the most part. The women saying this are confusing being fat with being curvy. Curvy is more of a body type like Marilyn Monroe, Mariah Carey and Salma Hayek. I've learned to not respond to those girls over the years but their comments still get to me sometimes.

I'm a dude saying it... not an insecure chick. I like a tone and fit body, but don't lose the curves. A tone physique has plenty of curves, if your profile looks like a 2x4 board with a couple of augmented bumps up top,

"Not gonna happen, Captain"

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scribbles

I actually stopped going to the gym when I was younger because of the filthy looks and those types of comments. Hell I didn't need to get skinny I just wanted to work on toning.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Marylin Monroe was a size 12 I believe. She was not thin by any means, and a very pretty woman who many men admired.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join